• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Mulan (2020)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...MECg&usg=AOvVaw06iFVRKc7PyrF1L_wsEH4f&ampcf=1
mulan.jpg

First look at Yifei Mulan

Muke

whatever
Awards
Looks pretty fine so far. My only gripe is that she‘s participating in war in which warriors fight with swords and otherwise sharp objects.. with her hair down. Seems like it‘d be very easy for someone to just grab a fistful of her hair and slam her to the ground.

I just feel like they‘re trying too hard to make her LOOK like a strong woman when there are other ways to portray that

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Well at least they nailed the Chinese aesthetic. Still waiting on Mushu
Looks pretty fine so far. My only gripe is that she‘s participating in war in which warriors fight with swords and otherwise sharp objects.. with her hair down. Seems like it‘d be very easy for someone to just grab a fistful of her hair and slam her to the ground.

I just feel like they‘re trying too hard to make her LOOK like a strong woman when there are other ways to portray that
Yeah the hair thing bothered me as well. She should have cut it short like in the original film

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Did they not plan this specific live-action remake? It's like their studios are on auto-pilot and are doing these works for the sake of doing them, for fuck's sake.

LostArtist

Awards
honestly it's not a big deal for me that this version is not a musical and has a bunch of differences from the animated one. I could always go back and watch the original disney Mulan if I wanted to. And looking at the trailer, with the narration and acting and music score, fight choreo, and especially that family moment, it looks good to me.

Megavoltage

Awards
Even if he annoyed her(and some of the audience!) Mushu gave Mulan someone she could honestly talk with, someone who knew about the secret she was keeping. The story will be a bit awkward without that. The main character needs someone they can casually chat with once in a while.

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Did they not plan this specific live-action remake? It's like their studios are on auto-pilot and are doing these works for the sake of doing them, for fuck's sake.

No, in fact they are trying to be more faithful to the original tale and not recreate the animated film which was really offensive to the Chinese audience back when the film released.

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
At face value, it looks like a decent production of a Chinese action film. So at the least, the action's gonna be top-notch. Not sure about acting or execution of the story but only time will tell i guess.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Even if he annoyed her(and some of the audience!) Mushu gave Mulan someone she could honestly talk with, someone who knew about the secret she was keeping. The story will be a bit awkward without that. The main character needs someone they can casually chat with once in a while.
Plus having Mushu would have been a cute nod to fans of the animated film while still making a faithful adaptation. You could have even made him a more dignified character(while still keeping some of his comedic elements) to fit the more serious tone.

It's unfortunate

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yes, this movie's not going to be the same now they've removed Mushu, the music, and even Mulan's grandmother for God's sake. *eyeroll* Like why even re-make a film that was popular exactly the way it is just to completely change it? Make something new if that's what you want to do, damn.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yes, this movie's not going to be the same now they've removed Mushu, the music, and even Mulan's grandmother for God's sake. *eyeroll* Like why even re-make a film that was popular exactly the way it is just to completely change it? Make something new if that's what you want to do, damn.
Oh they removed her grandmother too? Now we won't get that hilarious scene were she crossed the street with her eyes closed.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It’s literally the original tale of Mulan. Literally the tale they took and butchered with late 90s/early 2000s western sensibilities.

If this is the argument people want to use, then people should be upset at the animated Mulan for being nothing like the original ballad.

I get the anger. I was upset too. Shang and Mushu were characters I really liked. It’s clear Disney is even using Mulan’s original marketing imagery to sell this film, but in the end it is them trying to be more considerate and accurate to the original source material, not their own version that was China perceived through a rather insensitive western lens. Disney is trying to do something right for once by not making a 1:1 remake and everybody is so hung up on their nostalgia rather than looking into what it was about Disney’s Mulan that was upsetting to a number of Chinese people.

Edit: heck, like half of the animated film’s humor would not fly by current standards. I watched it the same day the trailer for this dropped and between the depiction of the Huns, the cross-dressing jokes, and pretty much every interpretation of very specific things in Chinese culture would not be acceptable if made today. The misogyny was definitely over the top, too, even if it is all done with the purpose of showing these characters change in the end to be more accepting.

These last few days have been very enlightening to me about the people of this forum. The absolute lack of cultural sensitivity and understanding for the sake of pushing all sorts of wild arguments for the sake of what? Our 90s nostalgia? The color of some hair? The color of some skin because of “science”? “Artistic integrity” that means absolutely nothing? A dragon and some songs? Jesus.

Last edited:

Muke

whatever
Awards
I think people just seriously have to take off their evident nostalgia goggles. Both TML and Mulan suffer from them. And if anybody is going to throw in the “but it’s a remake!” argument in here — so what?

Disney wants this movie to do well. China is probably the second most important factor when it comes to that - which is why they’re trying to fix the mistakes that were made in the original which was, as already mentioned, very poorly received by the Chinese (rightfully so!).

Some people just can’t be pleased. If it’s a shot-for-shot remake, Disney is lazy. If it’s trying something different, Disney is ruining childhoods.

I am disgusted by so many people on the Internet. It’s a drag.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
As someone who hates the poor recreations of the animated films, I'm fine when they'd rather do something else. Like, as much as I think Will Smith was a poor choice for Genie, I appreciate that they didn't try to copy Robin Williams. I also liked the addition of Dalia.

Disney should focus more on the spirit of the original films rather than an exact recreation.

Good thing she's not fighting other women. That's pretty much the first thing we broads do when in a fight! Yet interestingly, I've never see men do this, even when they have long hair.

Back