• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts Dark Road details revealed

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Kind of tired, just woke up. This is exactly what I expected. A game that uses the UX graphics seeing that we knew it was by the same team, happy that they didn't just reuse the battle system of UX, though didn't expect that they both launched from the same app (unfortunate seeing that my phone doesn't have enough space to download UX) also glad because maybe the staff can make a better balanced game this time.

Knew that the fans would be disappointed but it's nothing new. Still irritated that people are blaming Nomura for this, when this is the only way he was ever going to put this story out. Square shut the first version of this down after all, and I'd rather a mobile game than not have it at all. Also yes, this is a cheap alternative to actually making a new game; that's probably why Square greenlit it.

Emblem Heartless are back (?) development picture, but they could have used Shadows if they wanted to though it might just be an oversight or placeholder. If they are Emblem Heartless, it might have something to do with the fact that the emblem in KH3 can be seen in Scala ad Caelum as a part of their Language so it could be that Xehanort used a previously existing symbol on those Heartless. Iunno.

I think more than ever with KH3’s success, Nomura had more than enough sway to pitch a Xehanort game to SE. It’s not like they needed to go as big as KH3. They could have easily kept it as a budgeted game with the old look, but just kept it more polished. Or made a 0.2 type game reusing KH3 and 0.2 assets if they wanted to go with the new style.

...And maybe he did and this is what SE offered him. You are right about that. I don’t agree with people being personally mad at Nomura but I do think it is fair enough to point some blame at him if they are reusing Emblem Heartless and Agrabah and it’s tied to a game people have ...it just seems lazy.

We can definitely say that the KH series took the dark road.
I knew this would happen... what a let down, anyway. Well, as many others I won't invest my time in this kind of game and will follow the story on youtube instead.
I really hope this thing doesn't succeed and more and more people keep leaving Union X. I hate all gacha games in existence. I never wanted KH to follow this path, but X/UX paved the way and here we are. And it will get worse until people stop playing these things so that they are not profitable anymore.
Please Square, start development of DDD2 or whatever the next proper game is and forget about smartphone games forever.

There are multiple KH projects in development by four teams (DR is one). One will be announced sooner rather than later.

Ryuman

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Considering they have those other new projects, I don't think another (albiet smaller) console game was really on the table for this. Especially when it was the UX team who apparently approached Nomura about doing this.

PARACOSMIC-M

My imaginary magic fishpond in the back yard
So, not to downplay your concerns, but, wouldn't all the KH games then be barely accessible to people with such handicaps? After all, reflexes and timing are kind of salient gameplay aspects of this series—I don't really know how you get through them without being at least a little capable with regards to reflexes/speed. I can't imagine that the "speed/reflex" timing they're talking about here is much more intensive than the kind demanded of those playing the main games.

Got ninja’d by Oracle, but even though there’s a lot of speed and timing requirements, if you play the game on easy it’s not impossible! You’re right about the games being barely accessible though. In my case, KH is only playable because most of the time you can get by using one button >< KH3 was actually the first game I ever beat, and even easy mode was pretty physically taxing.
But even if the main games aren’t that accessible, people with disabilities still enjoy kh and games like it. Before I found a way to play it myself, other people helped me. From what I’ve seen mobile games tend to be more accessible because of the turn based battle system, which gives people plenty of time and doesn’t need a lot of gestures. UX was like that, and playing on my own was fun. I was just concerned I might need assistance again for Dark Road.

There's an auto option for battle. That might make things easier for those with disabilities? But without playing we ultimately don't know if it will be fully accessible :(

Having auto battle like UX should help a lot with accessibility! Good to know they’re keeping that, thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Per this thread and Twitter, reception for this game is horrendous. I think it may change once we get to see more about the story and gameplay. I'll definitely give the game a try.

AR829038

Awards
Got ninja’d by Oracle, but even though there’s a lot of speed and timing requirements, if you play the game on easy it’s not impossible! You’re right about the games being barely accessible though. In my case, KH is only playable because most of the time you can get by using one button >< KH3 was actually the first game I ever beat, and even easy mode was pretty physically taxing.
But even if the main games aren’t that accessible, people with disabilities still enjoy kh and games like it. Before I found a way to play it myself, other people helped me. From what I’ve seen mobile games tend to be more accessible because of the turn based battle system, which gives people plenty of time and doesn’t need a lot of gestures. UX was like that, and playing on my own was fun. I was just concerned I might need assistance again for Dark Road.

Damn. Sorry you have to deal with that.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Please Square, start development of DDD2 or whatever the next proper game is and forget about smartphone games forever.
This. I'm still a little curious about Xehanort's backstory, but for now I'm ready for DDD2 (hopefully with Kairi) I'm just not into mobile games. I'm one of those rare people that only uses their phone for making phone calls lol, so this doesn't appeal to me. But at the same time I feel like I'm missing out on so much KH lore. I barely know what's going on in Union X beyond the major plot points. I don't know much about the character's personalities so far so I don't feel that connected to them as I should, and that makes me sad given they'll likely be in KH4 and I don't even have a favorite yet :(

And their bringing back battle cards? I sucked at Re:Chain of Memories. I had to Youtube it because I couldn't grasp the concept of cards, so bringing something similar to that intimidates me.

ZinC Podzzz

Awards
Oh gosh this already seems like it will be confusing. How are there emblem heartless? Is it some weird "this is a copy of the original story but it's not exactly the same but still the same" like KHUx again? I feel like they could have come up with some more original worlds and heartless.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
All Heartless come from Darkness, and have no physical bodies by default
So they're time traveling :^)

I'm kidding but like, this is a very real possibility for why Heartless are in UX/Daybreak Town at all. Remember when your Foreteller said it felt like someone was bringing the Heartless there?
Agh, me no want!

I have two guesses.
1. They won't.
2. This could take place back during Eraqus and Xehanort's exam days, and one of the Secret Reports by Xehanort stated that one of the exercises they went through was to go through the worlds of the ancient Keyblade wielders from the Union X days. Maybe this means the Book of Prophecies is around at this time, and maybe it conjures up those worlds (and the Emblem Heartless) from the future just as it did during Union X.
I'm thinking it's 2. I've also been thinking maybe Dark Road will have Xehanort getting hold of the book and this is how he was able to accomplish all the things he did later.

ZinC Podzzz

Awards
I'd like to know how the heck they're gonna explain how there's Emblem Heartless around...
Exactly! I mean, they're smart! Couldn't they have come up with something more interesting and simple? Maybe just new kinds of pure blood heartless or even a new enemy type. Maybe it could be a new thing, and by the end of it Xehanort defeats the source of it and that's why we wouldn't see them in future games. Just something that makes sense and that you won't have to make a new rule or explanation for!

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Seems like a desperate way of having new fans installing the Union X app to play Dark Road and hope one day they try Union Cross too, so Square can suck more money from the fanbase. The only cool thing is that we can play with young Eraqus and young Xehanort, but everything about this is so boring that's still a no from me.

I will be following the main story updates on youtube whenever they get released..One day they will remake this as movie for PS5 ou PS6 anyway...

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
*sigh* ... I just... I mean... well... god, I got the biggest headache reading this.

Does... does Noruma care? Like, does he actually care about any of this? I'm not saying giving what the fans want and only that but the way he's telling this story; is this truly the best he and his team can do with this material?

I dont know. I REALLY don't want to sound ungrateful because I love this series. I really do. I just spent the last six hours STILL trying to beat Yozora and still failing miserably because I enjoy KH that much. I liked KH3 despite it's still many glaring issues that Noruma seems to want to ignore. But there's still some genuine merit left for this series and it's not like these mobile games are easy to make. Clearly, the devs still work hard on these games...but good lord man... what the actual ....

I'll admit, maybe I'm being slightly dramatic but man, I'm generally more optimistic about KH then most fans I listen or talk too. Even when I have problems, I still find ways to have fun with this series for what it is. I even had my fun with UX despite its darker moments but this is just... this just left biggest taste of "you've got to be kidding me" in my mouth. Like, I'm honestly baffled.

Why are we doing this? And especially like this? Do they not know that UX's numbers are just going down for VERY obvious reasons. Do they not know that this whole thing would be much better off and probably more successful as an online MMO console game with a complete story we don't have to wait months for and without having like three or four different versions of it? A Xehanort game that doesn't included a card system that NO ONE asked for?

Look, I'm still a fan, I dont think I'm anywhere near abandoning the series because there are things the recent entries have done right and at the end of the day, they don't really owe us anything. If this is how they want to tell the story, fine. You do you but I'm gonna be honest, this is making me worried for the future of this series and this is already on top of a lot of questionable decisions the series is already making.

Could this be fun? I honestly doubt it. If this is a way for them to breathe some new life into UX, this is a horrible strategy. I can't see this doing anything but pissing people off. Say what you want about the impossibility of a console version of UX and A Xehanort game but those titles would've been far more well received and garnered some actual hype this whatever the hell this is. This just does not look fun at all.

And if this is all just for money, then again, this is not a good strategy. Because the only people playing UX are hardcore fans and even they are getting sick of it. And now you add this on top of that. Sure, a console version of these games would cost a pretty penny but I have no doubt in my mind that they would have a higher percentage of getting its money back then this.

I don't know what more I can say about it, this is just mind boggling. This is the first thing in KH that I can honestly say that I really hate. And I know, I havent played the game yet and I'm not going too. I honestly see no reason for this game to exist in it's current form and its gameplay system is a HUGE turn-off.

Holy mother of God and I thought the whole Yozora thing was really unnecessary and one of the possible bad signs of where this series is going but that has some genuine intrigue, at the very least (and a pretty fun boss fight.) This is just... *sigh* what are we doing...?

Well, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. At least it'll make for some nice YT videos.
I saw the Yozora stuff as an actual breath of fresh air coming to the future of Kingdom Hearts. What is everyone's problem with Versus XIII anyway? Yeah it was never finished, but it looked interesting.

Compared to this shoehorned mobile focus, it seems like a genius idea lol.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
My excitement died with the screenshots, this looks like just another soft reboot of KHUX. Maybe some old features from KHX return with the cards like fully explorable worlds, but I'm not too optimistic.

That Starlight variant of the Master's Defender though, I'm a bit intrigued to say the least.

Last edited:

GreyouTT

Awards
I saw the Yozora stuff as an actual breath of fresh air coming to the future of Kingdom Hearts. What is everyone's problem with Versus XIII anyway? Yeah it was never finished, but it looked interesting.

I find it kinda funny that the fanbase just spent a year complaining about the lack of Final Fantasy, and some are now complaining about stuff from an FF game getting combined into KH.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Here's my issue... it seems very forced in a lot of different ways.

I'm not saying it doesn't have ANYTHING going for it because there is some stuff like I about it. For one thing, which is the saving grace for me, I like Yozora's character. I like his attitude and I'm curious about his backstory. I love his weapon designed and it seems to have something to do with his red eye, which gives me more reason to be interested in his character.

But the things that bother me... for one thing, its his design. I'm honestly shocked this is not a bigger issue for other fans but he pretty much looks like Riku with slightly different features. So much so, the game itself even points it out and it bothers me so much. It's already bad enough that we have two different characters that look exactly like each other with no interaction about it whatsoever. This just reeks of that. It just runs me the wrong the way way that Noruma pretty much didnt bother give him a different look altogether. Maybe there's a purpose, I don't know, which is why I'm holding back my criticism a little bit but still. And if according to the secret episode, if that's not what he actually looks, then what was the point of making him like Riku and not give me a different design?

Another problem is his backstory. While I find it interesting, clearly Noruma is still salty about what about what happened with FFv13 and I honestly don't blame him. I'm glad he has a chance to do his story but I have a big fear that its inky to backfire. FFV13 and Kingdom Hearts are two completely different games, conceptually and tonally. I just feel like merging these two things together requires precise storytelling that I don't know if Noruma is up to the task for. I like Noruma as a storyteller but this doesnt feel like a genuine direction for the story of Kingdom Hearts. It feels like he's forcing a story and character into a franchise that doesnt need it.

And this speaks to why I have mixed feelings on this Worldline aspect of the story because I feel like the only reason its included is so that he can include Yozora without having to explain anything deeper. Because removing it from the story doesn't change anything about the foretellers storyline, which is why I feel like its really unnecessary as a plot point. And speaking of the Foretellers, I don't know what Yozora has anything to do with UX at all. It's different from Roxas or Xenmas or YX where they feel mysterious but also they can tie into the overall story in a way that makes sense in different types of theories. Yozora feels VERY different. He feels completely seperate from everything that going on. And you would think Luxord being included would help with that but that just makes things even more confusing. How and why is Luxord there if he is part of the ancient Keyblade era? So is Yozora not from a different worldline and if he is, how did Luxord gain the ability to universe hop?

There are just a lot of aspects about Yozora that really leave me with mixed feelings but I'm willing to see what happens.

Last edited:

PikaPal

Awards
I can't wait to go to Agrabah again, pointlessly run around for 10 "story" quests and smack enemies with my rock-paper-scissors ptw cards!

ALADDIN: "Hey there Xehanort, Abu has gone missing again! Can you help me out and spend the next 300 or so chapters searching for him?"

Xehanort sighs.

XEHANORT: "Ah shit, here we go again!"

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think more than ever with KH3’s success, Nomura had more than enough sway to pitch a Xehanort game to SE. It’s not like they needed to go as big as KH3. They could have easily kept it as a budgeted game with the old look, but just kept it more polished. Or made a 0.2 type game reusing KH3 and 0.2 assets if they wanted to go with the new style.

...And maybe he did and this is what SE offered him. You are right about that. I don’t agree with people being personally mad at Nomura but I do think it is fair enough to point some blame at him if they are reusing Emblem Heartless and Agrabah and it’s tied to a game people have ...it just seems lazy.

There are multiple KH projects in development by four teams (DR is one). One will be announced sooner rather than later.
A console Xehanort game using KH3 assets could have also been done to appease other stuff fans were looking for in KH3: Disney boss fights. If Xehanort is still a good guy, he could have actually fought villains. Nomura could have even got Jungle Book into the game. I wouldn't expect the worlds Xehanort visits to be as big as KH3's own, but I just wish Xehanort actually got a real game. I don't know if Nomura is the one that chose a mobile game for Xehanort, but he should have been thinking in the long term. If he could make a Xehanort 0.2 type game a success, then maybe he could get a spinoff game for his love Yozora down the line. Even without much info or history with Yozora, I can imagine Nomura never giving Yozora the mobile game treatment and begging for a full console game which makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back