• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Release Date + Trailer!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
This is why these HD remasters make me glad. They are a way of unifying the KH fandom.

Well, an attempt...

If only we could get to a point where people stop thinking the KH2FM secret ending was a trailer for KH3 and are still waiting for that game to come out, not realizing that it's BBS...

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
If only we could get to a point where people stop thinking the KH2FM secret ending was a trailer for KH3 and are still waiting for that game to come out, not realizing that it's BBS...
If only they would watch all the way to the end of the ending, to where it says "Birth by Sleep"...

but that's irrelevant.

The more I was this trailer, the more it feels like it was thrown together last minute.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
When I hear someone call KH3D and BBS side games, I want to punch them XD

Probably the most depressing instant was when Nomura referred to everything that isn't KH1 or KH2 as spin-offs, specifically saying that in English.

Of course he had to do it in order to emphasize how IMPORTANT and AMAZING KH3 is, but it still hurt xD

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Probably the most depressing instant was when Nomura referred to everything that isn't KH1 or KH2 as spin-offs, specifically saying that in English.

Of course he had to do it in order to emphasize how IMPORTANT and AMAZING KH3 is, but it still hurt xD
Years of Nomura defending the handheld titles and expressing how important they were.

Then KH3 surfaces and he switches his tune so quickly. :c

The Toketsukage

Years of Nomura defending the handheld titles and expressing how important they were.

Then KH3 surfaces and he switches his tune so quickly. :c

True, I mean once said BBS could be thought as a KH Zero and was on the same level as a numbered title. Then he calls them side games at other points.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards

I don't know, if someone knows better they can correct me, but I think there's a cultural difference between the west and Japan in how we treat "spin-offs." I'm reminded of how Koji "IGA" Igarashi was surprised by North American gamers basically disowning the Castlevania games he called "gaiden." I think some of these game designers don't realize that, to many, many players, "spin-off" means "unnecessary cruft, avoid entirely."

I mean, what marketing team on earth would willingly slap a label saying "Less Useful Than The Original" on their product? That's what "spin-off" means in the West. At least, that's what it means to half the gamers I've ever encountered!

That said, I don't understand his using it with KH in general. I know I'm playing an old tune, but does he not realize how incomprehensible KH3 will be when Sora's off rescuing characters the supposed "core story" never even introduced? And calling Chain of Memories and KH3D "side stories" even though they concern the main cast directly is just a disaster, it's doable but not this way. Your guess that it's just short-sighted marketing splurge is the only thing that makes sense!

Last edited:

The Toketsukage

I don't know, if someone knows better they can correct me, but I think there's a cultural difference between the west and Japan in how we treat "spin-offs." I'm reminded of how Koji "IGA" Igarashi was surprised by North American gamers basically disowning the Castlevania games he called "gaiden." I think some of these game designers realize that, to many, many players, "spin-off" means "unnecessary cruft, avoid entirely."

I mean, what marketing team on earth would willingly slap a label saying "Less Useful Than The Original" on their product? That's what "spin-off" means in the West. At least, that's what it means to half the gamers I've ever encountered!

That said, I don't understand his using it with KH in general. I know I'm playing an old tune, but does he not realize how incomprehensible KH3 will be when Sora's off rescuing characters the supposed "core story" never even introduced? And calling Chain of Memories and KH3D "side stories" even though they concern the main cast directly is just a disaster, it's doable but not this way. Your guess that it's just short-sighted marketing splurge is the only thing that makes sense!

I swear there will be people who play KH3 and will be like "Who's this brown hair guy that looks like the Xehanort dude from that flashback in KH2?" or "Why are there 2 Roxas's?" or "How did Xehanort get so old?"

This is why I wish when it came to BBS they would have just called it KH Zero and put it on PS3 to begin with.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
There will most certainly be. But with the two compilations which are 1.5 and 2.5, hopefully the number of people who fall under this category will be reduced.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I hope you're right, Solo, but since this "spin-off" comment of Nomura that Sign is talking about came after 1.5 was released, I just don't know. This is the reputation we're stuck with, now.

The most enthusiastic KH reviewer I knew of in the professional reviewing scene was still someone who thought the portable games were spinoffs, and that meant they sucked, even though he loved them. The idea of spinoffs sucking is just that insidious. Have you ever seen someone try to say "This is great, too bad the company has said it's not great? I'm so tired of the company releasing these not-great games, even though they are great." They sound absurd. I guess I'm just tired of it.

Last edited:

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The comment... what? It might be me not having been abreast with the news or paid close attention, but I just knew that the comment was made after 1.5's release. I had always thought that it was prior that point of time, and that Nomura had wanted to compile all the games not only to converge them into one system, but emphasise how each and every title is an important puzzle piece required to make sense of KH3.

Well, I wish the company good luck with that. In a rather sarcastic way. Honest to all things bright and beautiful, I believe they had shot themselves in the foot.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
You know, that's familiar. I've never been good with the quotes, but I think he did previously say something like that when hinting that there would be HD collections. Good scrambled god, Square Enix.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Problem is, people are still avoiding the remasters because they "Don't care about the spin-offs or rereleases of old games". I get the latter, perhaps, but people are still under the impression that Square is stalling for KH3 by trying to push the "spin-off" titles on PS3.

Oh well. I feel no sympathy for silly ignorant fans of KH who will be lost in KH3 and get upset. It's understandable if you avoided the handheld games for money reasons or you wrongfully believed them to be unimportant to the main story. But, that's what the remasters are for. For goodness sake, you have SIX KH games all on a single CONSOLE. Not a handheld, a CONSOLE. Just like everyone's been whining about for a long long time.

If you still refuse that, then good luck making sense of KH3.

The Toketsukage

Problem is, people are still avoiding the remasters because they "Don't care about the spin-offs or rereleases of old games". I get the latter, perhaps, but people are still under the impression that Square is stalling for KH3 by trying to push the "spin-off" titles on PS3.

Oh well. I feel no sympathy for silly ignorant fans of KH who will be lost in KH3 and get upset. It's understandable if you avoided the handheld games for money reasons or you wrongfully believed them to be unimportant to the main story. But, that's what the remasters are for. For goodness sake, you have SIX KH games all on a single CONSOLE. Not a handheld, a CONSOLE. Just like everyone's been whining about for a long long time.

If you still refuse that, then good luck making sense of KH3.

Straight up, if you don't go and buy these HD collections and then you complain when KH3 doesn't make sense to you, then I got two words for you "F@CK You" lol. I don't have sympathy for people who choose to be ignorant, no one has time for that. lol

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
He referred to the handheld titles as "spin-offs" at last year's E3 as well.

I don't know, if someone knows better they can correct me, but I think there's a cultural difference between the west and Japan in how we treat "spin-offs." I'm reminded of how Koji "IGA" Igarashi was surprised by North American gamers basically disowning the Castlevania games he called "gaiden." I think some of these game designers don't realize that, to many, many players, "spin-off" means "unnecessary cruft, avoid entirely."

I believe he uses the word "spin-off" to describe something smaller in scale, development time and budget. Hence, everything except KH 1/2/3 is a "spin-off" of sorts. But yeah, that doesn't help him much.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I believe he uses the word "spin-off" to describe something smaller in scale, development time and budget. Hence, everything except KH 1/2/3 is a "spin-off" of sorts. But yeah, that doesn't help him much.

But calling them spin-offs is bad, regardless of what he meant by the phrase. Because typically, spin-off means that it does not pertain to the main storyline at all, and merely borrows mechanics and elements from the series. Based on that definition, there has NEVER been a spin-off or a "side game" in the entirety of KH. Every game is a main entry in the series. So calling them "spin-offs" is like randomly saying that one of the Harry Potter books is just a "side novel" and then you don't read it and miss a chunk of the overall plot.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
But calling them spin-offs is bad, regardless of what he meant by the phrase. Because typically, spin-off means that it does not pertain to the main storyline at all, and merely borrows mechanics and elements from the series. Based on that definition, there has NEVER been a spin-off or a "side game" in the entirety of KH. Every game is a main entry in the series. So calling them "spin-offs" is like randomly saying that one of the Harry Potter books is just a "side novel" and then you don't read it and miss a chunk of the overall plot.

Hey, don't explain it to me, I know what the games are :p

This is just my perception of how Nomura defines "spin-offs".

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards

Well to get technical, Harry Potter does have side-books: the original Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Quidditch Through the Ages, The Tales of Beedle the Bard, and that short prequel she wrote that one time. Unfortunately that's what comes straight to mind with the term "spin-off": a teeny pamphlet book that's half the width, half the height and 1/8th the page count, and completely forgotten when talking about whether or not the series has any side books!

Lnds500's guess is probably right about how Nomura is using the term, but he and Square's marketing department need to realize that people are hearing something very different: "Birth By Sleep is just as important to the overall story as Dumbledore's footnotes for The Wizard and the Hopping Pot."

And let's not even invoke the Dread Terror that is the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Last edited:

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
The dubbed FM scenes give me hope that the Absent Silhouette fights also get dubbed. It`s not a really big deal, but I do hope we get to hear some new battle grunts in English. :)

I`m also tired of people how still wont touch the handheld games, because they don`t have the number 3 on it.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
Would it make any sense if Young Xehanort is the present day Young Xehanort who just time travelled to try and get Young Eraqus to become one of the thirteen seekers of darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back