• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

My vision of the future of Roxas in the following parts.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Nukara

Awards
Back in 2012, Nomura said that Roxas will remain an important character for future KH series. And at least in KH3 he was given little time. It seems to me that a character with such an amazing origin and two keyblade should not stay in the shadows.
Here is my version of the further development of the plot with him: First of all, I think Roxas will try to look for a place in this world because of what he will often ask questions about himself and with the load of information that he has now, questions will increasingly go unanswered . The fact that he remained inside Sora for a long period of overturn should not pass without a trace, perhaps this will make him more withdrawn and suspicious. By the fact that I saw one of the topics of the subsequent parts of KH there will be a family theme.
Lea will try to be the perfect “brother” for Roxas and Xion, but due to the loss of Sora, Roxas will feel pressure on himself, because even though he became an independent person, he still came from Sora and somehow without associations with him will not pass.
Tembolee if a person with a similar face walks alongside, Roxas can begin to believe that Lea is friends with him only because he looks like Ventus.
Also being nobody Sora, Roxas may feel a connection between him and Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, because of the deep memories that are hidden in him.
Also returning to Lea / Axel, Roxas may begin to compare his lineage from Sora, because both of them have become independent people with the situation that now exists with Lea / Axel. Roxas may begin to separate Lea from Axel.
Considering everything that happened with Roxas, in his style to ask such philosophical questions.
This is probably temporarily but alienating him from his two friends, which Luxu could use to try to use Roxas for his own purposes.
This is just my vision of what could happen to Roxas, so that he remains an important character for the narrative in KH.
And what is your future Roxas vision on this? Share in the comments please?

Veevee

Awards
I'd actually hope he stays behind. I don't like him much and I don't feel he's a very interesting character - also he always longed for a normal life with friends, stupid homework and summer vacation and Lea could go looking for X with Isa alone. He might go look for Sora, but Riku and the king probably will be going anyway and I'd actually prefer we don't have that big of a cast again. Ventus' involvement is already pretty secure and Terra and Aqua should tag along so we can finally see the friendship part of these guys.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I liked how Roxas was used in all of the games prior to KH3 to ask the philosophical questions. I think that KH3 was the end of his story. I love Roxas, but I don't think it would really suit his character to continue being a keyblade wielder. I think it would be great to see him lose his ability to wield the keyblade(s) as time passes, since it would show that he truly is disconnected from Sora.

I wouldn't mind checking in on him (and Xion) living normal lives with Hayner, Pence, and Olette in Twilight Town, if we ever have to visit there in the future.

Nukara

Awards
I liked how Roxas was used in all of the games prior to KH3 to ask the philosophical questions. I think that KH3 was the end of his story. I love Roxas, but I don't think it would really suit his character to continue being a keyblade wielder. I think it would be great to see him lose his ability to wield the keyblade(s) as time passes, since it would show that he truly is disconnected from Sora.

I wouldn't mind checking in on him (and Xion) living normal lives with Hayner, Pence, and Olette in Twilight Town, if we ever have to visit there in the future.
I do not think that he will lose the ability to keyblade, he would have lost it then from the very beginning for he would become a self.
Well, it will be a big loss to lose such a unique owner of two keyblade.
It also seems to me that after all that has happened to him he will no longer be able to be the same sweet child.
Well, Roxas is just too popular, Axel was returned for the same reasons. ))

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I do not think that he will lose the ability to keyblade, he would have lost it then from the very beginning for he would become a self.
Well, it will be a big loss to lose such a unique owner of two keyblade.
It also seems to me that after all that has happened to him he will no longer be able to be the same sweet child.
Well, Roxas is just too popular, Axel was returned for the same reasons. ))
I think what made Roxas popular was how emo he was (at least for me, that's why I liked him lol). I really enjoyed seeing his story play out, but after the numerous times that Roxas showed that he just wanted a normal life it would go against what we know about him to see him become a keyblade master and have journeys. I'm sure if something happened and he was asked to help, he would, but I just don't see him going out on his own. I think the most we will see Roxas from now on is the guardian of Twilight Town with Hayner/Pence/Olette (and Xion).

What I meant by him losing access to the keyblade was that as time goes by, he will become less and less "attached" to Sora. Because the split was made so recently in KH3, I believe he was still able to wield the keyblade then and there, but I think it would be interesting to see him lose the ability later on as he becomes more "himself" and distanced from Sora (the same should happen to Xion). Roxas and Xion want to be their own people who are not a part of the clash between light and darkness, it would be really bad to see Sora beg them to rejoin it, especially when he has access to Riku, Aqua, Terra, and Ven (actual keyblade users with their own keyblades). Speaking of Ven, Roxas shouldn't even be able to dual-wield anymore... but that's another story.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
While it's kind of hard to determine a new arc for Roxas in the next saga I'm sure him and Xion will still be involved in Lea's and Isa's goal in finding Subject X/Skuld. What might be interesting is seeing if he has any of Ventus' memories

Nukara

Awards
I think what made Roxas popular was how emo he was (at least for me, that's why I liked him lol). I really enjoyed seeing his story play out, but after the numerous times that Roxas showed that he just wanted a normal life it would go against what we know about him to see him become a keyblade master and have journeys. I'm sure if something happened and he was asked to help, he would, but I just don't see him going out on his own. I think the most we will see Roxas from now on is the guardian of Twilight Town with Hayner/Pence/Olette (and Xion).

What I meant by him losing access to the keyblade was that as time goes by, he will become less and less "attached" to Sora. Because the split was made so recently in KH3, I believe he was still able to wield the keyblade then and there, but I think it would be interesting to see him lose the ability later on as he becomes more "himself" and distanced from Sora (the same should happen to Xion). Roxas and Xion want to be their own people who are not a part of the clash between light and darkness, it would be really bad to see Sora beg them to rejoin it, especially when he has access to Riku, Aqua, Terra, and Ven (actual keyblade users with their own keyblades). Speaking of Ven, Roxas shouldn't even be able to dual-wield anymore... but that's another story.
I thought that having a keyblade is enough to have a strong heart.
Therefore, it is possible that Roxas is able to still trigger two keyblades, since it is very strong.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
*Sigh* I think it's time to give it a rest... Tbh, as much as I share your desire in wishing more from the character (especially after he basically contributed nothing to Kh3-- a game set to be a satisfying conclusion for all of the returning characters, and one in which Nomura outright stated he was top secret, i.e. important in), it's clear that the majority of fans (and probably the writers too) just don't share that same desire or interest. Just look at how all the pre-existing tensions between him and other characters (as well as his duel weilding) got handwaved/never actually addressed in KH3. That should've been an obvious red flag for me, but I guess I just didn't want to acknowledge it. Also next to Xion, he's one of the few characters that doesn't have any kind of a storyline set in place for him in the future. Popularity aside, years of waiting for the character to return and getting minimal reward aside, things are probably set up that way for a reason. It's a painful pill to swallow, but I don't expect the character to ever really get that much focus from this point on. If I'm being realistic, I think we could hope for a minor or background role at best, and even then that'd just be all the more dissapointing and frustrating.

In terms of your ideas though, I think you've got some pretty interesting concepts. There's definitely potential left with the character, but whether or not enough people are interested in that being explored is ultimately going to be the determining factor of if we'll actually get to see it used. Though again, as I said, that doesn't seem to be the case, so I refuse to keep getting up my hopes up speculating over something that's most likely not going to happen (KH3 disappointed me thoroughly enough, I don't need anymore things tainting my feelings for this series to the point of bitterness, lol).

HakaishinChampa

Awards
I thought that having a keyblade is enough to have a strong heart.
Therefore, it is possible that Roxas is able to still trigger two keyblades, since it is very strong.
I was thinking that either Roxas has another heart inside him (which is very unlikely) or he's using the Two Become One Keyblade but he's using a Keyblade Transformation to split the Keyblade into Oblivion and Oathkeeper. (Like how Axel turns his Keyblade into his Chakrams)

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
*Sigh* I think it's time to give it a rest... Tbh, as much as I share your desire in wishing more from the character (especially after he basically contributed nothing to Kh3-- a game set to be a satisfying conclusion for all of the returning characters, and one in which Nomura outright stated he was top secret, i.e. important in), it's clear that the majority of fans (and probably the writers too) just don't share that same desire or interest. Just look at how all the pre-existing tensions between him and other characters (as well as his duel weilding) got handwaved/never actually addressed in KH3. That should've been an obvious red flag for me, but I guess I just didn't want to acknowledge it. Also next to Xion, he's one of the few characters that doesn't have any kind of a storyline set in place for him in the future. Popularity aside, years of waiting for the character to return and getting minimal reward aside, things are probably set up that way for a reason. It's a painful pill to swallow, but I don't expect the character to ever really get that much focus from this point on. If I'm being realistic, I think we could hope for a minor or background role at best, and even then that'd just be all the more dissapointing and frustrating.

In terms of your ideas though, I think you've got some pretty interesting concepts. There's definitely potential left with the character, but whether or not enough people are interested in that being explored is ultimately going to be the determining factor of if we'll actually get to see it used. Though again, as I said, that doesn't seem to be the case, so I refuse to keep getting up my hopes up speculating over something that's most likely not going to happen (KH3 disappointed me thoroughly enough, I don't need anymore things tainting my feelings for this series to the point of bitterness, lol).
Roxas is my favourite character in KH and I loved what they did with him in KH3. Maybe it's because I wasn't hyped by Nomura (I didn't even know he said that Roxas had a secret/important role). Maybe it's because I was one of the people that was hoping Roxas would never return (mostly due to loving that Roxas CHOSE to sacrifice himself so that Sora could become whole). I felt like his return in KH3 was fan service to give him a "happy ending", while also driving the KH3 plot. I was just playing Twilight Town again and I feel like Vexen's betrayal was more severe than we are lead to believe in KH3. It seemed like Ansem/Xemnas were trying to lead Sora to the replicas and to figure out "Ansem's Code" to split himself from Roxas without becoming a heartless. I feel like Vexen may have promised Xemnas a way to get Roxas and Xion back into the Organization, but due to Vexen's betrayal, they were only able to get Xion.

Anyway, even without that theory, I thought that the Axel/Roxas/Xion hug was all I needed from them. Would I like to hear more about his life after KH3? Sure... but I'm the kind of person that likes things to end when it's at its best. Roxas' story feels completed, so adding anything else will take away from what's been done.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Roxas is my favourite character in KH and I loved what they did with him in KH3. Maybe it's because I wasn't hyped by Nomura (I didn't even know he said that Roxas had a secret/important role). Maybe it's because I was one of the people that was hoping Roxas would never return (mostly due to loving that Roxas CHOSE to sacrifice himself so that Sora could become whole). I felt like his return in KH3 was fan service to give him a "happy ending", while also driving the KH3 plot. I was just playing Twilight Town again and I feel like Vexen's betrayal was more severe than we are lead to believe in KH3. It seemed like Ansem/Xemnas were trying to lead Sora to the replicas and to figure out "Ansem's Code" to split himself from Roxas without becoming a heartless. I feel like Vexen may have promised Xemnas a way to get Roxas and Xion back into the Organization, but due to Vexen's betrayal, they were only able to get Xion.

Anyway, even without that theory, I thought that the Axel/Roxas/Xion hug was all I needed from them. Would I like to hear more about his life after KH3? Sure... but I'm the kind of person that likes things to end when it's at its best. Roxas' story feels completed, so adding anything else will take away from what's been done.
Aside from that one hug and his exposition about the replicas (which honestly isn't a whole lot), they didn't really do a whole lot. It's just a bit disheartening to think that for so many years I've been waiting & hoping for a bigger future for this character only for the idea to essentially end up being an afterthought to the writers and the majority if the character's own fans, lol. Bad luck I guess. That said, I totally get where you're coming from, even if I can't actually relate. I just wish the character actually got the chance to properly be an active protagonist (like Sora, Riku, and the BBS trio) instead of essentially being forced by every outside force imaginable to a specific conclusion (his rejoining with Sora). Because regardless of whether the act of physically joining with Sora was a willing act or not, he had essentially lost everything he had to live for by that point. His best friends were dead (as far as he knew), the organization wanted him dead, DiZ and Riku were going to hunt him down till the end of time, and he had mixed feelings about Namine at best. There really wasn't any other way out for him, other than to at least do the deed himself. That's why I can't see that as an entirely selfless act, or at least one that he wasn't strong armed into. But anyway, back to the subject at hand.

In regards to to your final comment, one could make the same, if not a stronger argument for Riku's character, no? His arc ended all the way back in DDD, yet he's still featured prominently in the secret ending of KH3. Why, when there's only so much story you can tell with him? Same with Sora, although to a slightly lesser extent. It just always seemed more like a choice thing to me. If the writers are interested enough in continuing the stories of certain characters, then they'll find a way to no matter whether it's completely necessary or not. Now if they can continue that story satisfyingly or not is another matter entirely, but knowing the KH writers, it'd be foolish of me to hold my breath. In the end, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Aside from that one hug and his exposition about the replicas (which honestly isn't a whole lot), they didn't really do a whole lot. It's just a bit disheartening to think that for so many years I've been waiting & hoping for a bigger future for this character only for the idea to essentially end up being an afterthought to the writers and the majority if the character's own fans, lol. Bad luck I guess. That said, I totally get where you're coming from, even if I can't actually relate. I just wish the character actually got the chance to properly be an active protagonist (like Sora, Riku, and the BBS trio) instead of essentially being forced by every outside force imaginable to a specific conclusion (his rejoining with Sora). Because regardless of whether the act of physically joining with Sora was a willing act or not, he had essentially lost everything he had to live for by that point. His best friends were dead (as far as he knew), the organization wanted him dead, DiZ and Riku were going to hunt him down till the end of time, and he had mixed feelings about Namine at best. There really wasn't any other way out for him, other than to at least do the deed himself. That's why I can't see that as an entirely selfless act, or at least one that he wasn't strong armed into. But anyway, back to the subject at hand.

In regards to to your final comment, one could make the same, if not a stronger argument for Riku's character, no? His arc ended all the way back in DDD, yet he's still featured prominently in the secret ending of KH3. Why, when there's only so much story you can tell with him? Same with Sora, although to a slightly lesser extent. It just always seemed more like a choice thing to me. If the writers are interested enough in continuing the stories of certain characters, then they'll find a way to no matter whether it's completely necessary or not. Now if they can continue that story satisfyingly or not is another matter entirely, but knowing the KH writers, it'd be foolish of me to hold my breath. In the end, it is what it is.
Roxas didn't know Xion was dead, the Organization was trying to kill him (it was pretty vague, he just knew Axel was hunting him), Riku/DiZ were trying to kidnap him (or already had) or anything else. In KH2 when he made the choice to join with Sora, his life was pretty much Hayner/Pence/Olette, so at least in his mind he had a life worth living. Which is why "looks like my summer vacation is over" hurt so much -- we got to know Roxas' life (the 7 days of his new life).

You could say the same about Sora and Riku, except that they are actually main characters in the overall plot of KH. I wouldn't call Roxas a main character, probably a second tier character. Roxas' relevance in the series was to act as the gateway for the player to learn more about nobodies/Organization XIII. Once he served his purpose in KH2/Days, you can see notably how he is used less and less. Roxas was never meant to be an active protagonist in the series. Also, everything that we know about Roxas points to him NOT wanting to be an active protagonist. When he had the keyblade in Days, he never thought about stopping the Organization, he thought about running away to get away from it all. When he regains power of the keyblade in KH2, he doesn't seem fond of it and just wants to go back to hanging out with Hayner/Pence/Olette. Even though Riku's redemption story has come to an end, once something happens to Sora there will always be relevance for Riku in the plot. Roxas... I have no idea. Now that he is his own person, from what we know of Roxas, I don't think he wants any part of keyblades/darkness. He is free to be his own person and shouldn't be tied to all of that just because Sora is. The whole point of this split is because Roxas IS NOT Sora.

What do you think Roxas can do after KH3 that will be satisfying and fulfilling for the character?

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Roxas was more grounded compared to Sora, which is why he became a fan favorite. He wasn't emo, he was just placed in a stressful situation and he reacted like most people would. Suffering has been a constant in his life, and worse he never truly had full control of it. Every choice that he made was already planned by someone, be them DiZ or the Organization. That's his tragedy(and Xion's) that we believed he went on his own terms.

Going back to the topic, Roxas is my second favorite character, and I don't want anyone be them Nomura or somebody else to touch him. I didn't like where the series went post Days and my feelings haven't changed with 3. Leave RAX alone, I want them to have no part in the ridiculous Foreteller saga.

Character wise Roxas was a simple guy, he didn't want an adventure like Sora but the peaceful company of his loved ones. Let him rest, let him be a normal kid, let him enjoy his sea salt ice-cream and more importantly, let him have true control of his life.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Roxas was more grounded compared to Sora, which is why he became a fan favorite. He wasn't emo, he was just placed in a stressful situation and he reacted like most people would. Suffering has been a constant in his life, and worse he never truly had full control of it. Every choice that he made was already planned by someone, be them DiZ or the Organization. That's his tragedy(and Xion's) that we believed he went on his own terms.

Going back to the topic, Roxas is my second favorite character, and I don't want anyone be them Nomura or somebody else to touch him. I didn't like where the series went post Days and my feelings haven't changed with 3. Leave RAX alone, I want them to have no part in the ridiculous Foreteller saga.

Character wise Roxas was a simple guy, he didn't want an adventure like Sora but the peaceful company of his loved ones. Let him rest, let him be a normal kid, let him enjoy his sea salt ice-cream and more importantly, let him have true control of his life.
The most powerful thing about Roxas was that I do think he went on his own terms -- because he knew that was the ONE thing he had control over in his life. It was either choose to join with Sora or someone else would force him/Axel would take him away. He chose when it happened and what I loved about Roxas was that was enough to make him happy -- that one choice.

I didn't even think about the Foreteller saga being what Roxas would be involved with, but now that you reminded me, I definitely want Roxas and Xion far away from that.

shady543

Awards
I'm probably in the unpopular opinion that I want them to still use his character lol. Although I'm probably biased as he has been my favourite for like 10 years, I think he is one of the few really good kh characters and I'd like at least one of my favourites to still have importance... (*cries for vanitas and namine).
Also just reading through the topic, and it never understood me that people read Roxas's realistic reactions in KH2 as 'angtsy' or whatever considering his situation. Him and Riku are the only kh characters who feel like real people to me.
Roxas would want to help out Axel though on this quest, along with Xion. I can see him being the type to not take no for an answer, after all RAX are best friends, so I can see Nomura making RAX as a whole going on a quest for this with Isa if he still wants Roxas in the story.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
Roxas didn't know Xion was dead, the Organization was trying to kill him (it was pretty vague, he just knew Axel was hunting him), Riku/DiZ were trying to kidnap him (or already had) or anything else. In KH2 when he made the choice to join with Sora, his life was pretty much Hayner/Pence/Olette, so at least in his mind he had a life worth living. Which is why "looks like my summer vacation is over" hurt so much -- we got to know Roxas' life (the 7 days of his new life).

He didn't remember Xion, no, but she was still was still very much dead and forgotten either way is my point, so that's one less thing keeping him going. He knew exactly who Axel was the last time he fought him, as he directly recalled their falling out (in which Axel flat out states the organization would destroy him) as soon as he saw him again (further supported by Axel's line: "You really do remember me this time"), and the exchange between the two afterward seemed to have Roxas believe he(Axel) was fading away. He would've figured out that the organization wanted him dead (if he didn't already remember by that point) when Axel exclaimed "but you're too late!" and tried to kill him. We also literally see him recall DiZ and Riku's exchange, as well as the moment he was placed in the virtual TT (and for what purpose). He also works out that his life with HPO was fake when he literally passes through them like ghost and picks up the photo without him in it. The constant time freezing and disconnecting from reality probably didn't help. And even if he didn't figure it out at that point, there's no reason he would've thought he could go back to that life by the time he recalls being placed in the digital TT, because by then everything should've clicked together. The point is it was less him acting completely selfless and more him doing the one thing left that he could to actually control in his life: when it ended (even if he ultimately couldn't do much else). But you already understood that it seems.

You could say the same about Sora and Riku, except that they are actually main characters in the overall plot of KH. I wouldn't call Roxas a main character, probably a second tier character.

*sigh* Right. That's the answer I was expecting. At least now I understand how this works (don't worry over what that means btw).

Also, everything that we know about Roxas points to him NOT wanting to be an active protagonist. When he had the keyblade in Days, he never thought about stopping the Organization, he thought about running away to get away from it all. When he regains power of the keyblade in KH2, he doesn't seem fond of it and just wants to go back to hanging out with Hayner/Pence/Olette. Even though Riku's redemption story has come to an end, once something happens to Sora there will always be relevance for Riku in the plot. Roxas... I have no idea. Now that he is his own person, from what we know of Roxas, I don't think he wants any part of keyblades/darkness. He is free to be his own person and shouldn't be tied to all of that just because Sora is. The whole point of this split is because Roxas IS NOT Sora

I'm not gonna debate over this since it wasn't really meant to be a disscussion, but I appreciate the breakdown at least.

What do you think Roxas can do after KH3 that will be satisfying and fulfilling for the character?

Hm? Honestly, I don't really... care enough to think about it anymore? Not now. I already said this, but I don't realistically expect them to do much of anything with the character going forward beyond minor/background roles, and I've kinda lost interest in speculating about it anyway since it's basically a forgone conclusion. Still, I appreciate you taking interest.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Roxas is my favorite character in the series. RAX is my favorite trio in the series. Days is my...second favorite in the series. So my opinions are totally selfish and bias when it comes to Roxas and all that connected to him. That being said I was fine with Roxas's fate of being a tragedy character. Same with Xion. In the past I would have been fine with Sora just thinking of Roxas from time to time, learning about his friendship with Axel and Xion and doing something to honor them in future games. Like maybe leaving three winner sticks on the clocktower for them in the spots they sat in. That would have been enough for me to be honest, while keeping the tragedy story of RAX intact.

But then they started dropping hints of bringing them back, and made the loophole of Heartless/Nobodies destruction to easily bring back Axel and the rest is history. At first I was a little against it, despite loving the Blank Point scene in BBS as it filled the series with hope. The thing is if you are going to bring these guys back from the dead, then do something with them afterwords. Because while the RAX reunion is one of my all time favorite moments, I don't want it to be just that and then never see them again. Because otherwise just leave them dead. That was part of the charm of RAX for me, I know that sounds horrible, but I cried for them. I cheered for Roxas to beat Riku at the end of Days even though I already knew the outcome. But now that they are back I expect them to be part of the KH universe even if it's something small. I don't expect Roxas and friends to be big players in the Foretellers arc, nor should they be.

I personally would just love to see Roxas and friends school life. The thought of Axel being their legal guardian is hilarious and I'd pay money to see how they live and expand on Isa fitting in with them. But this is more side game territory then KH4. If we ever visit Twilight Town again, just have RAX be your party members for that world and keep them there, similar to Leon's group in Radiant Garden. But if KH3 is their final appearance then I'll be disappointed. You brought them back when you didn't have to, now justify it. Otherwise their revival was pointless imo.

allenleonardo

Awards
I have a really hard time to see him becoming even more upset or sad. He is already quite grumpy next to Sora and I wish that (if he is in other games much) he might turn out a bit more happy.

Since I dont really like Xion that much, I kinda hope that maybe the trios break up a bit (not in the "I am not your friend anymore way") and hang out with other people. For me it felt much more organic with Hayner, Pence, Olette because there was more than just "lets eat icecream" and it could be that Axel (to protect the two) leave them behind on his search for the girl.

In the end I do can see that he might try to look for Sora (because that guy just helped him get a new life) but I can also see him being a normal guy, living as a teenager in Twilight Town and learning the true horror of homework.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I understand that most people want the RAX trio to go. ((

It just feels that way on this forum. There are plenty that want to see RAX continue onward beyond KH3. I see loads of support for them outside of here.

Back