• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Keys

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oathshadow

The first 2 chapters of my fanfic. Further posting is conditional, corresponding to the amount of response I receive. It makes almost no sense in light of new developments in the KH universe, but I wrote this before the realease of CoM. Enjoy.:)
Chapter 1
Jac leaned against the wall of the Moogles' Accessory Shop, staring at the sky as hundreds of thousands of stars blazed upwards into their places in the black dome, twinkling as they had before. He gripped the strange sword that the sorcerer Merlin had given him, the symbol of a foreign King on its pommel. Merlin had called it the Dream Sword; he had said that it possessed powers, having once been used by a great hero.

Jac didn't know about heroes, but he did know it had powers. He had ventured into the 2nd District again just after receiving it. The Heartless had become weak once more, shadows that rose from the ground. Jac had fought them, though he wasn't sure how, and the Dream Sword had shone with an odd light.

Jac's parents were gone. His mother had died a long time ago, and his father...Jac thought that the man Sora claimed to have seen being killed by the Heartless was his father.

Jac hated the Heartless. He didn't know who Sora was but that he was a traveler, and friends with Leon. Even so, he wished he could have gone with Sora wherever he went. It would be better than here, in this terrible place filled with awful memories.

The strange sight in the sky ceased as Jac stood, clenching his fist tight against the smooth hilt of the Dream Sword. With his free hand he took out the orichalum he had found. Those strange things the Moogles made made him stronger. The chain around his neck...they called it the Heartguard...clattered as he stalked to the entrance of the Accessory shop. He had half-copied the walk from Sora. Jac admired the traveler a great deal. He wished he had a Keyblade. Even so, he would probably have used the Dream Sword anyway. Three Stars hung from his waist. The Titan Chain was tight on his right arm. Jac smiled faintly at the Ribbon hanging from the Dream Sword's crossguard.

The Moogles' expressions never changed when Jac came in, but all three squeaked happily. The only Moogle whose name Jac knew, Loom, waddled up to him.

“ And how is our new best customer, Jac?” he asked in his squeaky voice.

Jac nodded at the Moogle. “ I'm fine, Loom,” he waved at the other two. “ I've got some new gems. Wanna make me another of your Power Ups you love synthesizing so much?”

“ Synthesizing has gotten...harder.”

“ Since when?” Jac let his grip on the Dream Sword go slack.

“ Since five minutes ago, kupo,” Loom muttered, turning to the other Moogles. They nodded. “ The Ether I was working on didn't turn out right, kupo. I wasn't trying hard, but-”

“ Can you still make me that Power Up?”

“ I dunno, Jac,” Loom backed up a few steps. “ I'd be sure if I had twice the ingredients...”

“ I have them!” Jac took a quick look around. The room seemed weaker. He quickly dished out the various ingredients, including the two Mystery Goos it had taken him three days to get.

Loom, with the help of the other two Moogles, carried the ingredients to the forge and started at their work. All of them worked on the thing, which was rare. Jac had asked, and the last time they had done that was when Sora had asked for the Ultima Weapon.

He waited only ten minutes before he was presented with a large bottle full of a translucent red liquid. Taking the bottle, Jac hurried out the door. The Moogles didn't like watching people when their physique suddenly changed, as small as the change was.

Jac bit off the lid of the bottle, lifted the drink to his lips, and gulped it down. He felt it move through him in the next few moments, and then he was stronger. He simply felt...more. Smiling with satisfaction, Jac hurried to the courtyard, staring at the door of the world. No one but Sora and his allies had gone beyond that door. Jac longed to leave.

Something flickered at the corners of Jac's vision. He looked, and there was a faded image. A man in black robes, the hood pulled so far up that no face could be seen.

“ Go to the 2nd District,” the voice was less real than what Jac saw.

“ Why?” Jac tensed.

“ Go to the fountain.”

“ Why?”

“ Go.”

Chapter 2
The man in the robes vanished, leaving Jac staring at the empty space between him and the lady Mai next to the ducks' item shop. He couldn't make heads or tails of what had just happened, but he knew he had to do as the robed man had said.

Jac trotted up the steps two at a time and hurried past Tyler where he always stood next to the Accessory Shop door. The next flight of steps took more time for Jac because he stumbled over a long wooden splinter on the fourth step.

Rushing past the empty cases lining the left wall of the First District's upper terrace, Jac saw his reflection. Fair skinned, with dauntless brown eyes and sandy brown hair that fell to his shoulders in spikes. He used to wear plain clothes, but lately he had taken up wearing a lavish, short, black cape that he could cover himself with on chilly nights, and stark black shirt, vest, and pants. His Heartguard gleamed at the base of his throat, a multi-faceted dark gem in the shape of a heart. A thick silver-colored chain was tied around his arm, the Titan Chain, and Three Stars was an emerald, a ruby, and a sapphire dangling on a gold chain from his belt. For the first time in a good while he noticed that he no longer looked as innocent as when Sora last went away those months before. He seemed too dark.

Jac stood before the Second District door and told himself that he only needed a hood like that of the robed man and he could look the way he wanted. If the Heartless were made of people's hearts, as Sora said, didn't that mean hearts were black?

The door opened with a creak and Jac rushed through, forcing it back shut before any Heartless could appear. He had let a Heartless into the First District once. It had taken him four days to track it down and kill it. Strangely, no Heartless rose from the silent stone slabs of the Second District walkway. Jac almost wished there were. He wanted to test his new strength on them.

Shaking off the thought, Jac jogged to the edge of the walkway and leapt off. It was only a seven foot drop. He had taken a worse fall off of the top of the Gizmo Shop before. Smiling, Jac let his eyes be drawn to the mural beyond the fountain as he walked to its front. This mural was where Sora had sealed Traverse Town. It made Jac wonder what all the traveler could do.

A shadow formed in a pool in the fountain's waters. Startled, Jac raised the Dream Sword defensively. The shadow shifted and began to coalesce. In moments, the black-robed man was there, floating feet above the ground.

“It is time,” the man said. His voice was dark and distant, like an echo of some great and terrible past.

“ For what?” Jac demanded. The Heartguard was cold against his neck.
“ There are many Keys.”

“ What?” Jac raised an eyebrow. A suspicion was growing in his mind. Was this dark man mad?

“ For locking doors, there is the Kingdom, the root of the Keys; for unlocking hearts there is the Anti-Kingdom, a mocking of the root,” the words formed in Jac's head, but he could not understand. “ But there is another Key. A Ghost-Key. It is not truly a Key at all. It is a way to bypass the borders protecting the worlds. It-”

“ W-wait!” Jac held up a hand, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. “ What are you talking about?”

“ This,” the robed man held out his hand and murky light flared into being. For an instant this light floated in shapelessness, and then suddenly the light was replaced by an object that was at once familiar and completely new.

“ A Keyblade!” Jac gasped. His heart began to beat more quickly.

“ Yes,” the dark man lowered his hand, but the strange object stayed in its place. It was very much like Sora's Keyblade. It had the same type of hand design, though this one's was more finely curved, and it had the same shaft. But it was a sickly grey color, like the light it had been born from, and on the end there was nothing. The very tip seemed to fade into the air. And there was no chain on which to attach such artifacts as would change the shape of the Keyblade. But there was a place for attaching such a chain. “ A Keyblade of sorts. But this...this is the Ghost-Key. It cannot lock or unlock. It shifts and balances, it counter-strokes. This Key will find a way through the locks of the Kingdom Key to the heart.” The Ghost-Key wavered and dropped into the waters of the fountain. Jac leapt onto the ledge and reached for it, but the robed man stopped him with a warning hand.

“ Why would I want into a heart?” Jac inquired.

“ This world is locked,” the dark man answered. “ To be more specific, there is a blockade around the heart of this world. This Key can find a way past it.”

“ But why?”

“ That is the question,” the robed man folded his arms. “ The answer, I cannot give. Take the Key, and all things will change.”

“ I need a change,” Jac muttered, plunging his hand into the water. As his hand closed around the handle of the Ghost-Key, light began to shine above him.

A doorway of light stood behind the robed man. Jac, holding the Dream Sword in one hand and the Ghost-Key in another, could not see what was beyond the man. All he could see was darkness.

“ The Ghost-Key cannot harm the Heartless,” the dark man said as he stepped backwards into the portal. “ The Heartless are hearts themselves, so you would only pass the blade through them. This Key is not a weapon.” Then, the man was gone.

The waters of the fountain were cold tonight. Jac's left hand twitched to keep itself warm. He stared at the Ghost-Key, his very own Keyblade. But it was not a weapon. It could not harm the Heartless. All it could do was find the way to the heart. Jac shoved the Key into his belt and rushed out of the Second District before any Heartless could come.

Standing in the duck's item shop, Jac appraised his new belt. It was decent enough, but what was really important were the two sheaths on it. At the right hip would be the Ghost-Key, whereas on the left and accessible to his dominant hand was the Dream Sword. Jac nodded to the duck in the red for his craftsmanship, or his ability to steal from behind Leon's back, whichever one was true. Then he went out into the constant night to be alone with his thoughts.

First things first, Jac strapped on his new belt. Next came the Dream Sword where he had dashed it into a crack of the courtyard. Nobody else in town was strong enough to pull it back out again, so he felt safe with it. Afterwards, he went to the broken boards and the hidden spot where he had stashed the Ghost-Key.

Thus arrayed, Jac made his way back to the Moogles' Synthesis shop. He went inside and greeted Loom, thanking him for all of the “jewelry” he had made, and then left. Jac had it in his mind to find his way out of Traverse Town, and he meant to do it then. There was no one else to say good-bye to. He was alone in this world, or any other.

The Second District was again devoid of Heartless. The lack of them made Jac uneasy. Something strange was happening, and he was pretty sure it had to do with both the event in the sky two night before and Sora's extended absence. But that no longer mattered. What mattered was life was changing for Jac, and it was happening soon.

The mural was the same as the day before yesterday, though for some reason the fountain had drained of water. Jac stood on the ledge staring at the mural for sometime before pulling out the Ghost-Key. He had no idea how to do this, but-

Suddenly, vision failed Jac, and then what he saw was only images of his mind's eye.

A woman's face, shrouded in shadows, looked on the child with tears flowing down her cheeks. “ Twins,” someone said, “ and both dead.”

A man, fallen to his knees with a white organic spear arm through his gut, reaches out to a yellow-eyed black thing that simply stares at him. “ You are made of what you do not have!” he shouts through the pain. “ Why do you not fight them too?”

The winds whisper his name, Jac! The man who was whole and Heartless, and then he thought he was whole. He cannot be whole. Not until you-

Jac gave a violent shake and came to, feeling moistness on his forehead. He touched it and examined his hand to find it red with blood. He pushed away from the mural wall angrily.
What was that?” he demanded of the Ghost-Key, but it did not answer him. The mural shimmered, or perhaps it was just Jac's eyes playing tricks on him. He hacked at the thing with the Key aimlessly.

The Key's end shimmered and vanished into the mural.

Jac drew in a sharp breath and fell backwards off the ledge.

The Ghost-Key, protruding from the stone, shone with the same murky light that Jac had seen earlier. Scratching at his head and trying to ignore its throbbing ache, he grabbed the Key and shoved it further in.

Jac tumbled through the mural into pink- and red-hued light. He could see nothing but that and himself, standing there like a fool with the Ghost-Key in his hands. He soaked in the sight. It would have been beautiful if he knew what it was. He supposed that it might be the heart of the world, but hearts were supposed to be black. Maybe worlds were different.

Then the light was gone, and something clicked, like a door opening. Jac fell forward into a dusty cave filled with paintings and his mind went numb.

Last edited:

Oathshadow

Wow, thanks! And in the first day, too! Considering that, I suppose I'll post chapter three, after the third post that occurs. I have to finish this. I'm stuck on the last chapter (chapter 9) and its tough. Inspiration, Guardian of Hearts? I write with what you're protecting. I write about my passions. And it comes through. Enough about that, hope that gave you some inspiration.
One more post and Chapter three goes up. Thanks Used.

Last edited:

Oathshadow

Thanks again for the support. Here's Chapter 3. Enjoy.

Chapter 3
Kairi pulled herself out of her little boat and onto the island dock. It was the third day since Sora had sealed off all of the worlds. Already she was beginning to miss him. Not that it meant to much to the others. They just wandered around and moped all day, if they even came to the island. Riku had given them energy, and with both Riku and Sora gone there was no reason for them to have fun.

Kairi had changed too, in a way. The first thing she did after getting back to the mayor's house was take a nice long shower. Then she had thrown away her grungy clothes and replaced them with a plain white sleeveless shirt and a plaid skirt.

“ I'm not going to just sit here and wait for Sora,” she swore to herself, and she was determined to live up to that. The entire island seemed bleak compared to what it had been before. Kairi was aware that it wasn't just life without Sora that made it this way.

Selphie waved nonchalantly and turned back to Wakka. They were talking about Paopu fruits most likely. There were only three left on the tree, and Selphie was determined to share one with somebody before she lost her chance.

Tidus was standing under the waterfall between the cabin and the secret place. His usually spiky hair was matted down to his head, his intense blue eyes watching Kairi's every move. He wore only his swimming shorts, but the pile of his clothing, now comprised mainly of a leather jacket and dark green shirt and pants, lay on the ramp leading from the beach to the first rock “step” where the pool that the waterfall dumped into resided.

He had completely changed in the past three days. Looking at him was like looking at the life of a monk. He had not slept since Destiny Islands had been restored. Kairi was reminded of the lonesome Leon. They had the same look of grim determination not to fail again. Tidus blamed himself for the disappearance of Riku and his not returning. He earnestly felt that if he could have joined Sora, he could have changed Riku's fate.

Kairi shook with the chill that ran down her spine. Her eyes went instantly to the raft. She had moved it to this side of the island with a thought to disassemble it. Tidus had actually threatened to hurt her if she tried.

Though she wasn't aware of it, Kairi's eyes had drifted back to Tidus, meeting his cold eyes. She froze when a small, self-satisfied smile curved his lips.

“ Sora,” she whispered breathlessly. “ Come back soon.”

Riku's island had become Kairi's favorite spot to sit and stare out at the open expanse of water. She would sit on the strangely bent tree and unconsciously caress one of the Paopu fruits while the waves washed in mercifully.

But now she wanted to be at complete and utter piece. The only place she could do that was to go to the heart of where her anxiety lay: the secret place. She felt if she sat against the wall with her back to the picture of the event that would shape her future, her and Sora sharing a Paopu fruit, she could concentrate on what to do with her life.

--$-- --$-- --$--

So now Kairi crawled through the hole that led to the secret place with Tidus outside putting his clothes on. He watched her like a hawk. Something was going to happen to her, to all four of them, that would change how they looked at life on Destiny Islands. It was going to happen soon.

Tidus tucked his pants into his pants and glanced around. This world was less than it had been. The man in the black robes had told him so when he gave Tidus the Anti-Kingdom Keyblade the night after the islands' restoration. The Keyblade was in the secret place in the last place anyone would look. The ceiling.

When he was satisfied that Wakka was completely distracted by Selphie's ramblings, Tidus slipped into the secret place after Kairi. He needed to protect the Keyblade, and Kairi.

The secret place was the same as it had always been, with a ceiling high enough even for Wakka, and dirt walls until the tunnel opened into the actual cave. Tidus hurried to the opening and then stopped, pondering silently the scene before him.

The door that had always been closed stood open, and near the opening was a boy around Sora's age. He would have looked like Sora if he wasn't wearing so much black. Everything the boy wore was black. In the boy's left hand was something that looked like a Keyblade, and there was an odd sword at his hip. The boy was unconscious; Kairi kneeled over him with a concerned expression on her face.

Tidus stared beyond them at the doorway. A huge keyhole was there, etched heavily into the stone. Had the boy passed through solid rock? It was evident the boy had come through the door, but how? And how had the door opened?

“ Tidus?” Kairi was standing now, watching him warily.

“ Ungh...freak-” the boy in black rose to his knees, shaking himself and rubbing at the dried blood on his forehead. His eyes met Tidus', and something clicked. “ There's an...a...Keyblade-”

“ Where'd you get the Keyblade?” Tidus interrupted, clenching his fists. The Keyblade the boy had was so much different from how Kairi had described Sora's, or his Keyblade. There was no point.

“ It's yours,” the boy was looking at the ceiling. At Tidus' Keyblade.

“ What is it?” Tidus demanded, stepping forward.

Surprisingly, the boy in black leapt up and seized the Anti-Kingdom Key, pulling it out of the dirt ceiling and then dropping it as if scalded.

“ It is a Key,” the boy looked at Kairi and jumped. “ Kairi! Sora's Kairi?”

Sora's Kairi?” Tidus snatched his Keyblade and frowned.

“ How do you know me?” Kairi took a step away from the boy. “ What's going on?” She dropped to her knees and her hand flew backwards to touch the cheek of Sora's picture on the wall.

“ Who are you?” Tidus flexed his hand against his Keyblade. Which was stronger? He wondered. Which Key was better?

“ My name is Jac,” the boy began, “ but I don't think that's what you meant.”

Tidus shook his head.

“ Jac?” Kairi blurted, standing up again. “ You're the boy that Sora talked to-”

“ You talked with Sora?” Tidus stepped closer to Jac. “ What d-”

He was cut off my Selphie's bloodcurdling scream. He whirled about.

“ Monster!”

--$-- --$-- --$--

Jac tumbled out of the cave with the Ghost-Key in hand, flailing his head wildly to get his bearings. The blonde boy with the black Keyblade was running towards the beach where a girl and a tall man with a ball were being confronted by a giant Heartless.

It was indeed a Heartless, but it was only the top half of an aquatic creature. The bulk of it rested in the sea. In one of its massive finned claws was a short splintered mast. It had one great yellow eye; the pupil grew and shrank in size as it breathed.

“ Sora,” Kairi's heart-filled whisper let Jac know she was out of the cave as well. Something had to be done about the Heartless. It was going to cause damage. And Jac was through waiting for a fight. Ramming the Ghost-Key back into its scabbard, he freed the Dream Sword and leapt towards the Heartless.

The boy with the Keyblade was moving like lighting, flipping and twirling as he hacked away at the Heartless's torso, which was definitely not being affected. Every time the boy struck, the Heartless would swipe at him with the splintered mast.

Jac waited with the girl until the Heartless caught the fighting boy by the shoulder and sent him flying. After that, he sprinted straight into the water, beyond the sweeping claws of the Heartless. He swam madly, reaching the tail of the Heartless. As he climbed up, the Dream Sword began to glow once more. The Heartguard was cold on his neck. He charged up the slimy back of the thing, stabbing the thing to balance himself. Someone shouted from the beach.

Stumble on the black slimy divot, scramble over a frantic finned hand, onto the great triangular head. Jac dashed the Dream Sword into the Heartless's neck, deep into its brain, if it had one. The thing reared back, scratching in an attempt to reach the object of its demise. It grasped Jac and tossed him onto the beach.

You have to-...where is-...the Heartless are not helping us!...three weapons will come before what already exists...the Ghost-Key is not a weapon...one created to destroy that which does not-...

“ He's gotta be one tough guy, ya?” Wakka smiled at Selphie and Kairi, then looked back at Jac, lying on his back in the sand. Tidus watched the unconscious boy like an eagle its prey. That was a Keyblade he had, or something like it.

The question was, what was it for?

“ He killed the Heartless I could not,” Tidus murmured. “ Using a weapon other than the Keyblade.” It took a great amount of power to do what Jac had done. “ And it happened so fast...

--$-- --$-- --$--

Kairi felt a drawing at her heart. She had seen Sora kill some large Heartless in Traverse Town. Jac's feat reminded her of that. Of Sora. She did not exactly need him, but she had to know if he was all right.

When Jac woke, she would have a long talk with him.

Oathshadow

Here's Chapter 4. I might double post eventually to get the rest up here. This is the near halfway point, but the remaining chapters are longer. Enjoy!

Chapter 4
Hollow Bastion was the most important world that Sora had ever seen. Riku felt the same way, as did Kairi. Everyone who had been there felt an air of utmost importance in the place. Nobody had felt the same great amount of importance that Ansem had.

Ansem. The man no longer truly existed. He was split.

“ The Heartless...” the man wrapped in red cloth, known by his minions as the Red Enigma, for he denied them the right to know him. He was a Heartless himself. He was Ansem's heart.

“ They are not what they seem,” the man in front of him was Ansem as well. He was very dark, in the black robes of the Red Enigma's followers and his hood so far forward that nothing could be seen but pitch black. He...was a shell, a non-existent one, white to the black of Ansem's heart. Body and soul. But who was black and who was pure...that was the thing that remained to be seen.

“ What do you mean?” the Red Enigma forced himself not wave his hands, a thing he had done often before Sora had defeated him. He did not want to think too much about his life before.

Fool! Why have you been so foolish? Only a fool can do what you have done! The heart is the part of us that runs us. It is our core. Without it...you are nothing.
Author's Note

“ I am researching something,” Ansem's shell turned his hands palms upwards. If the N.E.O. could smile, the Red Enigma was sure it would be. “ It could change the way we look at everything.”

“ How?”

The N.E.O. folded his arms. “ I can't tell you—yet. I've yet to access the actual information.”

“ What information?” the Red Enigma slapped his hand onto his desk. He wanted to express himself so much!

“ Patience, Ansem,” a light flared behind the N.E.O. as he spoke. “ What you need is patience. Give yourself some time to think. You're slipping.”

“ You've done something crazy, haven't you?”

“ My heart, everything is coming into place, whether you like it or not.”

Then Ansem's body and soul was gone, leaving his heart alone in the room. He scrubbed at his head, ignoring the intense pain in the gap where his chest was.

He wondered...how had he changed in the last several days? Had he really been just like that not so long ago? What was that low down shell doing?

Jac's eyes snapped open and he beheld darkness. He didn't move yet. He was too tired. Something was broken. It was...it was his left shoulder. For some reason it didn't hurt like he thought it should. But he knew it was broken. It wouldn't move. It was not complete darkness he was in. And there was something soft beneath him...he was in a bed; blankets covered him. He was in a room in the middle of the night.

“ Are you awake?” it was a girl's voice. Her speech was slightly slurred the way it is when you're crying or have been recently. Jac turned his head towards the voice. In the gloom he could see the shape of Kairi's face and her hair. “ Good.” Jac only noticed that her hand had been on his cheek when she took it off. He couldn't help but follow it as it came back to rest at her side.

“ The Heartless is-”

“ Gone; dead,” Kairi smiled. Jac barely saw it, but it was there. “ Your sword was still in its head when it went under-”

“ What happened to my sword?” Jac sat up bolt upright. That was when he realized he was shirtless. “ Where are my clothes?”

“ Getting washed,” Kairi gestured towards the door. “ Your sword was in the Heartless, like I said, and the heart floated up out of the water...”

“ Where is it?” Jac noticed Kairi's embroidered night gown and her red-rimmed eyes. She had been crying, and trying to sleep too. Blast, why did he keep noticing the insignificant details? Were they insignificant?

“ Wakka and Tidus-” Kairi paused when Jac gave her a look of blankness. She scratched her ear, smiling shyly. “ Tidus is the one with the dark Keyblade, and Wakka is the tall one with the ball. Anyway, they went under and looked for it. Neither of them found it. Tidus nearly drowned himself looking for it. He's constantly overexerting himself. He thinks...like Leon.”

Jac looked away from Kairi for a moment to gather his thoughts. He gave names to faces, and formed a question in his mind. He had to go at her pace. “ Has Tidus said anything about his Keyblade?” he asked, meeting her eyes again. He watched her move, Kairi—Sora's Kairi. He forced the thought into his mind. She was too beautiful for him to start thinking of her as someone other than who she was. Something told him he wasn't meant for anyone he had ever met.

“ No,” she shook her head. “ He's been keeping even more to himself since you showed up this morning.”

“ Really?”

“ You're changing a lot of things, Jac,” Kairi smiled again; Jac hoped it was to take away any sting that might come with that remark. As if anything that came out of her mouth could sting.

“ Look, do you-”

“ Oh, gosh!” Kairi leapt halfway onto the bed to get an up-close look at his arm. “ It's so lifeless!” Jac looked at it with her. His arm was pale and bruised, having taken the entire impact of his fall. The instant he looked at it, he felt a strong tingling sensation along with the intense painful tightness of a major cramp.

“ Ow,” he mumbled, clapping his hand to it and shrugging at Kairi with his good shoulder. The other would have moved as well, if it could.

“ That's all you can say?” she started to massage the arm, biting her lip with focus. Jac reddened and looked past her at the door.

“ My Key—is that okay?”

“ Yes, Jac,” Kairi grinned. “ You're as worried about yours as Sora is about his.” She glanced at him, and her pleasant kneading fingers froze. “ Are you okay?”

She's better than he thinks!”the woman said, cradling him in her arms.

He doesn't know what to think,” the other girl giggled. “ She's always flirting without meaning to; just trying to be helpful, you know? He gets hurt so often in the war.”
Oh, yes. Poor man...”

“ Jac?” Kairi's hands were on the sides of his face, their foreheads were touching. “ Jac, I need you. You can...you-”

“ Kairi?” Jac pushed away her hands and motioned for her to find a more comfortable position on the side of the bed. “ What are you talking about?”

She wiped at her eyes wearily as she sat back against the headboard. It wasn't exactly how Jac had meant it; her being right next to him was awkward. “ You came from Traverse Town,” she stated.

“ Yeah,” Jac shifted himself to see her better. Was he still red in the face?

“ Well, that shouldn't be possible,” Kairi folded her hands. “ The worlds are all separate again. Sora did that when he locked that door. Now everyone is back to where they should be, right?”

“ Is that what that reverse meteor shower was?”

“ Yep,” she brushed at her hair suddenly, then, sniffing, she placed her hand back at her side. “ If everyone is where they should be, then no problem, right?”

“ No one is where they should be,” Jac mumbled.

“ I think so too,”

“ Huh?” Jac realized that the cramp was gone and his arm wasn't tingling as much anymore. It still felt odd, but he could move it. He propped himself up by the elbows. “ I was just-”

“ You traveled to another world when it wasn't supposed to be possible.”

“ I guess I did, didn't I?” Jac almost smiled. Almost. “ It was my Key.”

“ Why don't you call it a Keyblade?”

“ It's not a Keyblade,” he replied quickly. He hadn't really ever thought about it, but he knew it was true. 'The Ghost-Key is not a weapon.' It must be right.

“ Do you...” Kairi swallowed. It seemed so unlike her. “ Do you think you can do it again?”

“ If I don't knock myself out this time, yes,”

“ You mean you'll do it?”

Jac grabbed his leg to force himself not to try and touch her. The impulse was so strong in him...it almost seemed like she was expecting him to. Blast! Why? “ It depends,” he uttered to her, “ on the reason I do it.”

“ Do you have any reason to stay here?”

“ I suppose.”

Kairi shook her head. “ I want to ask you to go and travel the worlds. To look for Sora and see if he's all right. I'll feel so much better knowing there's someone looking for him. He must be so alone. If you find him, and he's in trouble, can you watch out for him? I mean, he's very good, but there could be some-”

“ I'm going as soon as I'm completely well,” Jac told her firmly.

“ Thank you,” Kairi gave him a quick peck on the cheek and hurried out of the room. He stared after her for a few minutes before smiling to himself and rubbing the spot she had kissed appreciatively.

“ It starts.”

Note-Fool! Why have you been so foolish? Only a fool can do what you have done! (My friends and I find this line hilarous. I didn't intend for it to turn out the way it did at first, but I haven't the heart to remove it.)

Oathshadow

Gotcha. I wasn't able to get on for a time, because of the server being down. Here's chapter 5.

Chapter 5
Kairi's lips quirked into a smile as she climbed out of her boat once more. It was still night, but she didn't care. She had something to give to Jac. Something he would be surprised about.

Kairi had been there when Sora walked up to Jac and flashed Oathkeeper proudly in his face, the Paopu fruit symbol dangling from the chain. It had almost brought a tear to her eye, she had laughed so hard for joy. But then Sora had taken something out of his pocket and handed it to Jac, and left Traverse Town for the last time.

She had forgotten about that gift. What had it been? Why give it to Jac? It was something important to Sora; she remembered the sadness on his face.

“ Kairi?” Tidus grabbed her arm and pulled her onto the dock. She hadn't realized she had frozen until then. The boy was haggard, his blonde hair disheveled and his eyes rimmed with sacs. He held that Keyblade—the one that Riku had used in Hollow Bastion. The one Sora said unlocked. The one he had used to save her. “ You okay?”

“ Yeah,” she looked down and shrugged. “ I guess I'm just a little absent minded right now.”

“ That doesn't make sense,” Tidus murmured to himself. “ How are you absent minded when all you are doing is thinking?”

Kairi hurried past Tidus and up to Riku's island. There were two Paopu fruits left; Selphie must have gotten Wakka to share one with her. Or Tidus. Or somebody else. It didn't matter.

“ I'll always love him,” Kairi whispered to the fruit she picked; and took a bite of one of the five ends. “ I will. I'll wait. He'll come back to me. He promised.”

--$-- --$-- --$--

Jac leaned against the mirror of the little washroom, the Titan Chain and Three Stars in his right hand, the Heartguard dangling from his neck, and his final accessory wound around the palm of his other hand. He stared at it, the black crown of Sora's Oblivion keychain. It was clipped to a silver chain. Sora, why?

Kairi...I care for her more than I ever should have,” Sora whispered to him, his hand enclosing Jac's with the Oblivion keychain in between. “ I think...think I love her. But I—I can't, Jac. I can't love her. We're connected. But she's Riku's. He deserves her so much more than me. I mean...Jac, he sacrificed himself for us. I've just gotta find him. So I'll take my oath with me. I'll come back to her. With Riku right beside me.

This is so you can remember: I will open the door. With this, you can...can...”

Sora...He was so wrong. Kairi was desperate for Sora. She only thought of Riku as a friend. What was the idiot thinking?

“ I can do what with this? You went to talk with Merlin, and when you came back you looked so blank. What is this thing for?” Jac banged his head on the mirror. It cracked slightly, and he shrugged. Too many of those potions.

The Ghost-Key was at his waste, but his shirt and cape were still neatly folded where the maid had put them. Jac was in the mayor's house, where Kairi lived. Wasn't that odd? He shook his head.

“ What do I do when I find you?” he demanded. His arm was fine. All of that metal was cold on his skin, but he could care less. His mind was numb. Kairi's lips were still on his cheek in his mind, his wild adolescent emotions whirling back and forth beneath the pier he kept above his heart. The heart and soul were separate entities. He could not allow his feelings to trip up his stream of thoughts. But despite all of efforts, the tide rose beyond the pier at points. Kairi. She was beautiful. No! She was Sora's. “ He thinks she's Riku's.”

When you say I'm Hemmel's, I always know you mean it the other way around,” the woman smirked at the insane old lass with the child. Marry? Why? And that poor child, putting up with such strict parents. It was all on her face. So high-chinned.
Of course,” the mother whispered angrily. “ All Primos knows that though the men run our governments, it is the women who truly own it all.”
And best of all, they don't require us to go off and fight Neos...”
Turmoil. Absolute turmoil. So long. How long ago was it? Did that place matter any more? Was it even...real?
“ Father said it was real,” Jac whispered. “ But he was already losing it, rest his soul.” He spat into the sink. “ Soul? What about his heart?”
What was Riku like? Jac had never seen the boy before, but from Sora's description he was not a good friend. He was the kind of kid who used you for what you were worth and then dropped you. Or got too attached to the wrong girl and got himself into a whole lot of trouble. Like what had apparently happened to him.

Oblivion. Sora had showed Jac that version of the Keyblade once. It had been incredible to him. So dark...As Jac recalled, it was even darker feeling than the Keyblade that Tidus had. And Oathkeeper by comparison had been so light. They were complete opposites. But, somehow, they fit together in Jac's mind.

“ Um, mister?” the young maid blushed when Jac glanced at her indifferently. She must have been eleven. “ it's almost dawn. Mistress Kairi told me to tell you when it was dawn.”

“ Thank you,” Jac muttered.

“ What, sir?”

“ I said thank you!” Jac snapped. Frowning, the girl slid out of the washroom. Jac shook his head. “ Girls.” He straightened and stuffed the Oblivion keychain into his pocket. He put his shirt and cape on at a languid pace. He didn't like the idea of waking up in a weird world again. And next time, the odds of him knowing someone there were sparse to say the least.

“ Be careful, Jac,” the voice forced Jac to spin, throwing up an arm to strike with the only weapon he had, his fists. The Ghost-Key was not a weapon. It was the man in the black robes again.

“ What're you doing here?” Jac demanded. “ How did you-”

“ That's a secret that I cannot tell you.”

“ Then why are you here?”

“ I came here to check on someone else who is here,” he gestured to the window.

Jac took a guess, “ Tidus?”

“ Perhaps,”

“ Did you give him that...thing?” Jac lowered his fists, but kept them clenched.

“ I may have given the boy the Anti-Kingdom Key, but what does it matter?”

Jac stalked past the man out of the washroom. “ It all matters.”

--$-- --$-- --$--

The N.E.O. watched the Shifter boy walk away with an eerie grin on his lipless mouth. He had learned much in the past few days, and a great deal of it had to do indirectly with this boy and his origins. When he had been whole, Ansem had stumbled upon the simple truth of multiple dimensions. But that had been after the fact. The ancient technological device that the N.E.O. had just retrieved would completely confirm his theories. Everything was coming into place. Soon, he would be-

Wait a moment. What about the young fool behind the door?

--$-- --$-- --$--

Kairi was in her white shirt and checkered skirt, standing at the dock at the mayor's house waiting for Jac. He hurried to her, shaking his head slowly at the man in black and his mysterious actions. What did he care?

“ I have something for you when we get to the island,” Kairi told him, climbing into the boat. The words sent a shiver down Jac's spine despite his determination.

“ Let's just go,” he whispered, sliding in behind her. It was tight and he had to put his legs past her to fit in. He ignored everything he felt. It was easy now. He felt distant from this world. Heartguard was cold on his neck.
You cannot guard your heart from yourself.

Jac shook his head at the image he saw. It was so dark he couldn't really tell what it had been.

The trip took a little time, with Kairi paddling because of her more serviceable position. Jac simply sat there with her nearly in his lap and made himself completely aloof.
When they reached the island, Kairi hopped out and held out her hand to help him up. He couldn't help it. He took her hand and pulled himself onto the dock.

“ Thank you,”

“ No problem,” she smiled, and then she looked away, the way girls did, when they wanted to be dramatic because some essence of their being told them to.
“ You wanted to give me something?”

“ Yes,” she whispered. He strained to hear her. So beautiful. “ A few things.” She opened her hand and Jac realized she had grabbed something before getting out of the boat. He stared at it. It looked almost like the Oathkeeper keychain, but it was real. It was a fruit, shaped like a star, and it had a bite taken out of it.

“ A Paopu fruit,” he muttered, touching it and recoiling. Instinct told him to eat. Sora had told him about it. He had been so adamant that the magic of the fruit was real.

“ Yes,” she whispered back to him, and put it in his hands.

“ You can't want me to-”

“ No,” Kairi shook her head and chuckled once, softly. There were tears in her eyes. “ I'm not sharing this with you. I want you to take this with you when you go. Give it to Sora; tell him I took my part of it. Tell him to do what he promised. Will you swear to me? Please?”

“ I promise,” Jac pushed her hand away and put the fruit in his pocket next to Oblivion. “ I promise I'll make Sora take his portion.” He started to walk towards the cave and the heart of these islands.

“ Wait, Jac,” the sound of his name on her lips made Jac wonder if that was how an angel would say it. “ That's not all I want to give you.”

“ What else?” he put his arms out before him palms up, gesturing to the island in a broad sweep. She rushed in between his open arms and squeezed him close.

“ A good-bye wish,” she answered loudly. Jac became aware of Tidus standing not so far off, looking like the dead walking, and watching like a hawk. Jac's arms were stiff, hanging in the air away from her. “ I love him, you see,” Kairi went on. “ I can never deny that nor can I forget. But he might forget. People forget. So I want you to remember for him. Remember. Protect him. Bring him home to me. You are my lifeline.

“ So now,” she looked up at him with streaks where the tears had fallen, “my last hope goes on. I see them in you. Both of them a-”

Jac wrapped his arms around her and lifted her off the ground, pressing her as close to him as he could. Remember. Everyone wanted him to remember. Remember what? He didn't speak for a long time, but he knew that Kairi was letting him hold her without regard for what it may look like to anyone else. He wasn't really sure what was going on. He knew she was beautiful, she was there, she was Kairi, he was leaving, and that she needed. It was primal. Primal...Primos... “ I promise to remember for him Kairi, when he can't. I'll bring him back to you. Bring them all back. I'll keep all of the promises I can. And...”

I promise I won't let anything happen to daddy,” he whispered in her ear. She smiled at him. Her hand covered her side, and her other held a weapon with no visible blood on it. But she had used it. It killed the damned shell that was leaving her husband a widower.

That's good, Jac,” she whispered back, her voice raspy. Her sight was already failing her. “ You remember what's important now. Daddy, and...what did—I—tell...you?”
The shells are coming and they want the things that are what they haven't got, right mommy?” Jac grinned, but his mother said nothing. Her face didn't move. Something was wrong. He shook her. “ Mommy? Mommy!”

Jac pushed Kairi away and stumbled away, slipping off the edge of the deck and dropping onto the sandy beach in a heap. He shook with the tears that didn't come but forced himself up, taking a step at a time for the cave.

His feelings were only a part of his black heart.

M—mom...mommy!”

It flooded back to him. Primos. His home. The shells were coming. They wanted what were what they did not have. Heartless. Those white things. The hologram...

“ Jac,” Tidus grabbed him, to hold him up. “ We'll go together.”

“ What?” the turmoil in Jac's mind fled. It just stopped, like a guillotine suddenly ending its victim's life.

“ We'll go together,” Tidus said again. “ I can do something if I get off this island. I—I'm sorry I couldn't find your sword.”

“ My sword!” Jac turned to the sea. His hands went into his pocket to touch Oblivion and the Paopu fruit. He wanted to look at Kairi. But he had to forget for now. If he didn't move on, he could not come back. Kairi... “ It's right where it needs to be.”

“ Okay...” Tidus quirked an eyebrow. Jac nearly gaped at it. It seemed so odd, for someone so serious to suddenly made an odd expression like that...

“ Come on!” Jac slugged Tidus' arm lightly and rushed up the beach. The pain washed under the pier; the tide was receding. It really was starting.

Oathshadow

Don't be too harsh on those muses. And remember, they like Apollo best.

Here's chapter 6.

Chapter 6
Riku stood staring at the door that was no longer there. He was sure it had disappeared; Mickey had said it had. It had only been a few days. Mickey said so many freaking things that he couldn't doubt! It seemed like forever. He missed Kairi and Sora and his bickering parents and even the kids who would play on the island. He most definitely missed the secret place. It had been his favorite place before he had become claustrophobic. His uncle...

Riku kept what had happened then to himself. But he would never forget what it was like to be locked in a box for two days, with hunger gnawing at him and his mind playing tricks on him. The darkness, he was fine with. But the restraint...having hard wood pressing on his every limb until he could no longer move his arms or legs or even feel them, gave him a sense of utter terror and revulsion that he could not explain or combat. When his uncle had finally let him out, he had fallen over simply because he couldn't feel anything.

Riku hadn't gone back into the secret place very much after that.

The storm night had been one of utter confusion for him. He remembered vividly seeing the keyhole on the door in the secret place. But he had not dared go in that closed space in a storm.

So he had stood on his island, watching the storm above him, wondering at the lack of wind, and pondering what the storm meant. It hadn't taken long before he determine that something had happened to the door and he might be able to leave this prison that constricted him so.

And so his foolish journey into the heart of darkness began.

“ The Heartless aren't from here,” Mickey said, pointing at a bubbling pool of black goo with yellow eye-like projections sticking out of it. Riku scratched his head at the comment the mouse King had made.

“ What?”

“ If you look close, these pools are shallow,” Mickey chuckled that now familiar laugh: his high-pitched voice sounding out clear and comfortable.

“ And?” Riku joined Mickey next to one of the pools.

“ They're shallow,” Mickey repeated. “ That means the source of the pools isn't here.” He pointed again, swirling his finger for emphasis.

“ What are you talking about?”

“ This isn't the origin of the Heartless.”

“ You said that, Mickey! What does it mean.”

“ It means sealing that door didn't stop the Heartless!”

--$-- --$-- --$--

The Red Enigma watched the fool with the chakrams stumble to his knees.

“ I said not to do anything without my consent!” he growled. The blood dripping from the cut on Axel's torso was satisfying. Let him try to figure out how he had been injured without being touched.

“ But it was-”

“ Where is your respect?”

Axel covered his face once more. “ I have sworn an oath and I will follow it,” he whispered, almost reluctantly.

“ Do not blame anything on the shell,” the Red Enigma flicked his wrist. Axel nodded beneath his hood and left without complaint. Whatever it was the red-headed idiot had to say was not worth listening to.

“ I call you by who you once were, Ansem,” the N.E.O. was there without any flashy entrance this time. Something must have been bothering him. “ Why do you not pay tribute to our former self?”

“ Because you are not Ansem any longer, shell.”

“ You call a me shell with so much resentment. What is so loathsome about those of us who do not have hearts?”

“ You aren't real,” the Red Enigma snapped.

“ In a bad mood today, are we?” the N.E.O. shrugged. “ Well, I have gotten what I wanted. It is called a hologram, and you shall be very interested in what is contained inside. Or rather, where it came from.”

“ Where?”

“ Do not let your impatience ruin you. Heartless only have so much energy before they simply disappear.”

Ansem's heart rose into the air. Energy static crackled around him. “ I AM NOT A HEARTLESS!”

“ Don't lie to yourself, Ansem. I am a shell, a non-existent one, and you, being a heart without body or soul, are a heartless.”

“ Heartless are evil,” the Red Enigma settled back to the ground.

“ Evil? Since when did you begin to draw the line between good and evil? You are wrong, Ansem. The Heartless are not evil. They weren't created for this purpose we have used them for.”

“ We never meant for them to do this!” Ansem's heart pointed vehemently at a column that lacked a chunk of stone, revealing sparking electrical circuits.

“ Watch this hologram, and you will understand.”

A small device landed on the floor between the N.E.O. and the Red Enigma, not thrown or even visible a moment before. The shell was getting reckless. For an instant the device sat there, a round ring and inch thick with a multi-faceted lens in its center. Then the lens began to glow, and hazy grey light shot up, quickly forming an image that moved in real time, accompanied by sounds and words. The live animation of the hologram lasted for several minutes, and when it was over, it brought the Red Enigma to his knees with shock. He raised his head after a few minutes, unable to comprehend the images swimming in his head.

“ Play it again,”

--$-- --$-- --$--

A man stood as if looking at whoever viewed the hologram, his short hair a mat of curly locks. Any color other than white, black, and shades of grey was indeterminable, but one could tell that the man's eyes were a sort of intense blue that made you flinch if you looked at them too hard. In the background was brown earth, littered with unreadable mounds. The man held a rudimentary sword, with no stains on it; but it was apparent he had been using it recently.

“ The war is not doing any better with these things,” he said, turning. The hologram seemed to pan to follow his line of vision. Only a few yards from him was a heartless, identifiable as an Invisible. It had its sword, but held it without any look of intending to use it. It's semi-large wings were not in use, the creature simply stood on its crooked feet. The whole where the heart was on normal bodies was especially dormant. The eyes that were supposed to be yellow were even eerier as light grey as they were. “ I know that the Heartless were made to combat these damned shells, but it's as if they don't have life. They just sit here on the battlefield where we plant them, not moving anything but their blasted eyes. And those...those m—argh!” the man was cut off when a white thing hobbled up and stuck its spear-like arm through his gut. He tumbled to the ground and lay still. The white thing scrambled away, but the spear broke off in the man's body.

After several seconds, the man fumbled to his knees and gazed straight out of the hologram. “ Damn non-existent fodder!” Then he fell again. It seemed he would not get back up, but he did, and his intense eyes fixed on the Heartless. He extends a hand desperately. “ You are made of what you do not have! Why do you not fight them also?”

He crumpled back, leaning on his elbow, staring at the Heartless. He had not taken another breath before the white thing stumbled back into view. It jumped onto the Heartless and disappeared. The man stared in shock. It was apparent that the Heartless had been ignored thus far.

There was a flash of what must have been green light, though it was hard to tell. When the light died, a horrendous creature came into view. It looked like the Invisible, but it was all white except where the white looked ripped, and then there was deep black. There was a wicked grin plastered on a lipless mouth, staring straight at the man with the spear through his gut. The man was most assuredly valiant: despite the look of utter terror on his face, he raised his sword to strike it away.

The creature moved like lightning and everything disappeared. The field was empty but for those unmoving grey mounds in the distance. There was a gut-wrenching rustling after a series of grunts. Then...silence. For almost a minute there was nothing.

The creature in white skin rose into view, a streak of dark liquid falling from its lipless mouth, forever twisted into a sinister smile. Darkly stained white hands came up and the light of the hologram ceased.

--$-- --$-- --$--

“ Do you see now, Ansem?” the N.E.O. asked quietly. The Red Enigma stared at the shell with a new feeling flooding over him. The soul had no feelings. The body was worthless without at least the soul. Hatred and disgust ran through him. “ Do you see what the Heartless are now?”

If Ansem had been whole, if his heart had been the total him, and he could return to the time when he was blindly innocent, he would have emptied his stomach then and there. But there had to be a stomach to empty. “ Where was this?”

“ The best I can give you is that it once resided in the world in between and that it was called Primos.”

“ That's all?” Ansem...he was Ansem. The Ansem. Even if he was only the man's heart, he was the only part that was even remotely human. Ansem stood up finally, steadying himself on a column.

“ There is more, but it is not confirmed. Notes belonging to residents th-”

“ Residents?” Ansem demanded. “ You've been to the world in between?”

“ Well, no, but I did find the secret files of those who survived the war and came to this place. It was in that strange world: Traverse Town.”

“ What about the files?”

The N.E.O. held out his hands and shrugged, “ The first thing declared was that their world, Primos, was taken over and most likely destroyed by the menace of creatures called non-existent ones, or shells. They also called them N.E.O.'s, but they either listed it with or without its use as an acronym. The shells were relentless and completely deadly. But the people of Primos were excellent fighters when it came down to life or death, and their blood was not entirely like ours. They did not go over genetic traits. They were also highly advanced. They devised a plan to stop the shells, whom they knew had no hearts because of the way they acted. They created creatures out of the hearts of people and the beasts. The beasts were complete failures, but people's hearts successfully metamorphosed into creatures. By tampering, the people of Primos created several different kinds of Heartless. But when they took the inactive Heartless into battle, there was no reaction whatsoever. After battles lost by Primos armies, the shells and the Heartless would fuse. It wasn't known whether this was through the Heartless' or the shells' will. Either way, the effect was a creature that had basic emotions like joy and anger, and incredible power.

“ The survivors went on to say that they had managed to create a window between their world and 'the world without.' The world without must be this one. They let the window close behind them, but feared that by opening such a doorway they had made a place for shells and heartless to break through.”

“ Was that the End of the World?” Ansem leaned wearily against the table, listening intently to the information being thrown at him.

“ I suppose so. That would mean Kingdom Hearts was the result of that window. But that no longer matters, seeing as how sealing Kingdom Hearts has not made any difference except to create a very ineffective block between the worlds.”

Ansem stood up straight. “ How did you travel between the worlds?”

“ The three Keys were made for a purpose. I found duplicating them simple. The one with the property of sliding past barriers is most useful.”

“ Wait,” Ansem tapped his chin. “ The Keys-”

“ Were made by someone who knew about Kingdom Hearts and wanted to seal it off, right? Perhaps, or maybe their creator wanted to give the wielders their own choices. The Kingdom Keyblade has the power to unlock virtually any normal lock and to lock anything, especially hearts. The Anti-Kingdom Key was created for the sole purpose of unlocking hearts. And the Ghost-Key was made for travel despite whatever the other Keys were being used for. It makes for an interesting dance. And we have two Keys in one place. Now is the time.”

“ The time for what?” Ansem took a step back. The shell's hood fell away, with all of its robes, revealing the pure white body, its lipless grin, and its underdeveloped wings. The N.E.O. stepped forward in a huge stride.

“ This is the perfect opportunity to become whole again. To be a better Ansem than before.”

“ No!” Ansem shook his head. “ Did you not see that thing? We would not be Ansem again! I am Ansem. You are no longer that man. Look what you've done to his body. I am all that is left!”

“ Come, come, Ansem, show some respect for yourself,” the shell launched himself over the table with his mouth opening wide. There was nothing inside.

Oathshadow

Yeh, I thought that part was a little creepy.

Chapter 7

Chapter 7
Jac hefted the Ghost-Key in his hand, examining the door. Tidus had just told him that there had once been another keyhole, on the door. He had seen it a few days before the storm when Destiny Islands was destroyed.

The door had closed again. Jac had no intention of opening it. Tidus stood by, waiting with that dark Keyblade strapped to his back. Apparently Sora was the only one who didn't need a case for his Key.

“ What are you waiting for?” Tidus demanded impatiently. His eyes glittered with eagerness.

“ Something...never mind,” Jac shook his head. Kairi...No! He had to concentrate. Primos...Primos...

“ Well, hurry up!”

“ It's not like we don't have time,” Jac spat. His mind was still half-reeling from the sudden rush of his memory returning to him. He had been so young that he still didn't remember much, but he knew that his mother was dead, and he wasn't from anywhere in this series of worlds. He had heard Sora talk about other dimensions with a look of confusion on his face. He might be from one of those dimensions.

Still, Jac thrust the Ghost-Key into the door, no half-heartedness about it, and was rewarded with his hand stuck halfway through splintered wood. Blood trickled from splinters stuck in his hands.

“ Woah!” Tidus muttered, a little late.

“ Come grab my arm,” Jac said through clenched teeth. He pointed at the Ghost-Key, sticking deep into the wall behind the door. Tidus obeyed, gripping his shoulder hard enough to crush nuts. Jac clenched his jaws even tighter and stepped forward. The wood he touched phased through the wall as he did, unless he stopped touching it.

“ Maybe we should have opened the door,” Tidus suggested.

“ Shut up!” Jac snapped, and pushed himself hard into the wall.

Tidus rolled with Jac into the emptiness that was filled with bright lights in colors of red and pink. A giant sparkle fell on his shoulder and flared before he brushed it off. He was standing on nothing, but he ignored it. If this was the heart of Destiny Islands, he wouldn't doubt anything.

His Keyblade was strangely warm, and pulsing softly against him, as if it were telling him, “ Unlock the heart, unlock the heart,” and eager for him to do so. He tried to ignore that, too.

“ Follow me,” Jac was plucking splinters out of his hand and walking on, seeming to look past the light. The Ghost-Key seemed to fit his drab intensity. Even though he wasn't really carrying any weapons, he seemed to be made of thousands. He was a mystery, and his attitude since saying farewell to Kairi had given him an even harder edge.

“ Coming,” Tidus muttered, trotting up next to the other and trying to look at what he was. After a moment he could see doors past the light. Each door was different. One had a drop of water in its center and was adorned with tridents. Another had a clock face on it. Tidus couldn't make heads or tales of it, but Jac seemed to be taking notes.

“ It's, right there!” Jac pointed to one far ahead. At first Tidus saw only the pinkish lights, swirling with more of those sparkles. As they drew closer, he saw it. The door here was a little larger than the others. It had a symbol on it that Tidus had never seen before. It was shaped like a heart, with something on the bottom, and lines in the middle of it. Surrounding that was a murky mixing of greens, reds, blacks, and browns, all swirling like a smattering of oils and water, none mixing.

“ Sora must be there!”

“ Why?” Tidus asked, pulling out his Keyblade.

“ He mentioned things like that before, and it seems so dark. If Sora is anywhere, he should be here. Besides, this place could provide many answers.”

“ I don't wanna sound like a coward,” Tidus stalked past Jac towards the door, “ But this place seems like it could be a little too dangerous.”

Jac smiled, “ You have a Keyblade. Don't worry.” He charged into the murky light towards the strange door. Tidus shook his head and followed.

“ And I am here, Ansem,” the N.E.O. whispered, his overgrown white head flowing from side to side, his pincer hands clacking together to echo throughout the waterway halls. Its lipless grin had not faded so far. In fact, it had only grown larger.

Ansem's heart...he was Ansem...clung to the ceiling beyond the gated wall from the shell of Ansem. He had shed the outstanding red cloth for his Heartless self. He was deep black, his eyes intense yellow, and his body was covered in red and blue stripes. The symbol he had created to identify the Heartless he had created was like a tattoo on his chest. His hands and feet were massive claws, so sharp on end that they pierced stone.

“ Ansem,” the shell raised its pincers, its mouth opening into nothingness, “ I am waiting. You cannot hide for long. We will be one. And I am here, Ansem.”

The N.E.O. had been repeating this for hours, ever since Ansem had run and come here. He worried about his followers. They would not understand. And Axel...Axel would understand nothing.

Enough was-

“ They're here, Ansem,” the shell grinned again. “ The Keys.”

Ansem's eyes flicked to the shell, and he turned to lock eyes with him.

Before the N.E.O. could react further, all that could be seen was a vague black blur flying through the gate and past towards the exit. Ansem's shell raced after him, a white blur to contrast with the black of the Heartless.

Jac knelt on the swirling colored floor in the giant chamber that was exactly the same. It was like the door he had gone through five minutes before. The door...it had not led him straight here. Before he had come here, he had seen what seemed first hand the death of the man he thought was his uncle. It had been a flashback. But it had seemed so real. The dying man's words had made the urgency in Jac's mind more powerful. He felt so strongly that he had to warn anyone he could about these...shells, that he was nearly bursting with it. But now something else was shaking his foundation.

Tidus lay a foot in front of him, unconscious and incredibly pale. That Keyblade was in his hands, but barely.

“ Hang in there,” Jac muttered, and stood, gripping the Ghost-Key tight. Something felt wrong in this place. Everything was...dark. Pale, dark, they were opposites, but both were true.

“ Keyblade wielders!” a voice shouted, and then a giant Heartless appeared through a murky patch of differently colored...whatever it was. The Heartless was roughly the size of a tall human, with stripes of red and blue crisscrossing its body and claws making up its arms and legs. But those yellow eyes had pupils. That was strange. It should be impossible. The monster did not have a mouth, but it spoke. “ You mustn't be here! There is-”

A white creature—Jac knew it was a shell—leapt out of the patch and seized the Heartless, its mouth opening wide to reveal nothingness within. Jac knew what was happening in an instant, and he reacted even faster. He seized Tidus' Keyblade with his right hand and charged at the shell and the Heartless.

The Heartless slashed at the shell's face frantically. The shell didn't react, but held on to the other's torso as it tried to get its mouth around the bottom claws. Jac spun into his first slice, planning to cut into the shell's body. But when the blade of the weapon struck, it glanced off.

“ What the fre-” The shell caught Jac in the chest with a pincer it had freed moments before, knocking him six feet to hit the floor.

“ Do not interfere, bearer!” there was a monotonous sound to the shell's voice that made it sound more evil than could be. The Heartless grabbed the pincer, twisting harshly around. The shell was flipped about and hit the floor with a crunch. It leapt back to its feet, launching itself back at the Heartless, but this time the black creature was expecting. In a blur of incredible speed, the Heartless sidestepped the lunge and struck a violent blow to its back, catapulting the shell into the far wall of the chamber. Jac pushed himself to his feet, holding the Keys out in front of him. The shell wasn't moving.

“ It's unconscious,” the Heartless said. Jac felt oddly towards the creature. He was used to fighting them, but he knew this one was docile, somehow. “ You must leave here. Take it with you into the heart of the world and leave it there. I don't think it has the means to get out now that it has shed its covering.”

“ What is it?” Jac asked, moving quickly to Tidus' side. The boy was stirring, but he still looked very sickly.

“ It is the man who has been telling you what to do. The man who gave you that Key you're holding.”

Jac dropped the Ghost-Key as if scalded. He glanced at the unconscious shell. “ What does it...do?”

“ It does what he said, and maybe more,” the Heartless muttered. “ I do not know more than that it is the original Ghost-Key, and that the other is the original Anti-Kingdom Key. Keep them. But you must leave. Now!”

“ Where do I go?” Jac stooped to grab his Key and sheathed it in one smooth motion. He glanced back down at Tidus.

“ Find the door that is blank,” the Heartless was next to him in moments. “ Leave the boy here; I will protect him. He has a part to play yet. But you must go. There is something you must do. Now go!”

Jac pulled out Oblivion and the Paopu fruit, gazed at them for a moment, and then placed the Oblivion around Tidus' neck. The boy was still moving, but not yet awake. The Paopu fruit he returned to his pocket, and then he stalked over to the shell.

“ I will be back,” Jac tucked the Anti-Kingdom Keyblade under his arm and dragged the shell up right next to the place he had come in. “ But I can't take this with me.” He tossed the Keyblade backwards, reached into his pocket, pulled out the Paopu fruit, bit deep into the side of it, and tossed it onto the Keyblade. Then he pulled out the Ghost-Key and stepped onto the shell, ramming the Key into the wall and disappearing into the heart of Hollow Bastion.

Last edited:

Oathshadow

It is weird, but that's the way I like it. The part that gets me yelled at is next.

Chapter 8

Tidus swam in darkness. His thoughts drifted, as did he. The keyblade called to him, his soul, his heart. Tidus....

“ Wake up, young one,” the voice was rich and deep. Tidus could hear voices, but though he tried to seize the world of consciousness, he could not awaken. “ Rise, Dreamer. Your time is coming.”

An image entered Tidus's thoughts, grasping threads and twirling them around itself to form its shape. When it stopped moving, a boy stood there, in darkness, on something not quite visible.

“ Your birth...”

The boy twisted about, searching for the voice, but saw nothing. “ Who-”

“ Shh....Patience,” the voice admonished. The boy folded his arms and glanced at himself. For an instant, just a fragment of his own thought, he saw his body from somewhere else. Somewhere not so far off. He had unkempt blonde hair, with soft blue eyes and a mild-mannered face. His clothing was evenly matched between light and dark, containing both inexclusively. Two bands, one on his index and the other on his middle finger, continued this pattern. One was black, and one was white. Then the instant was gone, and the boy was himself again. Tidus's thoughts squirmed, and the image blurred for a moment.

“ Don't struggle,” again the boy searched for the voice. “ This is your destiny, to be the shadow of another.”

“ I-”

“ You must change, Tidus Dreamlord, for your time is up. He needs a new home. His body was destroyed. He needs yours.”

“ No!” The threads of thoughts and memories broke free of their shape. The boy was still there, Tidus could feel it. “ I'm not a puppet.”

“ You will go on, but this body is already rejecting you-”

“ Shut up! Go away! Let me wake up!”

“ And ruin the chance the Two have of opening the door? And wasting the sacrifice. The Ghost-Key will fulfill its purpose, and so you must do the same.”

“ What are you talking about?”

“ Do you not understand, Dreamlord? Nothing we do can be done without some sort of sacrifice. No more fighting. No more struggle. No words. And no tears.”

The essence of the boy began to pull together the threads of Tidus' thoughts once more. Little by little, Tidus gave way, and when the mild face was complete, the mouth moved in a hoarse heartfelt whisper, “ I'm sorry.”

Jac stumbled into the heart of Hollow Bastion, glancing back at the unconscious form of the shell. Primos screamed in his soul, but he did not even try to attack the thing again. It was fine there. Yes. Move on. “ Blasted shell,” he mumbled anyway, and stalked into the light.

He felt so empty now. His oath was behind him, as was Sora's folly. And Kairi. And the Dream Sword. Everything Jac had ever known was behind, but for the Ghost-Key and this place. He had promised to return to Hollow Bastion, but he felt in his heart that he would not. What he must do, Jac did not know. Something was leading him onward. His visions...

One created to destroy that which does not exist...one simple weapon to end the silence...one key that is not a key to end the suffering...an end to fit the beginnings, to start the war and end the pain...that is the purpose...one ghost to destroy the enemy that none else can withstand. The end marks the rebirth of those who will know the truth.

It is all an illusion.

Jac came back to himself, kneeling on the strange invisible floor of this place...he would call it heartsworld. That was...he thought he understood. He glanced up...nothing...nothing anywhere, nothing different. What were these moments of silence and obscurity? Why him?

“ Where?” he shook aside his doubts. As if in answer, a door came into view beyond the sparkles and foggy light. The door was pale, with black lines like tattoos sprawled in a circular pattern across its surface. It felt and looked like shells. Jac stood, brandishing his Ghost-Key cautiously. Nothing happened, so he approached.

The Ghost-Key felt warmer in Jac's hand the closer he got until he felt like he was holding a lantern by the glass panes. It wasn't painful, it was just hot. Like a burning weapon in the hand of a stone warrior. A stone warrior...weapon... Was the Ghost-Key a weapon? If so, against what? That which does not exist...
SHELLS!

Jac reacted to the thought like a bolt of lightning. He swung his key with all of his strength at the door, and instead of simply sliding through it sliced, leaving a glowing blue wake of destruction. Cracks spread from where the Ghost-Key went through, breaking off chunks of the door when they met the edge, and pale light glowed behind it. Pulling his key away, Jac watched the door obliterate until all that was left where pieces of door melting like ice at his feet.

Then he walked through into the world of the shells.

Welcome, Key-wielder, to Primos the great Citadel of the Non-existent Ones.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
I've read Keys! I read it before in the fanfic section on KH2.net. It's really great. But Jac can't have Kairi! NOOOO! Sorry. It's still a very great fic.

Oathshadow

Thanks, TLP. Wow, it's been a while. Sorry you've had to wait so long for the conclusion. Here it is!

Chapter 9

Jac uncurled himself, glancing behind him. There was nothing there. Not even a wall. He was surrounded by a vast, barren plain. It would have been a desert, if there had been any heat. But it was cold. So cold he wished he was wearing something more than his cape. He had expected to be beset by shells the instant he arrived, but he could see nothing white but his own skin. The Ghost-Key pulsed in his hand, a rhythmic beating that tugged him in one direction. He was inclined to follow.

Without warning, something mottled gray fell from the sky, raking at Jac's eyes. He ducked and rolled away, catching sight of the thing as it spun around. It was huge—almost twice as long as he was tall—and had only wings, legs, and a thick tail. The white shell ripped at places to reveal reddish-brown skin. Jac raised the Ghost-Key.

“You are the last,” the creature had no mouth, but it taunted him with its voice. Those strange wings did not even flap.

“Blasted shell!” Jac lunged. The shell spun away from him, watching mirthfully as he landed awkwardly. It dove and gripped him by the shoulders.

“A long time,” it cackled, spinning Jac in a quick barrel roll before dropping him ruthlessly to the ground.

In its next move, the shell found itself on the faded end of the Ghost-Key. Strange yellow eyes widened in shock. “The...”

Welcome home, Jac.

“Shut up,” Jac whispered harshly, stumbling away from the leathery white skin that was all that remained of the shell. A long, slow breath eased through his mind. It sounded an awful lot like bane.

Cold wind blew hard, sending his hair and clothing fluttering behind him. He walked towards the feeling that drew at him. The feeling that came from that building in the distance.

They are waiting.

“Leave me alone,” he clenched his teeth. As he walked, he saw a building rushing towards him. It was massive, with high minarets and a great central dome, and all of it was bone white. It looked chillingly like the skeleton of a cathedral.

Citadel.

Jac didn't respond, raising his key. Shells scrambled along the walls and on the floor, but none of their fiendish eyes remained fixed on Jac. They went about their business, much smaller than the other shells he had seen before.

There was a series of steps leading into the Citadel. “Splendid, Jac,” he reprimanded himself, averting his eyes from the white insects crawling at his feet. Slightly larger shells stood watch at the landing, but they made no move to stop him. They watched with their lipless grins, as if anticipating him.

He hurried on. There was a hallway that led into a room, but it was far. Something large floated in the distant room. The feeling came from there. Jac quickened his pace further, pushing the Ghost-key towards anything that came too close. Behind him, he could feel an ever-enlarging amount of yellow eyes boring into his back. He did not turn from the path ahead.

You have done exceedingly well to reach me here.

Jac froze, his eyes fixed on the titanic machine hovering off the ground. The voice did not distract him, but forced him to stare further.

I am indeed what you seek. I was programmed to recover you. I was also programmed to destroy you. But you must not let that happen. You must go. You must open the rift.

“Rift?”

A static voice crackled the air, “It is the way that your father brought you to the dimension you'd lived in those many years, Jac. The rift that allowed the shells and the heartless to manifest themselves in that universe. The destruction of Primos was eventually accepted, but the survivors have jeopardized a dimension already in danger. The rift that they thought had closed is open, and leaving it in this state will only make it worse. Open it further, make the movement between worlds free once more.”

Jac pointed the Ghost-Key at the machine. “How do I know that's right?”

“I have been programmed to tell you the danger, not to argue it. But I was programmed to destroy you. I have held it off as long as I can. Prepare yourself, Jac,”

A loud whir began, and then something screamed behind him. He spun. The shells charged him.

-- $ -- $ --

Kairi sat up, holding one hand to her breast. It burned like nothing she ever felt before. A primal surge of pain that drove her from her bed and onto the floor, heaving silently, writhing in the agony. It lasted nearly a minute before fading to a dull ache, but then it was not gone. It remained there, like a curse. The worst part was that it had hurt like seeing Sora die. Like seeing Riku standing over Sora's dead body with a bloody sword, and stabbing himself an instant after. It was not physical pain.

“Sora,” she whispered, dragging herself onto her bed. Her hair hung in her eyes, darker now, for some reason. It had almost been an instant change. She was growing. Growing up. . . . What would Sora be like? Her thoughts always strayed to him, but sometimes she thought of Jac. Especially today. It was Jac's face replacing Sora's, more often than not. And now she imagined that it would hurt her just as much to see Jac die. “I don't understand.”

“Kairi, honey, are you okay?”

“Yes! I fell, but I'll be all right,” she lied. The room was too dark for her to see anything in her room. Selphie was getting to be quite an artist. She had drawn a large mosaic of Sora and Jac fighting Heartless up a wheel, and at the top they met, tumbling down the left side together. Very creative, Kairi had told her. It hung on her wall now, and she spent the same amount of time staring at Jac's picture as she did Sora's. “Are we connected, too?”

-- $ -- $ --

Jac fell again, sweeping shells away with the Ghost-key and stumbling to face them. They still poured through their doorway, though many were dead around him. He was bleeding in a dozen places and the little ones were leeching him. Weak, he was.

“They will overcome you until you can overcome them, Jac. They are not your challenge. Hurry. Sora does not have much time.”

“Sora?” Jac spun his weapon, catching a large shell in the side. Every cut from the Ghost-key was lethal to them. Even the smallest. “What does Sora have to do with this?” Once again the shells drew back as the bipolar machine staved off its deadly programming once more.

“Sora has more to do with this than we do, I am afraid. If I were to tell you that young man's destiny, it would go against my programming.”

“Blast your programming!” Jac shouted, flicking a handful of shells off of his leg with his weapon's ethereal edge. “A lot of good it does me.”

He dashed another handful of the creatures off of him and then glanced up to see a familiar shape moving into the room. The rest of the shells made way for the N.E.O. as it crept towards its prey, mouth hanging open, empty, hungry.

“How did you?”

“This one is mine, Master. Give him to me!” the beastly shell demanded, its eyes riveted on the machine.

“It is in my programming to control all shells, but you have not the prerequisites. I cannot give you the skill to overcome Jac, Ansem.”

“The Heartless are nothing compared to me. He will not be my host. My heart still awaits me.”

“This Champion of the Heart will not allow you to go on. Jac, you cannot open the rift within first disposing of this monstrosity. He is an anomaly, a feint by the powers. His would-be-followers are lost without him. But the true Ansem resides, apparently, still.”

Jac scraped one last series of leeches from his arm before charging the N.E.O. They tumbled at once, the shell forcing Jac onto his back, dashing the Ghost-Key away.

“You'll find that it has less of an effect on me!” it cried, opening its maw wider to envelop its prey. But its prey had other ideas. Jac slid himself underneath the creature's grasp and made for his weapon. Shells swarmed over it, like insects to a flame. A large one reached for him, but he shoved it down onto the evanescent tip. It writhed a moment, sending the others flying.

Jac stood with the Ghost-key in his hand and shells draped over his entire body, clawing hungrily at him. He moved ponderously under the weight, struggling to reach his opponent. The N.E.O. Ansem gave a ravenous sigh, lunging.

-- $ -- $ --

Namine was startled from her reverie, staring at Sora. Was that a cringe? The motionless boy was nowhere near retrieving his old memories, but it might be far enough along to revive some of the memories he might already have of childhood. There was that time when Riku left him alone for three hours when they played hide-and-go-seek. And the time that Wakka was pretending to smite a monster with his ball and hit him in the face so hard he got a concussion.

But those were nothing compared to the momentary anguish on his face. Never had Namine seen so much pain in Sora's heart. True memories. . .

She felt a twinge, as if somewhere far off something terrible had happened.

-- $ -- $ --

Jac did another weak somersault through the air after the next hit, landing with a thud and surrounded in a small cloud of dust. He rose to his feet meekly, staring at the crazed N.E.O. that stood across the room. The shells were gone.

“His power is not so great as it appears. He is sacrificing something,” the machine was humming louder now, as if preparing for something. Its Janus-faced actions were not helping the situation.

“I had thought you to be of greater skill than that,” the heartless shell raised one claw disappointedly. “Perhaps you only fight well when there is something you are trying to protect. You are fond of that red-haired waif, yes?”

Jac would have expected his heart to beat faster were it not already throbbing in steady time with the schizophrenic machine. “There are no scars there,” he attempted to straighten himself, but his strength was giving out. He plucked a final leech from his neck. Blood oozed from the spot.

“You lie,” the shell came forward. “I saw you take the binding fruit. You have what you want. She now cares for you more deeply than the Key-bearer."

“That's not true,” Jac stepped back. “She would never feel for me that way.”

“And you thought you would join with Riku and Sora in thinking that she belongs to someone else. When will one of you just take her and finish your noble flounderings?”

“What do you know of Sora?”

“I know more than the Master will admit. He does not need the binding fruit. He will not take it. And what about your pathetic promises?”

“How do you know about that?” Jac needed nothing to straighten himself. He could still feel Kairi's embrace. Had there been something that he denied there? Despite his efforts, did he have feelings for her?

“He knows much that he knows little about, Jac. Kill him and be done with it.”

“Stop your taunting, you overgrown vacuum cleaner, and come on!”

Jac charged, but when the N.E.O. reached for him, he ducked under, slicing out one of its legs. The beast tripped but rose and spun, unaffected. Jac rammed the ghost-Key down its throat. All of it was consumed.

“Run, Jac!” the static voice boomed, and then everything went white.

-- $ -- $ --

Ephram rose, dashing his fingers into his copper-blonde hair, and gave a hoarse shout. That boy had given his body to—

Ephram sprang up and dashed to a mirror across the room. The body appeared to be his own, but he could almost see the fakeness of it. The unreality.

There is another, Ephram, who will fight along side you. You must help him remember.

His friends, DiZ, all of it came back. He was supposed to be dead. A Heartless. A shell. What happened?

“You were needed,” someone said. It was DiZ. Ansem. His clothing was hardly adequate anymore, after seeing what he looked like without it.

“But that boy, Tidus-”

“-retains memories inside of you. He is not completely gone. Now, there is something you must do. . .”

-- $ -- $ --
Jac opened his eyes. The machine lay in shambles on the ground. He looked around further. The Ghost-Key glittered, standing hilt-up out of the floor. He shuffled over to take it. Something was wrong. He felt like a part of him was missing.

His clothing was all but gone. His trousers remained, clinging to him with blood and sweat. The several accessories he had were also banged up pretty bad. The Titan Chain had worn a bloody line in his arm. Two of the Three Stars were shattered.

Heartguard was still there, close to his neck. He felt his bare chest, a faint pulse. There was something wrong with his heart.

“Jac. . .” the static voice buzzed to life again, but it was barely audible. “Beyond.” There was a flurry of sparks, then central processing unit was scrapped.

“Beyond,” he whispered, staring at the room. Shells were creeping in, watching him closely. They knew he was going to die soon. Come to think of it, he knew it too. There wasn't much time left. The pain was starting to come back into his numb limbs.

A door stood across from the hall, obvious what the machine meant. Jac staggered to it, opened it with ease, and stood on the edge of a precipice. He nearly fell, but grabbed the jamb, and pulled himself back up. He felt the leeches return to their places. The last of his blood began to ebb away.

His vision blurred. Something was down there. This was. . .

Open the rift.

Jac shook away a larger shell and searched for a smear in his vision. It didn't take long to find it. Something big struck him in the back. He stumbled to his knees. Light flared behind his eyes. He gasped, choking on something. That something was red and sticky. With a final lunge, he threw himself and the key at the smear. There was a terrific rending sound, and-

THE END

Don't kill me for the ending, please. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back