• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

NaNoWriMo 2015!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's that time of year again -- November is fast approaching and with it comes NaNoWriMo!

I've been doing NaNo for a few years now and it's become a tradition for me each November, so I'm super excited about this lol. I figured it would be good to post up a thread for discussion and everything, so we can help each other out with plots and with motivation in general.

I also kind of want to do a "bootcamp" sort of thing, even though it would've been better to do this earlier in the month lol. But if anyone's interested, let me know! It would probably just be a new prompt each day, plus maybe some sprints or word wars.

Feel free to post your NaNo username, if you'd like to share it, so everyone can add each other as buddies on the site! c:

Good luck to everyone doing NaNo this year!! LET'S WRITE ALL THE THINGS >:0

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I'm still trying to decide if I'm doing NaNo this year, to be honest. I have every year since 2009, I believe (except for last year, because my dad was diagnosed with cancer then), so it's a tradition that I've come to love, but...

As much as I'd like to get back into the swing of things this year, I'm having issues with my story idea. I thought I'd work on a novel I had planned eons ago--that I never got around writing for whatever reason--and though the ideas for that were coming perfectly before... I've now hit a wall. I don't know what to do.

Should I abandon that idea for another one that I don't have right now? Try to push through with my old inspiration, despite being at a wall? Or maybe even forego NaNo completely (especially since I'll be distracted by D23. LOL.)?

I don't know yet, but I'll be sure to let you guys know when I do (and I probably will end up joining in, actually, because even though I could use a break from writing, I never seem to know how to keep myself from it. LOL.):)

But good luck to everyone who is for sure writing this year! May you get your stories done, may they be great successes to you, and may you publish them and share your awesome creativity with the world^_^

Eternal Dream

The Messenger
Awards
Sign me up again. You guys know me on there; Eternal Dream. Seriously, this time, I'm getting that story finished! *totally ignores the fact that she has a ton of school related thing due during November, including a nice, long essay on Mark Twain*

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As much as I'd like to get back into the swing of things this year, I'm having issues with my story idea. I thought I'd work on a novel I had planned eons ago--that I never got around writing for whatever reason--and though the ideas for that were coming perfectly before... I've now hit a wall. I don't know what to do.

Should I abandon that idea for another one that I don't have right now? Try to push through with my old inspiration, despite being at a wall? Or maybe even forego NaNo completely (especially since I'll be distracted by D23. LOL.)?

No better time to work on an old idea that you are stuck on than now. Often, it is when you starts writing that your ideas begin to flow again.

Don't let D23 distract you! Let it fill you with joy and the motivation to write, instead lol

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I'll be entering this year.

Anyways, I was wondering how people get selected to win if their stories aren't open to read? Is it something they send to get selected or does it have to do with word count? (Take example Takushi Rena's.)

@LightUpTheSky: You should try to write past the wall then come back to it. Something I usually advise to others, since it seems to work for them, but if you can't then it's okay to start a new idea. Clean slates are nice to work with as well. :)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'll be entering this year.

Anyways, I was wondering how people get selected to win if their stories aren't open to read? Is it something they send to get selected or does it have to do with word count? (Take example Takushi Rena's.)

@LightUpTheSky: You should try to write past the wall then come back to it. Something I usually advise to others, since it seems to work for them, but if you can't then it's okay to start a new idea. Clean slates are nice to work with as well. :)

You win by word count. It is an automated system that counts your characters.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
tumblr_mcm3xhmNaC1rjq31fo1_400.gif

Basically my feelings towards books right now in the middle of semester. NaNoWriMo always seems like a fun thing for me to flex my fingers on, I'm just too lazy or too busy; usually the former. Might partake eventually.

Stannis-Baratheon-1.gif

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
Thank you for the vote of confidence Master Spockanort and KitKat. I really appreciate it:)

I think I will continue with my story idea. Maybe I just have to change what I'm doing with it right now to get back into it?

Like, I was really enjoying it until I tried thinking up the part where the protagonist is filled in on what's going on in the world. At that point the story just lost all its momentum for me (probably because I never have something like that this early in my works, even though I do think it's a better idea to).

Perhaps I should have something explode, or something, so my hero gets half of the info now and half of it later? That may make things exciting again. Hmm...

Anyway, I'm "eolhcsullivan" over there, for anyone who might want to add me^^ Everyone here is more than welcome to!

Eternal Dream

The Messenger
Awards
Something else that could help out is doodling out random scenes, maybe some after the hero finds out this information. You'll have to find a way to connect it later, but I find that that helps me out when I get into a bit of a rut.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
Something else that could help out is doodling out random scenes, maybe some after the hero finds out this information. You'll have to find a way to connect it later, but I find that that helps me out when I get into a bit of a rut.

That's a good idea, actually. I might just have to try that. Thanks a bunch for the advice, Eternal Dream!^_^

It's so weird for me to be stuck with the story like this, though! I've written a lot of novels over the years--and most of them are their own worlds, so I always have to have a lot of exposition--but I've never been as stumped as I am with this one

I really wonder if it is because I'm explaining things so early on. Usually when I write something... I sort of go with the KH style (which actually isn't a good thing, but what can I say? I grew up with this series and therefore I learned a lot of my storytelling from it). You know: where basically you have absolutely no idea what's going on, but hints are thrown out here and there, and eventually the main plot's revealed?

Yeah... saying it out loud like that really brings to light some of the problems my earlier works have. I like KH for not being straight-forward--because I hate things that are too easy to figure out and I just love theorizing--but I know there has to be a better way of balancing both.

So actually explaining things early on in my story is definitely the way I should be going. I just need to find a way to make it work that's exciting, when there's not as much action before it as I'm used to there being. But I'll get there;)

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
Sorry for the double post, but I'd just like to thank you all for telling me to keep with the story and for even offering ideas. I've now gotten through my writer's block, and the story is progressing very smoothly. It wouldn't have happened without all of you, so major thanks^_^

I hope that you're all getting a good start on NaNo and meeting your word counts, btw! If there's anything I might do to help you guys out, and return the favor, let me know!:)

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
*bumps thread* YO WASSUP B|

How's NaNo going for everyone so far? ;w; Hope everyone's doing well with their word counts! :D For anyone who needs help with motivation and what-not, these crawls (this one and this one!) have been insanely helpful for me, so thought I'd share them!

This has been the most difficult NaNo I've been in so far mostly because I have no idea where to go with the story. Usually, this isn't an issue because I make up stuff as I go and let the story build on its own, but I'm letting my inner editor just take over everything, even if I'm not specifically editing the writing as I go. It sucks lol. Also, I don't really want to write at all and I feel like I'm doing this just because I don't want to break my NaNo winning streak. This is so hard lmao

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
*bumps thread* YO WASSUP B|

How's NaNo going for everyone so far? ;w; Hope everyone's doing well with their word counts! :D For anyone who needs help with motivation and what-not, these crawls (this one and this one!) have been insanely helpful for me, so thought I'd share them!

This has been the most difficult NaNo I've been in so far mostly because I have no idea where to go with the story. Usually, this isn't an issue because I make up stuff as I go and let the story build on its own, but I'm letting my inner editor just take over everything, even if I'm not specifically editing the writing as I go. It sucks lol. Also, I don't really want to write at all and I feel like I'm doing this just because I don't want to break my NaNo winning streak. This is so hard lmao

Thanks a bunch for the links, Takushi! I'll have to go check them out;)

And you sound like how I was four years ago, I think. That was my hardest year at NaNo. My story from then ended up being a hot mess. LOL. Mainly because I was writing it after having just finished reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series, and because of that those books kind of rubbed off on me:

I had a million different characters, viewpoint characters, and plot threads, and I just couldn't connect or keep track of them all. I just barely managed reaching the 50K word mark, but I never did finish that story.

There's part of me that would like to (because I do like the idea of it: it's a spin on the Sleeping Beauty fairy-tale that I've never seen done before), but it'll take a lot of revising to try and salvage it. LOL. I hope that you're at least doing better than I was then, though!

And honestly, I wouldn't stress over word counts, or "winning" too much. I mean, the whole point of NaNo is just to get people to work on a novel, right? And you're working on it, so mission accomplished:D The word counts don't even matter, seeing as how novel lengths can vary, I mean.

Anywho, I'm actually doing pretty well this year. I'm enjoying the story, and meeting the recommended word counts each day, but I'm taking it slow, because I've been very sick lately. But honestly? I'm cruising right along with my story this year, so I couldn't be happier^_^

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm participating!
Even though I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to finish it in November...I'm sooo bad at that. XD

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
So far, I got almost 8k words. I know I'm probably way behind, but I'm just trying to beat last year's length. If I can get to 25k words, I'll be fucking surprised. xD

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
So I've been hearing about this quite frequently as of late

What is nanowrimo?

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
So I've been hearing about this quite frequently as of late

What is nanowrimo?

"National Novel Writing Month" (that's what NaNoWriMo stands for^_^): It's a thing that writers do in November of each year (if they want to, that is) to see if they can start and finish a 50K word novel just in that one month.

It's actually a lot of fun, and very encouraging, to know that other writers are doing this the same time that you are and have the same goal in mind.

If it weren't for NaNo, I probably would have never learned how to finish stories, tbh.

Another cool thing about it is that published authors will give you pep talks and stuff like that. And all around, it's something very heartfelt that will get your fingers typing, with word sprints, prompts given to you in the threads, etc.

If you want to give it a try, a link to the site is here: nanowrimo.org/

Hope this helped you!:D

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Wow lol

Thanks for the info but I don't imagine I'll be getting into that this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back