• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary Event held in Tokyo on April 10th

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I hope they announce the next major game here and we don't have to wait until later.
If there's no live stream, it's just another example of Square refusing to keep up with times.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm surprised it isn't in March when KH1 came out but whatever. Looking forward to hopefully a game announcement and brief trailer. And maybe the rumored Disney+ series :)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Fine print on the official website confirms we're getting a memorial video of the event at a later date. A livestream isn't addressed but I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up, given their track record.

It's kinda disappointing that the 20th anniversary announcements so far have been Japan-centric: the ambassador hotel collaboration, Tokyo Disneyland selling official KH merchandise, SE themselves releasing a ton of new products, and now this event.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Fine print on the official website confirms we're getting a memorial video of the event at a later date. A livestream isn't addressed but I guess we shouldn't get our hopes up, given their track record.

It's kinda disappointing that the 20th anniversary announcements so far have been Japan-centric: the ambassador hotel collaboration, Tokyo Disneyland selling official KH merchandise, SE themselves releasing a ton of new products, and now this event.
Sadly that's always been the case. Japan is the focus even if most of the fan fare is more international then that. We've always been an afterthought when it comes to events and celebrations.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm surprised it isn't in March when KH1 came out but whatever. Looking forward to hopefully a game announcement and brief trailer. And maybe the rumored Disney+ series :)
I think omicron forced them to push it out. Easier to have something in April with the hope things get back under control versus something just two months away when current predictions aren’t pleasant.

Sadly that's always been the case. Japan is the focus even if most of the fan fare is more international then that. We've always been an afterthought when it comes to events and celebrations.
It’s so stupid when we make the bulk of the market share for the series, too. Why not do a livestream like one of the Letters?

How hard is it to use space in a Disney retail location to sell limited KH merch?

😭

SuperNova

Awards
You know I know I shouldn't be disappointed that this event is Japan centric, given SE's track record, but man would it kill them to livestream the event at least? I want to be able to enjoy the hype with everyone instead of waiting for english subbed game trailers.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I think omicron forced them to push it out. Easier to have something in April with the hope things get back under control versus something just two months away when current predictions aren’t pleasant.
Uh logic?? No! It’s April 10 because of the 104 building, thirteen days after the anniversary, and being held in the building that the Master of Masters was on. Nothing to do with a virus we should all be triple vaccinated for (do it)

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I really hope they'll be providing a livestream, even if it won't be translated. Their post makes it sound like we're getting a VOD.
Of course they won't livestream it. Hyping up an event only to make it available to a small audience is practically the MO for KH.
Bonus points if the video is on a week+ delay.

2 quid is good

Awards
Ahhhh wonderful, I love to see Kingdom Hearts returning to its roots.

Nothing screams KH more than a closed theatre event!

EDIT: I know the 2.5 launch event is the poster child example of this (us plebs *still* haven't seen that kino cg trailer) but may I posit a different event, the D23 2015 closed theatre? 1½ years of hyping up and all we got out of it was footage we'd already seen before. There was some tremendous salt that day

EDIT EDIT: not to mention how some people could get so sanctimonious over the whole thing, cos sure, you don't deserve to see the trailers if you can't cough up the cash for it. At least these days they get leaked

Last edited:

Chie

Awards
I mean, where in America do yall think they should hold a live showing of an event?

The thing about Tokyo is that everyone in Tokyo is already, like, right there. There are basically constant events for all JP art things there; I figure they're not that expensive to book even.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Dragon Quest got an international livestream and Square has to be dragged by their feet to release any of those games globally.

Awards
No livestream = Essentially means anything new will be behind closed-door.

Basically: Lol, Nomura.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean, where in America do yall think they should hold a live showing of an event?

The thing about Tokyo is that everyone in Tokyo is already, like, right there. There are basically constant events for all JP art things there; I figure they're not that expensive to book even.
I don’t understand? Nowhere. We mean they should be live-streaming the event they are hosting in Tokyo to fans worldwide like they do other things like Letters from the Producer which are live and translated live with any news in both English and Japanese.

Katsagu

Awards

The problem is not that it is happening in Tokyo. Is that the event only happens there and everyone else around the globe has no way to access what is happening before a video is edited together and released god knows when.

It should be livestreamed so everyone that loves KH can join together and celebrate it's birthday on the same day. I just hope that if a trailer is released there, at least they release it online, so we don't have to go off online impressions of what people saw at the event...

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yea these guys really need to start taking some pages out of Creative Business Unit III’s playbook. In general, greater transparency has a proven track record of serving as a successful marketing tactic while building trust and good will with fans. It’s surprising Kitase’s group still hasn’t put this together.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

It's not like overseas fans are the only ones displeased about this? Japanese fans are as well. Those who can't get to Tokyo, aren't willing to risk being in closed quarters with lots of people during the pandemic, unable to get a ticket (which you know will be distributed via lotto)... they're also losing out.

Just seems kind of short-sighted to celebrate such a momentous occasion in such a limited way.

Chie

Awards
I guess I mean just the idea of "all the events have been Japan-centric", with a list of the live events and promotions and stuff. I just can't picture that kind of thing happening in the west at all, even for something as popular as KH.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I guess I mean just the idea of "all the events have been Japan-centric", with a list of the live events and promotions and stuff. I just can't picture that kind of thing happening in the west at all, even for something as popular as KH.
I mean, it has happened though. The 1.5 event. The 2.5 filming and the 2.5 launch events. The KH3 Premiere event. The D23 stuff. Disney Springs' pop up shop.

But when it really matters like with stuff like this, it is always Japan-centric and it usually means they will also tell Japanese fans to not spoil anything, so we'll spend days not knowing what happened like this is a Closed Special Theater.

But the problem here is that we are in the midst of a global pandemic + it's 2022 and SE can't do a livestream??? Can't have Disney stock up on KH stuff in western locations? It's easy things that could make all of this more accessible for their very global audience.

They might surprise us and actually do this things down the line, but atm the biggest issue is not making this event accessible to people beyond a VOD post-event who knows when. It just really sucks when it's the 20th anniversary for every fan, not just the 5 people who will be lucky to attend. The fans attending already get the advantage of being there physically to enjoy the festivities.

Back