• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Nitpicks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
You know what KH trailers have been doing wrong all these years?

They never had Mark Elliot, the Disney trailer voice guy. He could even make the shitty DTV sequels sound grand (at least until you see the rest of the trailer anyway)

Meanwhile, who does KH got?

I almost fall asleep listening to this guy who sounds like he just woke up.

disney233

Awards
I still miss the days, where the characters were designed with big feet. It gave the KH characters a bit of unique character design.
Looks at pfp
maxresdefault (22).jpg
hol up-
Also, and this isn't really a nitpick, but I kinda wish that KH will scrap the entire Disney stuff from future KH games. The Disney worlds do not have a purpose anymore in the story and are just a big distraction. Plus, Disney seems to get more restricted with their films in KH, I'm mean, look how pointless the Frozen world was and how little boss fights you had against Disney villains in KH3.
I hate this. I hate this so much. I understand that the Disney aspect of Kingdom Hearts was and IS the selling point, but back then...it had value. It felt like they actually meant something, and I gotta thank 1 & 2 for making me a Disney fan and all.... but after BBS it's gotten to a point where Disney just lost sight of that very magic they sprinkle on it, and made the Disney aspect nothing more than what it sought out to be in the first place:
A mere selling point only meant to market your FaVoRiTE dIsNEY CHARACRERS INSTEAD OF ACTUALLY INTEGRATING THEM INTO THE STORY.

I don't want the Disney aspect to go, but if it keeps on going as this rotting corpse for marketing, then it probably is for the best that it should get scrapped.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Imho the whole Disney worlds aspect is part of the basic setting of the KH series and its internal universe so getting rid of it completely would make KH just another Final Fantasy clone laced with several anime tropes with the main difference being an overarching story across multiple entries so that can't be the final answer to the Disney parts.
And to be honest I certainly do not want to get rid of Mickey, Donald and Goofy as they're more or less an integral part of the circle of central characters of the series.

However one thing I do have to concede Swing has a point with is that indeed the Disney worlds and plots start to feel more like filler and time-wastes that take away space within a single title which would be spent more wisely on developing the main story and especially the loads upon loads of half-baked and neglected original characters who function more as props and drama-deliverers rather than actual characters.
This started already with Unchained X and Union X a few years ago although KH 2 also already had this issue partly with the main story coming to a grinding halt in favor for unimportant Disney-only plots, with Tron/Space Paranoids being the outstanding positive exception, but KH III amplified it even more by first introducing main story-relevant plotlines like i.e. gaining the power of waking, taking steps to rescue Roxas or trying to find clues about the new Organisation's goals and actions but then dropping these again the moment you get to the next Disney world.
These plotlines also do not get picked up again but handwaved away in the already overcrowded finale which crosses off plot points from a check list instead of organically developing them out (and in some cases finishing them) throughout the entire game's running time.

Swing

Awards
However, one thing I do have to concede Swing has a point with is that indeed the Disney worlds and plots start to feel more like filler and time-wastes that take away space within a single title which would be spent more wisely on developing the main story and especially the loads upon loads of half-baked and neglected original characters who function more as props and drama-deliverers rather than actual characters.

This is something I learned about storytelling when I went to art school. If your story has elements in it that do not further your plot or characters than those elements are just pointless and you should get rid of them. And sadly, everything Disney-related is very pointless filler in the overall narrative in KH. Those are, in my eyes, the worst things that you can do with your story, wasting time with stuff that has no impact on it. I bet, if the Disney stuff would be gone, we could have spent more time fleshing out the stories of other characters better, like Kairi, Naminé, The Twilight Town Trio, and more.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is something I learned about storytelling when I went to art school. If your story has elements in it that do not further your plot or characters than those elements are just pointless and you should get rid of them. And sadly, everything Disney-related is very pointless filler in the overall narrative in KH. Those are, in my eyes, the worst things that you can do with your story, wasting time with stuff that has no impact on it. I bet, if the Disney stuff would be gone, we could have spent more time fleshing out the stories of other characters better, like Kairi, Naminé, The Twilight Town Trio, and more.
I fully agree with that statement of storytelling. It's why many of the Disney aspects frustrates me. I don't want to lose the Disney side of Kingdom Hearts, but I don't want to keep going to worlds that don't advance the plot or characters. This is why I hate worlds like Pride Lands.

Many fans complain KH has too many characters but if you cut the Disney aspect from the series you have more then enough time for every OC, so getting rid of Disney is very tempting. What we need is balance. Stop retelling the Disney movie plot and have the story be plot or character relevant to the series. Several KH OC's can relate to the characters in Disney worlds. And if you are going to force the movie plot have a character there that can relate to the problem and help that character grow. But we can't just keep doing this because holding all the Kingdom Hearts big plots until the end is why so many characters get neglected and the plot rushed in favor of things that don't truly matter.

I know it's a business move to market Disney to sell, but again KH3, the finale of the Dark Seeker saga, was 85% Disney filler and 15% actual finale content.

Swing

Awards
The worst part for me actually is, that Sora is actually the only original character in the KH series, that actually interacts with Disney characters in a meaningful way. Riku doesn't really have a bound with a Disney character, not even with Mickey to be honest. Kairi only had this one scene with Pluto, but we could replace Pluto here with any other dog or character. Roxas doesn't have a bound with Disney-characters, same with the Twilight Town gang, Axel, Naminé, etc.

But this is probably because of the Disney executives and they meddling. They really want to keep their characters as far away from the KH plot. Like SweetYetSalty said, only 15% of the plot was related to the important stuff.

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I don't hav
Many fans complain KH has too many characters but if you cut the Disney aspect from the series you have more then enough time for every OC, so getting rid of Disney is very tempting.
I'm not really convinced that they would use that time well. UX's cutscenes are 99% original world & characters and has gone on for years and yet is still rubbish.

We're putting too much of this on Disney & not enough on Nomura. IMO, it's not a coincidence that the 1st game in the series was the 1 that did the most with the Disney characters. That was when both the IP, & Nomura, were unproven. Once KH was a hit & Nomura a made man, he went wild with his story, his characters, his creation. The only other entry to have even come close again was Re:Coded with Mickey & Maleficent driving much of the action. & that was a bloody phone game with basically no plot that Nomura came up with while drunk.

Meanwhile, other games like Days aren't even trying, we don't actually see Xaldin & Beast meet, let alone how Xaldin manipulated him & that was the whole point of that world's inclusion. Peter Pan doesn't even appear in his own world. Hook & Hades are not bosses. A Pinocchio world was cut because Nomura felt the game was too padded, even though they could've just cut all the filler missions instead. Can't blame Disney for any of that.

Cumguardian69

Awards
I'm not really convinced that they would use that time well. UX's cutscenes are 99% original world & characters and has gone on for years and yet is still rubbish.
But UX has the bEsT wRiTiNg and is so interesting. The setup with the foretellers having a traitor among their ranks, the setup with the Union Leaders having a supposed double agent, Player's memories, the epic murder mystery, Darkness the character, how Vanitas and Ventus have interplay in the past, and how the Ark we saw in KH1 is now important...

Oh wait, I forgot that all of those "plot points" still haven't gone anywhere. Lmao

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I don't hav

We're putting too much of this on Disney & not enough on Nomura. IMO, it's not a coincidence that the 1st game in the series was the 1 that did the most with the Disney characters. That was when both the IP, & Nomura, were unproven. Once KH was a hit & Nomura a made man, he went wild with his story, his characters, his creation. The only other entry to have even come close again was Re:Coded with Mickey & Maleficent driving much of the action. & that was a bloody phone game with basically no plot that Nomura came up with while drunk.

Meanwhile, other games like Days aren't even trying, we don't actually see Xaldin & Beast meet, let alone how Xaldin manipulated him & that was the whole point of that world's inclusion. Peter Pan doesn't even appear in his own world. Hook & Hades are not bosses. A Pinocchio world was cut because Nomura felt the game was too padded, even though they could've just cut all the filler missions instead. Can't blame Disney for any of that.
Don't remind me of the Pinocchio world scrapping. I still cry myself to sleep I never got Honest John in Kingdom Hearts. And Hades and Meg were scrapped too...yet abominations like Ruler of the Sky exist! The injustice of it all.

As far as UX cutscenes, I don't know how Union X spends it's time with original content, yet. But still if you cut the Disney out you have plenty of time for the OC stories. Whether it's Disney or Nomura's fault doesn't matter. But Disney Worlds are a problem if they don't advance anything for anyone and are just there for marketing. Good for business and money, bad for story telling and character building. I don't want Disney gone, I just want better balance.

Noivern

Awards
My nitpick isn't with KH exactly, but with the community; in specific, regarding this "they should remove Disney Worlds because at this point they're only a filler distracting from the real story lol" which is.. well, false, to start with. But also, really lazy.

While it's true that most of the meat of the game's main story tends to happen at the original worlds, getting rid of Disney is a very lazy answer both from the developers side and as a wish from players.

While Disney definitely had influence in the way things have been written, I doubt they were the ones responsible for the lazy writing we had. Not being able to punch the Disney Villains? Sure!. Not having important scenes spread throughout the Disney Worlds whenever possible? Definitely Square.

You see, even if Disney is responsible for pushing the worlds to follow a more direct storyline at times like with Frozen's Arandelle, we still had worlds like Monster Inc or Toy Story at KH3 with original stories that dealt with the main story themes. So if anything, the decision to not have the Org having their main confrontation on those worlds and instead being pushed to a boring final climax at the Graveyard was definitely on Square's side.

The decision to not have a "midgame" with the worlds changing and expanding, featuring more hub worlds for the story to take place in like KH2 did was definitely Square's, and not Disney. The plot from the worlds in KH3 are all secluded within each other and are not really affected by Sora's progression through the story, to the point where besides the in-game level of the enemies we face, it makes literally no difference if the first world post-Olympus was San Fransokyo rather than Corona; again, this is Square's, not Disney.

Blaming the lack of diversity in worlds and stories in the latest games and the way the story is being developed on Disney wanting to feature their movies rather than Square being lazy and KH3 having a very questionable development cycle is just.. really wrong to me. lol

That aside, even if the worlds turn into pure filler, I'll STILL want them to be in KH because I enjoy exploring Disney worlds; that's just as much KH as the edgy fantasy storyline. I love the original worlds, but I don't want Disney to take the backseat to feature them; both have a place in the franchise and both could be used; Birth By sleep is a post-kh2 game that made major use of it's original worlds even though it only featured 2 (3 if we count Disney Town), and even then Land of Departure was pretty much only used for a Boss Battle and Cutscenes.

So yeah, maybe we should stop using Disney as a scapegoat to blame so much of what went bad in 3.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I detest how Vanitas is just called the boy in the mask or masked boy when we first meet him. First of all that giant globe on his head is not a mask. Secondly he doesn't sound like a boy, he sounds like a edgy teen. I know he's Ventus's size and all but at least call him a mysterious figure/person. For some reason I don't like how Vanitas is called a boy in BBS, even though he is young by appearance.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Poor Tron.

And yet I have another nitpick. So Xemnas has RAX's sigils, I guess he holds all the Organization members sigils. If so did he know he had 14 of them? Does he ever look at them and go "Why is there a 14th sigil in my collection?" Before Xion is revived?

D

Deleted member 252753

This is either a nitpick or definitive proof that Luxu is the traitor.

In Back Cover, the Master of Masters specifically tells Luxu that his Keyblade isn't called the Gazing Eye. But in his Secret Reports Luxu continues to call it the Gazing Eye so he clearly thought he knew better than his Master on this one (and in fairness it is much better than No Name). The traitor bit was a joke but I do find it funny that Nomura chose to introduce the new name by the MoM saying that isn't its name and his apprentice just ignoring him.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
This is either a nitpick or definitive proof that Luxu is the traitor.

In Back Cover, the Master of Masters specifically tells Luxu that his Keyblade isn't called the Gazing Eye. But in his Secret Reports Luxu continues to call it the Gazing Eye so he clearly thought he knew better than his Master on this one (and in fairness it is much better than No Name). The traitor bit was a joke but I do find it funny that Nomura chose to introduce the new name by the MoM saying that isn't its name and his apprentice just ignoring him.
I was just thinking about this yesterday, while trying to figure out a theory about names (MoM's name). Within this theory, Luxu calling No Name the Gazing eye / "ignoring" the master is part of "the plan" :p (truth is what you see not what you hear ;) )

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Yeesh, not even DDD had any instance of Tron. Rinzler didn't even get a chance to reconvene with Sora.
The Tron Sora knows was a copy anyway, DDD had the original Tron/Rinzler who never met Sora.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Even if Tron was just a copy that version of him still had a strong bond with SDG. At least Tron and Space Paranoids has a chance to return in the next saga

Back