• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My life in the army

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

daxter fan

Chapter 1: Basic Training

A tank driver, serving in the 188th brigade at the Israeli Defense Forces. How it all began?
It was a sunny day, the day I recruited was a day of mess. In a matter of a day I turned from a citizen into a soldier. I had to go through hours of checkouts, bored to hell, cut m hair. get stabbed by 5 syringes and lastly, wear the uniforms I grew to hate. We drove 8 hours straight to the desert into a deserted base called Shizafon. It's the base of training the generations of the armored corps, to become one of the team of 4. A gunner, a loader and a driver and a commander, whom is chosen only after the training- meaning you gotta be one of the professions first..
A gunner- Usually the geeks get picked for that, all those guys who you can see that played video games all their lives. Well they do have to play with pads to shoot.
A loader- the guy who loads the missile. Gotta have rough body, and the ability to do all the hard work and shut up.
A driver - usually the lazy guys and those they want to put in the commander course after we finish all the training.
A commander- well, a commander is a commander.

The basic training started, we had to run all day from place to place and get into formation for every single thing. We had been given times to do each tasks, to eat to go from one place to another, to sleep, to breath even. And when we failed, they would beat our asses with hours of grinding push ups.

The basic training was not an easy thing, even for a tankist. And moreover, especially not for me. My grandfather died a week before I recruited, and my personality started regressing due to the mental challenge I had to go through. I was depressed too, not wanting to serve in the armored corps, wanted to be a real infantry soldier. But I failed to get what I wanted. Most of the guys at the training thought I was suicidal because I was depressed, and they were right, I was depressed as shit. There were days I skipped meals, and days I didn't eat at all.

The first weeks of basic training were about shooting, me and my M16a1, Sonia were mediocre and above. Never failed a session. I enjoyed the most the night sessions, we all sat with out war vests in the middle of the desert with the light of the stars, trying not to fall asleep so the sergeant won't give us anymore pushups to do... or worse.. start running in complete darkness.

The thing that broke me, for a reason was the war week. It's a week we had to go to a week of field activity simulating war. I didn't eat anything for 3 days. And I was as weak as a bug. I could barely keep up with the group, and I didn't tell anyone. nobody cared, and I didn't care either. They thought I was weak, but I was stronger than the most. None would pass those 3 days alive with no food and not squeak.

That was the first part of training.. Now I gotta go to my guarding shift. Will continue this.

Ehres

` dragon dance
Awards
This actually really moved me.

My boyfriend used to serve under The Light Dragoons in the British Army. He originally joined up under The Queen's Lancashire Regiment in 2005 but was dismissed a year later with a serious knee injury. In 2008 when he was fit again he rejoined. He'd been to Ireland and France and Afghanistan before, and had been shot but had survived, and even though he said they were the most frightening days of his life he wouldn't have it any other way. Two weeks before he died last July he sent me an e-mail detailing how afraid and yet exhilarated he was to be fighting, which he thrived off. I'm glad that he died doing what he was really passionate about.

Good luck, daxter. Keep your head high.

Raiton Kensei

Peace through Violence
Awards
Cool. I went to Basic training is Fort Leonard Wood. I enjoyed it and thought it was kind of fun. I remember war week but because our war week was late it ended up being only 3 days long cause we had to graduate. Cant wait to read more. I like to hear how other people experience with Basic was since I'm one of the handful that actually like every second of it.

Jolts

I've heard plenty about the IDF through various programs at my synagogue but it's still moving to hear a story like this.
It sounds like you've had a really tough time, I know I wouldn't have even been able to last as long as you have under those circumstances.
It's gonna be hard but keep it up, Israel needs you right now.

Rabello

Dude, sup.

Corporal of the Finnish Defence Forces.

There's quite alot of the same stuff I went through. Well, The basic training wasn't all that bad since I have been working out my entire life, but the mental side of it was horrible. Standing outside when it was cold as shit almost nothing on you, not being allowed to move to make the blood move... And even if someone fainted (and there was always one that fainted), we would have to keep being "soldier-like"...

In here drivers are the lazy guys as well. almost always being the most fat of the bunch ect.

We didn't have a single war week. We had many. first was like one week, sencond was 1 week as well and the third one was 1 week. 4th one was 2 weeks in lappland, most horrible time of my life. I slept for 4 hours during the first week and 6 hours during the second week. Sometimes we got food, sometimes they ran out before we got any and one time our suply car broke down before reaching us.

Keep your chin up and don't quit, because it just means someone else has to do your work. Only visit the doctor if you must ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back