• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance Volume II: The Search for More Money

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
I am suggesting that it's easier to have a better story and better gameplay with more tech.

Gameplay, maybe (Re:Coded's was incredibly similar to BBS, they probably could have carbon copied it if they so chose), but a story has nothing to do with the tech. Maybe with how the story is presented (ie, voice acting, cutscenes), but to repeat myself, CoM was all text, but I think it has the best story in the entire series. I found the story in Re:CoM (full voice acting, cutscenes, the works) pretty much the same in terms of enjoyability as its GBA counterpart, despite being on a system several times more powerful.

Ronove

Well, Re:coded feels like a gimped version of BBS(Primarily due to those limitations I mentioned earlier)

As for story, Re:Chain is a remake, remakes should strive to be on a similar level to the original. That's part of the whole philosophy of a remake really.

But in the end, I think I win out on gameplay absolutely. And as for story I'm not saying you can't have a great story on the gba, but rather that on more powerful systems you can simply do more.

More options, more raw potential, you see.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
And as for story I'm not saying you can't have a great story on the gba, but rather that on more powerful systems you can simply do more.

Again, I still feel you're talking about how a game is presented, and even that has little to do with the actual story. Games like Chrono Trigger have a better narrative than some of the best RPGs on the PS3. The best writers for a video game could write a novel and get the same result, or, even further back, a spoken tale like The Odyssey.

Gameplay, however, I don't deny has the potential to be better on higher tech platforms, but nothing in the KH series yet has been so complex that it requires a higher tech platform, not even BBS. Even then, it all depends how you use your resources. While the PS3 has the potential to do more with gameplay than, say, the NES, a lot of times the NES uses its limitations so well that gameplay turns out better than most modern day counterparts.

I find Super Mario Bros. 3 a far more fulfilling and exciting gameplay experience than Little Big Planet, for example (graphics aside, obviously, but that's not gameplay).

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Yeah, despite Days "reputation" of being called a horrible and unnecessary game to KH, I think it has one of the best stories for a DS game. At least SE put some thought of a story into it, and Nomura didn't think of it while drunk.

There was never a KH game that nomura thought of while drunk, that was just a mistranslation.

Like, I love TWEWY. It's a great game with a really interesting story. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't have been even better on a more advanced system.

We might as well just develop all games for PC then, because there's no point in using weaker consoles

Ronove

I'd be down for that. The trouble is that not many people play on the PC, as much as I'd like them to. But enough people own either a PS3, 360, or some console more advance than the DS.

shadywinters

Awards
Basically all it's going to do is raise new questions and push us further and further from the true answers that we seek. I mean, HELLO we haven't even gotten the answer as to what was in the letter from King Mickey in KHII, and now they want to go back in to the past without first answering previous questions. Now I'm not saying that BBS, 358/2 days, and the others that are based in the past are unnecessary because they give us answers as to how the stuff in the present came to be. But, it doesn't make since to drag the series on without answering the important questions first and leaving us confused. I personally don't like to drag things on for a long time. Does anybody get my point!?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Basically all it's going to do is raise new questions and push us further and further from the true answers that we seek. I mean, HELLO we haven't even gotten the answer as to what was in the letter from King Mickey in KHII, and now they want to go back in to the past without first answering previous questions.

The contents of that letter was revealed in the ending of coded.

Ronove

The letter amounted to : YO JESUSORA BEING MEGUCA IS SUFFERING SO HELP EVERYONE ELSE OUT

EXCEPT FOR XION WHO CARES ABOUT HER?

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

This line would actually hurt your argument depending how you look at it. More options may not necessarily mean that you would choose the more advanced system. Looking at the systems now, the 3DS has both a touch screen, 3D capabilities, and a second screen readily available (the PS3 needs a special TV). Those are more options, but that doesn't mean that a game will be better on the DS. It all depends on what games are going for. Honestly, if you want it to more interactive, I would generally go with a handheld for the better system. The touch screens really do help, but at the same time, motion controllers may help even more than that. The microphone can be really helpful to to make a better game (TWEWY), so it isn't necessarily that just because a game is on a handheld it will be worse, because no offense to what you said about TWEWY, but I have to STRONGLY disagree. A TWEWY that didn't utilize 2 screens, one touch, one D-pad wouldn't be TWEWY. TWEWY's gameplay was so cool because it was so all over the place...something a console system could never get close to doing considering they are missing both the touch screen and the second screen.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I think you misunderstand, Taocha. Nowhere did I say the DS can't have a game with an amazing story. I am suggesting that it's easier to have a better story and better gameplay with more tech.

Like, I love TWEWY. It's a great game with a really interesting story. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't have been even better on a more advanced system.

So I don't think it's unreasonable to want KH games on more advanced systems as opposed to less advanced systems.

Yeaaaah, that's not true. Tech doesn't allow for a better story or even gameplay; as long as something is well written, then no matter what it is going to have a good story. Technology has nothing to do with a good story. And gameplay can be affected by tech, obviously, but technical limitations do not make a game bad. Frankly, the way some games utilized the DS was fantastic and they were the reason why I've had so much fun with that console.

And TWEWY was totally fine on the DS, there is nothing it needed from a more advanced system to make it better, because they implemented the capacity of the system in an interesting and fun way.

And I never said it was unreasonable ever. I'm just saying the console doesn't make the storyline interesting, COM had an incredibly interesting storyline and great character development and it was on the Gameboy Advance.

Key to Truth

Awards
Yeaaaah, that's not true. Tech doesn't allow for a better story or even gameplay; as long as something is well written, then no matter what it is going to have a good story. Technology has nothing to do with a good story. And gameplay can be affected by tech, obviously, but technical limitations do not make a game bad. Frankly, the way some games utilized the DS was fantastic and they were the reason why I've had so much fun with that console.

And TWEWY was totally fine on the DS, there is nothing it needed from a more advanced system to make it better, because they implemented the capacity of the system in an interesting and fun way.

And I never said it was unreasonable ever. I'm just saying the console doesn't make the storyline interesting, COM had an incredibly interesting storyline and great character development and it was on the Gameboy Advance.

Tech does indeed "limit" how a story can be told or delivered. Sometimes some things cannot be done in a system the way it was thought and they have to totally change it to fit the console's standards. So, yeah, it does affect the gameplay and story... but a game can have a good story regardless of the power of the system.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
The power of proper animation is being vastly under-appreciated in this thread. >.>

Squenix's animators are top-notch, and their skill makes it much easier to emotionally connect with the characters in their games. The Vita's ability to use fully-animated character models all the time instead of switching off between great animation and pixel-face is reason enough for its existence to me. =P

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Tech does indeed "limit" how a story can be told or delivered. Sometimes some things cannot be done in a system the way it was thought and they have to totally change it to fit the console's standards. So, yeah, it does affect the gameplay and story... but a game can have a good story regardless of the power of the system.

I firmly believe that if you write the story well enough that the technical limitations of a console won't hinder the power of the story. But I do understand how elements of a story have to change because of a console's limitations.

@Ikkin; No, I love new animation. DDD looks really good already and I hope it stays that nice.

Ronove

I don't think that is much of a problem really nowadays.

Remember when Majora's Mask was considered to have hyper realistic graphics? Technology marches on, and so does our ability to improve upon all aspects of video games.

But I don't mean to say that great games can't happen on more limited systems. I'm just saying the better the system the more PROBABLE the game is entertaining and enjoyable. That's why I'll maintain that if we could choose a KH game to be on the Vita or the 3DS it would be in our interest as KHfans to choose the Vita.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think it doesn't matter what system it is on. I don't say FFVI's story is crap because it has limited capabilities. :/ A story is a story. Gameplay has no bearing on that, imho.

Ronove

I think it doesn't matter what system it is on. I don't say FFVI's story is crap because it has limited capabilities. :/ A story is a story. Gameplay has no bearing on that, imho.

I'll make things clear because people seem to be misunderstanding me. A game that is developed on a system with outdated specs is not "crap" by virtue of being on the system alone. Many great games can and have been made on systems with technological limitations However, Developers have the potential to do more both in terms of gameplay and story when the game is made on a system with superior hardware

In a nutshell: Better tech means you can do more. Being able to do more means you can have things that a game on an older system can't.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Nobody is misunderstanding you; we just don't agree that a story is better based on the technical aspects of a console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back