• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHI makes a KH game! Discussion #4: World and Level Design

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

destinykh

The Troll
Awards
Sinking into the light with a heart of pure darkne
Hey guys! Shamdeo has been really really busy these past few weeks hence the delay of new discussion threads, but I've decided to get the ball rolling again (we all need something to distract us from the semi-news drought).

This week's theme is

Story, Narrative, and Themes Design
Characters and Character Design

Art Direction and Interface Design
World and Level Design
Gameplay and Battle System Design
Character Growth Development and Encounter Design
Tertiary Gameplay Design (Mini-Games)
Analyzing the Total Experience

List of Original Worlds (and their basic plot)

(to be updated)

List of Disney Worlds (and their basic plot)

(to be updated)

Points to Think About:

+ On what basis would the Disney worlds be selected? Purely for the purpose of being 'fun' and being fan favorites? Purely plot oriented? Or would they be character oriented? Would they expand on the themes of the major plot?

+ Original scenarios? Or scenarios heavily influenced by the source material?

+ Would there be major crossovers between the Disney worlds? Or will each world be kept as singular, separate scenarios?

+ Kingdom Hearts II changed the formula a bit by making players visit each world twice to progress through the main storyline, with each visit lasting for quite a short amount of time. A good formula? Or do we want to visit each world only once, with the visit lasting a lot longer?

+ Final Fantasy characters. Keep them in the original worlds or have them actually be actual residents of Disney worlds?

+Boss battles.

Level Design

+ Platform heavy ala Kingdom Hearts I? Linear, expansive worlds ala Kingdom Hearts II? A mixture of both?

+ Almost every game has a hub world and a final dungeon. How would you design your original worlds to make sure they stand out and be unique while still maintaining a notable Disney presence ( Traverse Town, KH1 Hollow Bastion, End of the World)? Or do we steer away from Disney when it comes to the original worlds (Twilight Town, World that Never Was)?

+ Post maps of each world if you feel the need to!

Remember to always bounce ideas back and forth between the various discussion threads, because obviously world selection will affect the story and to a lesser extent, the characters.

You guys have so many fantastic ideas, so feel free to keep posting written descriptions, (and especially for Level Design) sketches, music and videos. I'll be taking note and systematically compiling all the contributions so we don't lose them amongst all the thread pages. Once you guys decide on what worlds you want along with their basic plot and characters included, I'll update the OP.

An example of an innovative way to contribute: Fanmade field and battle track for Notre Dame

[video=youtube;vDIStA5VWe4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIStA5VWe4[/video]

Last edited:

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Nice, and I'm happy that you're gonna update the first page with all the work that's already done 'cause the past threads were kinda messy at the end. Oh man I love the music you posted, I hope to see things like that in this thread. Anyways, let's make somethin' beautiful guys, let's roll!

This post will contain a summary of this thread. Basically, I'm gonna put all the Plot Pyramids made so far in this post. If you have any suggestions to make this post an even better summary, feel free to make your suggestion! :)

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

destinykh

The Troll
Awards
Sinking into the light with a heart of pure darkne
^ Ya, if I have the time I'll update the OP of the other threads with all the ideas chosen by you guys, but I need someone who has been following the threads to give me a comprehensive list of what has been decided because I don't think I'll be able to go through each post one by one.

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
^ Ya, if I have the time I'll update the OP of the other threads with all the ideas chosen by you guys, but I need someone who has been following the threads to give me a comprehensive list of what has been decided because I don't think I'll be able to go through each post one by one.

Well, that's the problem, if I'm correct, aside from the story, nothing has really been decided yet. We should have an overview of all the things that are already posted to decide some stuff. Some characters are already chosen though if I'm correct, maybe you should, as you said, ask someone who's already working on the project from the beginning :)

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
if there's platforming it should be good platforming with decent level design aka nothing like kh1

micbeasty

well i just like to say iv drawn up outlooks for worlds and iv been doing it for around 2 years now and unfortunetly im nowwhere near my scanner since im at my dads :( but if you want friday i can post most all of them up for the game :)

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Once the list of worlds has been set in stone, I'd be glad to type up outlines and summaries of each world's plot. I already have a few ideas whirling around. . .

In the meantime, though, I'll just embed my two homespun compositions for Prydain--which can be safely confirmed as a world, considering the inclusion of the Horned King and the Black Cauldron itself. (I would recommend raising your volume. If you can't hear a snare drum in the second, your volume isn't high enough.)

micbeasty

Once the list of worlds has been set in stone, I'd be glad to type up outlines and summaries of each world's plot. I already have a few ideas whirling around. . .

In the meantime, though, I'll just embed my two homespun compositions for Prydain--which can be safely confirmed as a world, considering the inclusion of the Horned King and the Black Cauldron itself. (I would recommend raising your volume.)

ir really truley enjoyed your first one, and i guess you choose the world name to be Pyridian Overworld? which i actually like :) the first one sounds amazing and i could visualize myself there in the world but on the second one for the battle theme could you possibily make it a little more faster and darker, sorry it just wasnt to fearce for the battle but i still really like it good job! :)

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
^ Yeah I agree, the first one was reaally good but the second one was just ok. I miss a energetic beat y'know. A battle theme should have a lot of energy + it should be darker too since it is a pretty sinister world. But good job nonetheless!

riku's_artist7

Bronze Member
Awards
yay! we finally got this thread up :)
what were the worlds we were planning on putting in the game again i forgot, @ the people that were working on the #2 thread

as far as i know, we have
Atlantis (the lost city one not the little mermaid)
maybe halloween town again?
ehh idr
not sure about hunchback tho, arent they having that in DDD?

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
ir really truley enjoyed your first one, and i guess you choose the world name to be Pyridian Overworld? which i actually like :)

It's actually just a generic title for the song, haha.
The music that plays during idle parts of games is usually known as an "overworld theme".
micbeasty said:
the first one sounds amazing and i could visualize myself there in the world but on the second one for the battle theme could you possibily make it a little more faster and darker, sorry it just wasnt to fearce for the battle
I miss a energetic beat y'know. A battle theme should have a lot of energy + it should be darker too since it is a pretty sinister world.
With the two videos I think the second is better, buts it's not fitting for battle music.

There's a reason for this recurring critique--several, actually.
Firstly, the percussion of the piece fades into the background unless you substantially raise your volume. I have a snare drum providing a beat of 170 bpm (which is 20 more beats-per-minute than this). You're probably not hearing it, because several others couldn't hear it when this was first posted in Traditional Media.

Plus, I wanted to loosely follow the Enchanted Dominion's themes: The overworld theme is dim and depressing, but the battle theme is a little more upbeat, reminding us that there is still whimsy in this world. Prydain isn't solely the home of undead monsters; it's also home to a naive young pig-herder and a silly dog/man/bear/thing named Gurgee.

micbeasty

Well like I was saying I have drawing for lots if wanted worlds like the black cauldron(Forbidden kingdom), Atlantis(Lost Empire), Toy Story(Land of Imagination), Fox and the Hound(Ole Country Meadows), Jungle Book(Ferocious Jungle), Pinnochio(Pleasure Island), The Rescuers( Devil's Bayou), Robin Hood(Nottingham Forest), Dumbo( Wonderous Circus), Pochahontas(Tribal Woodlands), Oliver and Co.(Trafficked City), Lelo and Stitch( Volcanic Islands), Princess and The Frog( Fairy-Tale Bayou), Treasure Island( Treasure Island), Bugs Life( Ant Island), Emperors new Groove( Kingdom of The Sun), lol and many more I can't think of at the moment:p

DarkRiku-12

Radiant Garden needs to make an appearance. It's the classic KH world.

Um, I doubt it. This is kind of our own thing and even though this is taking place probably 1000 to 2000 years after KH, we're trying to keep this our own thing as much as possible. What I'm trying to say is that we don't want to directly tie this in to KH very much. Mabye have a few continuity nods, but that's it.

Well like I was saying I have drawing for lots if wanted worlds like the black cauldron(Forbidden kingdom), Atlantis(Lost Empire), Toy Story(Land of Imagination), Fox and the Hound(Ole Country Meadows), Jungle Book(Ferocious Jungle), Pinnochio(Pleasure Island), The Rescuers( Devil's Bayou), Robin Hood(Nottingham Forest), Dumbo( Wonderous Circus), Pochahontas(Tribal Woodlands), Oliver and Co.(Trafficked City), Lelo and Stitch( Volcanic Islands), Princess and The Frog( Fairy-Tale Bayou), Treasure Island( Treasure Island), Bugs Life( Ant Island), Emperors new Groove( Kingdom of The Sun), lol and many more I can't think of at the moment:p

I agree with all of those. Except for Treasure Island. A lot of people like the idea of Treasure Planet, and we can't have them both as they are both too similar to eachother. btw, a Dumbo world would be really neat. Imagine accidently getting drunk w/ Dumbo and having to battle the Pink Elephants (that would be a TOTAL mind f**k)

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Radiant Garden needs to make an appearance. It's the classic KH world.

Na, Hollow Bastion (The castle version of the world) should instead. It was way more ominous and foreboding.

I think that the worlds should be chosen based on exploration value. The worlds should be pretty big as well, and I would like to see it integrate a style that is similar to (but improves off of) Kingdom Hearts 1. No more of this KH2-esque level design bull where you just go to the door and there's no sense of dimension at all. BBS was a bit of an improvement, but not quite as much as it should have been. Why get rid of things like being able to swim in water, Climb Ladders and Vines, slide down certain slanted railings, push objects, and grab onto ledges?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
+ On what basis would the Disney worlds be selected? Purely for the purpose of being 'fun' and being fan favorites? Purely plot oriented? Or would they be character oriented? Would they expand on the themes of the major plot?

Throw in any random movie without reasoning won't do the game any good.

+ Original scenarios? Or scenarios heavily influenced by the source material?
No more movie plots. They'll never be as good as the original films so why bother?

+ Would there be major crossovers between the Disney worlds? Or will each world be kept as singular, separate scenarios?
I would love to take the party members with me.

+ Kingdom Hearts II changed the formula a bit by making players visit each world twice to progress through the main storyline, with each visit lasting for quite a short amount of time. A good formula? Or do we want to visit each world only once, with the visit lasting a lot longer?
I say it very much depends on the story, but 1 visit for most worlds.

+ Final Fantasy characters. Keep them in the original worlds or have them actually be actual residents of Disney worlds?
Utterly random appearances would be amusing. Faris in Port Royal maybe?

Level Design

+ Platform heavy ala Kingdom Hearts I? Linear, expansive worlds ala Kingdom Hearts II? A mixture of both?
Mixure of both. Each world should have some unique gameplay characteristic (IE gravity changing in Deep Space or morale in Land of Dragons). KH1 was too cramped in many of it's areas.

Also, I think every world needs a town area: a place filled with NPCs & shops. Player should be buying new keychains instead of just being given them.

+ Almost every game has a hub world and a final dungeon. How would you design your original worlds to make sure they stand out and be unique while still maintaining a notable Disney presence ( Traverse Town, KH1 Hollow Bastion, End of the World)? Or do we steer away from Disney when it comes to the original worlds (Twilight Town, World that Never Was)?
Characters whose movies wouldn't make good worlds can appear in original ones.[/QUOTE]

micbeasty said:
Don't really agree with some of those names, Land of Imagination? The toys come to life because of kid's imagination? Even though it only happens when said kids aren't around to see it?

Toy Story=Andy's Neighborhood
Robin Hood=Sherwood Forest (that's what they called it)
Pocahontas=New World

cassidy1991

Awards
Website
cassidy-morgan.deviantart.com
[video=youtube;5Oih9maGtyk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oih9maGtyk&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]
There's still more to do with the colors. Refining the edges, improving light exposure, painting details... so I'll post an updated version when I get to it. But tell me what you think about the music. Does it fit the level?
*edit* if you couldn't watch the video, here's one of many unfinished concept pieces for Legacy City. It's the one included in the video.
legacycity.jpg

Last edited:

riku's_artist7

Bronze Member
Awards
Um, I doubt it. This is kind of our own thing and even though this is taking place probably 1000 to 2000 years after KH, we're trying to keep this our own thing as much as possible. What I'm trying to say is that we don't want to directly tie this in to KH very much. Mabye have a few continuity nods, but that's it.

Not exactly sure if this is official, it might not be that long in the future, but idt it'll be too farfetched to have RG in the game but id rather see other worlds we haven't seen before.

Senshi Xion

That looks so cool from what I can see, cassidy! Wish I was half as talented as you! ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back