• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Novelization

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

the Rainmaker

Hey, I've been working on a little project in my spare time. I'm novelizing Kingdom Hearts, and wondering what people think. Would that be cool, or is it stupid?
You wouldn't have to play the game to fully understand the book. The game would have some things that the book wouldn't, and the book would have some things that aren't in the game. The main point would be to expound a little here and there on the story.
For example, Riku: I'd give him a negligent mother. She'd rarely be home, or at least she mistreats him, or something. This makes it easier to understand why he cateres to Maleficent; she seems to provide a mother-figure for him in the game (like when she calls him her son). Things like that.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Do you guys have any thoughts about the adults on the island? You never see them, but you know they're there. And what's up with the mayor?! Kairi lives in his house, or what? What do you guys think about the grown-ups?

Last edited:

Sharingan

I like you idea with the whole Riku and his mother having issues. I think it might be hard to write a novel based on Kingdom Hearts, at least it would be for me. I think you should go for it. Good luck with your story. ^^

BTW... The only gown-up you ever even hear of is Sora's mother in the game. I think that is weird how they don't mention much about the grown-ups in Kingdom Hearts.

flary26

It's a brilliant idea. And I can so see that happening to Riku. Plus, his father was probably a really cool guy, but died, or some sort of incident, when he was young. At least that's what I'd think.

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
Rainmaker! Kisses for you! If you can succeed, I swear I'd... do something really wonderful for you. I'd like to help anyway I can.

I think you shouldn't try to explain the town. Keep to the story line as much as possible. The mayor has NOTHING to do with KH so please, he shouldn't even appear. Kairi would be living with her grandmother, wouldn't she? I don't think you should spend so much time on their homelife. One scene at home should explain whatever point you want to get across. Also, please , please do not fail to emphasize and adorn around their relationships.

Anyway, if you need more help, please let me know! I'd love to read what you come up with.

Last edited:

the Rainmaker

Thanks for the input, guys! Now I can move forward with more motivation, knowing that there's at least a few people out there who think it's interesting.
Here's one glitch, other than the grown-ups problem: if I want to publish it, won't I have to write Square-Enix and Disney to get rights?

quitejaded

I Do Phoenix.
Website
xanga.com
You're going to need to talk it up with the big guys. And don't worry so much about the grown ups. I don't think they should be so much involved that it'd be a major problem. I like your Riku idea, though.

the Rainmaker

Hey people!!

I decided to press forward. I've now completed the first part. Written out, it's the game from the opening dream sequence to just before you start Traverse Town. Everything in between is covered (mucho help needed on the sunset scene with Sora and Kairi: I tried to make it romantic and I think I failed).

I can't figure out how to let anyone see it here on the forums, though. I can't post attachments for some reason. I even sent it to the fan corner.

Anyway, here's what I've got so far:

Part I: "Invasion"
--Chapter I: "Last Days"
--Chapter II: "Star-Crossed"
--Chapter III: "The Door Opens"

WORK IN PROGRESS:
Part II: "Traverse Town"
--Chapter IV: "Strangers"
--Chapter V: "Run Through Town"
--Chapter VI: "In the Hotel"
--Chapter VII: "Paths Are Crossed"
--Chapter VIII: "Chambers of Conspiracy"
--Chapter IX: "Set Off"

If anyone is interested in seeing "Invasion" (I know quitejaded said she was), then please PM me or email me at matthew_aj@turbowave.com (the latter being preferable).

Thanks, more info coming soon.

Last edited:

jk4eva

Hey, I like your idea. I think you're on to something that has potential. I hope you work it out, even if it doesn't get published, you could still post it somewhere for us to read. I can't wait to read it, it better be good or else....

jk4eva

Wow...all I have to say is... that was excellent, really good and detailed.
You had all the elements there to stay true to the game. I also liked how you filled in the gaps of what you think the characters would have said. You added your own little twist to it, very nice.
Adding in Riku's story was also a decent idea, because we can understand a little bit of why he's like that and it ties in.
The romance scene - I thought, was cute..although at first i thought you were kinda lacking in that..

I only have a problem with one part though.... - in the secret place, Sora was the one who drew the hand giving the paopu fruit to Kairi first, and at the end Kairi drew hers after, remember? Just thought you might want to correct that...

Overall, fantastic job! You have a creative imagination.. and adding in the exact font from the game? Brilliant! I can't wait to read more!.... xP
biggrin.gif

the Rainmaker

Thanks so much!

jk4eva asked to see "Invasion". The above is her response.

Thanks, and I hope to somehow make it more available for public access. I've contacted the fan corner, but no word yet. What I really need is for the administrator to allow me to post attachments, but no word on that either.

About two things, both of which I predicted may be problematic:

The sunset scene between Kairi and Sora. I tried to somehow make that a preteen romantic scene--you know, how sometimes fourteen-year-olds are really bad at it--but I think I just made it look worse. I hope it turns out well.

Also, the drawing in the Secret Place. I may be wrong, or maybe my subconciousness thought that this would be more romantic, but I made it so that when Sora and Kairi were kids, they drew the little heads. Then Kairi drew the papaou fruit from her to him. Sora was too shy to do anything about it then, so now years later, he draws his own arm giving one to Kairi. This way, at the end of the story when she wanders into the Secret Place and sees his addition, that adds to the sentimentality of the scene.

I thought that that's why she was crying already, because that addition made his memory more enduring. Of course, if it didn't...then tell me if it's a good idea. I think its (as quitejaded put it) emphasizing and adorning around their relationship. What do you guys think?

KingdomKid17

It's a good idea, but would it be true to KH? I mean, would it be BASED off KH, or would it be a prequel, because if it was a prequel, then you would need to talk to the creators of KH. Just a thought.

the Rainmaker

Yes, of course. It is strictly based on KH. With the exception of a few lines modified to clear up 'cornyness', everything that is said comes straight from the game's script.

That is, of course, with the exception as well of the few scenes where I must have the characters do something to clarify an idea, and also the scene I have created between Riku and his mother (the thing I was talking about earlier, see first post).

The game's script includes things said in cut scenes as well as talk bubbes during game play. For example, when you are in Destiny Islands for the first time, you learn from Selphie (and Tidus, I think, can't remember) that Riku and Sora don't really act like themselves around each other and Selphie thinks they act like they aren't friends. Since I've experienced this recently with my own best friend, and since Sora and Riku seem to be going through that as the story of the game opens, I have tossed that into my plot salad.

I would never dream of attempting something so presuming as a prequel.

the Rainmaker

Uh...problem: I realized yesterday that I need to have the meteor shower! I mean, I know it never shows it in the game, but sometime during the sunset scene with Sora, Riku and Kairi...or something. But in a literary setting, that needs to be shown at some point before the storm.

What do you guys think?

Kingdom Clasm

Disciple of Truth
With my head to the stars, waiting for a miracle.
Man! It's such a good idea! Go for it and write more! If ya wanna publish it, write to Square-Enix and Disney. Although I don't think it would work out though. They'd probably just see you as some ordinary KH fan, and probably will not want to get involoved in something like that, or grant you the right too. You should still try it though!
Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back