• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts 3 Story Discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I did think when they finally got to it, Aqua and Ven were handled very well. They both got some nice scenes, before, during and after their rescue. But then yes, all the Keyblade Graveyard rescues were in insane succession, to the point they put them both into the same section of the labyrinth lol. I agree their reunion scenes were great though. I have commented on it before, but I guess I personally do support the decision to end the saga with the main trio we started it with. As much as I love a lot of these other characters. I guess I also feel they aren't going away and will have their chances to shine again (like Aqua said before her one, single boss fight in this game lol).

Skipping to the end ha, I could see Sora talking about friendship making Chirithy leave due to impatience, like it wants its "friend" back. And as you said maybe it was content just watching from afar at first. But obviously that didn't last lol. This sounds like the kind of smaller detail Nomura COULD explain in the next game in a small scene, or something he just sorta brushes off.

Well, I guess

you can say that when it comes to Aqua and Ventus interacting with each other, but I found their interactions with Sora, Riku and Kairi to be somewhat lacking, which is the main point of why it would have made more sense to rescue them both earlier and have them intermingle with the active cast longer before the final battle. The whole Anti-Aqua subplot and constant dragging out of bringing those two back was unnecessary and is a clear example of bad pacing even if the following parts in the Keyblade Graveyard are worse examples.

As a general note though I do certainly not try to portray the involvement of these characters as completely bad (unlike Kairi, who really took the biggest hit), but it does feel somewhat underwhelming and lots of potential again not being used.
The most blatant examples are Riku and Terra not even exchanging a single word, for all the focus being given on Sora's determination to bring Roxas back they don't really speak with each other at all too and the whole Roxas/Ventus-issue is reduced to a single (silent) meme scene.
The missed opportunities there are manifold and not just limited to the three examples above.

On one hand I am not sure if it really is that important how Chirithy found its way to LoD and seek out Ventus so theorizing about it as head canons is somewhat easier and more relaxing, yet on the other I remember Nomura's priorities are sometimes screwed and he actually implemented a canon explanation for a cartoon mouse losing his shirt, pffft.

If Chirithy arriving at LoD and settling in with Ventus is sort of a starting point for a new arc centering the BBS crew though it could turn out to be somewhat important to know how Chirithy got there and why.

buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer buffer

didn't love how they made Riku all suave and hetero when reaching out to Namine during the ending. Riku's gay as hell

Well, that can be a point of interpretation as

there are gay guys who are especially considerate and suave towards their platonic female friends because they are not going after them, just as generic politeness and appreciation.
Not to mention that Riku may just be respecting Repliku's last wish.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Hello! First post I'm making here. Hope I'm doing it right. XD
Not sure if this has already been discussed at all yet but can anyone explain why Axel was able to summon his keyblade again after it was shattered by Xemnas? I was just a bit confused because when Riku's keyblade broke in the Dark Margin he had to go back to Master Yensid for his new one...
Just funny to me.
Xemnas - "Your keyblade is no more."
Lea - "Sike."
Hello!

My theory is Lea's Keyblade is actually a fake.

Xemnas: "Is this supposed to be a Keyblade? Or is it some sort of joke?"

This also explains why it's just a shrunken version of one of his chakrams with fire shooting out, and how it it shatters the way it does, and also why it's the only Keyblade with an effect (the animated fire.) He just manipulated it and his fire power's appearance as much as he could to make it Keyblade-shaped.

Challenger

Not sure if this has already been discussed at all yet but can anyone explain why Axel was able to summon his keyblade again after it was shattered by Xemnas? I was just a bit confused because when Riku's keyblade broke in the Dark Margin he had to go back to Master Yensid for his new one...
Just funny to me.
Lea - "Sike."

I wondered about that myself, and I'm guessing this is one of those plot points that Lea mentioned that needed to be ironed out.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I think to give a little benefit of a doubt to Nomura, he probably reaches the point of frustration with this story. It's kind of like people who write their thesis for years and towards the end, just say f*** this I want to finish this and work on something brand new ish. Not defending the writing/pacing of the game but I think it's only human nature that after such a long time planning/rewriting the game story that he just got bored and wanted to move on to what he finds something more exciting.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Just funny to me.
Lea - "Sike."

Welcome!
I've always defendend Birth by Sleep from people who argued it destroyed the Keyblade's lore, I think it only added some more layers to it, but KH III is making it hard to do that.

If Lea's Keyblade was a fake, then... wouldn't that throw a wrench in Xehanort's plan? Does a fake Keyblade count?
If Xemnas destroyed it... couldn't he do that to everybody else? Also, WHY did he do that? Is the takeaway here that Keyblades aren't important? Which I doubt, considering they were used to forge OTHER Keyblades? Even if they say "hearts", the Keyblade is kinda tied to it.
If it happened because Lea's Keyblade was weak... first of all, the eff are you doing getting there with a weak blade. I had Kingdom Key maxed out, fire boy. Second, yes, it doesn't make sense he magically repaired just like that. I mean, I'm kinda against this whole biz of Keyblades breaking and getting repaired/replaced in the first place.

I'm sorry I can only answer with more questions, but I think this scenario opens so many doubts that could've been avoided by treating the Keyblade like older games used to do. With dignity.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Couldn't agree more.
I'm sorry Nomura, but if this was indeed the case then it's worst mindset possible for writing a saga finale

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I think to give a little benefit of a doubt to Nomura, he probably reaches the point of frustration with this story. It's kind of like people who write their thesis for years and towards the end, just say f*** this I want to finish this and work on something brand new ish. Not defending the writing/pacing of the game but I think it's only human nature that after such a long time planning/rewriting the game story that he just got bored and wanted to move on to what he finds something more exciting.

Good point. The KHUx writing at least seems to be better.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It's hilarious that the character entries list Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort as "The Boy in White" and "The Boy in Black" like it's supposed to be some big mystery as to who they are.

TruestSyn

Bronze Member
Awards
It's hilarious that the character entries list Young Eraqus and Young Xehanort as "The Boy in White" and "The Boy in Black" like it's supposed to be some big mystery as to who they are.

I like to imagine that it's something Sora saw in a dream or something so he told Jiminy about it and he put it in the journal. I kinda hoped they'd change at the end to Young E Young X but that didn't happen.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Hm, I guess I can see where you all are coming from for sure. I mean, I clearly also see that the ending was rushed, but I guess I dunno. Maybe I expected it to be like this anyway, so I am not that "disappointed"? He put way too much on this one single game to wrap up for everything to get its moment. I guess I blame it more on that than rushing to get to the new saga cuz he is more excited about that (I mean in some ways, aren't we all lol)

Not that that is "good writing" either haha.

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

If we're going by logic, it'd be his friends or his friendship, but if we fallow KH trends it'll be Kairi. I'd prefer it to be his friendships, them disappearing from his heart as he disappears from theirs. This would also make Pooh's story line a foreshadowing of these events.

SerDuncan

What if... what gets taken from him is Riku? And that's why Riku shows up in Shinjuku? Not because he's searching for Sora, or anything like that, but because he's what is most dear to Sora.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
While the games would definitely make you think Riku would be it, the dialog does like to emphasis that Kairi's "the one that's most important" to him.
Even if he tends to show more interest and care for Riku on screen.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
What if... what gets taken from him is Riku? And that's why Riku shows up in Shinjuku? Not because he's searching for Sora, or anything like that, but because he's what is most dear to Sora.

While the games would definitely make you think Riku would be it, the dialog does like to emphasis that Kairi's "the one that's most important" to him.
Even if he tends to show more interest and care for Riku on screen.

I was going to say even if this does happen they will somehow try to claim he is in love with Kairi later lol. (Not that he can't love them both, but you know)

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Remember when we were led to believe Mickey and Ansem the Wise were good friends?
Has Mickey ever thought about Ansem or mentioned him again after KH II, except for info dumps?

Back