• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kairi's Revelation in the Series & Future

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

While we await KINGDOM HEARTS III, what kind of role do you think Kairi will play in the future? Alongside Sora and Riku, Kairi has also grown as a character and from behind-the-scenes. She possesses a number of important aspects that shaped the storyline and as well as hints that could shape the future the series.

A Fairy Tale

Kairi’s grandmother frequently told her a fairy tale that evidently will play an important factor during the events of KINGDOM HEARTS III; as it tells the history of the Keyblade War. From E3 2014’s teaser, it seems that Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus have also heard stories of the same event from their Master. Other characters that also know the fairy tale include Yen Sid and Maleficent. All these revelations are referring to the storyline that is taking place in KINGDOM HEARTS χ [chi]. Young Xehanort’s fascination of the fairy tale eventually sparked his interest into plotting another Keyblade War. Since a few characters are familiar of the fairy tale, Kairi and Yen Sid may contribute their knowledge to better assess the situation that Master Xehanort is plotting.

The stories mention Keyblade wielders fighting over the light in a Keyblade War but darkness swallowed everything including their hearts, the true Kingdom Hearts, ‘lost masters’, and the χ-blade. However, small fragments of light survived within the hearts of children and rebuilt the world. The χ-blade was divided into seven to protect the seven pure hearts. The pure hearts, also known as Princesses of Heart, are an important source of light in the worlds. If they are lost, the worlds are once again lost to darkness.

Long ago, people lived in peace, bathed in the warmth of light.

Role of her Character

Kairi is a person who both Sora and Riku consider as important. However, Sora and Riku’s strong feelings and memories for Kairi, which makes part of their strength and weakness, have been used against them by their enemies. In KINGDOM HEARTS, Riku was more susceptible to darkness as he wanted to save Kairi. Maleficent and Ansem (Xehanort’s Heartless) notably have manipulated the darkness inside of him in order to achieve their goals. In KINGDOM HEARTS II, Organization XIII has been using Kairi as a catalyst to fuel Sora’s anger and expose his vulnerabilities. If something bad were to happen to Kairi in KINGDOM HEARTS III, a similar situation may occur.

Kairi also creates a good luck charm from Thalassa shells for Sora. According to legend, sailors create these charms to ensure safe travels. The Oathkeeper is symbolic of Sora’s memories of Kairi whereas Oblivion is symbolic of Sora’s memories of Riku. This also explains when Roxas has been affected by Sora’s memories, he is shown wielding Oathkeeper and Oblivion. In the events of KINGDOM HEARTS Chain of Memories, Kairi’s charm changes appearance when Sora’s memories of Kairi have been altered. When Sora’s memories have been replaced by fake memories of Namine, the charm took form of a paopu fruit.

Oathkeeper and charm concept art.

Another scenario that involves Kairi’s memories is Xion. Xion, a puppet made by Vexen, was intended to siphon Sora’s memories from Roxas and become an alternative Keyblade wielder to be used in Xemnas’s plans to form Kingdom Hearts. The memories that Xion first absorbs are Sora’s strong memories for Kairi; making her strongly resemble Kairi as well.

Role of Princess of Heart

In the first KINGDOM HEARTS, we learned that Kairi plays the role of being one of the 7 Princesses of Heart. These princesses have hearts that are completely devoid of darkness and supposedly act as keys to unlock something greater. They are Kairi, Alice, Snow White, Jasmine, Belle, Cinderella, and Aurora.

The Princesses of Heart were pursued as early as during the events of KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep. Maleficent was told by Master Xehanort that the 7 Princesses of Heart were capable of granting and ruling untold power which influenced her to capture them. However in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, it was later revealed that Master Xehanort was merely using Maleficent as part of his plans to forge the χ-blade. So how do Kairi, being a Princess of Heart, affect KINGDOM HEARTS III? Master Xehanort plotted multiple scenarios in order to obtain his goal. He mentioned that if the 7 Guardians of Light refuse to clash with the 13 Darknesses, they will chase after the 7 Princesses of Heart as an alternative to reach his goal. The worlds of the Princesses of Heart may make an appearance in the game as they reside in respective worlds.

Kairi and her 'Nobody' Namine.

When Sora was opening his heart with the Keyblade of People’s Hearts, it inadvertently caused Sora to have a Nobody named Roxas—and another ‘Nobody’ named Namine. Their appearance and attributes were influenced by the hearts of Ventus and Kairi respectively. Nobodies are born from strong hearts that are lost to darkness and have turned into Heartless. Kairi however, having a pure heart, cannot turn into a Heartless and have a traditional Nobody. DiZ specifically refers to Namine as a special Nobody as she was born from the pure heart of Kairi and the body of Sora. Because Namine is born from Sora’s body, she also possesses the ability to manipulate Sora’s memories and those connected to him. Kairi's pure heart also purified Sora back into human when he was in the form of a Heartless.

Despite the claims of Organization XIII that Nobodies don’t have hearts, this lie was part of Master Xehanort’s plan to turn Organization XIII into possible vessels for the 13 Darknesses. DiZ mentioned that anything, including Nobodies, puppets, and so forth are capable of growing their own hearts. Judging from this description, Roxas, Namine, and along with Xion may reappear as whole selves if Sora and Kairi accepts them as persons of their own.

Young Kairi touches Aqua's Keyblade.

Role of Keyblade Wielder

In KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep, Kairi unintentionally performed the Rite of Succession with Aqua by grasping onto her Keyblade when she tried to run away from the Unversed. The Rite of Succession does not necessarily hand down a Keyblade but when a person’s heart meets the qualifications of a strong heart, he or she should be able to have the ability to wield a Keyblade. This eventually allowed Kairi to wield a Keyblade during the events of KINGDOM HEARTS II. Destiny’s Embrace is the Keyblade unique to Kairi.

While Master Xehanort said it was a requirement to have 7 Guardians of Light, 13 Darknesses, and 7 Princesses of Heart, what potentially makes Kairi very special is that she can be capable of being both a Guardian of Light and a Princess of Heart. In the secret ending of KINGDOM HEARTS 3D titled ‘Another Guardian of Light’, the following phrases are mentioned:

The darkness awakens
the light in the darkness
leads to the last key.

It shows Kairi possibly about to undergo the Mark of Mastery. Most likely these phrases could be referring to Xehanort's plans, Aqua's presence in the Realm of Darkness, and Kairi. Will Kairi be the person that saves everyone this time? Why is she the ‘last key’?

When one undergoes the Mark of Mastery, Yen Sid trains them under the Realm of Sleep and Keyblade apprentices unlock Sleeping Keyholes along the way. Presumably, Kairi will be traveling to worlds besides the ones Sora and Riku has already unlocked. One world I have in mind is Daybreak Town since it’s connected to the fairy tale Kairi knew from her grandmother. It was a world that was lost to darkness or rather—to sleep. KINGDOM HEARTS χ [chi] revealed that Chirithy is a Dream Eater. Since Chirithy hasn’t been available during the course of KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, he may reappear during the events of Kairi’s Mark of Mastery instead.

What do you think Kairi will do in KINGDOM HEARTS III? Please give us your thoughts and comments!

Jack-Pumpkinhead

Awards
Re: Kairi's Revelation in the Series & Future

My personal thought/hope is that Kairi will at some point be either a playable character or at least a party member. I've always loved Kairi, I admit to shipping her & Sora, & I really want her to do more than just a background girl who has to be rescued again. They are setting her up to be more than that, & I hope they follow through with that setup.

MikhaliX

As a party member hopefully. I'm tired of Donald & Goofy though I get why people like them. I just want more party members that aren't world exclusive.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

My personal thought/hope is that Kairi will at some point be either a playable character or at least a party member. I've always loved Kairi, I admit to shipping her & Sora, & I really want her to do more than just a background girl who has to be rescued again. They are setting her up to be more than that, & I hope they follow through with that setup.

Yeah it seems like the story is setting her up to do something more than just wait around.

As a party member hopefully. I'm tired of Donald & Goofy though I get why people like them. I just want more party members that aren't world exclusive.

It would be great if Kairi became a playable character. After being introduced to Birth by Sleep's diverse set of characters, I feel like they should do something similar for Kingdom Hearts III.

Kaijuguy19

I hope that whatever's planned for Kairi for KH3 it'll be satisfying. She deserve a large role since this is the end of this saga.

Rosebudx

Awards

I really want Kairi to have a bigger role in 3. I've seen a theory tossed around somewhere that Sora, Riku, and Kairi will have a storyline similar to the BBS crew and will all be playable in their own, occasionally-intersecting stories, with Sora doing the thing he always does and barricading the various worlds against their own dark issues, Riku trying to piece together the lights, and Kairi doing something with the Princesses of Hearts. While I'm not sure I like the entire scenario, I would love to have Kairi (and Riku!) appear as playable characters, at least for a bit.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Great theory zephyr. This and the art, you may just be Nomura in disguise.

especially the part that chi might just be kairi's MoM exam, at least part of it. By the time III rolls around, hopefully she'll be done and will be more important.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards

The biggest problem I have here is that Yen Sid said the journey to the Sleeping Realm isn't how the Mark of Mastery is usually done. Given the trouble it caused, I don't think he'd ever send a student back there. Not to mention, there's not much of a Sleeping Realm left to go to. The implication was kind of that those worlds stuck there were the only ones there and that's why the Dream Eaters were all in Traverse Town, the Town stayed behind despite being released because it was needed there. All the Keyholes were unlocked.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Well traverse town is a home for people without homes, and TWTNW was able to exist simultaneously in both realms of light and sleep so why not? Of course, TWTNW doesn't exactly exist but perhaps TT doesn't either? Maybe its the soul to EOTW's heartless and TWTNW' nobody.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards

I always felt she should be 2nd in command in the group (in this scenario Riku/Mickey go their own way for plot reasons) so we'll get Kairi learning to wield and interacting more with Sora and more importantly Kairi actually being an active participant in the story. I swear there have been more scenes that reminiscence about Kairi than they were actual scenes that Kairi speaks in.

Xagzan

Awards

What should she do? Something. Anything. Pleeeeeaaase, just let her have a significant role. Ideally, a playable one, but even if that doesn't happen, let her have an actual arc. If Riku can have one in every game, surely she's entitled to at least one.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

She needs to be important, yes, but I don't want anyone playable for sora's game except sora. She and lea should team up as a ginger duo and learn how to wield keyblades together while protecting their own princesses.

Rage-Roxas

Awards

I just want her to be something else than just an annyoing princess who cant do anything herself. She needs more development, hope it's not too late yet. I think she's getting an important role in KH III. And please Square Enix, we don't want her to be The Princess Who Sora Gotta Rescue. Maybe then I'll like her, so far she's been just The Annyoing Can't Do Anything Help Me-princess.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

Hmm I've made a minor edit concerning the phrases:

The darkness awakens
the light in the darkness
leads to the last key.

Initially I thought it was referring to one person but the cutscene was organized in such a way that I realized it's talking about three people but leading to one of them which are Xehanort, Aqua, and Kairi.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Nice revelation, lol I thought it meant one person too until I read it a couple times. It makes sense, but what role does aqua play besides waiting to be saved and being a GoL?

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

Nice revelation, lol I thought it meant one person too until I read it a couple times. It makes sense, but what role does aqua play besides waiting to be saved and being a GoL?

Same lol. When the phrases appear, the respective characters appear after it. Aqua is the only person that is able to navigate Castle Oblivion and find Ventus; whom could be the other key.

7wvAMr8.jpg

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Oh okay. I was thinking, I dunno, maybe kairi is the last line of defense or something? Lol, whatever the case we'll find out soon enough.

(maybe kairi unlocks the memories to finding ventus or something? Just a thought.)

Wander

I'll be that guy and say that I hope Kairi stays in the background however unlikely that seems at this point. Suddenly making this character whose been around since the beginning and has done next to nothing SUPER IMPORTANT feels really forced, that's how I felt about 3D's secret ending. KH3 will have so many characters, and not a lot of time, and I'd hate for precious screen time to be used trying to save Kairi from whatever character development hell she's in, especially considering 3D's secret ending "trying to fix it" will probably translate to shoving her in our faces.

You dun fiddled it up, the end of the saga ain't no time to try and fix it.

To the poster above, you really only need Aqua and Sora to wake up Ventus so eh.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards

^ nah, not entirely true.

Having replayed Kingdom Hearts 2, you can't really say she doesn't do anything (referring to the scene where she gets a Keyblade and actually outright says that she wants to help). I mean, if you go back and look at her actions throughout the series it's not so much that she's a weak character and can't/don't wants to do anything, but more so that she doesn't get a chance to because the villains clearly know her worth. Granted, the execution is far from great, but she definitely is a character that wants to help (let's not forget she's the one that brought Sora back to his original self), so if she gets a chance, who knows what'll come out of it?

Xagzan

Awards

She needs to be important, yes, but I don't want anyone playable for sora's game except sora. She and lea should team up as a ginger duo and learn how to wield keyblades together while protecting their own princesses.

Riku and Roxas were both playable in KH2.

I would prefer Kairi having a full game to herself, but with BBS2 no longer a thing, who knows when that opportunity could happen?

I'll be that guy and say that I hope Kairi stays in the background however unlikely that seems at this point. Suddenly making this character whose been around since the beginning and has done next to nothing SUPER IMPORTANT feels really forced, that's how I felt about 3D's secret ending. KH3 will have so many characters, and not a lot of time, and I'd hate for precious screen time to be used trying to save Kairi from whatever character development hell she's in, especially considering 3D's secret ending "trying to fix it" will probably translate to shoving her in our faces.

Not a lot of time? This isn't a 2 hour movie. Besides, it doesn't take that much time to jump-start a character's development. And like it or not, she is still the main heroine, which automatically makes her important, not even including the PoH factor. The fact that the writers haven't known what to do with her doesn't change that.

^ nah, not entirely true.

Having replayed Kingdom Hearts 2, you can't really say she doesn't do anything (referring to the scene where she gets a Keyblade and actually outright says that she wants to help). I mean, if you go back and look at her actions throughout the series it's not so much that she's a weak character and can't/don't wants to do anything, but more so that she doesn't get a chance to because the villains clearly know her worth. Granted, the execution is far from great, but she definitely is a character that wants to help (let's not forget she's the one that brought Sora back to his original self), so if she gets a chance, who knows what'll come out of it?

I think you're being very generous to the writers... >_>

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back