• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► KHI Book Club - What are you currently reading?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Seasaltrio

Awards
I'm reading Treasure Island again after having finally finished watching Black Sails
I read Treasure Island a long time ago, and I remember I thought it was great. It was a while back, so I can't remember a lot of the details.😂 I'll have to reread that one.

Right now, I'm reading Up From Slavery by Booker T. Washington. It's a really awesome autobiography that is filled with wise advice he learned from experiences in his life. A lot of the stuff he says gets you thinking. I think Booker T. Washington is probably one of my favorite people in history when it comes to being a self-starter. I think he also gets kinda overlooked, so whoever hasn't read this, this is my recommendation to you.

Awards
I've been exploring alot of things at the library
I usually just go to the local library and look in the fantasy and manga sections
i actually found some nice books
one of them being a series called "the 7 sleepers"
another was a book called "seraphina"

Awards
Also...
completely off topic,but its worth asking.
WHY IS EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM SOMEONE IMPORTANT
AND IM JUST A TINY MIDGET COMPARED TO EVERYONE ELSE!?

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
After watching several video reviews and discussions online about more modern fantasy, I decided to dive into the world of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere.

I didn't start like most people do with Mistborn though. In a weird way, I have a fascination with going head first into the biggest books I can get ahold of, so my first Sanderson novel ended up being the Stormlight Archive book 1: The Way of Kings. And I was hooked immediately into his writing style, the deeply flawed characters that go through so much but still come.out as good, the very strange land of Roshar with its highstorms, Shardblades, Cremlings and Knights Radiant. It's a very fantastical world, which is exactly what I've been craving for a long time in fantasy.

I personally wasn't able to get into A Song of Ice and Fire in the same way. I enjoyed the TV show well enough, and the books are written really well, but the way the last few seasons were handled left a sour taste in my mouth, and the long wait for the final two books has kinda put me off wanting to reading the rest of them (I made it to halfway through A Storm of Swords). I appreciate the darker fantasy and historical angle that series takes, but I also feel like Martin focuses too much on details that... don't actually matter. I don't need to know the details of the incestual romance between the Lannisters. And the more fantasy elements being pushed aside for the sake of "grittiness" is actually a turn off for me.

The Stormlight Archive, in contrast, finds a better balance for me. It's dark, especially in the epic battles where characters are quite capable of getting killed off, the political backstabbings and betrayals are there without it taking away from the fantastical aspect of the world. The landscape itself, the creatures and beings who inhabit Roshar, down to the strange way weather, seasons, and even currency works are all alien, weird, and intriguing. Sex is something that is acknowledged, and obviously happens in this world, but handled in a "fade to black" way I find far more tasteful personally. Not everything needs to be shown in graphic detail!

The focus is definitely on characters, and their innate human flaws that they must learn to overcome. Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, and Adolin are so nicely developed, and I'm rooting for them to pull through to the end.

I'm currently starting book four, Rhythm of War, and I have the Mistborn Trilogy on my shelf for when I am finished with it. I have most definitely added a new author to my list of favorites.

Dalinar Kholin said:
The most important words a man can say are, "I will do better." These are not the most important words any man can say. I am a man, and they are what I needed to say.

The ancient code of the Knights Radiant says "journey before destination." Some may call it a simple platitude, but it is far more. A journey will have pain and failure. It is not only the steps forward that we must accept. It is the stumbles. The trials. The knowledge that we will fail. That we will hurt those around us.

But if we stop, if we accept the person we are when we fall, the journey ends. That failure becomes our destination.

To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule. It's set in the High Republic and its what I've been missing from Star Wars.

Heat 2 by Michael Mann and Meg Gardiner. A sequel to the 1995 crime classic "Heat".

Star Wars: A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller. A prequel for Star Wars Rebels where Kanan and Hera meet 5 years before the start of that show.

I Dark Disciple by Christie Golden. Quinlan Vos is pretty cool and should get his own Disney+ show. It's surprisingly passionate for a Star Wars story.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
I have a line up of books right now. I took a little break from reading, but now I'm back in.

The Last God (a comic book), Kings of the Wyld, Mistborn, A Wise Man's Fear, then House of the Dragon.

Kimmy1980

Awards
My 8 year old just finished up Percy Jackson book 1 and absolutely loved it. Never read them when they came out back in the 2000's, so I commandeered my daughter's book. I'm in my 40's and love it. Can't wait for her to check out book 2. I have a stack of books to get through (most of them on the banned list and books to at least try). Previously I finished the Satanic Verses, and Catch-22 is next.

D

Deleted member 246005

"The Knight, the fool and the dead" by Steve Cole. It's a Doctor Who tie in novel set during the Time Lord Victorious event. That event is set after the Water of Mars episode from 2009. The 10th Doctor journeys to a planet called Aldhani. The inhabitants are approached by the Kotthuri, a group of aliens that have found a way to stop death through a device called the Lifeshroud. The Doctor is suspicious of their claim and investigates.

He teams up with Brian a mysterious alien assassin who wants the device for his employer, Chaskal a crooked politician who hires Brian, Fallomax an amoral scientist who had a previous encounter with the Kotthuri and Estine a young girl of interest to the Kotthuri.

It's a great read and feels like a lost Doctor Who episode.

"All Flesh is Grass" by Una McCormick.

I just want Davies to patch things up with Eccleston and adapt "All Flesh is grass" as a miniseries for Disney+. It's a great multi- Doctpr story between 8, 9 and 10. It also follows up on the events of "The knight, the fool and the dead" and acts as a bridge from the Waters of Mars to the End of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'm reading King's Game right now. I just found out it actually got a complete translation, and while apparently the ending seems pretty universally hated, it opens so strong that I can't help but want to keep reading to find out what happens.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’m reading “Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Sophie Gonzales. It was my most hyped YA romance book of the year and has ultimately been a disappointment. This book should have likely been written as a New Adult or Romance novel rather than YA. The characters are way too young for the plot to make sense. Had they been aged up a few years, I think things would be more believable. See, they are a bunch of 18-20 year olds on a Bachelor-style reality show. They had previously dated the “bachelor” and now have a chance at rekindling romance with him. The thing is that they like all mostly dated him when they were 14-17, so I’m confused. The way they talk, it feels like they should have all been relationships formed in college.

Also the book doesn’t utilize time properly. Where I am at in the book so far, 5 weeks have passed but 5 days might as well have passed with how little growth happens for these characters.

The actual romance of the book is horribly unbelievable. I don’t see the attraction between the leads. One minute they are chatting, the next they are making out. I also feel like there have been too many missed opportunities for building them up due to the plot focusing on them getting revenge on the bachelor guy they dated.

Last edited:

Max

Staff member
Awards
I’m reading “Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Sophie Gonzales. It was my most hyped YA romance book of the year and has ultimately been a disappointment. This book should have likely been written as a New Adult or Romance novel rather than YA. The characters are way too young for the plot to make sense. Had they been aged up a few years, I think things would be more believable. See, they are a bunch of 18-20 year olds on a Bachelor-style reality show. They had previously dated the “bachelor” and now have a chance at rekindling romance with him. The thing is that they like all mostly dated him when they were 14-17, so I’m confused. The way they talk, it feels like they should have all been relationships formed in college.

Also the book doesn’t utilize time properly. Where I am at in the book so far, 5 weeks have passed but 5 days might as well have passed with how little growth happens for these characters.

The actual romance of the book is horribly unbelievable. I don’t see the attraction between the leads. One minute they are chatting, the next they are making out. I also feel like there have been too many missed opportunities for building them up due to the plot focusing on them getting revenge on the bachelor guy they dated.
That does sound like there's a lot of super awkward aspects of the setting that could have been fixed simply by shifting the time frame around. The premise just doesn't sound like a premise that would or should carry any weight for a bunch of fresh out of high school teenagers. I agree with you that if they were all adults, it sounds like it would work a lot better.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That does sound like there's a lot of super awkward aspects of the setting that could have been fixed simply by shifting the time frame around. The premise just doesn't sound like a premise that would or should carry any weight for a bunch of fresh out of high school teenagers. I agree with you that if they were all adults, it sounds like it would work a lot better.
Yeah. Honestly, I feel like perhaps the writer had college in mind then was either made to shift it to YA or didn’t want to lose out on YA audiences by making it New Adult.

Also, I dislike cliches but I think this story really needed to have a few of them for the romantic build up between the two romantic leads. The setting of a bachelor-style show should have allowed for more twists on the genre by applying this to the two women. I think an attempt was made at doing so, but…yeah. Pretty weak. Doesn’t help that the characters are also very bland. There isn’t much that differentiates their voices.

Max

Staff member
Awards
Yeah. Honestly, I feel like perhaps the writer had college in mind then was either made to shift it to YA or didn’t want to lose out on YA audiences by making it New Adult.

Also, I dislike cliches but I think this story really needed to have a few of them for the romantic build up between the two romantic leads. The setting of a bachelor-style show should have allowed for more twists on the genre by applying this to the two women. I think an attempt was made at doing so, but…yeah. Pretty weak. Doesn’t help that the characters are also very bland. There isn’t much that differentiates their voices.
Sad to see a missed opportunity book like that, when you can see there was a good idea in there and a good story to be told but then they fall flat on the delivery. I can understand the author or even the publisher deciding they wanted to target a certain/different demographic by gearing it towards YA, but I think sometimes people don't see that you simply can't force that on every story.

D

Deleted member 246005

"Bungo Stray Dogs" was a good read. It's ripe up my alley of Urban Fantasy. It would be cool if the writer and artist can work on the next DMC game. They handled the supernatural detective angle pretty well.

It's written by Kafka asagiri and drawn by Sango Harukawa. It focuses on Atsuhi Nakajima, a young man living on the streets. He is taken in by a detective agency after discovering he is a weretiger.

The first volume focuses on him adjusting to his new life, meeting his coworkers and learning the ropes. It also sets him against the local mafia who want to capture him because capturing a weretiger and selling it seems like a good business plan.

It's marketed as a seinen but more like a shonen so far.

"Starman" is written by James Robinson and drawn by Tony Harris. It was published by DC comics in the 1990s. I read the first two volumes "Sins of the Father" and "Night and Day".

Starman focuses on Jack Knight, a finder and trader of collectibles living in Opal City. His father Ted was a scientist turned superhero named Starman. Jack is forced to take up the mantle after his brother David was killed by one of his father's old enemies.

Both volumes deal with Jack learning the ropes of being a superhero and resolving his complicated feelings towards his family.

D

Deleted member 282472

"The Ballad of Black tom" by Victor lavalle.

It focuses on a hustler named Tom Tester as he gets involved with a Cult in Jazz age Harlem.

It's a decent read with a stronger beginning than end although it did grow on me.

Back