• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KHinsider Unofficial Translations Request

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zetsumei

Awards
First of all let me take this chance to express my appreciation for the translations and uploads of the youtube videos on KHinsider's channel. Without these, we would have to wait many months to receive the most recent updates released in Japan. The youtube channel also serves as an excellent compilation of the most important story updates which can be referenced to easily review past story points for theorycrafting, or just refreshing yourself on what happened. This is especially important for those of us (many in the community I'm sure) who don't actually play Union cross and can't go to the actual game to review old quests. Having said all that, let me get to my request.

As someone who frequently reviews the footage on youtube and also plays Union Cross and keeps up with the global version as quests are released, I'm noticing that the official English localized translations can often give very different context than what the fans picked up on when writing the unofficial translations. I think for the sake of having an accurate reference source, there should be an effort to replace the unofficial translated scenes with the official scenes once they are released.

I'm not sure what the best way to go about this would be, so I thought I would open the dialogue here. The simple answer seems to be to just delete the unofficial translated videos and re-upload the video with the official translated scenes, although without any commentary or changes, that could fall into copyright infringement territory. It might also be worth keeping the unofficial translated videos just for comparison sake.

In any case, I think the KHinsider channel does a great service for the community by keeping these videos available, but imo there is definitely a problem with people quoting unofficial translations that may or may not end up being 100% accurate.

Here's just one small example of what I mean:

KHinsider translation:
K7uc3w8.png

Official translation:
YdlOcJ4.jpg

The change from "we" to "I" is a pretty big difference. In the unofficial scene, you would think that Darkness was part of a group or organization, while in the official scene, Darkness appears to be working alone.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I actually started resubbing the older scenes... and then had to put the project on hold because I have TOO MANY THINGS going on and not enough time in the world.

pls understand

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
I think deleting the unofficial translation would actually do the community a disservice as the official translation for KHUX is all over the place. The most obvious example would be the special attack bonus but there are other things too like the book of prophecy passage that is translated differently on different occasions (while staying the same in Japanese).
I think the only time the official translation may be more correct than Goldpanner's is for the character's names (Ephemer, Brain etc.) which may be shared by the Japanese team. I tried Glacie (not sure if she's still the community manager) to comment on these discrepancies but I never got an answer.

It's still possible that Darkness acts as part of a group, I doubt that the English translator got this much insight in the story.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I realize they have been trying to avoid religious references since they axed Player's goddess comment in relation to Skuld, but going with lifeboat over ark is absolutely horrid and I refuse to accept it.

Back