• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

KINGDOM HEARTS Union X Finale

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It's honestly baffling to me that they just gave up the moment the money stopped.
You'd think maybe they'd at least be concerned about the PR here.

Global died as it lived, I guess.
It baffles me they don't even use a social media scheduler. Like, if you knew the update was going live at, say, 11pm, you could have scheduled a tweet to come exactly at that time. Or before.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It baffles me they don't even use a social media scheduler. Like, if you knew the update was going live at, say, 11pm, you could have scheduled a tweet to come exactly at that time. Or before.
You don’t even need a social media scheduler anymore. Twitter lets you do a scheduled tweet directly through them now instead of using TweetDeck or a third-party.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Y’all really had expectations of an abysmal community manager doing things in a timely manner for this game after SE could no longer exploit people for hundreds of dollars every two days?

GreyouTT

Awards
hey wait a minute

hrNfbNq.jpg

1623279150286.png

HamHamJ

Awards
god this thing took longer than expected

also, however many hours later, the notice went up lol

Yeah, that's how I read it as well. The line seems to imply that this "brand new heart" exists separately and Player's heart joins it rather than becomes it outright?

I feel like we're not really closer to pinpointing what exactly happens lol. They're no strangers to taking liberties with the script when needed yet kept this line very literal? I get the feeling the localization team doesn't know for sure either.

If you melt an ice cube and pour it into a glass of water, and then frieze it into an ice cube, is it the same ice cube you started out with?

I reiterate my point that this debate seems to just be pure semantics this side of the ship of Thesius.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Guys, this makes zero sense.

IMG_5756 (1).png
IMG_5757.png
IMG_5758.png

So... Darkness (originally 13 in number) gave up their form during a long battle, but realized they'd lose individual will if formless. Then some of them spread out and developed form—the origin of the Heartless—and the rest of the formless developed... individual will? These are blatantly contradictory statements. Did the localization team just phone it in? Or am I missing something?

HamHamJ

Awards
Guys, this makes zero sense.

View attachment 14025
View attachment 14026
View attachment 14027

So... Darkness (originally 13 in number) gave up their form during a long battle, but realized they'd lose individual will if formless. Then some of them spread out and developed form—the origin of the Heartless—and the rest of the formless developed... individual will? These are blatantly contradictory statements. Did the localization team just phone it in? Or am I missing something?
No that's pretty much the same as the fan translations from what I can see.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
No that's pretty much the same as the fan translations from what I can see.
No, drastically different implications.

Everglow's translation:
"However, when throwing away its physical form, it also loses sight of its purpose [...] Those darknesses don't have their own form, so they aim to increase their number, taking them from one to many. They've already increased, and the darkness that has a derived form is a Heartless. And those that don't have a form became individuals, waiting to possess people with strong hearts."

Goldplanner's translation:
"You see, I realized that when they threw away their form, they lost their own consciousness [...]
These thirteen darknesses expanded, propagating more formless shadows like themselves, and one turned into a whole. As their numbers grew, a breed of darkness with form came into being - the Heartless. And the collective without a form became individuals, waiting for the opportunity to nest within those who possess strong hearts."

In both cases, either "consciousness" or "purpose" is what was lost when Darkness became formless, and some of the formless Darknesses later became "individuals." These are not the same thing.

In the official translation, "individual will" was lost when Darkness became formless, and yet some of the formless Darknesses later developed "individual will." These are the same, and it makes literally no sense.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Did the localization team just phone it in? Or am I missing something?
Oh good, it's not just me who thought this dialogue was wacky.

I also took issue with this:

At the beginning of first scene:

MoM: "Haven't I told you? There's no way for us to win against the darkness. That's why we needed to use the time we had to get all those Keyblade wielders ready to pass the torch to the next generation. This world exists to nurture the Dandelions, our little seeds of light, so they can be sown into the future, where they CAN stop the darkness."

Later in this same conversation:

MoM: "Of those thirteen (darknesses), we'll trap the most powerful seven inside the hearts of each of us. We'll all go our separate ways and destroy the darkness wherever we end up."

He states that they can't defeat the darkness and have to rely on future Keyblade wielders to do so, yet follows up by saying that he and his disciples will take out seven of them on their own. Which is it, sir? Can you defeat the darkness or not?

Also, the face reveal scene: are we under the impression that it's meant to be an extension of the Back Cover ending or something different?

In Back Cover, Luxu says "May my heart be my guiding key."
In UX, "Luxu" says "My your heart be your guiding key."

Is this significant or just a blunder, I honestly have no idea. Considering the rest of this dialogue, I'm inclined to think the latter.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Also, the face reveal scene: are we under the impression that it's meant to be an extension of the Back Cover ending or something different?

Is this significant or just a blunder, I honestly have no idea. Considering the rest of this dialogue, I'm inclined to think the latter.
I noticed this too, and it’s driving me insane lol.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards

Considering the original JP phrase doesn't even have room for this distinction, yeah it's just the UX localizers once again showing absolutely no awareness of the previous games and missing obvious callbacks

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
People seem to have come to the conclusion that Luxu hijack Brain's body and yeeted his heart or taught him how to travel to the future somehow. There's precedence for the first part (see: Ansem SoD and Riku) but it's the time travel element that is questionable. Brain is under the impression that whatever method he used would have the same results as Lauriam and the others. Getting forced out of his own body and randomly shooting off into time and space probably wouldn't lead him to come to that conclusion?

I think it's too soon to tell right now without more context.
I agree with this statement. There are lots of theories, but until we get more information, we won't know. I'm just hoping Brain is still himself and not norted or anything like that, he seems like a good character.

Considering the original JP phrase doesn't even have room for this distinction, yeah it's just the UX localizers once again showing absolutely no awareness of the previous games and missing obvious callbacks
I read that some people are thinking that maybe this was on purpose, but who knows?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I read that some people are thinking that maybe this was on purpose, but who knows?
Knowing how piss-poor KHUX has handled the localization of that game, I'm 100% certain it was a mistake. We are talking about the people who took Guilt, a relevant plot point, and turned it into "Special Attack Bonus", "ark" into "lifeboat", and also just regularly disregards existing lines and callbacks in lieu of weird translations.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I assume the localization team for the mobile games is totally separate from the team that works on the main series? Cause yea, I'd call the whole official translation a disaster. Nomura's writing can be confusing, sure, but it's rarely communicated this poorly. UX is full of massive lore dumps so I can only hope SENA gets its shit together if they ever make a remake.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I assume the localization team for the mobile games is totally separate from the team that works on the main series? Cause yea, I'd call the whole official translation a disaster. Nomura's writing can be confusing, sure, but it's rarely communicated this poorly. UX is full of massive lore dumps so I can only hope SENA gets its shit together if they ever make a remake.
Nope! Same translators. Noriko Iwahara (Kingdom Hearts 2, 2.8, 3) and Kate Ellerhorst. I think the main thing is Brain Gray wasn’t working on Union X though.

Last edited:
Awards
Reminder that every post-KH2 callback to "We'll go together" is basically exclusive to Japan because translators can't figure out how to make it work in english

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Nope! Same translators. Noriko Iwahara (Kingdom Hearts 2, 2.8, 3) and Kate Ellerhorst. I think the main thing is Brain Gray wasn’t working on Union X though.
Interesting. I suppose there’s a lot more you can get away with when you’re not limited to just words on a screen with no voice and minimal gesture/camera work. I guess in retrospect KH3 and ReMind had some… questionable explanations for things as well lol. We’re stuck with “lifeboat” forever, it would seem!

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I've never really been invested in the official translations or anything, but why do I find myself explaining to people why the SENA's behavior with this is bad. Isn't it obvious how unprofessional they're handling this? I'm not upset over it, but like... shouldn't it bother you a little bit how little they care about it?

"It doesn't affect me, so I don't care! Why do you?"

I dunno, because what if they continue like this? What, are you going to defend them when they announce KH4 and the official US twitter accounts don't say anything about it or when it's coming or when it'll be released?? Imagine if Japan got a release date and the US Kingdom Hearts account is like, "Melody of Memory now available on the PS5! KH4 who? Oh yeah that. I guess we'll tweet about it someday."

Back