• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH2FM+ English Patch

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyranitarphantom

If you've played KH2, you can play KH2FM just fine, even if you don't know even the slightest bit of Japanese (like me)

-Roxas-XIII-

I cant wait until this comes out!!!!

Does anyone know how exactly he is doing it?
I mod PC games all of the time so i have extensive knowledge in modding, but I'd like know how he is able to mod a PS2 game

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
I don't. Ask him to release his tools and process if you would like to know.
I also found this to give some information. PS2 games can be done by ripping the ISO and I guess he uses HEX editor?

Romhacking.net - Getting Started

Tables and Text Editing The basic building block of text editing.

Tables are another essential piece of ROMhacking knowledge you'll need if you ever hope to do any sort of text editing in your game and move beyond the cookie cutter graphics only hacks many have done. Tables are also absolutely required for doing any sort of Translation effort. As you can see, this is a very important thing to learn. Many newcomers have trouble grasping the table concept sometimes and I feel much of that can be contributed to not understanding hexadecimal! It's important that you understand the type of numbers you're dealing with before making a table that uses them!
So, what exactly is a table? A table is a simple text file that lists all the font characters the game uses, and what hexadecimal (or binary) code represents them in the ROM. Why do you need one? Because you can't just open up a ROM and see the text (except in rare cases where the text is stored in ASCII such as the text you're reading now). A table is the key step that acts as a translation so that you can see and work with the text in a ROM. Here are several good documents explaining this concept better and how to make your own.

Recommended Sources to learn about Tables and Text Editing:
Introduction to Translation Hacking So, you want to translate a game from one language to another?

Translation hacking is simply a specialized form of ROMhacking in general. Translations obviously deal primarily with text editing. I hope you've read and gotten the hang of tables because you'll need to understand them if you ever hope to do a translation. The key difference in doing a translation is the table is in another language! How do we handle that? The same exact way we handle any other table.
Every language has some sort of alphabet. It would probably be a good idea to take a few minutes on Google and read a little bit about the language you want to translate from. That's right, the hacker should take some time to get familiar with some basic concepts in the source language even if they aren't actually going to translate the script. You don't need to be able to read anything, but you should know about the alphabet of your language and some other basic things. Google is your friend, don't be afraid to use it!
Most console games that people translate are in Japanese. That's also the type of translation I'm most familiar with, so I will use that as an example. However, these concepts can apply to any language. Japanese uses two basic alphabets, Hiragana, and Katakana. You're going to need to know the order of these Japanese alphabets just as you would the English alphabet to make a Japanese table.
As long as your game doesn't have a compressed font, you can make life much easier for yourself by editing the Japanese tiles to English alphabet just so you can do some relative searching and get the initial table values started. One new thing introduced with Japanese is double byte table values. Any game that uses Kanji(a third set of Japanese characters) will use two bytes for each entry in the table. This is because there are more than 255 Kanji! In fact, there are a few thousand! Luckily, most games only use a few hundred to about a thousand or so. Also note that tables like this can use BOTH two byte AND one byte values. Two bytes for Kanji and one byte for everything else. So, things can get a little tricky.
You should be able to get your feet wet in trying to do a translation with the knowledge we've learned so far and these additional resources.

Recommended Translation Resources:
  • Tables For Dummies - A more detailed table making guide which also covers Japanese table making.
  • JWPce - A free Japanese word processor. This is the easiest way to view Japanese on your computer.
  • NJ Star Word Processor - An alternative good Japanese word processor.
  • Tile Layer Pro - An easy to use multi-format tile editor perfect for beginners.
  • TaBuLar - A nice handy table generator that can even generate Japanese tables to some extent.
Visit the link for more info

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
That would be a no on the tools

Btw majik are you going to release the tools you did all your work with??

Sorry, but no. I'm not stingy about holding out on stuff like that, but when it comes to tools necessary for my personal projects I never release them. For a simple reason that I have seen happen to a few of my friends; they release their tools and someone else (who happens to have more free time on their hands) uses their tools to take over their project.

I don't know why that would be though since people could finish the whole job. Sure you want credit for your work, but people want a complete product whether it is free or not. If people could sort of find the tools he has made or ask what tools has did have so you can copy by making or own just ask him.

Jadentheman

Bronze Member
BETA english patch now out!! Buy the game off of play-asia please.

Many kudos to Evilman_89 and Iwantedtoexplode for BETA testing.
The results from the current patch are:

Game Crashes
1. When trying to pause the game when you are first able to open up the menu.
2. When trying to go into Configuration as Roxas (not sure if it's all the time but it does it when you go into the Menu during the start of the 3rd day)edit: found it it only happens in the Usual Place, strange.
3. Whenever you open a Treasure Chest and then open the menu (happens 100% of the time). You won't be able to open the menu unless you save the game after opening the chest and then load up the save. So that's a pretty ugly bug there.

So yeah, this is far from perfect. Don't use the patch if those are too big of problems for ya. If you find more crashes, post them up so I can fix them eventually.

Use ppf-O-Matic to apply the patch to your Japanese ISO.
Many kudos to Evilman_89 and Iwantedtoexplode for BETA testing.
The results from the current patch are:

Game Crashes
1. When trying to pause the game when you are first able to open up the menu.
2. When trying to go into Configuration as Roxas (not sure if it's all the time but it does it when you go into the Menu during the start of the 3rd day)edit: found it it only happens in the Usual Place, strange.
3. Whenever you open a Treasure Chest and then open the menu (happens 100% of the time). You won't be able to open the menu unless you save the game after opening the chest and then load up the save. So that's a pretty ugly bug there.

So yeah, this is far from perfect. Don't use the patch if those are too big of problems for ya. If you find more crashes, post them up so I can fix them eventually.

Use ppf-O-Matic to apply the patch to your Japanese ISO.
Go here:Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix

password: 7/1/2010 :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back