• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Mulan (2020)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I just thought that if Mushu is in this (and he's bound to be CGI if he is) Eddie Murphy can be voice him again right? That would be a cool shout out to the original.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
After they go through the awful hurdles of finding a racially appropriate cast, i am willing to accept Eddie Murphy in the film.

seriously, I want Eddie Murphy to prance around the movie in a giant mushu costume.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
So first it was Maleficent. Then it was Cinderella followed by: The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo, and now Mulan.

What's next? :p

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Well, that's a shame. Personally I still question why they'd make live action movies of their previous animated material at all. Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty I can understand but this, Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King, which they recently announced is getting this treatment too, are far more recent in comparison. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but were there not any songs in the Cinderella live-action either?

Muke

whatever
Awards
Oh man! I really love reflection and most of the Mulan songs. :/

Knuxpyro56

To be fair, Mulan wasn't really a musical per say. The soundtrack only had 5 songs:

Bring Honor To Us All
Reflection
Ill Make a Man Out of You
A Girl Worth Fighting For
True to Your Heart.

And what even more glaring is that you watch it today and realize that all of the songs are performed in the first half (only songs that were played in the second half was True to Your Heart(End Credits Theme) and a 45 second reprise of Ill Make a Man Out of You.)

Last edited:

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
That's something I've noticed, as well. I lovelovelove Mulan's soundtrack, but I'm taking this as them hopefully doing a completely original story, maybe even with a bi Mulan since Disney already had her come out in OUAT, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I think it's also fair to mention the only live action remakes that kept their songs were Beauty and Jungle (or at least, I'm told they do, I have yet to watch them). Cinderella, Maleficent, and the newest Alice had none of the original songs, though again, Male and Alice weren't remakes but separate stories/installments.

Either way, yeah, it'd have been cool to see a live action remake of some of these songs, but I'm much more excited about the idea of a new, original story.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
The lack of music raises some major red flags for me. Albeit, the singing in the Beauty and the Beast remake is arguably one of the lesser parts of the film, and the Cinderella remake, which I enjoyed, avoided using music for the most part as well. Milan's soundtrack does seem to be more beloved than Cinderella's though, and having a Disney Mulan without I'll Make a Man Out of You seems blasphemous.

That said, I'll keep my hopes up after I enjoyed Cinderella, Pete's Dragon, Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast all in some capacity. I'm just a little more cautious this time around.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
The lack of music raises some major red flags for me. Albeit, the singing in the Beauty and the Beast remake is arguably one of the lesser parts of the film, and the Cinderella remake, which I enjoyed, avoided using music for the most part as well. Milan's soundtrack does seem to be more beloved than Cinderella's though, and having a Disney Mulan without I'll Make a Man Out of You seems blasphemous.

That said, I'll keep my hopes up after I enjoyed Cinderella, Pete's Dragon, Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast all in some capacity. I'm just a little more cautious this time around.
the director walked back her statement and said that the movie having music from the OG film is up in the air at this point due to the backlash, so there's a good chance we'll see familiar tracks in some capacity- however, the fact that she wants to make the movie "girly" doesnt inspire hope and actually sort of defeats the damn purpose.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Being a strong female character doesn't equate to "not girly" though. I'd have to hear what exactly she means with that word.

What would be nice is if they used "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" from the original film and then brought in Stephen Schwartz in to write 3-4 new songs to make it feel more like a complete musical rather than a movie with a couple of songs like the TJB Live-Action film. Schwartz was originally supposed to do the music with Alan Menken for Mulan, but he was working on The Prince of Egypt at the same time and Disney made him choose between projects. Naturally (the best choice) he went with TPoE. It would be a come-full-circle moment if they brought him in for this film.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
O?

Didn't you know that in this modern twist of a classic, the Huns invade America.

And Fa Mulan's real name is Mulan Turner. Played by Bella Thorne. Her best friend is Chinese though, so take that people complaining about whitewashing!

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't believe Disney emphasized any feminist angle with this film; as for the crossdressing, I don't particularly remember much focus on it outside gags for comic purposes. Mulan, as a story, would be feminist without much trying.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
OK, but there's an entire subplot of the movie surrounding Mulan's decision to cross-dress placing her life in danger because Disney decided people must have been put to death in China for that.
Or the way Disney titled its major ensemble piece "I'll Make a Man Out of You" in a movie where a woman is presenting as a man.

You're right that they didn't need to change anything in order to maintain an empowering message with Mulan. Which makes one question why they changed practically everything about it, including prominent aspects of Chinese culture and history which they decided should probably just be Japanese instead. They changed the enemies to an equally ill-portrayed "Hun" army, shoehorned in the Orientalism trifecta of "honor, ancestor, magical dragon", and as you mentioned of course, used MtF cross-dressing as a gag which would be unsuitable for a "real man."

There are things to like about the animated movie. I love Lea Salonga's voice and Mulan was the Disney heroine I probably most identified with as a kid. But I'm not Chinese and it doesn't matter if I identify with her, what matters is that the movie pays respect to Chinese history and Chinese people, and whether consciously or inadvertently distorting East Asian culture as some monolith of interchangeable symbols and stereotypes when China alone is home to more cultural diversity than the whole of western Europe is not acceptable and should not be defended in 2017.

I hope the live action movie does a better job. Considering they wanted to make the movie about a white guy who rescues Mulan and becomes her love interest and had to be petitioned out of that, uh, yeah.

Back