• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH2 in the Smithsonian

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Have you ever thought it would be cool for the Kingdom Hearts series to be recognized on a large scale? Well, as it just so happens, now is the perfect chance to do so. The Smithsonian American Art Museum is opening up a video game history exhibit, and they're running online polls to determine what games should be included in the five distinct "eras" that they are displaying. As it turns out, KH2 is one of the PS2 games that can be voted on for the Next Generation Era 5. Each user gets 80 votes for any games on any system over all eras. Take a look and vote for the games you think deserve to make history.

For those who don't know, in the US the Smithsonian is the museum of all museums. For something to be displayed there is a tremendous honor. I highly suggest voting for your favorite games.

Here is the site: Vote Now!

Note: if this belongs in Video Games, or somewhere else, feel free to move it

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wow, this is amazing news, Ragnell! Great find!

Superschlock

Don't you step out of line
Awards
How the fuck are Super Mario Sunshine and SSBB not in the GC category?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Definitely overhype. If the Smithsonian has a curator that is going to take hype instead of actually doing their research and choosing the game that has more magic, then they are lame. Though I understand the reasoning. KH2 has more to show off, artwork wise and gameplay wise. KH1 didn't have all the nifty things KH2 did while being superior in terms of story and difficulty.

Bah. Art curators piss me off sometimes. Either they are all about the avant garde, the classic, the pop, or the hype. And I think this curator did the hype with a touch of classic. This exhibit wasn't made for video game fans, I can assure you. This is for museum goers who might not understand the video game world.

If this was for video game fans, the game selection would have been way better.While up to the "bit wars" it stays pretty good with selection, it is still a mix of hype. -_-

Last edited:

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
If the Smithsonian has a curator that is going to take hype instead of actually doing their research and choosing the game that has more magic, then they are lame.

Well, that's kind of a stupid thing to say >_>
Even if the Smithsonian did "research" or whatever, it still boils down to opinion as to which game is better or has more "magic." Just about everything is an opinion. Saying that the Smithsonian is being lame for choosing a game against your opinion has nothing to do with fact.

Anyway, I don't really understand why ANY KH game would be on the Smithsonian... or any video game for that matter. I just don't picture "video games" as something that can be in a museum.

Pratiko

Awards
of all KH games, why KH2 <.<
re:CoM would have been a better choice, or even BbS if art was important

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
If the Smithsonian had done all of the research needed to choose a game worthy of being called art, then Folklore (as little-known as it is) should have been among the nominations...

Quite a bit of them seem to have been chosen based on hype, as Ethnic Woman said, but one also needs to remember that video games haven't exactly been recognized as art by anyone outside of the gaming community before. The Smithsonian is hardly in an informed position, hence this poll.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Well, that's kind of a stupid thing to say >_>
Even if the Smithsonian did "research" or whatever, it still boils down to opinion as to which game is better or has more "magic." Just about everything is an opinion. Saying that the Smithsonian is being lame for choosing a game against your opinion has nothing to do with fact.

Anyway, I don't really understand why ANY KH game would be on the Smithsonian... or any video game for that matter. I just don't picture "video games" as something that can be in a museum.

I'm not saying it is fact. My concentration is Art History at my college and somehow got an award for my excellence with Art History, so I think I have a little leeway to offer an opinion.

And saying that is like saying most exhibits can't be at museums. I've been to an exhibit that was just a pool and a room of the reflection of lights. Another one that was just a video. And don't get me started on a Star Trek exhibit I saw.

Video games are an art form (though not widely accepted), so why shouldn't it be at a museum?

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Lol....went to vote for KHII....but then I saw FFX.....if it had been KH1, it would have been an easy choice.....but not so much now.....oh dear =/

*Looks at GC* How the hell do you have Star Fox Assault, but not Adventures? Smh they messed up.

And what? Handhelds don't get no love?

Last edited:

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I've been to an exhibit that was just a pool and a room of the reflection of lights. Another one that was just a video. And don't get me started on a Star Trek exhibit I saw.

Really? o_0 That just doesn't seem to fit the image of a "museum" at all... I mean, when I think of a museum I think of historical artifacts, paintings and statues. I just don't imagine movies or games or anything digital to fit in a museum.

I'm not seeing video games aren't a form of art, I do believe it is... but I don't know, it still seems werid in my head.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Really? o_0 That just doesn't seem to fit the image of a "museum" at all... I mean, when I think of a museum I think of historical artifacts, paintings and statues. I just don't imagine movies or games or anything digital to fit in a museum.

I'm not seeing video games aren't a form of art, I do believe it is... but I don't know, it still seems werid in my head.

You've clearly never been to a museum before. Or at least not recently. =/

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Oh my. You should visit museums more often. Or more specifically art spaces. The more mainstream museums are made just for the historical things like you mentioned, but museums for contemporary art are definitely more liberal in what they have shown. The digital realm has been invading museums since before the sixties, and video art is pretty popular in certain avant garde circles.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
Lol....went to vote for KHII....but then I saw FFX.....if it had been KH1, it would have been an easy choice.....but not so much now.....oh dear =/

*Looks at GC* How the hell do you have Star Fox Assault, but not Adventures? Smh they messed up.

And what? Handhelds don't get no love?
Vote for both. You get 80 votes, so you might as well go all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back