• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Level Reset Excuse

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

12kez90

It's happened in every game after the first game. CoM-Sora's memories were tampered with resulting in him forgetting skills, KH2-Sora was asleep for a year as a result becoming rusty(though this one makes the least sense) and in 3D-Sora had to start fresh. So what do you guys think KH3's excuse for Sora starting over?

Noel

Awards
Possibly due to Sora's Comatose like state when Young Xehanort had consumed him with darkness—not exactly that in that way, forgive me I've never played it— at the end uve' the Dream Drop Distance.

It's a recurring thing in most games and sequels. Beats how God of War just has Kratos fall in a pit with hungry souls though.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I had an idea while writing my original post (thanks to Noblesse Oblige's comment). Due to the fact that Sora was forced into the Darkness of his heart, he's lost access to his higher magic skills and combat abilities besides the skill to awaken sleeping hearts.

The skill system can involve some kind of "Light Points" that you need to unlock the abilities that are locked away by the Darkness. So instead of gaining higher-level magic by advancing the story and it being given to you, you have to unlock it on a skill map that can go many routes depending on where you want to spend the LP. Have an all-magic Sora by never spending points on physical skills, or a fire magic & offensive Sora by never touching non-Fire magic, or Sora who only concentrates on defense by spending all your points on defense. LP can be obtained by fighting enemies or completing certain tasks, bosses give the biggest amounts of LP, and you can refight tougher version of them for more LP (one time only as to not break the point system).

It'd be like the stat matrix in Re:coded but better mixed with the system the Dream Eaters did. And it'd all be Command Deck because Command Deck is supreme.

Okay, I'm done dreaming.

They don't need to explain anything at all.

They can easily just scale Sora to where he starts at "level 1" but with basic magic and skills that doesn't do much and continue to introduce "-za" magic (since we can get Graviza in KH3D and Mickey can use Stopza) and maybe make the ultimate level "-ja". That way Sora isn't starting off at the bottom but he is still bottom tier. That doesn't require any explanation 8D

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Possibly due to Sora's Comatose like state when Young Xehanort had consumed him with darkness—not exactly that in that way, forgive me I've never played it— at the end uve' the Dream Drop Distance.

It's a recurring thing in most games and sequels. Beats how God of War just has Kratos fall in a pit with hungry souls though.

That can work on Sora, but this time around I have no idea how they'll cover Donald and Goofy. I mean in 3D they're actually shown in their royal armour. How is it that Donald will revert back to being unable to use Thunder, Blizzard or Cure?

Gram

Banned
Awards
Aside the mentioned idea of Sora having took damage from falling into darkness/slumber I can't think of an in-game reason. Perhaps he won't need one (does any game really?) since from the in-game/character point of view it'd be a bit crippling for Sora to lose most his skills again with Xehanort's threat looming.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Aside the mentioned idea of Sora having took damage from falling into darkness/slumber I can't think of an in-game reason. Perhaps he won't need one (does any game really?) since from the in-game/character point of view it'd be a bit crippling for Sora to lose most his skills again with Xehanort's threat looming.

But can they really start the game with Sora knowing every spell? Don't they need some build up? I wouldn't mind having Sora start from nothing because of the darkness thing, but have Donald and Goofy relatively strong to make up for his faults (ie Donald can use Cure).

Gram

Banned
Awards
But can they really start the game with Sora knowing every spell? Don't they need some build up? I wouldn't mind having Sora start from nothing because of the darkness thing, but have Donald and Goofy relatively strong to make up for his faults (ie Donald can use Cure).

You start BBS & DDD with the characters knowing a few spells so I don't see why it'd be a problem here. =3

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
He has to pass Mark of Mastery test. So, he's has to start from scratch from that point again.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Weren't his skills tied to his Dream Eaters? If that's the case I guess they can say that upon leaving his Dream Eaters behind he lost most of his abilities again or somethin' somethin'. Plus, most of the skills he learned were in a dream world. They could also always say that Sora "knows" the moves but they don't automatically translate into the real world so he has to relearn them little by little.

He has to pass Mark of Mastery test. So, he's has to start from scratch from that point again.

He doesn't even wanna be a master tho~

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Weren't his skills tied to his Dream Eaters? If that's the case I guess they can say that upon leaving his Dream Eaters behind he lost most of his abilities again or somethin' somethin'. Plus, most of the skills he learned were in a dream world. They could also always say that Sora "knows" the moves but they don't automatically translate into the real world so he has to relearn them little by little.

He doesn't even wanna be a master tho~

The point is. He embarks in a new journey to train even if he was undaunted by his failure. So, its Sora again back in level one lol.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Why? Sora doesn't care about being a master nor will being a master really change much other than giving him the power to release his heart.

Noel

Awards
You know, It feels odd having to start at literally from level 1. Why not level 2 and immediately on to level 3, so it can allude it's self to remembering you're playing KH3 like in FF7?

In a gameplay aspect, having everything from KH2, and even more skills in KH3 would overcomplicate things.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Why? Sora doesn't care about being a master nor will being a master really change much other than giving him the power to release his heart.

Don't ask me. Ask the guy making the game. Like I said, the point is not storyline wise. This is obviously a ploy from the same developers to start brand a new journey fresh from the start. We ALL know Sora is Master in our HEARTS.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
I think it's wrong to assume "Level 1" is referring to the same Level 1 in every game. Sora might drop his spells and Commands every game, but he's clearly doing bigger and stronger things in each game. He temporarily inconveniences Jafar in KH1 at early-mid-game or so with back up support, he kills Jafar all-but-single-handedly in KH2 at only a few levels higher. He kills Ursula in KH1 at mid game with backup, he kills her almost off-handedly during a musical sequence in KH2, and he kills her at Level 1 in DDD (though she's not quite at her full power). And he learned Flowmotion first thing in DDD, which I doubt would have been the case for Sora fresh off the island in KH1.

Really, I think Square was making a mistake by providing a an explanation in the first place. Why does Sora not have his Fire spell? I don't know, and I find I also don't particularly care? If the games stopped bringing it up, I'd stop noticing entirely. Remember Final Fantasy 4, when Cecil was in charge of a world-conquering military force at Level 10, a level Rydia reaches within one dungeon? You probably never noticed. If it had never come up, we'd never have objected.

In the end Sora's definitely not really regressing to his former weak self. The game just says "Level 1" to mean something else entirely. When Sora starts off in KH3, I don't doubt he's going to be stronger than ever, even if it once again says "Level 1."

Last edited:

Seighart

Awards
I think it's wrong to assume "Level 1" is referring to the same Level 1 in every game. Sora might drop his spells and Commands every game, but he's clearly doing bigger and stronger things in each game. He temporarily inconveniences Jafar in KH1 at early-mid-game or so with back up support, he kills Jafar all-but-single-handedly in KH2 at only a few levels higher. He kills Ursula in KH1 at mid game with backup, he kills her almost off-handedly during a musical sequence in KH2, and he kills her at Level 1 in DDD (though she's not quite at her full power). And he learned Flowmotion first thing in DDD, which I doubt would have been the case for Sora fresh off the island in KH1.

Really, I think Square was making a mistake by providing a an explanation in the first place. Why does Sora not have his Fire spell? I don't know, and I find I also don't particularly care? If the games stopped bringing it up, I'd stop noticing entirely. Remember Final Fantasy 4, when Cecil was in charge of a world-conquering military force at Level 10, a level Rydia reaches within one dungeon? You probably never noticed. If it had never come up, we'd never have objected.

In the end Sora's definitely not really regressing to his former weak self. The game just says "Level 1" to mean something else entirely. When Sora starts off in KH3, I don't doubt he's going to be stronger than ever, even if it once again says "Level 1."

This as well. The "Level Reset Excuse" seems like its something people feel entitled to having. I've seen plenty of sequels where the character starts almost completely over. Gameplay wise, it would feel very, very boring to start off with everything from the last game. In an rpg, that would mean there's no real progression from a small force to a powerful force.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Final Fantasy X and X2 are two really good examples. Yuna goes from a Summoner to a exuberant woman that is journeying again looking for her man. Not that its a big deal or it should be looked at. It's just funny.

Shinra

Banned
Awards
hmmm how about this? a combo AP/EXP system similar to FF12's? where you get a certain amount of AP for skill/ability learning and extra stats, and EXP for leveling up giving you a basic stat boost (Attack, Defense, Magic, HP, MP)

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I had an idea while writing my original post (thanks to Noblesse Oblige's comment). Due to the fact that Sora was forced into the Darkness of his heart, he's lost access to his higher magic skills and combat abilities besides the skill to awaken sleeping hearts.

The skill system can involve some kind of "Light Points" that you need to unlock the abilities that are locked away by the Darkness. So instead of gaining higher-level magic by advancing the story and it being given to you, you have to unlock it on a skill map that can go many routes depending on where you want to spend the LP. Have an all-magic Sora by never spending points on physical skills, or a fire magic & offensive Sora by never touching non-Fire magic, or Sora who only concentrates on defense by spending all your points on defense. LP can be obtained by fighting enemies or completing certain tasks, bosses give the biggest amounts of LP, and you can refight tougher version of them for more LP (one time only as to not break the point system).

It'd be like the stat matrix in Re:coded but better mixed with the system the Dream Eaters did. And it'd all be Command Deck because Command Deck is supreme.

Okay, I'm done dreaming.

Funnily enough, this reminded me of the Sphere Grid from Final Fantasy X and the License System from Final Fantasy XII. If they could come up with that through the stat matrix, that would be awesome.

They can easily just scale Sora to where he starts at "level 1" but with basic magic and skills that doesn't do much and continue to introduce "-za" magic (since we can get Graviza in KH3D and Mickey can use Stopza) and maybe make the ultimate level "-ja". That way Sora isn't starting off at the bottom but he is still bottom tier. That doesn't require any explanation 8D

I think some -ja spells would be nice. They did say Sora was going to be super powerful by the end.

hmmm how about this? a combo AP/EXP system similar to FF12's? where you get a certain amount of AP for skill/ability learning and extra stats, and EXP for leveling up giving you a basic stat boost (Attack, Defense, Magic, HP, MP)

That's definitely an interesting idea.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Xemnas will Karate Chop Sora on the back, making him forget everything.

I don't want an explanation for why Sora will be level one in III. Just make him level one because gameplay, that's it.

I would really like that, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back