• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► KINGDOM HEARTS Union χ Dark Road Will Shut Down May 2021

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
As Tony Stark said "We're in the endgame" super sad.
Actually Dr. Strange said that but yeah

Anyway, here's my question. If Dark Road is gonna end in May...what about the story? When was the last time we had an update on that? Seriously, my girlfriend thinks the story got canned due to the length in time.

Last edited:

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Good news keep coming this year. :ROFLMAO:

They won't even bother to wait for Union Cross quest 1000 to end this. I honestly don't know how they managed to drag his story for so many years.

Chie

Awards
If Dark Road is gonna end in May...what about the story? When was the last time we had an update on that?
It will all be posted in (or by) September. This is stated in the announcement you guys

What's up in the air is if the story's actual content will be affected by this, but it will have an ending, and they've given themselves a fair amount of time to finish it if nothing else is going to be going on.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
X feels like the more likely candidate to be a game because of the wealth of story whilst Dark Road is perfect for the Days/Re: Coded/Back Cover cutscene treatment.
I think a playable KHUx right now is too big of a project. I presume Nomura is focused on whatever bridge game we're gonna get and then wants to work on the proper full KH entry.

But yes, playable KHUx and cutscene movie DR would be the better route.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Special thanks to @Muke for this incredible thread.

Nicolas

Awards
Am I right in thinking the English version is still way behind the Japanese one? Does that mean they will catch up by May? I'm pretty new to all of the UX stuff.

And Dark Road will also not continue for years?

AR829038

Awards
I just realized that the original browser version of this title came out when I was still in high school, and now I'm a grad student. Obama had just won his second term when this monstrosity of a game got off the ground. Holy shit.
Btw, I just played the most recent update, and it's goddamn unplayable. I spent over 3000 Jewels just trying to last through the Cy-Bug fights, and even then I couldn't get through it. And I'm LVL 480! Isn't the level cap like 500 or something?
I'm five times as glad now that they're ending it, because this game has now officially become bullshit-level unfair to non-whale players. I really haven't ever seen a worse game in my life (except maybe DR). No exaggeration. What utter, despicable, reprehensible garbage this title has been.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
KHUX being theater mode only is such a cop out, they could keep the quests and most mechanics by simply changing the currency from jewels to lux.
It wouldn't make the game a super enjoyable experience either but at least it would be preserved in some kind of way. I think it's the least they can do to after all these years.

Cumguardian69

Awards
KHUX being theater mode only is such a cop out, they could keep the quests and most mechanics by simply changing the currency from jewels to lux.
It wouldn't make the game a super enjoyable experience either but at least it would be preserved in some kind of way. I think it's the least they can do to after all these years.
Preserve what? It's a slide your finger across the screen and watch chibis do anime moves mobileshit "game". It's gacha plain and simple. The gameplay is so unimportant that they invented STORY ONLY skips

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I agree. Since they're converting card purchases in DR to BP, and you'll be able to get everything that way, it's very strange that UX couldn't be given the same treatment.
Not sure if Lux would've worked, but munny for sure.
Just reduce all the Medals to their max stats (no more strengthening/evolving), we can still buy traits and skills.
It'd take a little more work than DR but it could be done. Maybe if there's enough noise about it, they could change their minds on this.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Just me theorizing (or call it hoping) about the future aloud: Since the end's in sight, I wonder if a compilation of the main story scenes of the mobile games will be a part of a PS5 3.5 ReMIX release alongside 3 Re-Mind and MoM?

LoneFox

Awards
I have so many thoughts, and I find it difficult to decide, what needs to be said and what is better left out for now...

First, I didn't expect this. While we have known for some time that UX story is coming to end, Dark Road is only just past its beginning. Assuming the same release schedule as so far (new chapter every three months) and the most likely total number of chapters, it would have lasted until around May 2023. Keeping UX alive on its side after the end of its story would have been almost free, since it uses the same infrastructure as DR. It seems to me that they are killing a cash cow, which raises the question, who made this decision?

For me it is more like a shoulder shrug since I never invested anything in any incarnation of UX anyways and while I found the storyline of the original Browser-Chi to be pretty interesting and engaging it got progressively worse and less coherent the further it got with what I would certainly call "twist overloads" and the unnecessary addition of present day characters forcing overly thick and blatant direct connections to the distant past era.
I don't play the game either, but I see it as more my type of game than any other game in the series. I assume there was a time in the past when it had better game balance and fewer money-grab gimmicks, but I didn't know about it back then. Also, restricting a game to only one platform today is really stupid, because if you choose your tools correctly, you can run the same codebase everywhere. Had it been available for my platform of choice (Linux on x86_64), then I might have played it and possibly even spent a little bit of money on it.

In the story I see only one big blunder, the solution of the murder. It doesn't make any sense that such an intelligent and extremely connection-oriented person as Nomura is would build up a big mystery story that confirms the conventions of the genre really well, and then abandon those conventions completely in its solution. Also, a race of ancient beings who appear to be made of pure evil, can be invisible, and ask the question, "What do you want?". Where have we seen this before? There are in fact quite a few things in the series that appear to be copied from that same source, but never before this blatantly. I assume this nonsense is not Nomura's fault, but result of interference from lesser minds. Maybe some Square-Penix necktie clown told him, "You cannot reveal one of the foretellers as the killer, because then a large number of players in that foreteller's union would quit playing the game, and then we don't get their mone¥".

The addition of modern timeline characters I see as a clever idea. It's not only an interesting plot device, but also helps with a practical problem. The series does suffer from having already too many characters, and re-using them helps to avoid making this worse. For same reason, in the first chapter of DR, they immediately made it clear that the new characters in that story will not be able to escape to the modern timeline.

Then there is the fact that there are no endings, but only beginnings. We will be left with the offline version of the game, and that opens up some interesting possibilities. Maybe the community can tweak and turn it into the kind of game that it should have been to begin with? Now, I want to make it clear that I'm not promising to do anything with it, but I'm also not excluding the possibility of participating in such a project if there is any interest. I see no need to make any decisions about that until the offline version is available.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It seems to me that they are killing a cash cow, which raises the question, who made this decision?
UXDR is SE’s lowest profiting mobile game along with Valkyrie Anatomia. After Mobius was terminated, this game was absolutely going to be next on the chopping block.

This has not been a cash cow for a long time, and with the lack of substantial updates, the user base was dwindling fast.

Devilish Destati

Awards
Just me theorizing (or call it hoping) about the future aloud: Since the end's in sight, I wonder if a compilation of the main story scenes of the mobile games will be a part of a PS5 3.5 ReMIX release alongside 3 Re-Mind and MoM?
3.5 would be a good place for Union Cross and Dark Road movies if they're not going to remake them as games.

Chie

Awards
I think a Dark Road real!game is actually really likely (sooner or later). Nomura had the idea for Dark Road since before telephone!games took over development opportunities, and now the majority of the story is being made on a platform (UXDR) which is already dead as it's being developed. Seems like prime material for looking at and saying, "yknow, this isn't really what we wanted it to be, let's expand it when we get the chance".

Last edited:

AR829038

Awards
I think a Dark Road real!game is actually really likely (sooner or later). Nomura had the idea for Dark Road since before telephone!games took over development opportunities, and now the majority of the story is being made on a platform (UXDR) which is already dead as it's being developed. Seems like prime material for looking at and saying, "yknow, this isn't really what we wanted it do be, let's expand it when we get the chance".
I agree. Frankly, everything about how they're handling this shutdown seems to suggest that this is NOT what they planned, and now they're trying to make a hasty exit and wrap things up the best they can. I'm sure they would have liked Dark Road to go on for at least another year, and to be honest, I'm not sure how on earth they're going to conclude the story by later this year when the damn thing's only just started. My guess is, they'll either run at lightspeed to pump out TONS of story content up until shutdown for DR (which would be great, and I wish we could have gotten that for UX), OR they'll cut the story short, call it like a prelude or something, and then just make the Xehanort story an actual console title that picks up where the mobile game leaves off.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Am I right in thinking the English version is still way behind the Japanese one? Does that mean they will catch up by May? I'm pretty new to all of the UX stuff.

And Dark Road will also not continue for years?
Global started to receive double story updates starting last month, bringing its formerly 4-month gap down to what is currently 2. Assuming we continue at this pace, Global will not be fully caught up until the final update drops in April.

It's sad that after all these years, they've managed to keep story parity out of our reach.

Dark Road will only continue for a few more months after.

Back