• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chains of Memories discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will you get/do you want KH RE:CoM?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards
Re: The official Re:CoM in North America thread.

I thought that they were doing VA, that is why it is going to take them 3 months. I don't think that the language will be Japanese with English subtitles.

They are. I know. I was stating the reasons that it wouldn't be delayed.

ChocobosComet

Blinky KITTY!
Website
usagi-cho.deviantart.com

I doubt it. There's no reason to delay it. VA? no. Gameplay? no Development? no

All they had to do was translate it.

I don't think she? meant RE:CoM. I think she? means what I and a few other people stated earlier. This game is being released to tie us over because something went wrong and the new games are going to take longer to release than they were originally supposed to.

Translating it wasn't all they had to do. They had to reformat it, redub it, edit the text, and a whole list of other things, not to mention the red tape known as the US copyright laws. This was no simple feat, by far.

madammina

Notorious White Mage Captainess

(facepalm)

TRANSLATION TAKES A WHILE!

You have to hire the translators

Hire the programmers to rewrite the script with the translations (who must also program BBS, 358, Coded, FFXIII)

pay for any incidental expenses needed for the translators.

And you have to do other things too...

advertise

market research

hire the VA's

AUDITION the VA's.

This is not *snap* look it's translated. It has to go through alot of steps. You have to do an entire game (face it, it was an ENTIRE GBA game with some added scenes) and the programmers may want to fix any bugs in Re:com.

ChocobosComet

Blinky KITTY!
Website
usagi-cho.deviantart.com

(facepalm)

TRANSLATION TAKES A WHILE!

You have to hire the translators

Hire the programmers to rewrite the script with the translations

pay for any incidental expenses needed for the translators.

And you have to do other things too...

advertise

market research

hire the VA's

AUDITION the VA's.

This is not *snap* look it's translated. It has to go through alot of steps. You have to do an entire game (face it, it was an ENTIRE GBA game with some added scenes) and the programmers may want to fix any bugs in Re:com.

;points at post;

Translating it wasn't all they had to do. They had to reformat it, redub it, edit the text, and a whole list of other things, not to mention the red tape known as the US copyright laws. This was no simple feat, by far.

:3

Ren

adios motherfucker

I'm doubtful of a delay because I'd think they have all that finished.
Especially the translations, if they already did VA (regardless of whether it's finished or not).

There might be bugs to fix, but they can't be incredibly impacting bugs. It's not like they're ripping out the entire code of the game and rewriting it. In essence, they really are just translating it. And then you throw in all the shebang ChocobosComet listed.

The thing is, they've been working on it for awhile. And it usually takes half a year or less to get this process finished. And CoM's a relatively short game in comparison to most.

madammina

MOTHER 3 Fan Translation

okay, this is a fan translation of a GBA game, but it still applies.

This guy has been going through and translating this game for over a year. In doing so he has run up against alot of problems.

an (4-6) character limit that works fine for the Japanese Kanji, but not so good with English Letters

A game ending bug that has to do with significant text. He ran into it while translating. Not a problem on GBA, but when you translate it, it does.

text and sprite warping because of said character limits.

sound hacking

making sure this didn't change the script...

He isn't doing this 24/7, but it has taken him a while.

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards

I'm doubtful of a delay because I'd think they have all that finished.
Especially the translations, if they already did VA (regardless of whether it's finished or not).

There might be bugs to fix, but they can't be incredibly impacting bugs. It's not like they're ripping out the entire code of the game and rewriting it. In essence, they really are just translating it. And then you throw in all the shebang ChocobosComet listed.

The thing is, they've been working on it for awhile. And it usually takes half a year or less to get this process finished. And CoM's a relatively short game in comparison to most.

This is what I tried to say.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards

Yeah, CoM is shorter than the games that S-E tends to do. I saw the cutscenes in youtube, it took me one day to finish it. Other games take longer than that for me to finish watching them on youtube, which I normally don't unless I don't have the game and there is no way for me to get it.

Absurd

Hint: You have to.

Sad, isn't it?
Is translation really that hard anyway... All you do is gotta get the actors and make em record some scripts, make the game NTSC-NA and make the menus english...

madammina

Fan translation. Not a team of hired professionals. :/
Doesn't apply.

It does and it doesn't.

The time will be shorter (His real job is a translator) and this is a serious... hobby isn't the right word, but it is in that vein. The time spent is a slave to his RL schedule.

However, the problems are more of what I was focusing on. He had to fix all of those, which the CoM translators would also have to do.

Ren

adios motherfucker

Sad, isn't it?
Is translation really that hard anyway... All you do is gotta get the actors and make em record some scripts, make the game NTSC-NA and make the menus english...

Yes, it's hard.
Is it really as hard and time-consuming as some people are making it out to be? Maybe not.

But you're making it sound too easy.
I'm just glad they announced it when we only have to wait like, 3 months. <3

However, the problems are more of what I was focusing on. He had to fix all of those, which the CoM translators would also have to do.

They have to fix those bugs, or maybe they already have countermeasures developed from experience with previous games. I say it doesn't apply because they probably do things differently, with more effective tools and methods. There's still a broad difference between SE and a fan translator (regardless of his occupation).

Byronic Hero

Resonance of Darkness
Awards

Sad, isn't it?

Lets not make madammina go through it again. Lets just say that it takes longer than you think

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar

....Please. Hanatori and I translated the new scenes in KH2 FM in a couple of nights.
You just grab the code and replace the Japanese text with English text, most of which they can borrow from the last game >.>

I could be wrong though. I'm no designer. But it should be that simple, as far as translation goes. KH2 after all, is complete. They would just need to replace the Japanese dialogue for the new scenes. Get their VA's to do a few extra lines, get approval from the higher-ups at SENA and SEJ, and voila....

Though I'm probably oversimplifying the process, that's what I would do :( I'm hoping it's not the attitude of "FM is Japanese. It's ours. It stays in Japan." that's keeping them from releasing it here >.>

As for VA, I'm sure it's already done. They usually have to have those things done long before they get their hands dirty on the real stuff in the game. Like with animating the mouths for lip-syncing, etc., they have to have the voices done first. GTA IV's voices were done since like early 2007 and the game released in 2008. Lol.

Absurd

:bored:
Yes, it's hard.
Is it really as hard and time-consuming as some people are making it out to be? Maybe not.

But you're making it sound too easy.
I'm just glad they announced it when we only have to wait like, 3 months. <3
Although i could be overestimating it by a long shot, thats just my personality XD
Yeah 3 months isnt alot, but should i get it after i got the japanese version? I mean i do have kh-vids after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back