What's new

Welcome to Kingdom Hearts Insider

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Ask question

Ask Questions and Get Answers from Our Community

Ask a Mod

Ask Questions from your staff

Contact Staff

If you need additional information or have a concern please contact us.

• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Maleficent and Pete Never Should've Been a Partnership

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

darknessofheart

Reaction score
Awards
This is a random thread, but to this day it still doesn't make sense to me that, out of all the right-hand people Maleficent could've recruited, she settled on Pete, whose main motivation at that point was to get more votes in Disney Town by dressing up in costumes. Yet, she believed he had the power to help her "rule all worlds." Why? Will this too need a few spinoff games to make sense via overcomplicated plot points and retcons? Does Pete have the heart of an ancient keyblade wielder of darkness that traveled from the past? (that was a joke...hopefully).

What makes this even funnier is that in KH3, Pete seemed to have more sense than Maleficent in that he realized that taking a tip from a stranger and using that as an incentive to search world after world for a box might not be the most effective plan. Normura is a pretty bad writer, but these two are truly indicative of him not knowing what to do with certain characters. For three games now, they have done nothing. If they were meant to be built up, job horribly done then because as far I'm concerned, the more we see them, the more moronic they seem.

Last edited:

AR829038

Reaction score
Awards
This is a random thread, but to this day it still doesn't make sense to me that, out of all the right-hand people Maleficent could've recruited, she settled on Pete, who's main motivation at that point was to get more votes in Disney Town by dressing up in costumes. Yet, she believed he had the power to help her "rule all worlds." Why? Will this too need a few spinoff games to make sense via overcomplicated plot points and retcons?

What makes this even funnier is that in KH3, Pete seemed to have more sense than Maleficent in that he realized that taking a tip from a stranger and using that as an incentive to search world after world for a box might not be the most effective plan. Normura is a pretty bad writer, but these two are truly indicative of him not knowing what to do with certain characters. For three games now, they have done nothing. If they were meant to be built up, job horribly done then because as far I'm concerned, the more we see them, the more moronic they seem.
I'm sure they just keep them around out of obligation at this point, to be honest. It is clear that they have no long-term plan for them, and they're probably just stuck with using them because they're the only Disney villains that matter worth a damn in this series.
I mean, her role was clear in KH1, but after that, she just started falling further and further downhill. I mean, what was her main goal in KH2 even? To find a new castle? Yawn. And where did Pete even come from when he was totally absent the first game?
I mean, she was at least the main antagonist again in Coded, but all she was doing was trying to take over data-worlds that were of very little consequence to the real world, and in DDD, she had almost nothing at all to do. She tried to take over Disney Castle at one point, and that's it. Now, after completely bungling her in KH3, where she is literally aimlessly wandering around the story trying to figure out what the heck she's supposed to do, they're trying to finally revive some of her relevance by shoehorning her into KHUX, and while I'm really glad and surprised that we're actually getting a decades-delayed explanation for her resurrection in KH2, it's been made clear by these recent developments that even now, and even with Xehanort out of the picture, Maleficent is still just being used by someone else, namely Darkness (most likely Ava).
And yeah, Pete is completely useless, and he detracts entirely from Maleficent's evil presentation. I don't understand why they couldn't have Maleficent at least work on gathering her old recruits and try to salvage what's left of the Disney villain league from KH1, or maybe even recruit some new members. The idea that Pete is somehow of such use to her as to be basically her partner and sole henchman is ludicrous. And yeah, the reasons for her busting him out of dimensional prison in BBS are laughable and ill-thought out.
I really pray that Nomura finds something important and cool for her to do in the coming games. Otherwise, he might as well just get rid of her and find a new Disney villain to bring along for the ride.

SweetYetSalty

Reaction score
Awards
Does Pete have the heart of an ancient keyblade wielder of darkness that traveled from the past? (that was a joke...hopefully).
I'm not going to lie this part here made me laugh so hard. Pete is MoM's cat from a alternate timeline. I'm calling it now.

As for his partnership with Maleficent? I'm kinda torn. I love Pete as a comical villain, I think he still works and I hope they use him more. Maleficent on the other hand is really starting to wear out her welcome. She doesn't feel interesting or threatening as she did in KH1. I was okayish with her in BBS but KH2 and other games... couldn't those schemes have just been Pete alone? I hate saying that because I enjoy Maleficent as a villain in general, but if they legit have no plans for her then are we really losing anything?

darknessofheart

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not going to lie this part here made me laugh so hard. Pete is MoM's cat from a alternate timeline. I'm calling it now.

As for his partnership with Maleficent? I'm kinda torn. I love Pete as a comical villain, I think he still works and I hope they use him more. Maleficent on the other hand is really starting to wear out her welcome. She doesn't feel interesting or threatening as she did in KH1. I was okayish with her in BBS but KH2 and other games... couldn't those schemes have just been Pete alone? I hate saying that because I enjoy Maleficent as a villain in general, but if they legit have no plans for her then are we really losing anything?

I think you hit on it perfectly. Both, by themselves, are fine characters. It's the fact that they are joined together since KH2 that is one of the problems. It's not only because neither has done anything really substantial, but also because Maleficent being "the Mistress of All Evil" and Pete being more a bully with a hidden heart of gold just doesn't mesh well. I think Pete's story arc could've be one of redemption, but more along the lines of Maleficent's "bottom of the barrel" minions that ascended to her right hand after she lost everyone else and he would slowly become disenchanted because he was never that bad of a guy to begin with. But then BBS established he was the first one to be recruited.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Commander
Reaction score
Awards

Exactly

If you kept Maleficent dead after KH1 literally nothing would have changed. Pete could have been the antagonist for the first half of KH2 all by himself.

KH3 really hammered in how worthless Maleficent is in the grand scheme of things post KH1.

Noivern

Reaction score
Awards
Ehh, I have mixed feelings. I think their dynamic is interesting in how Pete is usually the one who knowsh is own place while Maleficent is loosing herself more and more to her pride and greediness, but I don't really like what they did to her character after KH1 either.

Having replayed both games back to back in the past two weeks, it's ridiculous how she goes from an actual threatening figure in KH1 to a pushover and eventually comic relief in KH2 (I'm sure I'm not the only one who found it funny to see Saix putting her in her place after the Battle of the 1000 Heartless, or when she tried to take over the Organization's castle? even funnier when you already know that there's no castle left for her to control lmao)

BBS put even more salt in the wound showing that her manipulation in the hands of Xehanort went way back. It's ridiculous to imagine her being the cause of the fall of Radiant Garden nowadays (even though a good chunk of that is attribuited to Ansem and Xehanort, technically).

That being said, It barely made sense for Pete to have control over darkness when he's just a goofus most of the time. I'm assuming it was mostly thanks to Maleficent and he would have never been able to do it on his own otherwise.

KeybladeLordSora

Motivation.
Reaction score
Awards
Do Disney themselves even care about Classic Maleficent at this point?

No, really. Do they? I legit don't know.

disney233

Reaction score
Awards
KH3 has proven how worthless both the Disney aspect and the Final Fantasy aspect is. It began in BBS, where characters like Tramaine & Evil Queen had the potential of being utilized throughout the series. Hell, why abandon the Magic Mirror? The literal mirror that knows just about everything? In the end, big bad characters like those were one and done just like MANY Disney characters.

I like Pete, but even I have to agree that he's the one taking the show more than Maleficent. I...never liked the idea that the 'Mistress of all Evil' is a puppet to LITERALLY EVERYONE. Like, bruh. It's also hilarious how she just....allows dusks to just go on her, lol. 'Threatening' ever since the Xehanorts & the Organization came in, Maleficent has become nothing more than a joke character and a disgrace.

Honestly, that being said, it's kinda insulting how the Disney characters, especially the villains are just shoved away in favor of the original. What's the point of using Disney characters if literally 7 out of probably thousands have importance? And after KH3, even 7 is a bit too generous

Fairy Godmother better have a damn good reason to be in Re:Mind.

shape1
shape2
shape3
shape4
shape5
shape6