• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Morality: Right, Wrong, and Whatever.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Just some things I want to get other people's perspectives on. What do you think about morality? Does the concept of right and wrong exist? And if so, how do you define it? If right and wrong exists, what makes something right or wrong? Do humans have an inherent moral nature? And if so, do you think humans are naturally good or evil? Is morality natural? If morality isn't natural but still exists, then why does it exist?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
What do you think about morality?
It can be useful or meaningless, helpful or dangerous, depending on the circumstances.

Does the concept of right and wrong exist?
Of course the concepts exist, we work with them every day. Is there actually right and wrong? I don't know, but I think that's a less interesting question than, say, how we apply it or how we come to think of something as right/wrong, etc.

And if so, how do you define it?
The most general ethical principle I can think of is where you don't do to others what they don't want done to them or their property. Non-initiation of force is also a big one.

If right and wrong exists, what makes something right or wrong?
How it affects the recipient/subject/victim of an action, and what they think of it.

Do humans have an inherent moral nature?
Yes, but it relies on a few fundamentals that can easily be ignored for one's own selfish reasons. Mostly, it relies on you seeing other people as their own moral agents and not philosophical zombies. The selfish - in some ways rightly so - have no reason to value someone else over themselves, and so act towards their own interests more than those of others.

And if so, do you think humans are naturally good or evil?
Humans are naturally wonderful and deeply flawed. Anything else seems like too much of a generalisation or simplification.

Is morality natural? If morality isn't natural but still exists, then why does it exist?
Morality isn't natural as a thing unto itself, but it is emergent from natural and non-conceptual things. Animals working together in a pack need some very basic morals to function better together so as to survive, for instance.

I'll add more thoughts when more responses come along. I could offer a lot more, but I think starting a thread's replies with a wall of text isn't the best way to begin on such a topic many of us can contribute to.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Here are my personal views on the matter:

What do you think about morality?

It's a thing that definitely impacts our lives.

Does the concept of right and wrong exist?

As a social construct, yes.

And if so, how do you define it?

I believe that morality is little more than something that societies of any kind use to regulate the actions of those within it.

If right and wrong exists, what makes something right or wrong?

Someone suggests that something is either right or wrong, and enough people in the society agree with it.

Do humans have an inherent moral nature?

Not especially. I think that most of our ideas of morality come from two places: Our ideas concerning our own well-being (i.e., I don't like being hurt, so if someone hurts me, it's wrong) and conditioning (i.e., what your environment teaches you). The former plays a larger role when we're younger; but as we grow older and better understand the rules of our society, the latter begins to take over.

And if so, do you think humans are naturally good or evil?

Neither. If I were to use a word to describe what humans naturally are, it would be "selfish." However, I see this as neither an especially bad thing, nor a particularly distinguishing one.

Is morality natural?

If by that you mean an intrinsic property that existed before anything was around to use it, then no. Morality exists because it's made, it doesn't exist and then get used prior to its formation.

If morality isn't natural but still exists, then why does it exist?

Because society needs a way to control itself. There's a reason why most cultures have "don't kill" and "don't steal" as part of their moral code. It didn't take long for humans to realize that society doesn't last long when you let things like that go on.

Salty the Hero

self loafer
Awards
morals? I hardly know 'er! haha no but to answer your question i am an anarchist.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
the real problem with morality and ethics is that they can be mutated. Changed to steer us away from doing things that could in the long run be good for us. They, like most-if not all-other truths, can be dictated by the ruling class be it the government, the church, big corporatons, the military, etc. It's enough to make you think who's really diddlied up: the "insane criminal" or the rest of society? Of course that depends on the subject but all too often people are quick to answer without thinking about it, simply because they were raised to see things the way they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back