• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHII Spells vs. KHI Spells

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Overall, I much prefer the spells and the spell system in I as opposed to II (Reflect/Barrier being the exception here). In the first game, I felt that the spells were better designed and implemented in battles such as the Fire having homing properties (which, admittedly, were not all that great to begin with, but its better than having no homing properties at all; and yes, I know that there is an ability to make a spell home in on an enemy, but that shouldn't be an ability that you have to use considering that there is a Lock-On feature).

On another front, I felt that the implementation of spells for certain parts of Kingdom Hearts I was a pretty interesting idea. I was kind of glad that they brought that back in Birth by Sleep in order to go through Pete's Rec Room in Disneytown.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I find the KH2 spells to be more fluid in the animation and the variety is nice, but I think KH1 spells had a certain...flare about them. As for the spells that I fancied myself, I always preferred using Kh2 thunder spell. When used in the Master Form, it was pretty much overkill, at least for me it was.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I find the KH2 spells to be more fluid in the animation and the variety is nice, but I think KH1 spells had a certain...flare about them. As for the spells that I fancied myself, I always preferred using Kh2 thunder spell. When used in the Master Form, it was pretty much overkill, at least for me it was.

I agree with you here. I find that I use spells in KH1 more often than in KH2. I do know that Thunder and Cure are the ones I use the most in KH2.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I agree with you here. I find that I use spells in KH1 more often than in KH2. I do know that Thunder and Cure are the ones I use the most in KH2.

I used the fuck out of Thundaga in KH2, especially when I was in Master/Final Form. though, I guess it was more in Master form cause I loved the aerial flips that sora would do. :)

MegaCore5

Awards
One of the major differences between KH 1 and KH 2 was that many of the same magics had different moves to them. I'm pretty sure the fireball attack was different because one of them shots straightforward and the other circled around Sora.

kmorris2609

I think the most improved spell from Kingdom Hearts I to Kingdom Hearts II was definitely thunder. It covered a wider range in the 2nd game and it seemed like it dealt more damage.

The spell I think was worse in II than I is fire. It went from one single shot that hit the closest target to a wimpy circle of flames that was not guaranteed to hit an enemy.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
I honestly felt that the magic in KH1 was better in KH2, but I rarely used any Magic in KH1 except for Cure and Gravity, or when you NEEDED to use it like when you battle Phantom and Ursala, and for overcoming platforming obstacles. In KH2, I mainly used Cure and Reflect. But I used more magic in the handheld titles because they were way overpowered; my favorite combo in BBS was Magnega and Tornado. Overall, though, I’m really not a magic user.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
Kind of to add to what I said originally, I feel that Magic, with the exception of Cure and Reflect, is only needed for grinding. If you know your combos, you can get away with just melee attacking alone. That being said, magic does make things a whole lot easier if you know how to utilize it in the way that you want to. haha

Some guy

To me personally, KH 2 easily has the worst battle system out of all entries in the series so far.

I'd say how fast such a gauge for physical attacks would deplete (and how many combos you can pull off with one filled gauge) would depend on length of the combo and the equipped finisher as well. Of course, if you implement such a feature you would also have to think about items to refill the gauge faster (or instantly) like i.e. energy drinks and possibly a new stat (stamina) which influences the overall length of the gauge as well as how much of the gauge is depleted for which attack. This would then of course also be affected by level ups and they could even implement side quests that earn the players awards in form of ability-upgrades which can be applied in order to make attacks consume less stamina (as the character becomes more proficient in performing certain attacks and his/her stamina increases, it should be easier to perform).
For me, the worst battle system in KH comes from KH1 and/or Days, but ... opinions, right?

I do like the stamina gauge idea; however, wouldn't you just end up dodging and running waiting for it to refill too?

Honestly I dont think the problem lies with the button mashing but the lack of any strategy and difficulty. CoM was the only purely strategic kh game because you had to think about everything you do and what deck you use and on proud this added some actual difficultly (especially when your trying to get the cards to break Repliku or Larxenes cards when their so fast)

This series is an action rpg so normal attacks and some slight button mashing is to be expected from it to begin with, the problem is that there are no penalties for button mashing behavior. (unlike CoM were mashing all your attack cards leaves you vulnerable)
While I do agree CoM has the best battle mechanics out of all the games, it's also the most "abusable" (with sleight spamming). With a minimum preparation, even the hardest bosses (like Repliku 4) last less than 1 minute just by spamming triangle from start to finish ...

I think it all just depends on how you want to play the game, and how you want your experience to be.

Now, to answer to the OP:
KHI fire< KHII fire : radial attack, more adaptability.
KHI Ice> KHII Ice : the wide radius makes up for the lack of piercing and the weak range.
KHI Thunder< KHII Thunder : I really didn't fancy KHI's "thunder storm", it seemed (and was) so overpowered compared to the other attack spells. KHII's however was just a single thunder strike (in normal form).
Aero> Reflect : Aero is a cheap lazy spell (for an action game). Reflect, while being cheap, has to be timed right; however, both spells are broken (especially Reflect).
Gravity= Magnet : Gravity is useless in KHI (except on low level runs). I didn't like Magnet much (because it's overpowered), but at least it allowed crowd control, it also didn't work on bosses (which is a plus).

Gram

Banned
Awards
While I do agree CoM has the best battle mechanics out of all the games, it's also the most "abusable" (with sleight spamming). With a minimum preparation, even the hardest bosses (like Repliku 4) last less than 1 minute just by spamming triangle from start to finish ...
This is true but that's only after you've experimented with what works. Like for instance, after so many go's at it, I make three decks that more or less let me breeze through anything but it took me a while to figure out what would work on every boss and what wouldn't.

You can literally break this game with lethal frame so long as you perfect your timing. Using Tornado you can clear rooms in minutes.

KH2 was broken from the get go cause because you had the spam X and Triangle from start to finish.
BBS can also be broken thanks to it's melding system. So long as you know what your doing, you can have most abilities and spells like Mega Flare by the 2nd or 3rd world.

You say minimum preparation but CoM takes time to get the sleights needed to break it either form level up or a specific world treasure room and even then you gotta make sure you have the CP to construct that many sleights in a deck.
It takes a while of gameplay to reach that "minimum" aspect.

Antar

Awards
So many people praising magic in KH1. It was completely opposite for me. The only magic I used in KH1 were Aero and Cure, not including those times I had to use something else to progress in the game (like fire on Merlin's door). I was actaully discouraged from using magic in KH1 because they seemed too sluggish and I would rather save mp for more cures. The magic in KH2, albeit sometimes unnecessary, I wound up using by slipping it in my combos while keeping the flow going. But in terms of usefulness, I would so both games were equal for me. In KH1 it was Aero and Cure, in KH2 it was Reflect and Cure.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I personally used KH1 magic pretty often, but mostly from Agrabah onwards. Gravity was a life-saver for Fat Bandits/Aquatanks/Wyverns/Defenders/Behemoths/Invisibles/all of the NeverLand Heartless, Fire/Blizzard was good to get rid of Heartless who were out-of-reach (Gargoyles, Search Ghosts, Air Soldiers, etc.), Thundara would quickly clean the field. And, of course, Cure and Aero. I almost never used Stop though. When Goofy gets MP Gift, I'm pretty much magic-only from then on, especially in the Coliseum matches.

KH2 discourages magic because most of the time you would use it for Cure, and then couldn't use magic for the rest of a battle because it had to re-load. I had to use Magnega in the harder Coliseum tournaments, but that's about it. Plus, the enemies were already so weak as it is, that it seemed like a waste of time to use magic when you could just kill them in 1-2 swipes.

Last edited:

Antar

Awards
KH2 discourages magic because most of the time you would use it for Cure, and then couldn't use magic for the rest of a battle because it had to re-load.

Oh yeah, since Cure used up the whole MP bar, I developed a little trick. I would first use other magic until I had only a little bit MP left, then I would just use cure. It worked from what I remember.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
Oh yeah, since Cure used up the whole MP bar, I developed a little trick. I would first use other magic until I had only a little bit MP left, then I would just use cure. It worked from what I remember.

Hmm there wasn't really a trick but there was an option where you can prevent yourself from spending your entire MP in the shortcut customizations. This is useful for all spells that isn't Cure.

Gram

Banned
Awards
The answer lies in this simple video...

[video=youtube;r6cx8SuTMa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cx8SuTMa8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Not mine, but worth sharing :D.

lol The haxness of stop truly knows few bounds. (one of the coolest glitches I've ever seen)

Heartless Sora

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Over all, I prefer the magic system in Kingdom Hearts I to that of Kingdom Hearts II. I really don't find the spells in KH2 that useful other than using Fire for the Demyx battle (and it can be OP in that battle). The spells were also encouraged more in KH1 making me want to experiment more than when I played KH2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back