• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary Event held in Tokyo on April 10th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Quadratum_KHIIIRM.png

Lx3wa.jpg
NOMURA!!!!!!!!! This is why I love him lol.

I'm so excited for the mini-concert. I'm really hoping for Simple & Clean, Sanctuary, Face My Fears (acoustic) and Don't Think Twice by Utada! Then they can also do a few piano arrangements of popular tracks from the game.

I don't see the problem with making it exclusive and not live-streamed. I mean, I wish it were so I could get all the info, but it's kind of nice to give those people in attendance an exclusive event. Also, I feel like Nomura doesn't like live-streamed stuff because it makes him feel on the spot and he has to be very careful with his words. Especially with it being a Q&A, he may be worried about being asked a question and his answer being run with by the media as confirmation of something etc. If it's released later, he can look over any info he revealed and choose to cut what he doesn't want to be officially released. At least that's my theory.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
NOMURA!!!!!!!!! This is why I love him lol.

I'm so excited for the mini-concert. I'm really hoping for Simple & Clean, Sanctuary, Face My Fears (acoustic) and Don't Think Twice by Utada! Then they can also do a few piano arrangements of popular tracks from the game.

I don't see the problem with making it exclusive and not live-streamed. I mean, I wish it were so I could get all the info, but it's kind of nice to give those people in attendance an exclusive event. Also, I feel like Nomura doesn't like live-streamed stuff because it makes him feel on the spot and he has to be very careful with his words. Especially with it being a Q&A, he may be worried about being asked a question and his answer being run with by the media as confirmation of something etc. If it's released later, he can look over any info he revealed and choose to cut what he doesn't want to be officially released. At least that's my theory.
That is why typically events like these are scripted. Live Letters are 90% scripted, for example. They can still do Q&A’s but have it all vetted ahead of time. Have attendees submit questions prior to the event and they choose which ones to answer and have the general idea of the answers prepared in advance. In fact, I bet that is exactly what they will do.

Other live streamed events for other games have been the same when Nomura would appear as the voice of god in the background because he refuses to come on stage. They were scripted.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That is why typically events like these are scripted. Live Letters are 90% scripted, for example. They can still do Q&A’s but have it all vetted ahead of time. Have attendees submit questions prior to the event and they choose which ones to answer and have the general idea of the answers prepared in advance. In fact, I bet that is exactly what they will do.

Other live streamed events for other games have been the same when Nomura would appear as the voice of god in the background because he refuses to come on stage. They were scripted.
That doesn't mean people can't change the script live on the spot. If the Q&A is what I think it is - like someone walking up to a mic and asking a question, even if they gave their question beforehand they could ask Nomura something else. If it's just questions on cards that the host asks Nomura, then that's different, but still I don't see the problem not live-streaming it.

I always found it really cool how KH's marketing - despite what would be best for the brand - was always like this. If they were doing the event and not sharing video of it, then I would be furious, but they're giving us the video at a later date. The reason is probably to translate and hopefully enhance the audio/prepare HQ audio files of Utada's concert to release as an album.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
That doesn't mean people can't change the script live on the spot.
Right but if this actually were an issue the team was concerned about, they could just as well pre-record the event. But this isn’t a pre-record, it’s an actual live event that’s being captured, only to be shared with a broader audience… later. For some reason.

The reason is probably to translate and hopefully enhance the audio/prepare HQ audio files of Utada's concert to release as an album.
I assure you neither of these are particularly difficult to do for a livestream (mixing/mastering a live album for release would be a separate issue entirely and would probably take months, minimum, before any release). But a global livestream just requires a modicum of logistical effort and investment for a live translator and basic AV setup. Heck, Square Enix themselves do this all the time with FFXIV streams. They have the staffing, the know-how, and the infrastructure. This is practically the industry baseline in a COVID world. This whole thing is genuinely just poor PR and makes no sense.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Right but if this actually were an issue the team was concerned about, they could just as well pre-record the event. But this isn’t a pre-record, it’s an actual live event that’s being captured, only to be shared with a broader audience… later. For some reason.

I assure you neither of these are particularly difficult to do for a livestream (mixing/mastering a live album for release would be a separate issue entirely and would probably take months, minimum, before any release). But a global livestream just requires a modicum of logistical effort and investment for a live translator and basic AV setup. Heck, Square Enix themselves do this all the time with FFXIV streams. They have the staffing, the know-how, and the infrastructure. This is practically the industry baseline in a COVID world. This whole thing is genuinely just poor PR and makes no sense.
OK, well then Square and Nomura just wants to do it this way. I'm sorry you and a lot of people are pissed about it, but I actually find it really nice and unique to have an exclusive event for the people in Japan for KH.

Do I wish I could go? Of course. But this is what seems to happen a lot of KH events - COVID or not. The fact is that all fans WILL be getting the event eventually. Would you rather they didn't even bother release it? If the event has release dates and news about future games, would it matter if it were revealed at the event and people were told to not share it for a few days until the video is released? It would be like the info wasn't even released anyway.

What if they're working on a trailer that may or may not be ready by the time of the event, and would rather release the event along with an actual trailer to the world? We should be happy that we got a date and details of the event. That's the sign that we're moving forward with KH news.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
If the event has release dates and news about future games, would it matter if it were revealed at the event and people were told to not share it for a few days until the video is released? It would be like the info wasn't even released anyway.
If only… but past experience tells otherwise. We’re almost definitely going to be dealing with days (hopefully not longer but who knows) of Google-translated impressions posted on JP Reddit and Twitter, all kinds of bizarre hearsay and—if we get any big reveals here—spoilers for the reveals. Not saying I’m not excited, I’m saying… why do this to your fanbase? It’s just so unnecessary, and I think it’s reasonable to hold them to a higher standard.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I always found it really cool how KH's marketing - despite what would be best for the brand - was always like this. If they were doing the event and not sharing video of it, then I would be furious, but they're giving us the video at a later date. The reason is probably to translate and hopefully enhance the audio/prepare HQ audio files of Utada's concert to release as an album.
How did you come to the conclusion that Utada will be attending this thing at all?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
If only… but past experience tells otherwise. We’re almost definitely going to be dealing with days (hopefully not longer but who knows) of Google-translated impressions posted on JP Reddit and Twitter, all kinds of bizarre hearsay and—if we get any big reveals here—spoilers for the reveals. Not saying I’m not excited, I’m saying… why do this to your fanbase? It’s just so unnecessary, and I think it’s reasonable to hold them to a higher standard.
You make it sound like they're attacking the fanbase. They're literally doing a special event for fans. Yes, we all wish we could be there in person, but we can't. If we all can wait for KH3 to be released, I'm sure we can wait the days/weeks for video of this event. Honestly, this makes the video release even more special because there will be more word of mouth about what was seen and heard. I think that builds a more natural hype than just "here's your trailer". It engages with the audience and makes us reach out to the ones who attended for details.
How did you come to the conclusion that Utada will be attending this thing at all?
They said that there will be "special guests" and a "mini-concert", so I don't think it's completely out there to guess/hope that Queen Utada will attend. It's not like KH is some random job she got hired for, she is a big part of KH's legacy. Also, Nomura did artwork for an Utada album years back... AND Utada was willing to contribute a brand new song (Face My Fears) to KH3 instead of just letting them remix Don't Think Twice.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They said that there will be "special guests" and a "mini-concert", so I don't think it's completely out there to guess/hope that Queen Utada will attend. It's not like KH is some random job she got hired for, she is a big part of KH's legacy. Also, Nomura did artwork for an Utada album years back... AND Utada was willing to contribute a brand new song (Face My Fears) to KH3 instead of just letting them remix Don't Think Twice.
The "special guests" mentioned are more than likely referring to VAs, as is usually the case, and they are only mentioned on the website in regards to the talk session with dev staff.

Hoping Utada will attend is one thing, but assuming that they not only will, but will be the focus of the mini concert that is also going to be recorded in full and even released as an album is another thing entirely. Taking that many leaps and bounds when their name has not even been mentioned in relation to this event is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Yes, we all wish we could be there in person, but we can't.
No most of us couldn't care less about being there in person, we just don't want to be treated as an afterthought.

More often than not it feel like we international fans aren't wanted or valued and just tolorated to finanze the whole thing. The Japanese fans are obviously the favorite child in this dysfunctional family metaphor.
I mean has an international website for the anniversary even launched yet?

Personally I am just not a fan of exclusive events generally. But especially not for big anniverseries that were advertised internationally. Also it just seems stupid to have a local limited in person event, during a pandemic.
It be something else, if there was this local event and simultaniously something for fans that can't attend. So we can all celebrate together and feel valued.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
OK, well then Square and Nomura just wants to do it this way. I'm sorry you and a lot of people are pissed about it, but I actually find it really nice and unique to have an exclusive event for the people in Japan for KH

Both lamenting the "trauma" of the series not being PlayStation exclusive anymore and defending this odd exercise in artificial scarcity after they released a teaser trailer in English and Japanese for this event months ago.

Peculiar and verging on gatekeeping tbh.

They need to let the spice flow. SE has got to be the most dated and sloth-like company in the video game industry.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You make it sound like they're attacking the fanbase. They're literally doing a special event for fans. Yes, we all wish we could be there in person, but we can't.
Are we not fans? Aren't we allowed to share in the joy in celebrating the history of the series and exploring the future of the series at the same time as everyone else? If this event was hypothetically happening in Sydney and I was going, it'd suck because my friends over in North America wouldn't be able to share in the joy of what I'm seeing at the same time.

I love screaming in real time with them when there's a trailer at E3 or TGS. I wish the same could happen for the 20th anniversary of the series we all love.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
My hope is that if there are any trailers or similar reveals, they’ll be released right away. It just doesn’t make sense to hold that kind of stuff back if you have it ready, especially considering it would likely leak online anyways. Maybe only the live stuff like the Q&A, etc. will be saved for a later video. But they’ll probably disappoint me.

Considering how bad they are, I am glad they’re getting the Switch ports out of the way before the event so we can put them behind us and look forward to whatever is coming next. I hope they go ahead and release the Dark Road ending soon too. I would love for any upcoming releases they show to be entirely new content, not updates or re-releases of existing games.

(Originally posted this in the wrong thread.)

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I'm calling it. The real reason why they're not livestreaming it is because they're going to reveal Kingdom Hearts NFT's. They don't want us pausing and right clicking the stream.

There's no way you'll take Kairi's non-fungible Ver.2 58/300 reverso heart!

I know now, without a doubt, the blockchain keychain is light!

Katsagu

Awards
Just to remind some people of an example of an event that happened behind closed doors with a video edited afterwards.

The worst part is that we'll probably get something like this out of it, with small snippets of the concert, the Q&A and with audience reactions to the eventual trailer and all.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Just to remind some people of an example of an event that happened behind closed doors with a video edited afterwards.

The worst part is that we'll probably get something like this out of it, with small snippets of the concert, the Q&A and with audience reactions to the eventual trailer and all.
Having been there at that event, it was cool but I would have preferred everybody got to know what happened and saw the same stuff at the same time as everybody there. I hate that knowledge from that event and the in-production footage of KH3 is just lost to time in some archive and a few hundred people’s fading memories.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm just going to parrot what has already been said basically. I wanna celebrate the KH anniversary along with everyone else. With how much bigger Kingdom Hearts has gotten since the release of KH3 I'm a little disappointed we still have these limitations. Disappointed but not surprised as some habits just do not break with big companies. Square should recognize KH's growing global popularity. We invest our time and money into the series too. I literally bought a PS4 mainly for Kingdom Hearts 3.

I get the exclusiveness for those that go, but viewing a livestream isn't the same as actually being there, as those lucky ones will get the extras. It sucks we'll have to wait and hear dozens of rumors of what was shown before actually seeing what really happened.

Back