• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Kingdom Keys light and dark

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KeybladeMasterJr

Awards
Originally they were obtained because of the strong hearts of its wielders from the realm of light and dark but was changed in order to add more keybladers to the story, so why then is Sora so important?8C6EBF30-D4D3-4CAB-8B9E-05BB6AC5D5D2.png

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They haven't really changed the whole strong heart requirement.

Most wielders we are aware of have undergone the Keyblade Inheritance Ceremony to be able to have the chance at wielding a Keyblade IF they have a strong heart. They aren't guaranteed one, but if their heart is strong they will be able to call upon one. (i.e. Terra, Aqua, Riku, Lea, Mickey pretty much every UX and DR character we are aware of, Kairi by accident)

Then we have people who have the power by circumstance like Roxas, Xion, Vanitas...Replica Riku I guess??? He holds Way to Dawn...They can wield because of their association with the person they were "born" from.

Then we have Sora who is the biggest anomaly. He took Riku's Keyblade because he snatched it out of Riku's heart lol but then eventually the Keyblade chooses him. Anybody is honestly capable of this, but it's not common. Nomura has stated that Sora is a normal boy with nothing distinctly unique about him. If anything, what makes Sora unique is that he is willing to go above and beyond to do what he can for his friends, which allows him to accomplish feats that few others have. Again, anybody CAN do these things, but Sora ACTUALLY does it while others don't.

Sora is not extraordinary, but he is special because he loves his friends so strongly which gives him so much strength.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
It's quite simple, Sora is important because he's not special. He wasn't chosen by some Master or destined for it, he was just there and rose to the occasion. That applies even if you disregard everything game except 1, later games just expand on that exception.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I still don’t like this, might as well make everyone keyblade welders like Donald and Goofy since we are going this route

I think on some level the developers know we kind all hate the over-reliance on Keyblades, so they keep certain characters without them.

(Personally, I wish Nomura had never given Lea a damn Keyblade, and I think on some level he and the staff kinda regretted it too because Lea's Keyblade attacks are mostly just his chakrams lol)

Cumguardian69

Awards
I think the problem is you listened to the whole "The Keyblade is a legendary weapon" nonsense from KH1. The Keyblade was never unique nor was it ever SPECIAL. You could call it a sword instead of a keyblade and you'd probably understand that it's literally just a weapon. The real problem is caling the X-Blade unique, when it's literally just a key that can launch nuke codes but otherwise isn't so special

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Even in KH1's Ultimania, Nomura had confirmed the existence of other Keyblade wielders.

It was never the plan that KK and KKD would be the only ones, nor have they ever been particularly special among Keyblades.
Some people have this idea that KK and KKD are "the" Keyblades of the Realms of Light and Dark, and I really don't know where they got that from.

At any rate, I view Keyblades as manifestations of the heart's power. This falls in with the idea that Kingdom Hearts itself has a physical counterpart in the χ-blade. Keyblades are intended to replicate that relationship, I think. So it never feels like "come on, now he has a Keyblade, too??" because logically any heart should be capable. The only real requirement is being subjected to the virus-esque Inheritance (which Sora is solely exempt from), a rite so simple it's completed by merely touching a Keyblade.

In my opinion it'd be a lot more trite and boring if KH was another "chosen one" scenario with the one super-special magic maguffin that only the protagonist can use.

Back