• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Series Coming to Nintendo Switch as Cloud Versions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I think I know the reason they are all going to be Cloud versions instead of actually ported, beyond just 2.8 and 3.

It's going to only be available as a single entity, the All for One collection, that doesn't distinguish them as separate files. 1.5+2.5 probably won't be sold by itself same as 2.8 or 3.

If that is the case and they are considered one download, I haven't checked how All for One functions when bought. Is it a single file size? And would that file size possible exceed the 32 gb that Switch has natively? If so, there's your answer. If not I have no clue.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
My theory why is..I went and checked and the pc versions of 1.5+2.5 had BUGS. That tells me the code for those are a MESS.

...so we got a space issue + about 2-3 years of work or more to get that collection to run on a Switch. They proly checked that before they decided to go eff this, we're going cloud with it. BTW, that includes messing with that messy/buggy code, which means they just deemed it more trouble than it was worth to port it yet again. That's also why I've told my brother repeatedly, if you wanna play those, ask me for the systems and the disks, and you can play anytime you feel like. Our internet is kinda in between meh and meh-okay, I have no problem most times playing FFXIV, but my brother (Just so you guys know, this isn't his real name, I just use one of his internet handles online) Shadowneko has said he has trouble in Fortnite, so he said he doesn't want to even THINK about buying a cloud game b/c it'd prolly suck, lag wise.

Also with KH3..we got a space issue + last time Square ported a UE4 game, they had to redo it from the ground up. No wonder they said no to a phys port with that one. (If you wanna know what game? It was Dragon Quest XI. Shame that is now biting us in the butt.)

Last edited:

AegisXIII

Awards
I just want to point out that the PC version has switch controllers button support under the name type-c in the settings. So basically, the switch cloud version is the PC version with some presets.

The advantage is that the games are too big to fit on a cartridge. But the cloud... I am not sure this technology is ready.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I just want to point out that the PC version has switch controllers button support under the name type-c in the settings. So basically, the switch cloud version is the PC version with some presets.

The advantage is that the games are too big to fit on a cartridge. But the cloud... I am not sure this technology is ready.

I play on the cloud with a fairly choppy connection. Witj xbox, I stream my own console at home to the other side of the world and it plays fairly well.

I also play Google Stadia and even on cellular data (I've tried 4G and 3G+) it plays remarkably well for what it is. My WiFi occasionally drops out but otherwise my 4K HDR Stadia streams get along very well and adapty bitrate/resolution seamlessly to prioritise constant connection over video quality when necessary.

Not sure what OEM Nintendo uses for these cloud games but to say it is inherently non-workable from the start isn't fair, imo.

AegisXIII

Awards
I play on the cloud with a fairly choppy connection. Witj xbox, I stream my own console at home to the other side of the world and it plays fairly well.

I also play Google Stadia and even on cellular data (I've tried 4G and 3G+) it plays remarkably well for what it is. My WiFi occasionally drops out but otherwise my 4K HDR Stadia streams get along very well and adapty bitrate/resolution seamlessly to prioritise constant connection over video quality when necessary.

Not sure what OEM Nintendo uses for these cloud games but to say it is inherently non-workable from the start isn't fair, imo.
To be honest, I have never tried it.
I am skeptical, but maybe it works like a charm.

An advantage I can see is that it might be easier to update on multiple platforms. PC is the groundtruth and cloud versions get updated at the same time than the pc version.
Now that's only if they are planning to update it. XD

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The thing about file sizes being too big is that they could've
A. split up 1.5 & 2.5
B. Cut Days/Coded, which are just HD video files that take up a lot of space.

It would be really silly if the reason we can't play games is because they couldn't fit in a couple of movies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Matgsy; did you catch that the original ports have bugs? Therefore, they may have very messy code?

From my best guess, that means it'd be a 4 aspirin headache and a lot of time/manpower to full port 1.5+2.5. Think YEARS of work. My theory is they looked at the effort it'd take to port, found out it'd be a feat worthy of Hercules, and said, "NOOOO! Not again." and went with the copout. (aka. cloud gaming)

Unfortunately they didn't realize that nations outside of Japan don't always have good internet (ie. here in the USA in the boonies) so it may not sell as well as they hope; heck me and Shadowcat are sticking with the non-cloud versions. :)

the red monster

Awards
How much speed you really need to play it 1080p 60fps via cloud on the switch? i have 1GB internet (tho only getting around 60 on the switch because nintendo)
it should hopefully be enough?

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
How much speed you really need to play it 1080p 60fps via cloud on the switch? i have 1GB internet (tho only getting around 60 on the switch because nintendo)
it should hopefully be enough?

You don't need much. As long as it's stable and your router is better than some of the awful ones ISPs give out, you should be fine. Especially over ethernet.

AegisXIII

Awards
Matgsy; did you catch that the original ports have bugs? Therefore, they may have very messy code?

From my best guess, that means it'd be a 4 aspirin headache and a lot of time/manpower to full port 1.5+2.5. Think YEARS of work. My theory is they looked at the effort it'd take to port, found out it'd be a feat worthy of Hercules, and said, "NOOOO! Not again." and went with the copout. (aka. cloud gaming)

Unfortunately they didn't realize that nations outside of Japan don't always have good internet (ie. here in the USA in the boonies) so it may not sell as well as they hope; heck me and Shadowcat are sticking with the non-cloud versions. :)
Sounds right.
The fact that these ports do not have basic features like dual audio, enable or disable subtitles, different subtitles languages means that the games are very old and not build with the popular game engines that are used nowadays. Therefore they are stuck with insane optimisations issues.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised by the pc ports. So maybe all hope is not lost. At each release, it gets more and more features. That's why I am hoping for one final compilation. One that would finally tackle these issues for good.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The greatest crossover: My head X Desk: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...tive-on-switch-a-true-port-is-still-undecided

Nintendo Life: From an outsider looking in, we've seen other high-quality ports of classic Square Enix games like Final Fantasy X | X-2 run natively on Switch. So what was the reason to release the Kingdom Hearts series on Switch as Cloud Versions, instead of optimising them to run natively on Switch hardware?
Ichiro Hazama: "For some time, our director Tetsuya Nomura had expressed his desire to deliver the Kingdom Hearts series to Nintendo Switch players, him having seen and heard the demand, and so a great deal of consideration went into this internally. Bringing these titles to Nintendo Switch proved to be quite difficult for various reasons, including the storage capacity of the hardware, but we’re excited that we were able to make it happen for the first time ever by utilizing the Cloud service."

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Yeah, I was just about to post this.

I haven't actually checked the file size for 1.5+2.5, or 2.8 before. I figured that even if the Switch had the capability of running KH3 graphically, it'd still be cloud version because the game couldn't physically fit on the memory space.

But if the collections are larger than the Switch 32 gb space allows, then that would deter Nintendo from allowing the game on the eShop.

As for separating certain games out (notably the movies), there's the issue of the point of having the collections in the first place: having the entire story available in the same place.

It sucks, but there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Oh hey, so are they gonna add a new system exclusive keyblade to KH3?

Ranma

Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Is it just me or is the egg cracking mini-game literally impossible on Switch? At least with joycons (I don't have a Pro Controller). I know it was hard for many of us on other consoles but MY GOD

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is it just me or is the egg cracking mini-game literally impossible on Switch? At least with joycons (I don't have a Pro Controller). I know it was hard for many of us on other consoles but MY GOD
Considering it is a game that requires precise timing and control, I’m honestly not shocked it is trash on the Switch

Back