• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts 3 Ultimania - Yasue Interview Translated

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Its a bit sad that Disney is that protective about their movies and its characters. Hopefully the success (and the money) that KH3 brought my make them change it a bit. Otherwise it might just be better to have older disney movies in the game, maybe they dont care that much about them then..

If that's the case, it'd be kinda funny because I think those are the ones that fans would want the most, like Treasure Planet.

But then again, we're talking about movies like Frozen here -- probably the biggest Disney (not talking Marvel or Star Wars) movie in recent memory. Like kids knew the songs word for word, Elsa and Anna were popular Halloween costumes, birthday parties had cosplayers show up as the characters... This movie was a monster. So it makes complete sense for big wigs at Disney who probably don't really know or understand Kingdom Hearts to be hesitant with a movie like that. Toy Box seemed perfectly fine, same with Monstropolis and The Caribbean. San Fransokyo turned out really well too. I wish it wasn't like that, but I completely see why Disney would want creative control when it comes to certain worlds and characters.

As for why they're all of a sudden hesitant with summons now, idunno man, that's weird. Like that sounds like an issue you'd have in KH1, not at the most highly anticipated saga finale that's bound to break sales records. Especially when Simba's been a summon in the first game and we went to his world in the second numbered title.

It goes to show though that there's a lot of loose ends that needs to be dealt with when making a Kingdom Hearts game, so when people were complaining about the lack of a release date, this is probably a part of why things get held up. I hope for the next title, Disney loosens their grip, because I'm sure we could see some real cool stuff happen once they do.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I want to throw hands with whoever decided that with summons, but mostly because I wonder if that means if Sora ever meets Ralph if they will remember each other like Simba and Mushu or not? I actually liked the aesthetic of them being made of elements a lot. And it was a nice excuse to use mermaid Ariel again.

I forgot that Lassetter being gone could mean some changes (good). Honestly though, this is the first thing I have heard in a while about Disney being involved that actually was negative. I still think the Disney characters and scenarios felt more Disney than they have since KH1. Even with stuff like Frozen having admittedly silly restrictions around it. But it was still better than what the KH team did on their own with the Pride Lands lol, soooooo I can't say I am upset about the idea of Disney still being heavily involved.

I think Disney's mentality about this has more cons than pros. The films already don't cross-over in terms of settings, KH is the perfect series to allow that kind of stuff to happen without affecting the brands.

I never got the impression that the "integrity" of each world is being maintained via this policy, only that opportunities are being missed.

I suppose I have also always felt this way as well, but I am not surprised to hear this is how they feel as they really haven't crossed any actual worlds over other than Mickey and friends with any of the other.

I do think they would be fine the princesses interacting in an original world or something. As Audo pointed out, Remy was allowed to do stuff in Twilight Town.

Writer_Man

Awards
I don't think it would be a problem for Disney Princess to crossover in an original movie considering Wreck-it Ralph 2.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't think it would be a problem for Disney Princess to crossover in an original movie considering Wreck-it Ralph 2.

A world you mean? WIR2 was a big trust test by Disney, but in general the Disney Princess line is handled with the utmost care. The Princesses can't even look in the same direction usually because they wish to keep the idea of them being in different places.

Considering how successful WIR2 was, I don't think that is specifically a concern as long as the princesses aren't crossing over into each other's properties.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Disney really has made it a mission to sap everything that made KH special in the first place out of the series, huh?

It works because its an epic cross-over of properties.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
250px-Hercules_%26_The_Arabian_Night.jpg

Explain this, Disney!

Ironically, if I recall correctly in another interview it was said that the reason why Disney didn't care about Simba is because the moment they made him a fire lion Disney was like "Ok, he's different enough, we'll just pretend he's not Simba".
Gotta love loopholes. While I'm sure it varies between films, but if this is fine (like, it's still the characters, just projecting themselves through magic) then it shows there's workarounds to Disney's ridiculous demands.

Someone should make a fanfic of that guy. XD

I think Disney's mentality about this has more cons than pros. The films already don't cross-over in terms of settings, KH is the perfect series to allow that kind of stuff to happen without affecting the brands.

I never got the impression that the "integrity" of each world is being maintained via this policy, only that opportunities are being missed.
Agreed. To actually treat these films like they're in the crossover in no way harms the integrity of said films. Heck, Arendelle's treatment was just plain disrespectful to the movie, and it's sad Disney thinks this was a good decision.

Right now Disney's policies with KH is like breaking into a little girl's house and beating her for having the audacity to play with different dolls together.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I want to throw hands with whoever decided that with summons, but mostly because I wonder if that means if Sora ever meets Ralph if they will remember each other like Simba and Mushu or not? I actually liked the aesthetic of them being made of elements a lot. And it was a nice excuse to use mermaid Ariel again.

I forgot that Lassetter being gone could mean some changes (good). Honestly though, this is the first thing I have heard in a while about Disney being involved that actually was negative. I still think the Disney characters and scenarios felt more Disney than they have since KH1. Even with stuff like Frozen having admittedly silly restrictions around it. But it was still better than what the KH team did on their own with the Pride Lands lol, soooooo I can't say I am upset about the idea of Disney still being heavily involved.
I agree entirely. Even the world I disliked the most early on (Corona) has grown on me a great deal. 3D's worlds were good, but, while we saw the villains at the end of each world after the plot was resolved, we rarely saw them affect the world or interact with the Disney characters like with Vexen and Luxord in The Caribbean, Young Xehanort in Toy Box, or the dark Riku in San Fransokyo. Larxene and Marluxia never directly interact with the Disney characters, which is a shame, but they at least interact with SDG in entertaining ways.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I always expected Disney's increased involvement in the series to come with more problems than benefits, so it's not surprising to me that they imposed all these restrictions and contributed to the difficulty of developing this game as a satisfying conclusion. The series was getting along just fine without the intrusive corporate handwringing of Disney's brand managers, and all the speculation fans put forward that maybe Disney-senpai would eventually notice the series always left me thinking people ought to be careful what they wish for. Oh well.

Yasue's comments about how the game development was focused on making things bigger and more flashy, and constantly one-upping themselves in that regard, also speaks to the issues with it. The Devil's Wave sequence doesn't really go anywhere and it's certainly not a culmination of the gameplay mechanics (I guess it could be called a distillation since all you do is lazily tilt the joystick and press triangle...fun!), but he decided it needed to be there to artificially inflate the endgame and make the whole thing look dazzling so that it felt ~important~. I'm personally just so moved that bunch of whales got their names in KH3. Meanwhile, those of us who bought every system and every remix and played every game but don't like the gacha shit are just not contributing enough to Square Enix's bottom line I guess. Oh well.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I'm really hoping they don't have the same philosophy for the next games. There's only so many times and ways you can top yourself by making things even bigger, grander and flashier before it get's really ridiculous and starts negativity harming the game instead.

KH3 to me reached peak flash. Toning down things going forward would be nice.

Last edited:

LostArtist

Awards
The Devil's Wave sequence doesn't really go anywhere and it's certainly not a culmination of the gameplay mechanics (I guess it could be called a distillation since all you do is lazily tilt the joystick and press triangle...fun!), but he decided it needed to be there to artificially inflate the endgame and make the whole thing look dazzling so that it felt ~important~. I'm personally just so moved that bunch of whales got their names in KH3. Meanwhile, those of us who bought every system and every remix and played every game but don't like the gacha shit are just not contributing enough to Square Enix's bottom line I guess. Oh well.

I actually got chills from that part/ and it's one of my favorite parts of the endgame. And even though I don't play the chi mobile stuff, part of my excitement came from seeing the names of people who play the game, I just thought that was hecka cool. It worked for me lol.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I actually got chills from that part/ and it's one of my favorite parts of the endgame. And even though I don't play the chi mobile stuff, part of my excitement came from seeing the names of people who play the game, I just thought that was hecka cool. It worked for me lol.
Me, too. I don't play Chi either, but I thought it was a cute way they managed to tag all the fans who threw their money down the drainplayed that game. And all those Keyblades lying around everywhere finally came to have a use.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
One thing KH needs is a policy that when once something is allowed, it stays allowed. It's both unfair and inefficient for something to be okay one game, but then having to struggle finding a workaround or not use even not use it at all the next.

A world you mean? WIR2 was a big trust test by Disney, but in general the Disney Princess line is handled with the utmost care. The Princesses can't even look in the same direction usually because they wish to keep the idea of them being in different places.
How many people would even notice that?! I certainly didn't.

This is the best analogy I’ve seen about this situation.
giphy36.gif

I'm really hoping they don't have the same philosophy for the next games. There's only so many times and ways you can top yourself by making things even bigger, grander and flashier before it get's really ridiculous and starts negativity harming the game instead.

KH3 to me reached peak flash. Toning down things going forward would be nice.
Agreed. I can only hope they got this grandiose flashiness out of their system and tone it down for future games.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Q: How did you select the characters for links?

A: Regarding links: During talks with Disney, we were asked to stop calling characters from other worlds into whichever world Sora was currently in. But, that meant we wouldn't be able to make a summon technique like past titles. So, we went with the premise that a connection with Sora's heart calls the characters forth as magic. I thought combining them with magic would have the most impact, so we settled on having "Simba+Fire" and "Ariel+Water" and the like.

Sora doesn't have any connection with Ralph, unless Ephemer's heart turns out to be another heart which is inside in him, but surely 4 is already more than enough...right Nomura?! RIGHT?!

Anyway one would think that after all these years making Kingdom Hearts games, Disney would give them more free rein but seems like it just got worse in KH3.

It doesn't bother me much that we barely have Disney boss battles in KH3, but I don't like how it's so obvious that they prioritized Disney Worlds over Original Worlds, when everything should have got the same treatment.

If we ever get a KH4, I hope things go better.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

Awards
I'm question what made Disney get so strict about crossing over. These was the company who made House of Mouse, a cartoon that had Zeus and Chernabog playing darts with lightning bolts, Maleficent going on a date with Hades, and had a band made out of the various Disney dogs.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm question what made Disney get so strict about crossing over. These was the company who made House of Mouse, a cartoon that had Zeus and Chernabog playing darts with lightning bolts, Maleficent going on a date with Hades, and had a band made out of the various Disney dogs.

Different times, different executives, different ways of handling things. Eisner Era Disney is much different from Iger Era Disney.

But I’d say something with the fall from grace in the early 2000s and subsequent Revival in the 2010s played a role in things, too. Lasseter’s rise to head of WDAS, perhaps, is something to make note of here as well.

Back