• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KH4 Development Timeline

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

the red monster

Awards
If nomura is still obsessed with 7 and 13, i can see him releasing it at july 13 2024. (if it will be ready by then, of course)
20 = 20 anniversary
4 = KH4
july - 7
just random thought lol

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
However long the development timeline takes I do hope during that period they are able to restock PS5's in time for it. My biggest concern for KH4 currently is that it might be PS5 exclusive.
That's why I'm fine with 2024. I don't even want to buy a PS5 until I have to IE when KH IV gets released. Hopefully the price drops by then and it's in stock.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
That's why I'm fine with 2024. I don't even want to buy a PS5 until I have to IE when KH IV gets released. Hopefully the price drops by then and it's in stock.
Personally I was hoping by the time KH4 came out there would be a PS5 "pro" and "slim" you know for prices and all. But there has barely been any normal PS5's as is.

the red monster

Awards
I wouldn't bet on a price drop. but maybe a revision like PS4 slim.
i heard the stock situation should resolved by the end of the year/early next year.
they gonna need them with god of war and spider-man 2 coming soon.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Personally I was hoping by the time KH4 came out there would be a PS5 "pro" and "slim" you know for prices and all. But there has barely been any normal PS5's as is.
Are there any plans to do a BLACK one that is smaller and can rest sideways?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It won’t make the console smaller but there are black face plates that can be put onto the PS5 to replace the white plates.

The PS5 can also rest sideways.

Also July 13th 2024 is a Saturday so KH4 wouldn’t be out on that day :(

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Good question, I wouldn't know. But looks like Chaser has the answer.

I wouldn't bet on a price drop. but maybe a revision like PS4 slim.
i heard the stock situation should resolved by the end of the year/early next year.
they gonna need them with god of war and spider-man 2 coming soon.
Let's hope so. But you know when they restock that first wave will be gone within hours of the restock.

FATE

Awards
All in all I have to say I'm not particularly concerned with KH4's development. Most of Square's colossal fuckups and handicaps in their management have died down considerably around 2017-2018. They now have their house in order, so to speak, thanks in no small part to Naoki Yoshida's influence.
Another thing to consider is that in this gen, Sony, Microsoft and Epic are pulling ALL the stops to making game development faster, easier and more efficient. Nintendo can suck a dick, though.

If anything at all poses to be a hindrance to KH4's development, then it would probably be either Disney making bullshit restrictions (something they do far more harshly with their more recent works) or the FF7 Remake taking up Nomura's time.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
All in all I have to say I'm not particularly concerned with KH4's development. Most of Square's colossal fuckups and handicaps in their management have died down considerably around 2017-2018. They now have their house in order, so to speak, thanks in no small part to Naoki Yoshida's influence.
Another thing to consider is that in this gen, Sony, Microsoft and Epic are pulling ALL the stops to making game development faster, easier and more efficient. Nintendo can suck a dick, though.

If anything at all poses to be a hindrance to KH4's development, then it would probably be either Disney making bullshit restrictions (something they do far more harshly with their more recent works) or the FF7 Remake taking up Nomura's time.
I wonder if Nomura's move to live action films is his way to get around the restrictions this time around? Are they as concerned what Jack Sparrow did over Elsa?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Another thing to consider is that in this gen, Sony, Microsoft and Epic are pulling ALL the stops to making game development faster, easier and more efficient.

This is a great point. I think people get caught up in their impatience and often forget the publishers don’t want games to have long development cycles either. Think of how much they save in operating expenses just by shaving one year off development time. This is why we unfortunately get hostile work conditions often in video game companies. If it’s between the two, I’d rather wait a bit longer and make sure the developers are able to enjoy a work-life balance and be compensated fairly for their work while also having enough time to realize their artistic vision.

But thanks to these technological advances and increased cooperation among gaming companies, we can start to get games faster and without sacrificing employee well-being. I’m honestly really excited for this next generation of gaming for that reason.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I saw this in another thread and it helped set my mind at ease even more.

It’s clear by this that Unreal Engine 5 is going to shave off a lot of development time. If I remember correctly, the dynamic lighting was one thing that took a while for the team to get right in KH3 since prior games all used static lighting. The Lumen system should be a total game changer there.

I bet one reason they didn’t show Endor in full is because they have the opportunity to be one of the first studios to show off Star Wars content running on UE5 once they convert everything over. That would be an epic reveal for D23.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Re: getting remote development up. For a frame of reference guys; I know not everyone plays FFXIV, but the director/producer Naoki Yoshida (from here on out known as Yoshi since I have trouble spelling his name) had to delay Endwalker about 3-4 months due to having to get remote work set up for FFXIV because of covid. I can imagine since my brother works in tech that it was a very big, fat headache; Yes they had it set up in other regions but imagine if you will having to do it with software that might not be in your native language. (UGH! I can imagine the cussing and cursing.)

Bear in mind, Yoshi is a workaholic and drives his team hard; I don't know how Nomura is but I think late this year/early next year, esp if they got delayed by the Covid bugaboo/having to set up a remote-in system, is not unreasonable. Especially considering they prolly started it right after KH3.

Last edited:

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm going to be selfish, but I hope it comes out during summer or winter break. As a teacher I will have some extra time to fully immerse myself.

NoWay

Awards
I’d like to point out that maybe KH wasn’t that affected by Covid. I mean the first year of developing a KH game consists usually of a planning phase and the selection of the Disney worlds, which is in itself a very complex process.
I’d assume that these parts are much easier to do remotely (via online conferences) than actually developing the game. If we’re lucky, the whole developing phase started mid 2020 after the company had already switched to working in home offices.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Awards
What does it mean when the game is running in real time exactly? I reading it as showing gameplay live and I'm confused. o_O

the red monster

Awards
What does it mean when the game is running in real time exactly? I reading it as showing gameplay live and I'm confused. o_O
it means it's running in engine and not CGI or pre-rendered.
games usually gets revealed with CGI trailer because they're not ready to show how the game actually looks like, because it's in a rough state.
if they were ready to show KH4 in engine, it means it's further along then people assume.
in engine means it's playing from an hardware and not just a video.

Back