• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Maleficent

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

kago

It bodes well for Alice in Wonderland that Disney are now reportedly lining up another revisionist re-take on one of their cartoon classics for Tim Burton to direct. Maleficent will be a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty story that focuses on the Mistress of all Evil instead of that pretty somnambulist and her slightly creepy Prince Phillip.

The studio registered the domain name maleficentmovie.com some time last summer, so I’ve been waiting for news a while. Of course, until now I wasn’t entirely convinced it was going to be a live action picture - well, in so much as it will be live action, which I’m expecting will be probably to just the extent that Alice is - and not an animated spin-off, a la the Tinkerbell series or that Timon and Pumbaa picture.
One question is where this leaves Burton’s Dark Shadows, a film we had previously been told would shoot this year.

Producer Graham King told CHUD last week that there was not yet a finished Dark Shadows script. Seeing as there’s no scheduled release date for the picture, and that Johnny Depp could easily find another one of his nascent projects to slip into place, I’d think we’ll be on hold a while before Shadows goes before cameras.

Burton also has his Frankenweenie stop motion picture gearing up to go, but even if he doesn’t co-direct that one, as he did The Corpse Bride, the nature of animation should allow him energy and time to overlap some serious preproduction on another film.

The character of Maleficent is a Disney creation, the original storyline having an un-named evil fairy godmother. Since appearing in their Sleeping Beauty toon - in which she had some quite brilliantly grotesque sidekick-minions that I’d love to see in the Maleficent movie - she’s cropped up in the House of Mouse TV series and the Kingdom Hearts videogames, both times as the supreme evil mastermind behind the heroes’ and heroines’ suffering. Essentially, she’s the BIG Big Bad at Disney. As such, I’m not sure they’ll let the adult Maleficent be a sympathetic character and if she’s really going to be the film’s protagonist, I suspect we’ll have to go back in time a little, a la Wicked, and find out just why she’s grinding her axes.

Source: www.slashfilm.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you guys think about this?

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Re: Maleficent the movie

Wow, a Wicked rip-off. Still, I love Maleficent. Despite my distaste for Burton, I've got high hopes for this movie.

While other kids worshiped the heroes, I simply adored Maleficent as I kid. I have so many toys and posters and stuff of her. xD

Aria

braver by the minute

Cool, I just hope they don't try to make her look like she really was a "good guy".

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

I wouldn't mind if they started out with her being with Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather as the "purple fairy" and then slowly seeing her descent into evil.

Aria

braver by the minute

I wouldn't mind that, I just wouldn't like if it was like "oh she thought it was all for the best blah blah blah" (about Sleeping Beauty) That I wouldn't be able to stand.

Radon

mofo

Wow I never saw this coming. I have high hopes for this movie, but I just hope that they don't make her character too nice or childish. I want her character to be just as evil as she was in Sleeping Beauty.

kago

Wow I never saw this coming. I have high hopes for this movie, but I just hope that they don't make her character too nice or childish. I want her character to be just as evil as she was in Sleeping Beauty.

Really? I was waiting for something like this to happen. Now Disney needs to make a Snow White sequel or prequel, then they basically did all the Princess classics. I was wondering why it was taking them forever. But i'm excited for this one, Maleficent and Ursula are my favorite fictional villians. So i'm hoping the movie sticks with Maleficent's personality.

Birnax

A Maleficent movie sounds cool. I just hope it will be good.

magic713

Awards

As long as they don't try and make her a sympathetic charcter like they did in the protagonist in Wicked (though that worked out well in my opinion because of the actors) I am fine with it.

Last edited:

Radon

mofo

As long as it comes with her personality, green fire and horns intact it should be good.

Ventus Air-Man

Wanderer
Awards

A Maleficnent movie huh? I'll be sure to catch it. But, hopefully it won't be like it's predecessor, the original Sleeping Beauty.

SuperSailorEarth

I will see it. And I will have hopes for it. Even before KH, she is IMO the most badass villain of all time.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'm hoping that this is true, especially with Tim Burton being the director. Maleficent's my favourite Disney villain, and Tim Burton directing would be SO FREAKIN' AWESOME 8D I don't think this'll be a Wicked rip-off, since they might not focus on good qualities of her so much but on her personality instead since we didn't get to see much of it in the movie.

Anywho~ MALEFICENT MOVIEEEEEE :DDD

kago

New article on the movie:

From her two-pronged headdress down to her pet crow, Sleeping Beauty's Maleficent has always been the baddest of the bad. She's so delightfully evil she may be the first Disney villain to get her own live action feature. Even though Cruella de Vil was brought to life by Glenn Close, she was always second banana to the pound of dalmatians. Rumor has it that Disney wants a Maleficient-centric script - they're fat with Alice In Wonderland cash and ready to spend a little more. Hoping to strike it rich again Disney has hired Alice's screenwriter Linda Woolverton to write the screenplay.
But also by hiring Woolverton, they're reignited the rumors that Tim Burton might want to direct this feature, since they worked so well before. Internet rumors are swirling that the dark director is very interested in the project. We're just hoping the new script may have more of a Wicked feeling and less of the "let's put Helena Bonham Carter in it" Burton style.
According to THR: Woolverton's "Maleficent" movie would tell the classic fairy tale from the point of view of the self-proclaimed "Mistress of All Evil," offering a new take on a classic tale as she did with Lewis Carrol's "Alice."
Maleficent is a top-tier Disney villain, right up there with the Evil Queen from Snow White - who, if this film works out, would be an awesome snobby NYC roommate for the Maleficent sequel, Maley Takes on The Big City.

Source: bio9

Back