• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories The Novel Cover Art Revealed!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It'd be nice if KH3 finally established the reason why Saix and Axel wanted to take over the Organization (beyond what we all have inferred) just so Axel's ruthlessness in CoM gets framed a bit better within that. I think it'd help at least give some reasoning as to why Axel was a coldblooded sociopath before Roxas turned him into puddle of sappy goo because like you all have said, it was like two different characters between CoM and KH2.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
It'd be nice if KH3 finally established the reason why Saix and Axel wanted to take over the Organization (beyond what we all have inferred) just so Axel's ruthlessness in CoM gets framed a bit better within that. I think it'd help at least give some reasoning as to why Axel was a coldblooded sociopath before Roxas turned him into puddle of sappy goo because like you all have said, it was like two different characters between CoM and KH2.

Didn't Nomura once say that it was because after Axel came in contact with Sora's heart in Castle Oblivion, he began to change? Otherwise, were it not for Sora, the ruthless person was just who he'd become--and probably would have stayed--and the stuff with Roxas before he went to C.O. was just an act?

Not that I think that that's a great explanation, tbh, and I still want to know more about them like you said, Spock. But still...

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Saken

鍵が導く心のまま
Awards

It would be stupid not to delve into it, with all the build up from 358/2 days, as well as KH3D hinting at the inevitable showdown between Isa and Lea.
Surely before they go at each other, their bygone days will be explored.

But then this just makes me remember how they have so much to explain in the breadth of one game. They could of spread it more evenly :')
Not to mention that it might not even explain some things, leave it to the interviews with Nomura later, while he adds more unneeded complexity in order to extend the series beyond 3. Excellent :D

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Didn't Nomura once say that it was because after Axel came in contact with Sora's heart in Castle Oblivion, he began to change? Otherwise, were it not for Sora, the ruthless person was just who he'd become--and probably would have stayed--and the stuff with Roxas before he went to C.O. was just an act?
I don't know if Nomura himself said that, but a good deal of it was implied in the games. It went something like... Roxas comments on how Axel is much more outgoing than before he left for CO, and Axel mutters something about how "he" must've rubbed off on him. That, and we have that one CoM scene where Axel laughs a bit, then realizes that he is actually feeling something for once.

I guess the main difference we're seeing here is "Axel without a heart" vs "Axel with a heart." You can't really be a ruthless sociopath when you have feelings, after all. I guess the starting point of that "burgeoning replacement" was coming into contact with Sora during CoM.

But now I have to wonder why, out of all the other emotionless guys available, Axel was the designated assassin. What did happen to make him that murder-happy, aside from the "no emotions" thing?

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
I feel like this Chain of Memories novel has brought things to the table that we could/should maybe talk about.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I feel like this Chain of Memories novel has brought things to the table that we could/should maybe talk about.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

How I hope and pray that KHIII will finally fill us in about all these secrets about Naminé. But seeing how KHIII already has a lot to handle, and that that plot point hasn't come up in a long time, I'm not very hopeful, unfortunately. But I'm going to remain optimistic about it (until proven otherwise), anyway=)

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't get why it's important, someone help me with this. Namine is an anomaly. Isn't that enough?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't get why it's important, someone help me with this. Namine is an anomaly. Isn't that enough?

It is the fact that she is an anomaly is what makes people interested in figuring her out. Essentially, what Nomura wanted people to do when it came to unexplained aspects of the series.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Well knowing Nomura, I can see him keeping it that way too.

Though, if it must be agonized over, it's worth noting that Namine is called a shadow more than once.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website

I guess for me, I really didn't care that much until we saw Axel reading an entire book about her in 358/2 Days. LOL. At that point, it looked like Nomura was maybe planning something big or game changing with Naminé, so I then began wanting to know what it was. (But maybe that got retconned now?)

I'll also admit that I want to know, because it seems like a mystery that could be solved simply (hopefully), but still be interesting nonetheless. I miss stuff like that in the series, I guess.

The stuff with Xehanort, for instance, I don't really care about anymore. I used to. But now it's been so drawn out, over the top, and confusing (because of DDD and time travel) that I'm much more interested in other aspects of the saga right now. Even if they are far inferior by comparison^_^'

Though I do like your idea of leaving this one thing alone for Naminé, and having the non-answer be the answer itself. It's beautiful to think of it that way, I think, and it would be a further thing to set Naminé apart from everyone else. I like that (it's for that same reason that I don't want her to have a Keyblade, because way too many people at this point have one).

So I guess I'm saying... If Nomura plans to do something with this idea, then I definitely want to know what's up with her. But if it's just something he meant for us to speculate about, then I'm 100% fine about not knowing what Naminé is.

Hopefully KHIII will show us which one of those it is, though.

Oh! And another thing to note about the "shadow" thing, Tinny, is that Riku is also referred to as a "shadow" in Chain of Memories. Personally, I've had theories about that in the past--about a possible similarity between Riku and Naminé that might link them together with that term somehow.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
Day number 2 of "Shanna dissects the CoM novel", I guess.

On page 3-4, let's take a look at this.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Day number 2 of "Shanna dissects the CoM novel", I guess.

On page 3-4, let's take a look at this.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

A good rule of thumb for the novels is that if the games contradict it, then it isn't really canon. This is why it is 3rd tier canon...it can be taken as canon or not canon (When the side stories come out, you'll find the Axel-Roxas story completely contradicts Days)

I wouldn't think the long winding road was a dream, but rather Kanemaki decided to make it a dream in order to avoid having to explain what the letter was. xD Since we see Donald and Goofy enter Castle Oblivion in their regular Disney outfits in the game, I think it is best to believe it wasn't a dream.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
A good rule of thumb for the novels is that if the games contradict it, then it isn't really canon. This is why it is 3rd tier canon...it can be taken as canon or not canon (When the side stories come out, you'll find the Axel-Roxas story completely contradicts Days)

I wouldn't think the long winding road was a dream, but rather Kanemaki decided to make it a dream in order to avoid having to explain what the letter was. xD Since we see Donald and Goofy enter Castle Oblivion in their regular Disney outfits in the game, I think it is best to believe it wasn't a dream.

That's a very good point. I guess I was just thinking it was possible--since that scene never does go anywhere, and this could have been the answer as to why it doesn't--but... From now on I think I'm going to stop taking the novels so seriously, and see them as third tier canon, as you've said. I was trying to do that to begin with, but I guess I got a little carried away with this CoM one. Hehe. ^_^'

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That's a very good point. I guess I was just thinking it was possible--since that scene never does go anywhere, and this could have been the answer as to why it doesn't--but... From now on I think I'm going to stop taking the novels so seriously, and see them as third tier canon, as you've said. I was trying to do that to begin with, but I guess I got a little carried away with this CoM one. Hehe. ^_^'

NOOOO. It makes more fun when discussing if we take it a bit more seriously! We've already talked the hell out of the games, so it is time to talk the hell out of the novels. Maybe once we get a few more people who have read the novels, we can get a bit more discussion.

(speaking of, I need to finish the novel *cries*)

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
Ooh, I think I might be able to buy the novel next week. That and the last volume of Days manga. So, I think I am only able to buy either the KH1 novel, or the CoM one. Which one should I get? Either that, or I sacrifice Tokoy Ghoul volume 1 for bot of the novels.

DoctahFaz

Awards
I was flying out to California from New York on Friday and was able to read the entire novel on the flight. Now that I'm home again, I can share my thoughts. I pretty much agree with everything everyone else has mentioned, so I'll just add some points regarding things in the novel that I enjoyed.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Looking forward to the next one!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I was finally able to read this jewel from start to finish and boy it didn't disappoint.
Getting actually to see the thoughts of the characters allows you to really emphasize with them on an even deeper level.

Especially in the Reverse/Rebirth-part there were some instances that brilliantly showcased just how deep Riku's feelings of guilt run and I won't be ashamed to admit that once or twice I felt like if I had the possibility to I would give him a big hug.
Considering how much I despised Riku initially when playing KH 1 for the first time, this ought to say much.

The parts of Naminé and Repliku are the same if not even worse.
I can only repeat that the novels really manage to get you much more emotionally involved with most of the characters.

That being said, having Reverse/Rebirth being split between Riku's POV and the Replica's POV was surely a good thing in terms of getting to connect better with Repliku, but I noticed that sometimes I didn't really realize a POV-switch and had to reread some passages to ascertain "which" Riku was now in POV.

On a side note, can anybody tell me when this novel was originally first released? Before or after KH II?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back