• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Moana (2016) - "You're Welcome!"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
original.png

Next comes the return of the famous Disney directing duo Ron Celements and John Musker with Moana. This film is a Polynesian story that follows island inhabitants and tiki idols “made famous the world over.” This very much gives an Enchanted Tiki Room vibe and could be a potential tie-in to that ride and the parks. The style of this film’s animation is unknown, but it will either be their first CGI film or a CGI/2D hybrid much like the short Paperman.

New Disney Animation Films Announced: 'Zootopia', 'Giants', 'Moana' & More!
The main character will be Moana Waialiki, a sea voyaging enthusiast, and the only daughter of a chief in a long line of navigators. When her family needs her help, she sets off on an epic journey. The film will also include demi-gods and spirits taken from real mythology

Not much on this film yet, but I felt that since it uses the same CG/2D style that Paperman did, this would be a good topic to have around.

Just yesterday, an interview with John Lasseter came out where he pretty bluntly said 2D wasn't dead and I think this might be what he meant. 2D animation is still evolving even now and I think Disney is prepping to make this their future legacy.

Last edited:

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Re: Moana (2018) - Uses Paperman technology

Well Paperman was absolutely beautiful in every way, so more of that is welcome. And seems about time they make something out of the Tiki Room, will keep this on my radar

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

So this is the mystery movie they've been working on, eh? Sounds fun!

Gram

Banned
Awards

Sounds like it'd be a movie worth checking out. The 2D hope~

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Excited to see the new animation style used again! It was so gorgeous in Paperman and really helped to make that short something special, so if this is the route Disney decides to pursue for their future... I'm fine with it.

moonstar_xo

2018...o_o

I'm very excited for this, though. Hoping this animation technique is used more often! It's something that could make Disney animation unique.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Like others have stated, I'm sold on this movie only because it uses the same style as Paperman.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Moana has been confirmed to not use the Paperman style, sadly. This I learned in a discussion in the Ultimatedisney.com forum from someone whom I shall quote here.

Sotiris said:
It turns out Moana will be indeed in ordinary CG.

A member of the Italian board Disney Digital Forum named Scissorhands attended the D23 Expo and asked around about Moana. Here's what he found out.

Scissorhands said:
I had the opportunity to briefly talk to Ron Clements and John Musker. You can imagine my excitement. I asked if there is any chance their film will be in 2D. They answered diplomatically saying it would be very very very difficult (so no) and that in any case the film is actually in the early stages of development. Then I turned around and they were gone! I wanted to ask if there was at least a possibility of using the Paperman technique. Oh, well.

Then all of a sudden I see Nik Ranieri in the collectors booth signing autographs for a fee ($ 5). What can I say? It was amazing. We talked a lot and he drew me a sketch with a dedication (I asked for Hades; it was $25). [...] He told me he was looking for work, that he's having a hard time, that he has a family to support, and was very disheartened about the whole 2D thing. He said that according to him Disney did not support The Princess and the Frog enough, and having them make Pooh afterwards was suicide. He also said that at the last meeting Lasseter was very clear; Moana will be in CGI. So for now use of the Paperman technique is not planned. [...]
Source: Moana - Disney Digital Forum

Given the very nature of the internet, I still take this with a grain of salt, but sadly, it seems believable.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Think I'll wait for word for other sources as well before taking it to heart.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Yeah, there seems to be some confusion, now. Here's a blog post saying it's still gonna be done in the style.

What D23 Says About The State Of Disney Feature Animation | The Playlist

and the most exciting project on the slate as far as we're concerned—"Moana," a Polynesian fairytale directed by Ron Clements and John Musker, two genuine Disney legends who directed "The Little Mermaid," "Aladdin" and "Princess and the Frog." What makes this project even more exciting is that it will be the first feature-length production to utilize the 2D/3D hybridization style that was first exhibited in last year's Academy Award-winning short film "Paperman" (and in the impressively resurrected Mickey Mouse short "Get A Horse," which will play with "Frozen").

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

original.png

original.jpg

tumblr_mxv18fpj2j1rntya2o1_250.jpg

tumblr_mxv18fpj2j1rntya2o5_250.jpg

tumblr_mxv18fpj2j1rntya2o4_250.jpg

The main character will be Moana Waialiki, a sea voyaging enthusiast, and the only daughter of a chief in a long line of navigators. When her family needs her help, she sets off on an epic journey. The film will also include demi-gods and spirits taken from real mythology

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Yes to all of this! I am so ready for this film. Journey, probably no male love interest (please Disney don't do it, or if you do make it implied like in Atlantis), and demi-gods/spirits/mythology in general that isn't associated to Greek/Roman anything yesssss.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

holy crap, the premise sounds incredible. I'm with you master spockanort, I really want to see demigods and spirits from mythologies other than greek mythology

(though I don't mind if she gets a love interest, LOL)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

holy crap, the premise sounds incredible. I'm with you master spockanort, I really want to see demigods and spirits from mythologies other than greek mythology

(though I don't mind if she gets a love interest, LOL)

I don't really mind, but Frozen left a nasty taste in my mouth for some reason so I just want a good adventure film. xD

Now to sit and wait forever for this...

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

I don't really mind, but Frozen left a nasty taste in my mouth for some reason so I just want a good adventure film. xD

Now to sit and wait forever for this...

This please. I'm all for adventure.

I hope they don't sterilise the style at all, those concepts look cool.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

This please. I'm all for adventure.

I hope they don't sterilise the style at all, those concepts look cool.

i have a feeling they probably will, unfortunately. typically there's a ton of concept art done for disney films and some of it looks nothing like the finished film.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

i have a feeling they probably will, unfortunately. typically there's a ton of concept art done for disney films and some of it looks nothing like the finished film.

That's true, unfortunately. The designs that Chaser posted probably won't be what we see in the film. Oh well, I'm sure the end result will still look stunning.

It sucks that we have to wait four years for this film T-T

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Re: Moana (2016)

2016? Yes!!. We only have to wait two more years. Is anyone else really excited for this film? From what we've seen of images and artwork, It looks gorgeous and the culture and mythology sounds so interesting. I think I might actually want to learn a bit about Polynesian mythology before the film comes out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back