• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH3D Gametrailers Interview with Raio Mitsuno!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Got another interview for you here, folks, and no need to worry about translations this time; it's in English! Gametrailers has done an interview with Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] Product Manager Raio Mitsuno to learn about everything behind the game! Check it out!

I has transcript!

And it's below for the lazies~

[Traverse Town gameplay from TGS 2011 trailer]

Yen Sid: " Instead of the Heartless, the darkness that plague the majority of worlds, there exists a different darkness in the worlds trapped in slumber."
Raio Mitsuno (Product Manager for Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]): Each of the words: Dream Drop Distance have a meaning in terms of the overall story for this one. One in particular is that Sora and Riku are entering the sleeping worlds. They're taking their Mark of Mastery exam. Dream is a representation of that. The worlds they're entering are worlds that are still trapped in a state of sleep, so that's one word. Drop is the mechanism that the game has incorporated to be able to switch off between Sora and Riku. As you're playing with each character, they have a drop gauge under their HP bar. When that completely depletes, that character falls asleep, which is called a 'Drop', and you actually continue where the other character left off, so that's the Drop. Distance is the word that represents the distance between Sora and Riku. During their adventure, they're actually not together. They do travel to the same worlds, but it's kind of like Birth by Sleep where the three characters went to the same worlds but they were doing different actions; they had a different storyline. That's kind of the representation is that what Sora does in one world does affect what happens to Riku in the other world. They're always connected in some way, and that's what the distance part is.

[Sora arrives in Traverse Town]

Sora: Huh, my clothes changed! More importantly, where's Riku? Heeey! Rikuuu!
???: Quiet down.
Sora: Huh?
???: Such a terrible Noise.
Mitsuno: Similar to the Heartless, the Unversed and even the Nobodies, in the Sleeping Worlds, they're worlds that Heartless can't reach, and Nobodies can't reach. But there are these unique monsters called "Dream Eaters"; specifically they're split into two categories. The Spirits are the good ones; those are the ones you can actually breed and treat as your pets, help them get stronger; those are called "Spirits". The Nightmares are the evil ones which you're actually fighting. The way they stand is that Nightmares consume people's dreams and the Spirits consume the nightmares. They're the new creatures in the game; they range from the really cute looking ones to, really, almost dinosaur-looking, fierce-looking ones. The Spirits that you have on your party, the stronger they get, you actually are taught abilities from them, so it's a reciprocal relationship where most games that have this monster element, it's just making them stronger but this actually helps Sora and Riku gain abilities too.

[Augmented Reality footage with Komory Bat from TGS 2011 trailer]

[Sora Dual Link footage from TGS 2011 trailer]

Yen Sid: By unlocking the keyhole of sleep, not only will you obtain new powers...
Mitsuno: Kingdom Hearts is known for its fast-paced action, really really action-packed gameplay, but this actually takes it to a whole new level. First and foremost is a new feature called "Flow Motion". Sora and Riku can interact with basically anything in their environment. They can kick off of a wall and go into a really quick dive. They can spin on poles, they can grind on rails; there's a lot of things in their environment that they can interact with. It's good for, one: going from Point A to Point B really fast, because you can fling yourself to a really high rooftop in one move. You can actually chain each of those moves into unique attacks. They're kind of like the finishing abilities from Birth by Sleep where they're really powerful attacks, so if you're surrounded by a bunch of enemies and backed into a corner, just one jump off the ledge will trigger a very, very strong, powerful attack into the crowd of enemies; that's one new feature.

The Dream Eaters actually help too. They have a gauge under their HP bar called the "Link Gauge". When that's filled, Sora and Riku can both team up with each of those Dream Eaters and perform really powerful attacks, but they do it differently. Sora teams up with the Dream Eater, so he'll hop on their back and stomp on the enemies or a big bear-type Spirit will fling Sora around and just hit all the enemies and just throw him at the enemies. Riku does it differently; he actually absorbs their powers for a short duration of time. He actually represents something similar to the Command Styles from Birth by Sleep where he could get a really long Keyblade energy-blade for a little while, or he can grow these power claws on his feet and arms and just do like a more feral-animal type of attack. They have different ways of fighting and it really changes up the dynamic switching between Sora and Riku.

[Neku shows Sora his timer.]

Neku: All the participants have this engraved on them. I can't afford to lose this game!
Sora: I don't really understand 'the Game'...
Mitsuno: This game actually features Disney worlds that have never been used in Kingdom Hearts. You'll be visiting The Grid from the recent movie Tron Legacy; you'll be visiting the Hunchback of Notre Dame's world; you'll be visiting Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers' movie; you'll be visiting Fantasia; all of the Disney worlds that are in this game are brand new to the series.

[Riku gameplay in The Grid from April 21st European Nintendo Conference]

Mitsuno: This is the shortest duration, or a gap, between the Japanese release and the North American release for a Kingdom Hearts game. For example, Birth by Sleep had almost 8 months separation. With such a short term, they didn't really add too many new features in. They made some under-the-hood changes; some minor changes that are not really so overt to the person just playing it. But there are some differences to the preorder incentives we've released: AR cards that actually unlock some of the rare Dream Eaters. For North America, even if you don't have the AR cards, you can actually get those Dream Eaters in the game. They do take more effort; they are difficult to obtain, whereas in Japan, the Dream Eaters are exclusive to those cards, so if you didn't have them, you couldn't get them in the game.

[Riku Dual Link footage from TGS 2011 trailer]

[Xehanort's flashback from TGS 2011 trailer]

Mitsuno: Like Kingdom Hearts I and II had cameos from the Final Fantasy series, this one just wanted to change it up a bit. Traverse Town ―one of the first worlds you go into― right off the bat, Sora will meet Neku, Riku will meet Joshua; it's cool because their stories kind of intertwine. Neku's looking for his partner in the Game, he asks Sora if he's a Player, he's not a Player, so it's cool that for fans who've played The World Ends With You, it just really brings a smile to their faces when they first see those characters. This is a brand that kind of has a way of bringing in other properties and making it feel seamless, and that's one of the examples that we've done for this title.

[Sora gameplay in La Cite des Cloches from April 21st European Nintendo Conference]

Mitsuno: There's a very, very fast-paced battle; it's kind of a minigame, it's called "Flick Rush". You basically put your three Dream Eaters against your friend's three Dream Eaters. It's a really quick decision-based battle. Your objective is to just defeat all of theirs before your friend defeats you.

[Sora Co-op Technique with Necho Cat in Country of the Musketeers from April 21st European Nintendo Conference]

Mitsuno: Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] will be out July 31st exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
inb4 all old info and footage

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
I like how the guy seems to be really pumped up about the game. Makes the interview so much better, even though it's mostly old information.

Thanks for the link Sign!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Wait wait wait.....the Japanese version didn't have any way to obtain the rare dream eaters without the AR cards????? I...didn't know that. @_@

Nah, there's no difference between our versions in regards to that.

Also, I guess the previous interview spelled his name wrong?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I'm glad that we don't need the cards, but it sucks how the Japanese are getting the short end of the stick this time around.

Don't give either side something the other won't get.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm glad that we don't need the cards, but it sucks how the Japanese are getting the short end of the stick this time around.

Don't give either side something the other won't get.

Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] -Final Mix-

8D

darkness9406

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I hope not, I dont want to buy a Japanese 3DS ( do not start to say that is not necessary to buy the game because it is in my opinion)

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
The 3ds can do DLC so chillax guys. :)

I know, but what are the chances we'll get a Final Mix? It's possible, yes, but I wouldn't hold out for it.

Although we could always start a large petition like RE: Chain of Memories.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
If they release a half ass game and need to add a few things then they can do so via DLC, it's 2012 and final mix's are not welcome here.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I like this guy. He seems genuinely excited for the games, which obviously added a level to my own anticipation. His voice cracks @ 19s, and he was fumbling over some of his words; it was actually kindof endearing. :}

Also, I knew Riku absorbed powers from his DEs, but I didn't know they were responsible for the attacks similar to the command styles in BBS. Riku & Bladecharge~ :Q

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
If they release a half ass game and need to add a few things then they can do so via DLC, it's 2012 and final mix's are not welcome here.

Just becasue they make dlc doesnt mean they wil release it to america. Justlike dissidia stuff

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
derp transcript

[Traverse Town gameplay from TGS 2011 trailer]

Yen Sid: " Instead of the Heartless, the darkness that plague the majority of worlds, there exists a different darkness in the worlds trapped in slumber."
Raio Mitsuno (Product Manager for Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]): Each of the words: Dream Drop Distance have a meaning in terms of the overall story for this one. One in particular is that Sora and Riku are entering the sleeping worlds. They're taking their Mark of Mastery exam. Dream is a representation of that. The worlds they're entering are worlds that are still trapped in a state of sleep, so that's one word. Drop is the mechanism that the game has incorporated to be able to switch off between Sora and Riku. As you're playing with each character, they have a drop gauge under their HP bar. When that completely depletes, that character falls asleep, which is called a 'Drop', and you actually continue where the other character left off, so that's the Drop. Distance is the word that represents the distance between Sora and Riku. During their adventure, they're actually not together. They do travel to the same worlds, but it's kind of like Birth by Sleep where the three characters went to the same worlds but they were doing different actions; they had a different storyline. That's kind of the representation is that what Sora does in one world does affect what happens to Riku in the other world. They're always connected in some way, and that's what the distance part is.

[Sora arrives in Traverse Town]

Sora: Huh, my clothes changed! More importantly, where's Riku? Heeey! Rikuuu!
???: Quiet down.
Sora: Huh?
???: Such a terrible Noise.
Mitsuno: Similar to the Heartless, the Unversed and even the Nobodies, in the Sleeping Worlds, they're worlds that Heartless can't reach, and Nobodies can't reach. But there are these unique monsters called "Dream Eaters"; specifically they're split into two categories. The Spirits are the good ones; those are the ones you can actually breed and treat as your pets, help them get stronger; those are called "Spirits". The Nightmares are the evil ones which you're actually fighting. The way they stand is that Nightmares consume people's dreams and the Spirits consume the nightmares. They're the new creatures in the game; they range from the really cute looking ones to, really, almost dinosaur-looking, fierce-looking ones. The Spirits that you have on your party, the stronger they get, you actually are taught abilities from them, so it's a reciprocal relationship where most games that have this monster element, it's just making them stronger but this actually helps Sora and Riku gain abilities too.

[Augmented Reality footage with Komory Bat from TGS 2011 trailer]

[Sora Dual Link footage from TGS 2011 trailer]

Yen Sid: By unlocking the keyhole of sleep, not only will you obtain new powers...
Mitsuno: Kingdom Hearts is known for its fast-paced action, really really action-packed gameplay, but this actually takes it to a whole new level. First and foremost is a new feature called "Flow Motion". Sora and Riku can interact with basically anything in their environment. They can kick off of a wall and go into a really quick dive. They can spin on poles, they can grind on rails; there's a lot of things in their environment that they can interact with. It's good for, one: going from Point A to Point B really fast, because you can fling yourself to a really high rooftop in one move. You can actually chain each of those moves into unique attacks. They're kind of like the finishing abilities from Birth by Sleep where they're really powerful attacks, so if you're surrounded by a bunch of enemies and backed into a corner, just one jump off the ledge will trigger a very, very strong, powerful attack into the crowd of enemies; that's one new feature.

The Dream Eaters actually help too. They have a gauge under their HP bar called the "Link Gauge". When that's filled, Sora and Riku can both team up with each of those Dream Eaters and perform really powerful attacks, but they do it differently. Sora teams up with the Dream Eater, so he'll hop on their back and stomp on the enemies or a big bear-type Spirit will fling Sora around and just hit all the enemies and just throw him at the enemies. Riku does it differently; he actually absorbs their powers for a short duration of time. He actually represents something similar to the Command Styles from Birth by Sleep where he could get a really long Keyblade energy-blade for a little while, or he can grow these power claws on his feet and arms and just do like a more feral-animal type of attack. They have different ways of fighting and it really changes up the dynamic switching between Sora and Riku.

[Neku shows Sora his timer.]

Neku: All the participants have this engraved on them. I can't afford to lose this game!
Sora: I don't really understand 'the Game'...
Mitsuno: This game actually features Disney worlds that have never been used in Kingdom Hearts. You'll be visiting The Grid from the recent movie Tron Legacy; you'll be visiting the Hunchback of Notre Dame's world; you'll be visiting Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers' movie; you'll be visiting Fantasia; all of the Disney worlds that are in this game are brand new to the series.

[Riku gameplay in The Grid from April 21st European Nintendo Conference]

Mitsuno: This is the shortest duration, or a gap, between the Japanese release and the North American release for a Kingdom Hearts game. For example, Birth by Sleep had almost 8 months separation. With such a short term, they didn't really add too many new features in. They made some under-the-hood changes; some minor changes that are not really so overt to the person just playing it. But there are some differences to the preorder incentives we've released: AR cards that actually unlock some of the rare Dream Eaters. For North America, even if you don't have the AR cards, you can actually get those Dream Eaters in the game. They do take more effort; they are difficult to obtain, whereas in Japan, the Dream Eaters are exclusive to those cards, so if you didn't have them, you couldn't get them in the game.

[Riku Dual Link footage from TGS 2011 trailer]

[Xehanort's flashback from TGS 2011 trailer]

Mitsuno: Like Kingdom Hearts I and II had cameos from the Final Fantasy series, this one just wanted to change it up a bit. Traverse Town ―one of the first worlds you go into― right off the bat, Sora will meet Neku, Riku will meet Joshua; it's cool because their stories kind of intertwine. Neku's looking for his partner in the Game, he asks Sora if he's a Player, he's not a Player, so it's cool that for fans who've played The World Ends With You, it just really brings a smile to their faces when they first see those characters. This is a brand that kind of has a way of bringing in other properties and making it feel seamless, and that's one of the examples that we've done for this title.

[Sora gameplay in La Cite des Cloches from April 21st European Nintendo Conference]

Mitsuno: There's a very, very fast-paced battle; it's kind of a minigame, it's called "Flick Rush". You basically put your three Dream Eaters against your friend's three Dream Eaters. It's a really quick decision-based battle. Your objective is to just defeat all of theirs before your friend defeats you.

[Sora Co-op Technique with Necho Cat in Country of the Musketeers from April 21st European Nintendo Conference]

Mitsuno: Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance] will be out July 31st exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Oh man, I thought it was english scenes when I read that transcript. Oh well~ 8D

UltimaJackpot

Mitsuno: This is the shortest duration, or a gap, between the Japanese release and the North American release for a Kingdom Hearts game.
Er... pretty sure that honor goes to the GBA release of Chain of Memories.

They made some under-the-hood changes; some minor changes that are not really so overt to the person just playing it.
I hope that means they'll fix the abysmal frame rate from the JP release.

They do take more effort; they are difficult to obtain, whereas in Japan, the Dream Eaters are exclusive to those cards, so if you didn't have them, you couldn't get them in the game.
Meowjesty, Sudo Neku and Ursa Circus were most definitely obtainable in the Japanese release without AR cards. (Kab Kannon, Frootz Cat and R&R Seal were definitely AR exclusive, though) So I'm not sure if the guy is getting his wires crossed, or if they've added a way to get Kab Kannon, Frootz Cat and R&R Seal without AR cards in the US/PAL versions. That'd be nice, although the fact that you could just scan a picture of the card online makes it a non-issue.

darkness9406

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back