• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► KHI Book Club - What are you currently reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Re: KHI Book club - What are you currently reading?

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Rest in peace.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

f**k it therapy: a profane way to profound happiness, by John C. Parkin

Beyond Religion: Ethics For A Whole World, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

The Social Psychology of Good and Evil, edited by Arthur G. Miller

Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler

For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway

For any fantasy gobblers like myself, I would recommend The Wheel of Time Series, by Robert Jordan, though the entire thing in itself is a long and lengthy read - fourteen books.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Okay, that's where I'll start!

The tense is definitely frustrating and is why I had the most difficult time getting into the series.

Rue reminds Katniss of Prim, so she has an easy time trusting her and wanting to help her. Whereas, with Peeta, she has reason to suspect whether she can trust him or not.

The frosting cakes thing was just his gateway into being talented with paintings, etc. They're all trained before the games as well, so his natural talent easily helped assist him with it.

The last book doesn't suck. People hate it because it's a huge change from The Hunger Games and Catching Fire in pacing and direction but the changes are necessary for what Suzanne Collins wanted to portray, which is the affects of war.

I finished the book yesterday and then watched the movie after.
The cake thing still kinda bothers me but I think now it's just the "oh, okay" response from the others and what you're supposed to give.

Otherwise another issue is for like 4 chapters and I'm sure I'm exaggerating, it's just Peeta and Katniss kissing and eating. @n@ after so much action the slow pace kind of turned me off? I don't know.

Anyways, I did like it, not crazy about it, but I'll still read Catching Fire soon. Debating on what to read next.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Have you read The Song of Ice and Fire series (aka The Game of Thrones books lol.) Lots of people have said they're very good especially if you enjoy the show. Some people go so far as to call Martin, the author, the modern Tolkien.
He definitely is. I've been reading the first one for about 8 months now, and haven't read the others yet.

also reading the Daily Show's EARTH.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

f**k it therapy: a profane way to profound happiness, by John C. Parkin

Beyond Religion: Ethics For A Whole World, by His Holiness the Dalai Lama

The Social Psychology of Good and Evil, edited by Arthur G. Miller

Mein Kampf, by Adolf Hitler

For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemingway

For any fantasy gobblers like myself, I would recommend The Wheel of Time Series, by Robert Jordan, though the entire thing in itself is a long and lengthy read - fourteen books.

Mein kampf? Are you seriously recommending this?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Mein kampf? Are you seriously recommending this?

Hitler was extremely intelligent despite how insane he was and how sick his actions were during WWII. The Mein Kampf has some very interesting concepts (and is a good look into his mind) in it and it'd be pure ignorance not to read it just because of who Hitler was.

You don't have to agree with anything in the book, but it's something you're supposed to read and learn from. You don't read it to absorb and practice.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

Hitler was extremely intelligent despite how insane he was and how sick his actions were during WWII. The Mein Kampf has some very interesting concepts (and is a good look into his mind) in it and it'd be pure ignorance not to read it just because of who Hitler was.

You don't have to agree with anything in the book, but it's something you're supposed to read and learn from. You don't read it to absorb and practice.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense, didnt mean to get the wrong impressions

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

Hitler wasn't that intelligent. He was just smart enough to keep himself in useful company. He was very ineffective in a lot of regards, made a lot of stupid mistakes based on his pride and ego, and arguably his entire career succeeded based on a combination of luck and persistence. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Hitler wasn't that intelligent. He was just smart enough to keep himself in useful company. He was very ineffective in a lot of regards, made a lot of stupid mistakes based on his pride and ego, and arguably his entire career succeeded based on a combination of luck and persistence. Just my $0.02.

Oh I don't disagree with anything you said about his mistakes, but you don't go from being an ambition-less artist to a dictator known for leading one of the worst mass genocide events and worse war in human history on just luck and effort. It takes cunning, knowing how people think and react, and an above-average intelligence.

Trag

Bronze Member

No not really lol, the world is retarded, as are most people. Cleverness =/= intelligence. I've read Mein Kamf, it's okay. There's nothing all that intelligent about Hitler, he's just a really manipulative dude.

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
No not really lol, the world is retarded, as are most people. Cleverness =/= intelligence. I've read Mein Kamf, it's okay. There's nothing all that intelligent about Hitler, he's just a really manipulative dude.

my man

seriously again a lot of it was his knack for company

goebbels knew more about people and propaganda in my opinion and a lot of his private generals knew more about war; i'd argue a lot of his confidantes merely used hitler as a puppet. ANYWAY, back to topic.

who the frick decides it's a good idea to invade russia in the winter

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

The purpose behind reading Mein Kampf is to understand what good ol' Adolph felt - as well as to better comprehend what led to Hitler's rise in the 30s, WWII, and the Holocaust, from Hitler's perspective. I would recommend it for reading solely for that singular purpose, because otherwise it will be doomed to reoccur.

But in all honesty Mein Kampf itself is really an angsty teenager's diary and their attempt at reasoning through their own morals, etc.

EDIT: and swooshbarnes, I would advise you to keep an open mind when it comes to reading. Otherwise, you will only self-shut doors to opportunities in learning. Just because a book has a stigma and history associated with it does not mean we cannot read, understand, and come to learn from it.

Last edited:

Solar

nothing ever ends
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

The purpose behind reading Mein Kampf is to understand what good ol' Adolph felt - as well as to better comprehend what led to Hitler's rise in the 30s, WWII, and the Holocaust, from Hitler's perspective. I would recommend it for reading solely for that singular purpose, because otherwise it will be doomed to reoccur.

But in all honesty Mein Kampf itself is really an angsty teenager's diary and their attempt at reasoning through their own morals, etc.

Yeah, that's what I felt when reading it too/my intention behind it. If you want really wacky stuff, read Mao Zedong's poetry. It's almost eerie reading it because it feels so artificial.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

Speaking of Mao, there was this one book I read called The Mao Case by Qiu Xiaolong. Not a fan of poetry and felt the number of poetry references for the case was a bit overdone even though it serves its purpose perfectly well. The ending did get me a bit depressed though, and that rarely happens. Overall, it was a nice read.

Not sure how many people here are a fan of classic books, but Don Quixote is a really fun and fluid read; one of my favorites.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

While I wait for B&N to send my books (The Alchemist, Sailor Moon, and Nana oh my god why does their free shipping have to take so long...), I'm re-reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I previously read it as a fan translation but I remember it flowing a bit better than this... Or maybe I had lower standards for reading when I was in sophomore year?

I'm unsure. But for some reason I'm a lot more bored with it than I remember...

Last edited:

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards

Anybody out their that likes the Hunger Games, I would recommend the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. The cover interested me in the book store one day and I was like what the hell and bought the first book. It's really engaging and I actually like it better than the Hunger Games. Great read.

I should warn you though that the book's kinda slow. It really relies on character development and world building, but I truly thought that was the best thing about the book because Roth does it so well. And if you can stick it to the end, the second book, Insurgent, is even better than the first book. I finished both books in two months and I can't wait for the third one when it comes out in October.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards

Anybody out their that likes the Hunger Games, I would recommend the Divergent series by Veronica Roth. The cover interested me in the book store one day and I was like what the hell and bought the first book. It's really engaging and I actually like it better than the Hunger Games. Great read.

I should warn you though that the book's kinda slow. It really relies on character development and world building, but I truly thought that was the best thing about the book because Roth does it so well. And if you can stick it to the end, the second book, Insurgent, is even better than the first book. I finished both books in two months and I can't wait for the third one when it comes out in October.

Character development and world-building in books is nothing new to me. I've read my fair share of books that rely on that way of doing things. If the story itself isn't bad, the book/series won't suffer. I think it just depends on the style of writing the author uses and how he/she/they pace it.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Thinking of getting the Battle Royale novel soon, I did want to check it out and I'm told that the novel is the best adaption of it so... Should I?

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya novel again. Haven't read it since high school but I still really enjoyed it, though I noticed more flaws this time, but I personally blame the translation, it became kind of awkward, the word flow was wonky and they misused the word "peruse" twice. [Which is odd, considering I just... mentioned that here... JDatE moment...]
Regardless, still enjoyed it. The anime still did a fantastic job covering it, practically covered it word for word. I also have the next two books to read on my shelf waiting, as well. I may get to them soon enough.

Continuing the discussion about world-building books, I think that's what turns me off about fantasy novels, like ones that strive to be like the LotR series and whatnot. I care more about the characters, people and how they react to the ones around them, I don't know, it's incredibly hard to explain. ._."

I believe I will be getting more manga and The Alchemist and Battle Royale tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll like both. I'm also trying the Toradora manga since I've been wanting to check it out for a loooong time. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Back