• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts doesnt have many female characters tbh ngl

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
If Disney ever takes kh from Nomura, the series will definitely get a lot worse, but one positive of that happening is that we would get better female characters.
I don't think it's a guarantee that it would get worse. less unpredictable and out there probably, but that doesn't mean it would get worse. Disney does produce a lot of very good and successful products, I have the feeling they'd manage to continue KH successfully even with someone new in charge. It just might no longer appeal to the same people as before.

I do think the female character treatment would improve, but it really depends on how they'd go about it.

If they just give control over to another Shonen like writer, it's unlikely to improve seeing many modern Shonen struggle with female characters just like they did 10 years ago. While I think the writing for girls in Shonen has improved again a bit, they still don't get to be very active.
My Hero Accademia for example has a lot of very interesting and skilled female heroes in training that are always pushed aside for the male characters. Demon Slayer had some good female support characters, but they were never given much focus. A side from Promised Neverland I can't really think of any recent Shonen I read where the female characters get to take the center stage as much as the male ones do.

And I'm not sure how an American writer would deal with KH's more esoteric themes. That said Kingdom Hearts already shares a lot of similarities to Comics, so maybe someone from their Marvel or Star Wars department could actually carry the torch to a degree.

D

Deleted member 246005

In hindsight, I would've had Relena be friends with Isa and Lea back on Radiant gardens. It parallels Sora/Riku/Kairi and allows you to explore what happened when a friendship fails. That would fit a Lea prequel rather than what Days ended up as.

A Lea prequel set before the first game, exploring what the Organization got up to before the 1st game. Having Lea go through a negative change arc would've been cool to see. Isa and Relena could be playable characters and parallel subplots. Having them start as friends and fall apart over the years is a way to bookend it.

All in all, Larxene is fine. She just needs more to do than being a henchwoman.

@AdrianXXII
Someone with a fantasy background would be preferable. If they've written for middle school or Teen audiences before, that also would help.

The guys who did the recent Voltron series would be interesting. I was a bigger fan of Digimon as a kid so they'd be a good fit. Tamers was my favorite so getting that team would be a dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
In hindsight, I would've had Relena be friends with Isa and Lea back on Radiant gardens. It parallels Sora/Riku/Kairi and allows you to explore what happened when a friendship fails. That would fit a Lea prequel rather than what Days ended up as.

A Lea prequel set before the first game, exploring what the Organization got up to before the 1st game. Having Lea go through a negative change arc would've been cool to see. Isa and Relena could be playable characters and parallel subplots. Having them start as friends and fall apart over the years is a way to bookend it.

All in all, Larxene is fine. She just needs more to do than being a henchwoman.

@AdrianXXII
Someone with a fantasy background would be preferable. If they've written for middle school or Teen audiences before, that also would help.

The guys who did the recent Voltron series would be interesting. I was a bigger fan of Digimon as a kid so they'd be a good fit. Tamers was my favorite so getting that team would be a dream.
When you say Relena, do you mean Elrena? Cuz if you do, I actually like the idea of Lea, Elrena and Isa/Lauriam, being a counter part for the other trios as a group of friends that fell a part and kind of ended up dragging each other down. Feeding into each others worse impulses upon becoming nobodies. Sticking together because they're "friends", while no longer really knowing what that means or feels like.

A fantasy background honestly is less fitting then a star wars or marvel background in my opinion, seeing KH has way more in common with those than your typical fantasy story. The writer would have to be able to navigate the splitting narratives and retcons, which are pretty common in comics. Plus both Marvel and Star Wars have had their share of stories involving clones, replicas, possession, fake deaths, Dark vs Light and alternative dimensions, so it's probably not be hard for someone of that background to get a feel for it.
Not that I don't think a Fantasy writer could do that, but when I think Kingdom Hearts I don't really think fantasy, at least not in the more common sense.

D

Deleted member 246005

When you say Relena, do you mean Elrena? Cuz if you do, I actually like the idea of Lea, Elrena and Isa/Lauriam, being a counter part for the other trios as a group of friends that fell a part and kind of ended up dragging each other down. Feeding into each others worse impulses upon becoming nobodies. Sticking together because they're "friends", while no longer really knowing what that means or feels like.

A fantasy background honestly is less fitting then a star wars or marvel background in my opinion, seeing KH has way more in common with those than your typical fantasy story. The writer would have to be able to navigate the splitting narratives and retcons, which are pretty common in comics. Plus both Marvel and Star Wars have had their share of stories involving clones, replicas, possession, fake deaths, Dark vs Light and alternative dimensions, so it's probably not be hard for someone of that background to get a feel for it.
Not that I don't think a Fantasy writer could do that, but when I think Kingdom Hearts I don't really think fantasy, at least not in the more common sense.
I didn't keep up with Union X. So if it's Elrena instead of Relena, no big deal. I prefer Relena tho....;)

Adding Lauriam and Myde to the group is fine. The number order of the Org tends to be arbitrary anyway. That could be the opening level. There is a mini game tournament and the rankings define the number they took.

Modern Fantasy stories deal with more abstract concepts and metaphors. Which is what I feel Nomura is trying to tackle with mixed results.

I'm not against Marvel and Star Wars writers tackling Kingdom Hearts. I'm just trying to provide a more focused criteria. Marvel and Star Wars comics cover a wide range of genres and age ranges. There are plenty of writers who are a good fit and many who are a bad fit.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I didn't keep up with Union X. So if it's Elrena instead of Relena, no big deal. I prefer Relena tho....;)

Adding Lauriam and Myde to the group is fine. The number order of the Org tends to be arbitrary anyway. That could be the opening level. There is a mini game tournament and the rankings define the number they took.

Modern Fantasy stories deal with more abstract concepts and metaphors. Which is what I feel Nomura is trying to tackle with mixed results.

I'm not against Marvel and Star Wars writers tackling Kingdom Hearts. I'm just trying to provide a more focused criteria. Marvel and Star Wars comics cover a wide range of genres and age ranges. There are plenty of writers who are a good fit and many who are a bad fit.
I honestly am surprised that with KH's obsession with Trios that we never got any bad or evil trios. Closes we ever got wat Vanitas, Xehanort and Braig.

I'm not really familiar with too many contemporary modern fantasy stories (that aren't animated), but I could see there being a few writers that would be able to do a good take on KH.

Honestly the wide range of genres and age ranges is why I think the pool of writers might be better suited than most genre writers, but of course like you said not all are good fits.

Now I'm kind of curious to see different creative's pitch for their version of a KH game/story.

Willow A113

Awards
I honestly am surprised that with KH's obsession with Trios that we never got any bad or evil trios. Closes we ever got wat Vanitas, Xehanort and Braig.

I'm not really familiar with too many contemporary modern fantasy stories (that aren't animated), but I could see there being a few writers that would be able to do a good take on KH.

Honestly the wide range of genres and age ranges is why I think the pool of writers might be better suited than most genre writers, but of course like you said not all are good fits.

Now I'm kind of curious to see different creative's pitch for their version of a KH game/story.
What about Ansem, Xemnas, and Youmg Xehenort?

D

Deleted member 246005

I'm not sure Disney would bring in Marvel to work on KH outside of comics. Mostly because Marvel Comics writers don't really work outside of the Comics side. Unless they already have screenwriting experience etc.

The movies used to bring in the writers but they got more seperate over the years.

So they are more likely to give it to other video game developers. Who are more likely to reboot it/tweak it etc than keep the existing stuff.

We could even get a SpiderGwen setup with Kairi as the protagonist instead of Sora. Which could be fun but Kairi isn't that compelling. So they'd have their work cut out for them.

I prefer TAV than SRK so I think Aqua is pretty good. Her main problem was just pacing issues that plague the Xehanort saga.

If BBS wasn't a prequel, I'd just have her be more of antagonistic role. It would shake things up more. Plus its more fun if fans were wrong about the parallels.

She's probably the easiest to spinoff. Have her try to train Max Goof and Webby while dealing with Keyblade Master responsibilities.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
We could even get a SpiderGwen setup with Kairi as the protagonist instead of Sora. Which could be fun but Kairi isn't that compelling. So they'd have their work cut out for them.

I prefer TAV than SRK so I think Aqua is pretty good. Her main problem was just pacing issues that plague the Xehanort saga.

If BBS wasn't a prequel, I'd just have her be more of antagonistic role. It would shake things up more. Plus its more fun if fans were wrong about the parallels.

She's probably the easiest to spinoff. Have her try to train Max Goof and Webby while dealing with Keyblade Master responsibilities.
Oh I have a few ideas for a Kairi "What If" version of KH1, she has a lot of the building blocks of a lead character, they'd just have to be used.

Aqua definitely seems like the easiest to spin off into her own branch of KH. While connected to the rest of the cast, she's not as entangled in their stories as the others. And is a bit more unique than her friends, as she doesn't parallel Kairi quite as much as Terra and Ven parallel Riku and Sora.

D

Deleted member 246005

Oh I have a few ideas for a Kairi "What If" version of KH1, she has a lot of the building blocks of a lead character, they'd just have to be used.

Aqua definitely seems like the easiest to spin off into her own branch of KH. While connected to the rest of the cast, she's not as entangled in their stories as the others. And is a bit more unique than her friends, as she doesn't parallel Kairi quite as much as Terra and Ven parallel Riku and Sora.
I'll take your word for it, pal.

Before Dark Road was announced, I thought it be cool if Eraqus and Xehanort's mentor was a woman. Just approaching it like that would work wonders.

Guernsey

Awards
Kingdom Hearts isn't just a shonen series, it is also a Japanese RPG series complete with Japanese RPG tropes. Even if we found a western writer that can write for Kingdom Hearts, I am not sure if there is any writer that capture Square Enix's brand of weirdness. I could be wrong, there might be someone who capture the weirdness of the Square Enix games but I am not sure and Kingdom Hearts has tropes that can only be featured in JRPG game. The tradeoff is that the female characters would better handled and would have great character development but it would be really different from what we are used to.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts isn't just a shonen series, it is also a Japanese RPG series complete with Japanese RPG tropes. Even if we found a western writer that can write for Kingdom Hearts, I am not sure if there is any writer that capture Square Enix's brand of weirdness. I could be wrong, there might be someone who capture the weirdness of the Square Enix games but I am not sure and Kingdom Hearts has tropes that can only be featured in JRPG game. The tradeoff is that the female characters would better handled and would have great character development but it would be really different from what we are used to.
There are plenty of JRPGs and shonens filled to the brim with tropes that don't treat women as vapid stereotypes and tools in furtherance of men. To say that KH can't achieve that without changing its DNA is insulting.

RonaldPoe

Awards
I'd argue with the exception of Kairi (I'll go into details about her), Olette (she's unremarkable as hell) and Namine (I dislike her for being bland and getting off too easy for COM), KH has a decent female cast. The opening post and thread title came across to me as clear trolling but this discussion has lasted 3 pages. I'd even say KH has a far stronger female cast than Final Fantasy XV (very few female characters in general but the only strong one is Aranea Highwind).

I feel Kairi is probably the most problematic KH character. She hasn't worked for the series since the first game (where she was more sassy and interesting) and nothing came out of her few pushes. It's like Nomura doesn't know what to do with her or how to write a princess in general (princess characters can be strong and interesting). At least Xion is sympathetic and as strong (if not stronger) as Saix (people forget always this).

We've got some strong female characters like Skuld, Ava, Aqua, and Larxene. Aqua's lesser showings in KH3 could easily be due to PTSD (this is implied in ReMind). A lot of series have more male than female characters.

Guernsey

Awards
There are plenty of JRPGs and shonens filled to the brim with tropes that don't treat women as vapid stereotypes and tools in furtherance of men. To say that KH can't achieve that without changing its DNA is insulting.

Good Point.

Back