• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Michigan lawmaker banned from speaking for saying vagina.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
Yeah really, woww ridiculous. Not a good direction to be headed in, I feel like things like this will become more common where you have people getting super butt hurt about petty crap and then they blow the shit out of it.

Really what other word should have been used? Vagina is the biological/scientific/medical, ACTUAL term.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
uhh, what happened to freedom of speech? :X
It never existed.

But yeah, this is horrible. I find that it has little to do with the use of the word, and more to do with the fact that the US has this growing issue with limiting any rights a woman may have. It's not so much about silencing the representative over the use of the word and more to do with silencing women who have the audacity to speak out.

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
It never existed.

But yeah, this is horrible. I find that it has little to do with the use of the word, and more to do with the fact that the US has this growing issue with limiting any rights a woman may have. It's not so much about silencing the representative over the use of the word and more to do with silencing women who have the audacity to speak out.

I think maybe it has to do more with the fact that it probably wasn't the right time and place to say it.

But this:

"Finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no,'"

Hahhhh! Atleast this woman knows how to set her limits.

and this:
"If I can't say the word vagina, why are we legislating vaginas?" Brown asked. "What language should I use?"
got it back, gurlll! lol.

In all seriousness however,
people just need to get over themselves. (in both senses) she could've used the word a little more properly and the people that prohibit her from speaking should stop blinding themselves. it's a word, nothing out of the ordinary.

State

Awards
I can understand banning the "vulgar" ways of calling a woman's sexual-reproduction organ like pussy, but vagina?! For God's sake, that's how you call it at Sex and Health class! Or is it the cherry? -.-"

Seriously, an idiom is a way to communicate things. Words "offend" people because they WANT to be offended, not because they're made to offend. I'm called idiot, bastard, faggot, motherkupoer and I don't feel offended! It's a matter of learning to ignore people and develop the maturity that words don't mean much.

.Oji

&#36196;&#12356;&#12486;&#12461;&#12473;&#12488;
So...

You can make laws regulating vaginas, making decisions about women's vaginas for them, but you can't actually say the word vagina [because you find the word deplorable?]. Yes. Yes, that makes total sense.

What are they, kupoing kindergarteners? What less anatomical code words are they using to describe what they're legislating on? Honestly. I want to know.

They clearly don't want women to debate the issue; if you're not doing exactly as they tell them with your body, if you have the nerve to complain, you're banned. That simple.

That's like the definition of undemocratic.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
This makes me so angry. So, so fucking angry, you have no idea. That and the fact that the anti-abortion bill was passed. America sure is an ass-backwards country. Stop inserting your fucking faith into fucking politics and do what is right for your people, not for yourself. Because I don't know if you knew this, senators who are mostly men, but you can not get pregnant, it is not you who will be dumped with the baby because you have every choice and chance to run away, and it is not you suffering.

Voltron

Silver Member
Me and my friend were arguing about this last night. He took the side of that it was inappropriate behavior and that she knew that it would get attention. I still fail to see his logic in how it was inappropriate when that's the right term for the area they were discussing.

Everyone who doesn't live in America pray your nation doesn't start becoming nuts.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
anti-abortion isn't necessarily about faith or religion, Ehres.

No, but American Republican governmental officials have a track-record of being (mostly) Christian fanatics who'd rather we all live back in the 1800s where women had no say, homosexuality was punishable by death and everyone was a churchgoer without fail. Surprise, the world's not so archaic anymore.

Voltron

Silver Member
No, but American Republican governmental officials have a track-record of being (mostly) Christian fanatics who'd rather we all live back in the 1800s where women had no say, homosexuality was punishable by death and everyone was a churchgoer without fail. Surprise, the world's not so archaic anymore.

You pretty much summed up the American Republican party. Pretty much every one of the Republicans that I know find this issue (women's rights) to be annoying. And guess what? THEY'RE ALL MEN SAYING IT'S ANNOYING!

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
You pretty much summed up the American Republican party. Pretty much every one of the Republicans that I know find this issue (women's rights) to be annoying. And guess what? THEY'RE ALL MEN SAYING IT'S ANNOYING!

What? lol okay well I know women who do not agree that abortion should be legal in any manner whatsoever.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Are they Christian, just curious. Because if yes than that is possibly why.

Some of them are, I don't know if all of them are. I know one that is Jewish.

Ehres said:
The difference is that the women you know aren't lawmakers.

....Do you believe that there aren't female legislators that oppose abortion?
Because they exist in my local congress.

I wasn't so much referring to abortion as I was the whole issue of women's right, including birth control, equal pay, etc....

Right well some women oppose abortion but still support equal pay, or oppose birth control, or support it, or any combination of that crap.

ThePromise

Tired
Awards
...So ...how is the word vagina such a cruel and hurtful word to use in a debate about ..you know ...abortions?

Callton made it seem as though she cursed entire religions and slandered countless ethniticies in one sentence..but the word vagina in a debate about abortions?

Sensitive people.

Awards
The context in which she used the word was off-color and unnecessary. Straight up. There were much better ways she could have chosen to articulate herself, and yes, she probably said what she said for attention.

Reverse the situation for a second, and imagine that a male congressman had said this to a female speaker: "Finally, Ms. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my penis, but 'no' means 'no.'" You are either lying to yourself or delusional if you don't think that he'd be slapped with a harassment lawsuit at the very least. Even if it was part of a speech that concerned the male reproductive system in some way.

"What she said was offensive," Callton told The Detroit News. "It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

Callton sounds like a spineless bitch with a penchant for hyperbole, but the bottom line is that Brown shouldn't have said what she said. Whether or not banning her from speaking is a proper action to take, I don't really know or care.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
While I think the whole situation is overblown and not enough to ban her from speaking, Ihave to agree with this:
The context in which she used the word was off-color and unnecessary. Straight up. There were much better ways she could have chosen to articulate herself, and yes, she probably said what she said for attention.

Reverse the situation for a second, and imagine that a male congressman had said this to a female speaker: "Finally, Ms. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my penis, but 'no' means 'no.'" You are either lying to yourself or delusional if you don't think that he'd be slapped with a harassment lawsuit at the very least. Even if it was part of a speech that concerned the male reproductive system in some way.
Overall, political correctness gone mad this is. An obvious cheap excuse to get rid of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back