• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

need help with configuring new computer

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikillheartless123

hey im looking to buy a new omputer and i need a little help. most of my attention is on the delll XPS 400,and i know how to configure it just how i want but i am having a hard time making up my mind on something. should i spend around $250 on a "physics accelerator" or spend it on a 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX? if anyone knows what crazy things i am talking about please help and steer me where i want go to get the best gaming pc at an affordable price

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards

Since you're just starting, I'd just recommend getting the X1900. You won't need a physics processor until more games support it. (GRAW is the only one that does right now me-thinks...)

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
GRAW may support it, but not well. I know a guy who has one, says it's really buggy.

Did ATI drop prices? Last I checked, the X1900 XTX was like, $500 (CAD). Depending on the rest of the rig though, you may end up 'bottle-necking' the card though.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
ikillheartless123 said:
hey im looking to buy a new omputer and i need a little help. most of my attention is on the delll XPS 400,and i know how to configure it just how i want but i am having a hard time making up my mind on something. should i spend around $250 on a "physics accelerator" or spend it on a 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX? if anyone knows what crazy things i am talking about please help and steer me where i want go to get the best gaming pc at an affordable price

Right now, there aren't really many, if ANY games that support physics chips.

Your best bet is to place the extra money into a high-power graphics card, or get a better chip/memory..

*Cough*SLI*Cough*

~~Azurith

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
Azurith said:

Your best bet is to place the extra money into a high-power graphics card, or get a better chip/memory..

*Cough*SLI*Cough*

~~Azurith
Or in his case with the XPS Crossfire... (ewww)

But then again, I don't think XPS400's come with stock SLi/Crossfire mobos...

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Azurith said:

*Cough*SLI*Cough*

Agreed. Most games generally don't take advantage of such functions until they essentially become standard on most cards.

T

The Marauder

The PhysX chipset created by Aegia is not something you want to be getting. Few games support it at the moment, and if you are getting a dual-core CPU (and being smart), the addition of a PhysX card may actually hinder your PC. I have read several reviewes in which the addition of a PhysX card caused a significant drop in framerates during games. If you didn't know, that is a very bad thing. The X1900XTX is a good card. Go ahead and upgrade to it. Overall I would suggest building your own PC from scratch instead of going with Dell, but it's your call.

Also as a tidbit: I am building a ~$2,250 gaming PC currently, and I am NOT putting a PhysX card in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back