• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH 20 years anniversary is in 2022

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

What is Nomra planning for the 20th anniversary

• A remake of KH1 with unreal engine (let's start from scratch)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • A new compilation on PS5 with some improvements (let's solidify the base)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • A Disney+ show (let's expand our territory)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • The next title (let's be predictable)

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • An event of some sort in Tokyo (let's be uninspired)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

AegisXIII

Awards
Tetsuya Nomura mentioned in an interview recently that he hasn't forgotten that the series 20th anniversary is coming and that they are preparing something big. So, what do you think it's gonna be?

I have to admit that I was first reticent to the idea of a remake of KH1, but the idea is starting to grow on me. If they have 2 teams, one could work on remaking past titles with unreal engine, while the main team would move the series forward.

I wouldn't be too happy with a Disney + serie though. I think adaptations rarely work and KH mindfuck storytelling wouldn't fit on a show. Even worst, removing the craziness to appeal to a broader audience is my worst nightmare. Being popular but empty. This never ages well, remember high school. 😂

So, what do you think it's gonna be?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
My best two guesses are:

1. Either the next main title. Hopefully DDD Volume 2.

2. Or the rumored Disney+ series. Which is the option I voted for. If it's an adaptation starting from the beginning it would be fitting for it to be released on the 20th anniversary

Kokoko253

Awards
I really hope its not a remake of KH1. Don't start remaking the games, aunless you plan on remaking all of them. Otherwise, the fans are confused and angry that their favourite title won't get the same treatment (I'm looking at you, Ratchet and Clank).

With how popular KH3 was, the series is now on the radar of Disney (hence the Disney+ show), so Nomura has access to their inventory to make the 20th anniversary grand and special. I believe we can expect few weeks long event on an international scale, that includes trailers of a new game, reveal of the Disney+ show (or release of the first episode), and maybe a PS5 compilation, a few concerts, and lots of interviews inbetween. What I suspect the finale will be, is an emotional interview with Nomura, where asks fans all over the world to open the windows and hold up their copies of the games, everyone at the same time. Then the games will fly up in the sky above Tokyo, and the hundred million copies will merge into a heart shaped moon. Nomura will take out his coloured contact lenses to reveal his yellow eyes, and tell us how after the latest Keyblade war, pieces of Kingdom Hearts scattered in our world, and he used the games to capture them, and now he can finally reshape the world. He then strikes the moon with his Keyblade, creating a flash of light, after which we might get some new artwork, and new medals based on the artwork for Union Cross. Also new cards for Dark Road, and free jewels, of course.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I like most of these options.. So hard to choose... A new game will always be my priority (unless it's another mobile game, he can keep those). A KH1 re-make would be next (I'd love to experience that world roster with KH3's size, scope, and flowmotion), but I see this one as unlikely. A PS5 re-release of KH3 (possibly including other games, too)--with the Re-Mind content on the physical disc--would be next. I'd put a KH TV series last. Not because it wouldn't be exciting, but I probably wouldn't see it for a long time if it's streaming exclusive.

Putting aside what I'd like to happen though, my guess of what will happen is the PS5 re-release of the entire series.

Last edited:

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
I would not want a remake of KH1. The game has been used so many times in this series already and they're still doing it with Melody of Memory. Maybe if they hadn't milked the image of KH1 so hard a remake would be cool but at this point I think it's redundant.

If there is a Disney+ show, I wonder if it would be 2D animated or if they would animate it in 3D with the old models or the KH3 artstyle. I think I'd prefer 3D animation for it though.

However, I am very excited for Kingdom Hearts 4 Versus The World Ends with Verum Rex (which will actually just be a direct sequel to Re:coded)

AR829038

Awards
It's an absolute NO from me on the issue of a KH1 remake. For several reasons:
1) I don't want Nomura or his team diverting time, resources, energy, and attention away from continuing the story just to go back and recursively resurrect something from the Xehanort saga. I want the story to keep rolling forward. We waited long enough for KH3, I don't want to have to wait that long again for KH4.
2) To me, KH1 is perfectly fine as it is, and the old PS2 design actually works to its advantage from an aesthetic standpoint. KH1 has always had the most unique and childlike charm in the series, and the simpler, boxier world designs kind of do a good job at reflecting that small scale and innocence. KH3 was the game that made us feel grown up, KH2 was the game that made us feel like we were GROWING up, and KH1 was the game that made us feel like kids whenever we went back and played it. I think trying to remake it and put a KH3-style wash over it, as incredible as it might look, would ruin that charm. To me, KH1 is perfect; even its faults are perfect. And besides, if they're going to remake any game in the series, it SHOULD be Union X, or at the very least Days. KH1 still stands on its own all these years later, and that's a testament to how great it is on its own.

Personally, I'm of a mind to agree with most of the people here. I think we're going to see the Disney+ series trailer, probably the trailer for one or maybe even two of the next games in the series, tons of interviews, celebrations, concerts, and maybe—MAYBE—if we're lucky, a short little glimpse at KH4, even if it's just a concept teaser.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I would not want a remake of KH1. The game has been used so many times in this series already and they're still doing it with Melody of Memory. Maybe if they hadn't milked the image of KH1 so hard a remake would be cool but at this point I think it's redundant.

If there is a Disney+ show, I wonder if it would be 2D animated or if they would animate it in 3D with the old models or the KH3 artstyle. I think I'd prefer 3D animation for it though.

However, I am very excited for Kingdom Hearts 4 Versus The World Ends with Verum Rex (which will actually just be a direct sequel to Re:coded)

The show is 3D and will be done by the Kingdom Hearts team as far as anybody is aware since the leak happened. We don’t know how it will look, but I imagine they will go for KH3’s look just because it’s the new standard for the franchise.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I would have preferred 2D animation for the Disney+ series like with TWEWY anime. Where as with 3D animation it will feel like I'm just watching the game's cutscenes.

Wally71551

Awards
I'm just gonna say something else, it's impossible to even try to guess what Nomura has in store. Just like with story predictions, almost nobody is ever right.

omelet_schnetz

Awards
I would be excited for a KH1 remake as long as it didn't halt the production of any other games going forward. It'd be cool to see, but I really don't think it should be a priority since we've already gotten so many rereleases of past games.

I would love a Disney + show (imagine 22-minutes of KH story a week for a couple months), and I think they could go lots of different routes, but it would be cool to use it as a channel to balance the screentime of characters since there are so many now.

The thing I'm looking forward to is the next game. I feel like it makes since that the KH3 cutscenes are teasing games (they'd be kind of out of place otherwise) so I think the most likely games are DDD2 with sora and riku (based off of secret ending; sorry kairi), BBSvol2 (based off of limit cut cutscene), and I want a union cross remake more than anything. I really think that when it's not spread out over five whole years, the main story is some of the best in the series. I'd prefer a game but wouldn't mind a separate movie. I retain the belief if Union Cross is actually going to be a main plot point going forward, i think it'd be best as a game since more people would experience it than a movie and it gives us more time with the characters. Honestly, whatever they end up doing, I'll be hyped for it.

Wally71551

Awards
I would love a Disney + show (imagine 22-minutes of KH story a week for a couple months), and I think they could go lots of different routes, but it would be cool to use it as a channel to balance the screentime of characters since there are so many now.
The only problem I see with the Disney+ show is what the actual content would end up being. I don't see Disney wanting to fund anything that just continues the plot forward, given that only people who've played every game would understand it. Unless it's some sort of KH1 retelling like the cancelled animated show was going to be, I don't know if there's much they could do. But hey, I'd love to be surprised with something that really moves the plot of the series forward and help to hold us over for the wait to the next big game.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Honestly genuinely think we're getting another mobile gacha entry for KH's 20th. It would be amazing if, say, KHDR had been running for 2 years and still not finished. Then BOOM, we get a Triple Feature in KHUXDR?? Just to rub salt in the wound of the core action title fans. God please Nomura make it happen. The eternal butthurt and angst would be so worth it

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
1. KH4 released in March 2022, if that doesn't happen then...
2. KH3D2 released in March 2022, with a KH4 teaser trailer dropped
3. KH: The Animated Series released on Disney+
4. KH3ReMIND, MoM, and KHUX Film released in a collection
5. Acoustic recordings of Sanctuary, Face My Fears, and Don't Think Twice released

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
The show is 3D and will be done by the Kingdom Hearts team as far as anybody is aware since the leak happened. We don’t know how it will look, but I imagine they will go for KH3’s look just because it’s the new standard for the franchise.

Well I think that makes the most sense. I think it'll look very good. I'm curious as to what part of the timeline they would set it

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

You know a Disney+ show will be a re-telling of KH1, too... :p I'd be surprised if it continued long enough to go through CoM, KH2, 3D, and KH3...

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
1. KH4 released in March 2022, if that doesn't happen then...
2. KH3D2 released in March 2022, with a KH4 teaser trailer dropped
I'm starting to think DDD2 & KH4 are one and the same. The journey to find & save Sora will be the main objective of KH4. Sora himself will probably get a KH2-like prologue in Shibuya.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I would have preferred 2D animation for the Disney+ series like with TWEWY anime. Where as with 3D animation it will feel like I'm just watching the game's cutscenes.

TWEWY anime isn't fully 2D anyways.

You know a Disney+ show will be a re-telling of KH1, too... :p I'd be surprised if it continued long enough to go through CoM, KH2, 3D, and KH3...

There's nothing to suggest this.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
KH1 Remake should happen one day, but definitely not before the story is finished!

My guess is that in 2022 we will get the next major Kingdom Hearts game.

It's also just a matter of time until we get a KH collection package for PS5 (ReMind and MoM included). Now which year that will be released I don't know, but I doubt they will release that collection and a major game in the same year.

Back