• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KH Character Files: Short Stories - Young Xehanort, Terra-Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
This group was unfortunately more disappointing. Still, really appreciate the time spent on translating these. I look forward to reading more. Just to throw out some potential ideas though for these characters:

Young Xehanort - His opinion when meeting MoM
Ansem - Awakening as a humanoid heartless and continuing his research
Terranort - Being appointed as an apprentice and his opinions on his fellow researchers
Xemnas - Awakening as a Nobody for the first time or just an account of his daily life at TWTNW
I'd want those. ;~;

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
And when she does overstep, it either ends up being really cute (TAV and their stuff with sweets) or really divisive (Vanitas and Xion). So she avoided overstepping here for the most part.

How was Xion's divisive? Vanitas, I've read why here and in other places. But Xion's seems pretty harmless. Never heard any disdain.

I'm more surprised and disappointed that Roxas got stuck with a recap about Days and Xion. There's so much to cover for him that could be interesting, especially with what we didn't see in KHIII. His feelings about HPO, maybe a tidbit on how he talked to Riku or Isa, the two emotional triggers that had him flash over Sora in the game (how he managed that), etc. Kanemaki loves to box him with Xion or RAX for some reason (well, I can reason why, but it won't be taken kindly). Axel's was a surprise, cause it was about Ventus. It was, well, refreshing. Even if again there's nothing inherently new.

But more surprising is what I read about Naminé's short story file, so I'll probably have some questions there if it turns out like the two other translations.

AR829038

Awards
These ones left me confounded for so many reasons.
First, it took me until the second "story" to realize that they were being narrated from Sora's perspective, so through the YX one I was totally confused why he was talking about himself in the third person like he couldn't recognize himself. Terrible writing.
Second, what wasted potential! As bland and vacuous as these "stories" are, the norts could have at least been the most interesting characters to provide some introspection on. Frankly, I don't need any more insight into the thoughts of the heroes—I was actually somewhat intrigued to hear what the various incarnations of Xehanort feel about their own existence in relation to the old man who's using them all/himself for his own ends.
Third, like what everyone is saying, absolutely NOTHING of note here. These should not have been written. They offer nothing, they ARE nothing. They are a waste of language, breath, time, and mental energy. I refuse to even call these "stories". They are brain farts. Kingdom Hearts-themed brain farts, pure and simple.
I feel so bad for any poor suckers who got cheated into buying this trash, and might I just say, SHAME on Kanemaki and Square Enix and whoever else was involved in the publication of this drivel. Just like Union X gatcha, this is yet another deceitful trick to squeeze more money out of their inordinately loyal fans. As a fan, a writer, and a consumer, I say this is absolutely disgraceful.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Sora: This particular villain approached me from out of nowhere and told me that I would fall to darkness. Me! Ridiculous, I thought. I told him that I would never fall to the dark. Where did he even come from? The darkness, probably. I know that the light will guide me through the darkness. He may have come from Xehanort. Crazy stuff.

D

Deleted member 252753

I think the YX one is particularly bad. It doesn't even put any narrative spin, on him and the two tiny scenes aren't even his most interesting scenes in Sora's DDD by a long way. It's a shame because I think he's well written in the games, with a malice and sarcasm entirely lacking here.

PikaPal

Awards
Disappointed with these lot especially as far as both Ansem and Xemnas are concerned. We could have gotten one final short story from them, a way to cap these two off and give them some extra closure or more insight into them but NOPE, gotta pull a recap on us and stick Sora in there to tell their stories.

Last edited:

Nukara

Awards
These ones left me confounded for so many reasons.
First, it took me until the second "story" to realize that they were being narrated from Sora's perspective, so through the YX one I was totally confused why he was talking about himself in the third person like he couldn't recognize himself. Terrible writing.
Second, what wasted potential! As bland and vacuous as these "stories" are, the norts could have at least been the most interesting characters to provide some introspection on. Frankly, I don't need any more insight into the thoughts of the heroes—I was actually somewhat intrigued to hear what the various incarnations of Xehanort feel about their own existence in relation to the old man who's using them all/himself for his own ends.
Third, like what everyone is saying, absolutely NOTHING of note here. These should not have been written. They offer nothing, they ARE nothing. They are a waste of language, breath, time, and mental energy. I refuse to even call these "stories". They are brain farts. Kingdom Hearts-themed brain farts, pure and simple.
I feel so bad for any poor suckers who got cheated into buying this trash, and might I just say, SHAME on Kanemaki and Square Enix and whoever else was involved in the publication of this drivel. Just like Union X gatcha, this is yet another deceitful trick to squeeze more money out of their inordinately loyal fans. As a fan, a writer, and a consumer, I say this is absolutely disgraceful.
This is just a couple of non-canonical records. Do not go too far. ((
KH fans are very toxic.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
This is just a couple of non-canonical records. Do not go too far. ((
KH fans are very toxic.

Nah, he’s right. They marketed this book on the short stories being something new. They even had that preview of Luxubar that was really intriguing and it set the bar high for what the rest of the book will be. The actual Xigbar story is a bit different and honestly not as fun of a read as the preview and it is clear that they used the preview to misrepresent the book.

I don’t think SE or Kanemaki intentionally tried ripping anybody off, but I do think they tried making this book come off as more important than it really ended up being which is a shame.

How was Xion's divisive? Vanitas, I've read why here and in other places. But Xion's seems pretty harmless. Never heard any disdain.

People either LOVE Xion or they see her as this useless self-insert that took up important time that should have been spent developing the Organization characters. After all she wrote the scenario for Days. That’s pretty divisive to me.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
This is first time I’ve ever heard xion referred to as a self-insert. I’ve heard Mary Sue but not self insert.

Anyways I have to wonder was kanemaki rushed with some of these? Because some stories are clearly more unique then others.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Sora: This particular villain approached me from out of nowhere and told me that I would fall to darkness. Me! Ridiculous, I thought. I told him that I would never fall to the dark. Where did he even come from? The darkness, probably. I know that the light will guide me through the darkness. He may have come from Xehanort. Crazy stuff.
Petition to have Kanemaki replaced by Launchpad.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I thought it was supposed to be the characters' telling their point of view or talking about themselves. When I was reading the Ansem one I was like... since when does Ansem speak intelligently, then transition to blabbering idiot? Then I realized it was Sora retelling what we already know lol.

Back