• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Let's all go on strike, folks!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
So today, there's a national strike. They announced road blocks (yet I just arrived at work fine but whatev) and many companies just closed down for the day. Almost no public transportation. The harbour where I work is now deserted aside from my office. People are having trouble getting to school (while everyone knows damn well people are having exams)

Anycase, all of this got me wondering about strikes. Whether they still have a place in this world. Because if you ask me, at the very least this one will be entirely pointless. They're only on strike for a single day, that's nothing but a minor inconvenience and is unlikely to change a thing. (the reason btw are a couple of government mandated reforms to save up money). So I want to know what you guys think about strikes in general. Are they a necessity? Do they work? Is it only something to be used as a last resort (but gets abused far too easily) Or do you have any experience with a strike?

Originally, strikes came into being because of unreasonable demands made by the people in charge (read: people were being exploited) Today we face an economy that's, truth be told, still pretty much in the shitter. We all need help a little, everyone usually agrees. Untill they're told that, yes, it will actually affect them. Then suddenly everything becomes "unfair'. (or at least that's how it goes here, don't know about elsewhere). They, in a sense, lost their original meaning in my opinion.

Didn't know if I should put this here or in general, mods can move it.

Last edited:

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Strikes do work, because if they didn't, they would be taking far more effective measures than 'taking a single day off'. An entire workforce taking a single day off can cause repercussions for an entire week.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
It's true that it will have repercussions. But there's a difference between going on an unannounced indefinite strike and "scheduling" one. This comes across more as dickhole behavior. A scheduled one is imo far less likely to get results as everyone knows it's short-term. Not to mention they didn't even bother to at least try and talk with the government. Our government barely announced their plans and the unions already decided to go on strike.
Some actions (like aforementioned road blocks) are also terribly ill-considered since even some hospitals appear to be blocked and several bridges have been closed.

A strike is supposed to be last resort, but lately it looks like the first thing they go for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back