• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My curiosities about The Divine Comdey's Influance in Videogaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tails_Night

Bronze Member
So I was out present shopping for my brithday, seeing as the family decided to give me a Gamestop card with some green on it for my present, I had bought 2 games to refresh my PSP's action pool, one being Dantes Inferno, the other was a close tie between sid meiers pirates and this seeminglingy out of the mainstream game I had recalled hearing about once in a magazine review, Rangoku 2, The starway to heaven, I ended up gettting the latter. Now the irony of the two games I had gotten is both I later found out were based on the Divin Comedy by Dante.
Which leads me to my next umm... nerdy videogame epitome, How many other games or how many more have been based or had a lot of basis from the epic poem?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
the thing about the divine comedy is that it is one of the most influential books in western culture. it had a profound effect on not only the written word but on the minds of the people. his vivid portrayal of hell is by and large how people envision it to this very day.

the problem with saying it was "based on" the divine comedy comes with just how loose people are with the association. jesus christ just look at the wholly offensive dante's inferno game. it has absolutely nothing to do with the story whatsoever but its creators claim they "love" the source material.

Tails_Night

Bronze Member
yeah thats basically what I'm getting at, I even checked out the book to see what the basis is, honestly about 5 minutes ago, because when I heared based I thought maybe some sorta shakespearean-style linguistics but instead normal english and I doubt a man would write a play about a man saving his love by slauighter thousands of demons with deaths scythe, and I very much doubt he had an AI being in mind. But when I hear them say based, most of the time I don't expect to be exact, but loosely based.

And I see what your saying because the more I think about it, I realize many depictions are alike, from the circles of hell being a common phrase, to even the mental conception.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
The Divine Comedy, by Dante Alighieri, was the base of today's Italian. It was printed and used to unify Italy under a single language. The reason why you see it as 'normal English' is because it was translated into English, derp.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
The Divine Comedy, by Dante Alighieri, was the base of today's Italian. It was printed and used to unify Italy under a single language. The reason why you see it as 'normal English' is because it was translated into English, derp.

was anyone even questioning that it was written in italian originally?

E

Eyesore

the thing about the divine comedy is that it is one of the most influential books

This.
It's one of the greatest stories ever told.
I'm sure a substantial amount of VGs have drawn inspiration (though I obviously can't name them off).

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
devil may cry is probably the most prominent example of a video game influenced by the divine comedy. dmc borrowed quite heavily from the divine comedy, from the obvious names of characters to angelic/infernal hierarchies and visual design

there are a lot more subtle references out there if you know how to spot them

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
One thing that comes to mind, minor it may be, Final Fantasy IV. Several of the villains were named after demons appearing in The Divine Comedy.

Tails_Night

Bronze Member

I was talking about Dantes inferno about that part >.> the book I'm reading is from 1950, so I'm sure the copy hasn;'t been localized or modernized.
*thinks back to DMC days and FFIX, thats true I never noticed those correlations, then again I've never read The Divine comedy until this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back