• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Dark Road ► KINGDOM HEARTS Dark Road, Chapter 1: Unexpected Departure

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

zander1995

Awards
Scala transforming into LoD conflicts with the established lore that it has existed for a long time.
It doesn't really conflict though? If LOD is Scala, then that means it has existed for a long time, because Scala existed for a long time.

GreyouTT

Awards
It doesn't really conflict though? If LOD is Scala, then that means it has existed for a long time, because Scala existed for a long time.

Since the world is transformable, then maybe Odin handed Scala off to Eraqus and he turned it into LoD like it's the inside of a tardis.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

I will concede to that logic only because with Nomura anything is possible. His message for the release of DR just cements my feelings that his word is only good for the current game/convenience.

Awards
I'm positive there was some sort of Ragnarok like event that wiped out Scala ad Caelum. Maybe Odin foresaw it coming and created Land of Depture so Scala ad Caelum would leave behind some sort of legacy.

Depending on when the apocalypse happened maybe Aqua and Terra were residents of Scala before the world was destroyed
If that were true, then Baldr would die before Odin, just like in Norse mythology..

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I blame Kratos. First he killed every Greek god that wasn't Zeus/Hades/Apollo/Athena, now he's coming for Odin's crew.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I blame Kratos. First he killed every Greek god that wasn't Zeus/Hades/Apollo/Athena, now he's coming for Odin's crew.
Not Kratos fault that the gods are massive jerks. Speaking of which, I cannot WAIT for GOW2 (5). Man that Odin teaser was hype as hell!

/ontopic I'm curious what event could have happened to Odin and crew. I mean, they're obviously gacha fanfic characters in the same vein as Fire Emblem Heroes' Norse themed characters, but they also are now part of the KH Character crew. Did they get time displaced? Outright killed (death is something we will absolutely see more of thanks to KH3)? Sent to other worldlines? Power of Waking themselves out of existence to save Xehanort and Eraqus?

Noivern

Awards
I finally took my time to check out Dark Road after postponing for a while. I absolutely hate Xehanort and Eraqus so I really did not want to get into a game all about those two, but I love KH way too much to avoid it, so here I am with my first impressions and current thoughts.

1. The Xehanort from this game is.. quite a surprise. He's not like the clown that was YX from DDD/KH3, being more like a refined version of the one from the chess games in 3, which I like.. but I really did NOT want to like a version of Xehanort, at all.

2. I wasn't sure what to expect of the rest of the class, but seeing them in action pretty much answered my questions: they're just generic sideliners. Their designs are cool, but in a generic brand of way; they all look like player characters from X/UX. I only really made that connection on what irked me about them when I saw their armors and realized they're just modified versions of the union armors from the previous game. That coupled with the implication that they are all dead makes me worried about their roles at all, but since this is only the first chapter I'm gonna withhold from making further assumptions as all could change. Personality wise, none of them made a proper impression on this first chapter; I don't really remember them besides Bragi (?) being the smartass.

3. I'm REEEALLY interested in this whole class-perspective and how it seems like they are finally going to explain some aspects of the franchise that had always been left open to interpretation, like the flow of time in the worlds. I hope that wasn't a one time kind of thing and we can see more of that going forward.

4. I absolutely loved Scala ever since it was first revealed, but I love it even more now with the revelation of the abandoned lands and the implication that the world is quite big and no one really knows everything about it past the ocean. Out of all the hub worlds we've had in the franchise so far, it's easily my favorite one taking the spot from KH2's Radiant Garden. I love the imposing castle, the white marble aesthetic inspired by greece, the vast blue ocean and the ruins of forgotten lands. I hope we get to see a lot of it and that they go back to explore those abandoned parts.

5. I'm really invested in who Baldr might be and what fate is reserved to this character, as well as the upperclassmen. One of them is most likely going to be Luxu, but that still leaves us with 7 "new" characters to expand the mythos. While some of them are definitely going to be faces we already know, I hope we get more cool designs.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm so sorry this took so long, guys. I hope you enjoy the work we did anyway, and I promise I will be more on the ball for the next updates >:)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm so sorry this took so long, guys. I hope you enjoy the work we did anyway, and I promise I will be more on the ball for the next updates >:)

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤💕💕💕💖💖💖💖❤❤❤💖💕💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💕💕💕💕💕💕

Do not apologize! Thank you for your hard work 💓💓💓

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
DistortedWellwornFalcon-small.gif

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Just "marathon"-watched the translated vids. I'm just crossing my fingers they handle this better than Union X. As much as I like characters like Ephemer and Skuld, the way they have been handled in terms of focus was disappointing compared to what potential there is/was, same goes for poor Ven and Strelitzia.

Awesome as always. Many thanks goldpanner. 💝

Don't worry about the time. The constant quality makes worth the wait. 😄

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Working the little bit I have been on translations and looking at the base dialogue and the way SENA's handled it, it's actually a really concise and competent translation for Dark Road. They take a lot of the Japanese awkwardness out of it.

Fucking baby talk.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Yeah, the official DR translation is really well done, leagues better than UX imo. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yes, the official DR translation is how it should be done. I think I've said it before..

JP to English translation is as much art as science. ^^ Making it make sense, keeping any jokes and making them make sense in English, etc.

Maybe they got some of the XIV translators to help out, I sure hope so since anyone who plays XIV can tell you that the translators not only nail it good, they KILL it. ^^ In a good way I mean. Rocks the house there.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Yes, the official DR translation is how it should be done. I think I've said it before..

JP to English translation is as much art as science. ^^ Making it make sense, keeping any jokes and making them make sense in English, etc.

Maybe they got some of the XIV translators to help out, I sure hope so since anyone who plays XIV can tell you that the translators not only nail it good, they KILL it. ^^ In a good way I mean. Rocks the house there.

Nah, it's the same staff as UX lol

zander1995

Awards
While some decisions in UX are odd, a think a lot of the issues come from the really rough start (and inconsistency in Medal Effects caused by using multiple translators and the terminology being updated over time). Later stuff really isn't bad, just with a few decisions here and there that people don't like.

They probably went with lifeboat because it's not confirmed if that's a Proper KH Term or just a generic way to describe the machine based on its function, and if it is a proper term, they can always introduce a more proper name and refer to it by both once it becomes important.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They probably went with lifeboat because it's not confirmed if that's a Proper KH Term or just a generic way to describe the machine based on its function, and if it is a proper term, they can always introduce a more proper name and refer to it by both once it becomes important.

Uh... what you're suggesting here is that they're translating blindly and didn't bother to consult the writers, people they have access to, about their intentions. People may have their gripes with the quality of localization work in this series but I doubt the translators would be so irresponsible as to do that.

Edit: You know what, I take that back. After the nonsense answer we got from Nomura about Special Attack Bonus, that is entirely possible.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Edit: You know what, I take that back. After the nonsense answer we got from Nomura about Special Attack Bonus, that is entirely possible.

I'm thinking it was this exact question that probably caused the translation quality to spike up. Nomura seemed very caught off guard by the whole question which might explain the weird answer we got xD

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm thinking it was this exact question that probably caused the translation quality to spike up. Nomura seemed very caught off guard by the whole question which might explain the weird answer we got xD

"Perhaps Special Attack Bonus is abbreviated to Guilt"

lol

Back