• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts III Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoecho6

Awards
Imagine a segment where you play as young Isa and young Lea and you witness their whole journey up until we meet them in present time. Using Lea's frisbees instead of a toy sword in the beginning would be fun, I wonder what Isa would use.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I'm honestly looking forward to either a complete unreal engine 4 remake of the Chi story playing as the player character or a prequel story starring young Eraqus, Xehanort, and Yen Sid. For the second one, there would be multiple time skips throughout their lives with landmark events, with espionage led by Eraqus to find out what Xehanort is up to. Watching Eraqus grow into his master status by saving many worlds or combatting darkness in some other way would be so satisfying, and the light-based attacks involving chains would be so damn cool. I would also love to see the scene where Eraqus gets his scar to be expanded on and related to their character development, and maybe even they could show a friendship between the two characters to make the assassination of Eraqus all the more tragic.

Hirokey123

Awards
Leaker talked about Scala again.
Spoiler Spoiler Show
This is exactly what I've been expecting for awhile now.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

maximumlight8

Awards
I honestly have been wondering what will happen if a lot of people have uber expectations for this game, and it doesn't deliver? It makes me think a lot, because I feel like some of the KH tubers have hyped this game up so much, that it;s like people think this game will be impeccable.

Awards
I honestly have been wondering what will happen if a lot of people have uber expectations for this game, and it doesn't deliver? It makes me think a lot, because I feel like some of the KH tubers have hyped this game up so much, that it;s like people think this game will be impeccable.
I dunno, what was KH2's reception when it was released?

ZJGamer

As someone who spent hours a day leading up to the release of KH2 and after the release of KH2 scouring the Internet in regards to that game the overall consensus on KH2 was "It improves upon the original in every way." Which is what I was hoping we would see with KH3, but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case.

For a lot of people too KH2 was their first KH game. I'm surprised that there are people in the fandom that are shocked about how many fans are using KH2 and also KH2FM as the measuring sticks for KH3. I mean I figured that was obvious. In the years leading up to KH3's release people have casually said "Oh imagine how cool the Sephiroth fight will be in KH3." or "Oh imagine how cool the Seeker of Darkness rematches will be in KH3." These were just things that people expect from the series at this point. Maybe KH2FM spoiled us, but that game undoubtedly became the standard for the series after it was released. Even BBS and KH3D were compared to KH2FM, despite them being handheld titles.

I have heard for years people say "As long as KH3 is as good as KH2FM I'll be happy". I'm just shocked that some fans are not aware of how much of impact KH2FM has had on people. I'm surprised Square-Enix and Nomura are apparently unaware of this. They need to have people monitoring the fandom to get an idea of people's expectations.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Really good, could have been better but ultimately very satisfying. Enough so to make everybody want more. It wasn't until maybe a year or so passed that people started really hailing it as the best so far, with every game after kind of reinforcing it.

Awards
Really good, could have been better but ultimately very satisfying. Enough so to make everybody want more. It wasn't until maybe a year or so passed that people started really hailing it as the best so far, with every game after kind of reinforcing it.
Oh...for a second I thought it was incredibly divisive until KH2FM.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Oh...for a second I thought it was incredibly divisive until KH2FM.

Noooooooooo, I remember as a kid it was reviewed really damn well. It wasn't until recently that people started doing a retrospective and criticizing anything like level design. Seriously, the drive forms and other new battle mechanics hypnotized everybody.

ZJGamer

Noooooooooo, I remember as a kid it was reviewed really damn well. It wasn't until recently that people started doing a retrospective and criticizing anything like level design. Seriously, the drive forms and other new battle mechanics hypnotized everybody.

Not to mention KH2 really stretched what the PS2 was capable of. And then KH2FM came along and added more on top of that and people were really impressed. I think that's one thing people now don't realize. Base KH2 still felt complete and fulfilling at the time. KH2FM felt like it came out of nowhere with all of this cool stuff we never knew we wanted, and then that stuff became what a lot of us expected for KH3.

KH3 unlike base KH2 just so far doesn't feel complete on it's own to many people who have chosen to view the leaks. I'm starting to realize though that there is a division in this fanbase between the KH1 to COM to KH2 era fans who have been with the series since that early era, and the fans that jumped on board to the series with 358/2 Days, BBS, and KH3D. And I think the expectations for KH3 are different depending on when each person began playing the series.

lux_crusader

See I recall differently. I remember after the hype died down people really started taking a critical look. FM did a lot to fix some of the issues, but it was largely inaccessible to most fans.

ZJGamer

See I recall differently. I remember after the hype died down people really started taking a critical look. FM did a lot to fix some of the issues, but it was largely inaccessible to most fans.

No what it was is that some people complained about the story being confusing because some people didn't play COM beforehand. Which I have always thought was. B.S. critic of KH2, because let's be honest back in the day EVERYONE and their mother owned a GBA so COM was easily accessible. People back then had no one to blame but themselves for not picking up COM.

If you play KH1 and then COM and then KH2 the story back then was not difficult to follow. It was only after KH2 when so many games began being spread across all these different handhelds that the story got really convoluted.

maximumlight8

Awards
I was very young so I really don't really remember much about those times. I just know that it seems like the KH speed running community has really shown how well developed KH2FM was, and even KHFM in some regards. I sometimes think back to when KH3 was first announced and when a trailer popped it was like "Oh cool" too me. With last year having the game go full throttle in marketing, it really makes me wonder if too much mechanically of the game was shown.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Awards
So basically KH2 was just like this guy back in the day.
6030.jpg

Y'know, treated like the best thing since sliced bread and has been used as the sole comparison for EVERY SINGLE GAME THAT CAME AFTER

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
I'm starting to realize though that there is a division in this fanbase between the KH1 to COM to KH2 era fans who have been with the series since that early era, and the fans that jumped on board to the series with 358/2 Days, BBS, and KH3D. And I think the expectations for KH3 are different depending on when each person began playing the series.

There is somewhat, but it's more complicated than that. I have been playing the series since I was five years old (when the first game came out), and I wouldn't say that KHII was completely fulfilling. Sure, as a kid I loved it, but that's only because I literally couldn't beat any of the games at the time so the experience never ended for me. However, looking back at it, calling the original fulfilling is not exactly my point of view. I own the original PS2 version still, and there's really no reason to go back to it once you've beaten Xemnas. There's maybe the Ultima Weapon to craft, but other than that, maybe the coliseum cups if you haven't completed them, and Sephiroth, there isn't all that much post-game content. There's no reason to play the original with final mix out, it just beats it out in every conceivable way. New story cutscenes, Limit form, heartless recolors, new cups, Mushroom XIII, Roxas battle, two new keyblades, Cavern of Remembrance & Data Battles, Lingering Will... there is no reason that you'd ever go back to the original.

Kingdom Hearts III at least seems polished where they did do work on it, although I somewhat share the disappointment of area size for the original worlds. I'm probably going to spend way more time in Toy Box and The Caribbean than I ever will in Twilight Town, The Realm of Darkness, or The Keyblade Graveyard.

The plot seems to be a lot more satisfying this time around, however, and that's what I'm looking forward to. Now there's ACTUALLY 13 main villains, there's tons of fan-favorite characters, the organization members seem to be actually tied to the worlds they are assigned to, and the universe has had a lot more time to establish rules this time around. Unlike Kingdom Hearts II, which expected people to play a gameboy advance game to understand the first THREE HOURS of their game, Kingdom Hearts III has made it very clear which games you need to have experience with to understand what they're going for this time. They've even included synopses of plot-important elements so that players can be refreshed on certain games and characters, which is super useful since this game is multi-platform.

Honestly, the biggest missed opportunity was the lack of collection ports to Xbox One. I will never understand that decision.

I know I went on a bit of a tangent, but the point is that I don't know what to expect and that I'm more optimistic than other people here that have stuck with us since the beginning. I still have a huge love and optimism for the franchise, although maybe it's a bit more down-to-earth when it comes to Kingdom Hearts II.

ZJGamer

There is somewhat, but it's more complicated than that. I have been playing the series since I was five years old (when the first game came out), and I wouldn't say that KHII was completely fulfilling. Sure, as a kid I loved it, but that's only because I literally couldn't beat any of the games at the time so the experience never ended for me. However, looking back at it, calling the original fulfilling is not exactly my point of view. I own the original PS2 version still, and there's really no reason to go back to it once you've beaten Xemnas. There's maybe the Ultima Weapon to craft, but other than that, maybe the coliseum cups if you haven't completed them, and Sephiroth, there isn't all that much post-game content. There's no reason to play the original with final mix out, it just beats it out in every conceivable way. New story cutscenes, Limit form, heartless recolors, new cups, Mushroom XIII, Roxas battle, two new keyblades, Cavern of Remembrance & Data Battles, Lingering Will... there is no reason that you'd ever go back to the original.

Kingdom Hearts III at least seems polished where they did do work on it, although I somewhat share the disappointment of area size for the original worlds. I'm probably going to spend way more time in Toy Box and The Caribbean than I ever will in Twilight Town, The Realm of Darkness, or The Keyblade Graveyard.

The plot seems to be a lot more satisfying this time around, however, and that's what I'm looking forward to. Now there's ACTUALLY 13 main villains, there's tons of fan-favorite characters, the organization members seem to be actually tied to the worlds they are assigned to, and the universe has had a lot more time to establish rules this time around. Unlike Kingdom Hearts II, which expected people to play a gameboy advance game to understand the first THREE HOURS of their game, Kingdom Hearts III has made it very clear which games you need to have experience with to understand what they're going for this time. They've even included synopses of plot-important elements so that players can be refreshed on certain games and characters, which is super useful since this game is multi-platform.

Honestly, the biggest missed opportunity was the lack of collection ports to Xbox One. I will never understand that decision.

I know I went on a bit of a tangent, but the point is that I don't know what to expect and that I'm more optimistic than other people here that have stuck with us since the beginning. I still have a huge love and optimism for the franchise, although maybe it's a bit more down-to-earth when it comes to Kingdom Hearts II.

But I think you're viewing KH2 from your present perspective, where as I'm speaking of base KH2 back when it first came out. I felt it was complete when I played the base version of KH2. It was only after KH2FM came out (which was a year later) that I came to expect more of what KH2FM had to offer for future games in the series. It was almost like there was my expectations for the series before KH2FM and then new expectations for the series after KH2FM.

Also consider this, even though BBS and KH3D didn't live up to KH2FM overall, they did try to carry over fan favorite elements of KH2FM. BBS had a secret bosses that hinted at the next game in the series (Mysterious Figure A.K.A Young Xehanort), BBS also had Mirage Arena which served the same purpose as the coliseum. Later on in BBSFM they added the Unversed Challenges which were clearly a substitute for the Mushroom XIII. BBS also had the stickers which were similar to the puzzle pieces in KH2FM. The only thing it was missing was a Sephiroth fight, but at least Sephiroth got a cameo in the credit scene with Zack. (I also will criticize BBS for not having at least a brief scene with Young Leon/Squall)

Moving onto KH3D you had the battle portals (which I think was trying to act a substitute for the coliseum tournaments since Olympus Coliseum couldn't be in the Realm of Sleep obviously. An excuse which KH3 clearly doesn't have to hide behind). They could also be viewed as a substitute for the Mushroom XIII. And then again with the special portals that let you refight stronger versions of the bosses which again I thought was a substitute for the coliseum. KH3D not having a Final Fantasy boss made since because again it's in the Realm of Sleep. The odd thing about KH3D was having Julius as a boss instead of someone more tied into the story.

You can see though that they were at least trying to carry over elements from KH2FM to other games that followed it. I figured the same would naturally be true for KH3.

Leaferian

Awards
I've been playing since the original KH1 and my expectations are pretty reasonable and tempered.

Also, the leaker has decided to throw himself a full-on T A N T R U M. Apparently, he beat all the Battle Portals and didn't get any Orichalcum+. He's throwing a hissy fit that he hasn't found the materials for the Ultima Weapon and is threatening to drop his review score of the game by a "full point" if he doesn't get it by Sunday. What a little bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back