• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS 3 nominated for Best Character Animation — Video Game at the Annie Awards

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

The International Animated Film Association, ASIFA - Hollywood has revealed the nominees for the 47th Annie Awards and KINGDOM HEARTS 3 has been nominated for the for Best Character Animation — Video Game. 

The Annie Awards are a prestigeous award show to recognize excellence in animation in film, television, and video games. The award ceremony were conceived in 1972 by June Foray, the iconic voice actress of Rocky the Flying SquirrelLucifer from Disney's Cinderella, Grammi Gummi from Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears series, and Magica De Spell from Ducktales and Darkwing Duck, among other iconic roles. Foray believed that there should be an award show dedicated to celebrating the lifetime and career contributions of animators and the various talents that go into bringing animated films to life. 

The Annie Awards currently presents awards for 32 categories spanning features, TV/short form media, video games, and VR.

The list of nominees for Best Character Animation — Video Game can be viewed below:

Best Character Animation — Video Game

Gears 5 - Cinematic AnimationThe Coalition/ Microsoft
Lead Animator: Brian Whitmire
Character: JD, Del, Marcus, Fahz, Reyna, Kait

Kingdom Hearts IIISquare Enix
Character Animator: Munenori Shinagawa
Character: Sora, Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Pluto, Jiminy, Yen Sid, Chip, Dale, Kairi, Riku, Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas, Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Rex, Mike, Sulley, Boo, Jack, Gibbs, Elizabeth, Barbarossa, Will, Tia, Heartless
Character Animator: Kayoko Yajima
Character: Sora, Donald, Goofy, Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Pluto, Jiminy, Yen Sid, Chip, Dale, Kairi, Riku, Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas, Woody, Buzz, Hamm, Rex, Mike, Sulley, Boo, Jack, Gibbs, Elizabeth, Barbarossa, Will, Tia, Heartless
Character Animator: Koji Hamada
Character: Sora, Donald, Goofy, Sulley, Mike, Marshmallow, Baymax, Buzz, Woody, Ariel, Heartless
Character Animator: Koji Inoue
Character: Sora, Donald, Goofy, Sulley, Mike, Marshmallow, Baymax, Buzz, Woody, Ariel, Heartless

Sinclair Snake: Museum MischiefChromosphere / Within
Character Animator: Tommy Rodricks
Character: Sgt. Salamander, Sinclair Snake
Character Animator: Natan Moura
Character: Sinclair Snake
Character Animator: Nelson Boles
Character: Various

Unruly HeroesMagic Design Studios
Character Animator: Sebastien Parodi
Character: Heroes Kid version, Underworld NPC
Lead Animator: Nicolas Leger
Character: Heroes (Wukong, Kihong, Sandmonk, Sanzang), All enemies (except Underworld levels) and cinematics

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts III and all things Kingdom Hearts

Source: The Hollywood Reporter thanks to @Knuxpyro on Twitter

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm slightly triggered that Elizabeth Swan is on that list but not Roxas. Still I hope a KH character wins...one that isn't Elizabeth. To the locker with her!

It would be cool if Kairi won, as unlikely as that is.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm slightly triggered that Elizabeth Swan is on that list but not Roxas. Still I hope a KH character wins...one that isn't Elizabeth. To the locker with her!

It would be cool if Kairi won, as unlikely as that is.

It's not the individual character, that is the list of the animators and who they animated in the game. KH3 as a whole was nominated.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
It's not the individual character, that is the list of the animators and who they animated in the game. KH3 as a whole was nominated.
I see. Thanks for clearing that. I stand behind KH3 to win any and all categories it enters then.

And Ms. Swan still needs to go to the locker.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Why? What do.you have against Swann?
She left a man for dead to save her own skin, revealing her true colors. KH3 leaves that part out to make her seem more heroic. She must atone for her crimes.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I'm mixed. In the case of KH3, is this supposed to be reffering to things like cutscenes, gameplay, or both?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Just let them take in the intro video and their version of Let It Go... then hand KH3 the award please. I need KH3 to win as much as possible!

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Oh this is cool, it's nice that the talent behind the animation is being recognized.

Seeing this award show also honors TV shows I'm surprised Steven Universe isn't on there for it's great sceen at the end of the series.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I should note that this award ceremony is sponsored (heavily) by Disney and Pixar. So. Yeah. If you thought KH3 wasn't winning for some reason, you're silly.
Yay! I don't care how they get the award, once they get it! They should have nominated KH3 for even more stuff at this show!

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
??? For what awards? They primarily award animated features and shows.
Best CGI In A Video Game? Best Video Game Based On Traditional Animation? Best Video Game Based On An Animated Feature/Show? Best Video Game That Features A Crossover Between An Animated Feature/Show?

Just make up awards for it!

Also, is the lack of Roxas being included mean that they didn't think the animator's work wasn't good enough for nomination or was it that they deemed Roxas' model horrible?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Best CGI In A Video Game? Best Video Game Based On Traditional Animation? Best Video Game Based On An Animated Feature/Show? Best Video Game That Features A Crossover Between An Animated Feature/Show?

Just make up awards for it!

I get that you're excited but what you're suggesting is not a good thing. Awards are nice to have but they are not representative of a game's success and achievements.

Besides, we want KH3 to win legitimate awards, not bogus ones.

Also, is the lack of Roxas being included mean that they didn't think the animator's work wasn't good enough for nomination or was it that they deemed Roxas' model horrible?

They named only the Animation Directors as like, team representatives.

KH3 was nominated for its animation as a whole. They're not picking and choosing any particular staff or characters as being better than others in the game.

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Besides, what animations did Roxas really have lol? He appears, talks to Xemnas, and then has battle animations for the fight against Saix. After that he is pretty much only standing the rest of the game. The most movement he does in a cutscene is the beach party at the end if you really think about it.

Anyway, happy KHIII is getting recognition for how visually stunning the game really is. Regardless of how you feel for the game, I think we can all agree that visually they hit the mark.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Purely in terms of visuals, I don't have too many complaints, buuuut the CGI models were.... way too waxy and doll-like for me to take seriously-- especially for the original characters.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Visually, I think they hit the mark when it comes to some of Disney properties for the most part. I can't say the same for how the original chars look for everything else. CGI models also were....just weird. (Sora lips...my goodness)

Pirate Sora is the best looking Sora and i wish that's how he and all the other original characters looked more like throughout the game.

Last edited:
Back