• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Lack of modern political satire

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

2 quid is good

Awards
Is it just me, or has there been like, a dearth of funny pop protest songs, dramas, films and comedies that take aim at the way the world is?

Like yeah, there's plenty of shows which take aim at certain policies or issues with an episode or 2, but nothing very satirical where the entire purpose of the media is to critique the status quo. Stuff like "American Idiot" and the like.

It's especially noticeable with pop music, like I can't think of ANYTHING that came out recently other than This is America. Also in the UK, some of Stormzy's singles do have anti-establishment lyrics.

But like, it feels like we should have a whole lot more. I know in my childhood in the 2000s, there was plenty of protest songs getting to the top in Pakistan, and times are arguably worse now than then. Actually the thought of this thread came to me because of one I was listening to

Anyway, I hope someone will come along and tell me "no you're not the only one" or "Yes you are, here's a whole list of media"

Chie

Awards
Making fun of the status quo has become more difficult as the status quo itself has become hyper-aware and ironic. Properly addressing the scope of our reality requires much more serious effort than jokes or observations, lest you will create a "meme" that instantly enters humanity's "discourse".

I'll say this: Andrew Hussie's Psycholonials.

Back