• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Hearts Trivia: #38

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

To many fans of this series, Kingdom Hearts coded is the "black sheep" game of the bunch that seemingly adds nothing to the overall plot of the Xehanort Saga. Nevertheless, there are a small number of fans that adore the game and see it for what it is: a fun title with a lighthearted story and a lot of gameplay innovation.

For fans on both ends of the spectrum, this trivia will be a treat for you all!

Most would think the inception of coded came under fairly normal circumstances; a meeting, some ideas thrown out, gets an approval, and then the game is made. Actually, that is exactly right...except Nomura was drunk when it happened!

Kingdom Hearts coded co-director Hajime Tabata, known for his directorial work on Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Final Fantasy Type-0, brought up in an interview that series director Tetsuya Nomura was drunk late at night when he began explaining the idea of coded, using a whiteboard to get all of the planning done. At the time of Nomura’s initial drunken planning, the game wasn’t really going to happen but at some point in the future the idea developed into something more and thus coded was born!

Makes you wonder what else is planned in the midst of inebriation at Square Enix.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr for the latest news about Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, Kingdom Hearts χ[chi], and Kingdom Hearts 3!

Source: Kingdom Hearts coded Famitsu Weekly - October 22 2007

Previous trivia: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37]

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
HA! I actually knew this one! XD

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
I feel like I should be at least mildly surprised by this. But, nope. It totally makes sense. I mean, I'm sure the entire game wasn't conceived and developed while Nomura was hammered, but nevertheless, there's something about Coded that just feel weird compared to the other games conceptually. I guess this explains it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I feel like I should be at least mildly surprised by this. But, nope. It totally makes sense. I mean, I'm sure the entire game wasn't conceived and developed while Nomura was hammered, but nevertheless, there's something about Coded that just feel weird compared to the other games conceptually. I guess this explains it.

Of course! Just the night that the idea was born was he drunk in an office with Tabata xD

Here is the full question and answer from the Famitsu interview lol

What is the concept of this game?
Nomura: I wanted to make this like a playground for fans, like Disneyland, where there are many attractions for different kinds of people. I want to try the same thing with game content instead.
Tabata: Actually, to start it off, Nomura was drunk at midnight and began to explain the idea, with the help of the whiteboard and its content for the mobile phone. A lot of planning happened that night.
Nomura: At that point, it wasn't even really going to be part of the Kingdom Hearts series. However, when planning any game, it's always best to start with a story.
Tabata: At first the plan seemed terrible, but at the same time interesting. After all, Kingdom Hearts is special.
Nomura: We thought about various elements that could be added into the story, to help extend the game. For instance, in Before Crisis FFVII and Monotone, there was a new battle system as well as chapters to help work the system. We might make it the same for Kingdom Hearts Coded.

wolfshadow

Actually I think the only drunk part of the game was an idea of Pete and Maleficent trapped in a data-scape version of the worlds. Then afterwards they came up with a game and story to surround that initial idea.

Gram

Banned
Awards
lmao That's just hilarious! x'D I wonder which ideas was drunk induced storywise and what was added after lol.
Most amusing trivia yet~

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Actually I think the only drunk part of the game was an idea of Pete and Maleficent trapped in a data-scape version of the worlds. Then afterwards they came up with a game and story to surround that initial idea.

I just read ALL of the coded interviews and saw nothing about that. If this is just an assumption, the trivia is about Nomura being drunk when he made some pretty bad plans for a mobile game that eventually was made into coded. The game wasn't even a Kingdom Hearts title when he did his one night of drunk planning rofl.

wolfshadow

It was a joke, I was only inducing some laughter into a topic about drunkness being the cause of a game.

For instance, saying because they were drunk, the data viruses could be represented for any puking that happened that night.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It was a joke, I was only inducing some laughter into a topic about drunkness being the cause of a game.

For instance, saying because they were drunk, the data viruses could be represented for any puking that happened that night.

ohhhh. Jesus, internet humor *flies overhead*

lol then clearly the part where Sora goes into Riku is some kind of deep introspective moment in his drunk stupor.

Awards
An interesting note relating to Coded for those of you who don't know:
Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) trademark bandanna was based off of an unused design originally intended for a character in Kingdom Hearts Coded.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
An interesting note relating to Coded for those of you who don't know:
Snow Villiers (Final Fantasy XIII) trademark bandanna was based off of an unused design originally intended for a character in Kingdom Hearts Coded.
Neat.

You (and anyone else who knows some trivia) should PM our Site Staff members with any new stuff you think of, so it can be featured in the trivia updates instead of just posting them here!

Gram

Banned
Awards
So can we assume that Nomura was in the process of lucid dreaming when coming up with the concept of Dream Drop Distance?

That or he got drunk and watched inception before going to work. x'D

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
That or he got drunk and watched inception before going to work. x'D

That's definitely where he got the idea of Riku being Sora's DE came from haha

As for the interview, interesting, I really wish one day they would tell us what the original idea was before it was fixed. I imagine it was something very odd that was actually nothing like Coded turned out haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back