• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Need some help/explanations/tips for Re:CoM

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Gizoman

Awards
Hey guys, so I'm on my first playthrough of Re:CoM and I'm currently about to go to the 5th floor so I'm coming along. But there's still a lot of questions I have about deck building, strategies, etc. I'm pretty hyper analytical about games I play and want to make sure I'm understanding the game. So please bear with me because it's a lot of overthinking questions that might seem obvious to some or super basic. I'll just list the things I can think of:

How low is an attack card for it to be considered a low-numbered card? 4? For those, is the only point of them as the first card in a sleight?

Is it good to reset my save on moogle rooms until I get good cards? Do you grind high cards early on or does it hurt the experience?

Should I have an attack deck for mobs and a sleight deck for bosses? Or a deck that uses both? I find that where I'm at in the game my attack deck isn't good and gets broken a lot. Do I need to just find higher cards? What's the lowest value you would put in an attack deck? Is it ever worth it to sleight cards together that don't form a real sleight, as just a 3 hit combo? Should I throw a few sleights inside an attack deck?

I want to ask about the order of a deck. Say for an attack deck, Is it best to order a deck based on the strength of the keyblades combos placement, or their numbered value? Also should I order the attack cards as 3-hit combos over and over again? Or with sleight decks, do you consider the order of your cards after you've used the sleight and lost the first card after reloading? Do you make it so it forms a good 3 hit combo with a good strike, thrust, and finish, or forms another type of sleight? Which is going to be more powerful? I'm confused about how to smartly arrange my decks and layer attacks and sleights.

Should I bother strategizing a deck taking into account the recovery stat?

Do you order your decks accounting for screw-ups? Like if you miss an attack?

Is it fine not to use summon cards?

Is magic viable outside of using it to clear mobs?

Is it viable to heavily focus on attack cards and attack sleights over magic and summons? Or do I need a little magic?

How many item cards should i have?

How many zero cards should I aim for in my decks?

I heard someone mention "great" zero cards, what makes some zero cards better than others? I thought functionally they're all the same?

Why is an Ars Arcanum with 0, 0, and 9, better than 3, 3, and 3?

Is it best to play the game defensively (focusing on dodging and retaliating) and rarely throw out attacks and sleights ahead of an enemy's attacks?

Lastly, if you don't mind, could you post three sample decks that would be good for early, mid, and late game? Including the card order. Thanks a million to whoever is cool enough to parse through my insane post.

mouflon

Awards
How low is an attack card for it to be considered a low-numbered card? 4? For those, is the only point of them as the first card in a sleight?

Yeah, low numbered cards are best used as the first in a sleight. That way when you reload, you still have your higher value cards left. Of course if you don’t have too many higher value cards, like early in the game, you might be kinda forced to use lower value stuff. I’d say 5 value cards are basically the borderline for Keyblades. For magic/summons/items, though, I’d be more lenient, especially since the spell cards always seem rarer (i.e. a 3 value Keyblade card I'd just sell for points at the Moogle shop, but a 3 value Blizzard or Cure card I'd keep until I found enough of higher values to replace it). If you only have low value cards, it might be safer to avoid enemies’ attacks until they play a card that’s even lower in value and then break it to attack.

Is it good to reset my save on moogle rooms until I get good cards? Do you grind high cards early on or does it hurt the experience?

I’d say so only if you’re there’s a specific card you really want/need. Getting higher value cards earlier will make the game less of a pain, I won’t say it hurts the experience as such, especially since it’s all RNG and grinding for high value cards is a pain in its own way. Of course as you go farther into the game, you get stronger Keyblade cards, too, so don’t worry too much about getting loads of high value but low strength Keyblade cards.

Should I have an attack deck for mobs and a sleight deck for bosses? Or a deck that uses both? I find that where I'm at in the game my attack deck isn't good and gets broken a lot. Do I need to just find higher cards? What's the lowest value you would put in an attack deck? Is it ever worth it to sleight cards together that don't form a real sleight, as just a 3 hit combo? Should I throw a few sleights inside an attack deck?

Personally I just use one deck, cruise through with my best cards and when it comes to bosses, adjust accordingly. I’ve never had much issue with Disney world bosses myself, it’s more the Organization members I have to adjust for, especially because of their really specific elemental strengths/weaknesses. If you lack high value cards and feel it’s making the game too hard, definitely try to get some more. Maybe rerun older worlds. If you haven’t been, keep unlocking Sleights whenever you can on a level up—Sonic Blade is especially a life saver, and having that lined up in your deck a few times makes mincemeat out of a lot of both common enemies and bosses.

For ordinary encounters, using sleights for 3 hit combos is fine. None of the standard enemies, from what I remember, actually have 0 value cards (I think??) so any sleight over 9 cannot be broken. It saves the frustration of having your attacks broken and speeds up fights.

I want to ask about the order of a deck. Say for an attack deck, Is it best to order a deck based on the strength of the keyblades combos placement, or their numbered value? Also should I order the attack cards as 3-hit combos over and over again? Or with sleight decks, do you consider the order of your cards after you've used the sleight and lost the first card after reloading? Do you make it so it forms a good 3 hit combo with a good strike, thrust, and finish, or forms another type of sleight? Which is going to be more powerful? I'm confused about how to smartly arrange my decks and layer attacks and sleights.

I usually do this:
Set a Cure or zero value cards at the end of my deck. Set all my Magic (and items, if any, though I usually don’t bother with Items until I get Elixir/Megalixir) above the Cure. Set my shortcut to Cure/zero card. The rest of the deck are my Keyblades, so I can go on the basic offensive immediately, instantly switch if I need a heal/break an enemy attack or I can use the shortcut then move only a few cards through my deck to access my magic attack cards.

For Keyblades, unless I’m aiming for specific sleights, I try to balance out the numbers so there aren’t too many low value or high value cards in a row. So something like 8-5-6-9-9-5-7-6 rather than 9-9-8-7-6-6-5 or something.

Once I unlock the Sonic Blade Sleight I try and arrange my Keyblade cards so that I can use Sonic Blade as many times in a row as possible. Probably some people think spamming Sonic Blade cheeses the game but, hey, that's how I roll.

Should I bother strategizing a deck taking into account the recovery stat?
You mean the Keyblade cards’ recovery stat, right? Honestly I never really noticed much difference between them, though that’s probably more my not paying close attention. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Do you order your decks accounting for screw-ups? Like if you miss an attack?
Nope!

Is it fine not to use summon cards?
Absolutely. I don’t think I’ve really ever used the summons much in this game (except really early game where I'm starved for choices) aside from using Mushu for the Mega Flare Sleight (but the earliest you can get that is like… level 68 or something?).

Is magic viable outside of using it to clear mobs?
Yes, the Organization bosses have specific elemental weaknesses. Using 3 of the same element magic (to get it to –ga level, like Firaga) in a sleight can do good damage to them. Some of the Disney world bosses are likely the same, but it's been a while since I've played. I wouldn't say magic is necessary though.

Is it viable to heavily focus on attack cards and attack sleights over magic and summons? Or do I need a little magic?
A little magic is definitely good, but I’d still say attacks and sleights should be more numerous in your deck. That’s how I usually play, plus Keyblade cards are just much more accessible. A magic dominant/magic only run sounds more like a challenge run than anything to me.

How many item cards should i have?
I’ve personally never found the Potion or Ether type cards useful and never really used them. Elixir and Megalixir are useful, though, but you won’t get those until a bit later (I don’t remember what floors you unlock them though). I usually never have more than one myself, both since I rarely need to use them in a battle more than once and because they can be very cost heavy.

How many zero cards should I aim for in my decks?
I find 3-4 is enough. If a particularly boss is giving you trouble with certain sleights, though, adding one or two more might not hurt. Provided you have the CP spare.

I heard someone mention "great" zero cards, what makes some zero cards better than others? I thought functionally they're all the same?
Not sure what a “great” zero card is—a premium card, maybe? Premium cards have lower CP cost, so you can put more in your deck, but they also don’t regenerate (as though you’ve used them in a sleight) even if you’ve used them alone (If I remember right). You have a random chance at the end of a battle of a roulette of your deck appearing. Which card you select during the roulette becomes a premium card. There’s also a roulette room that makes the roulette appear much more frequently.

But yeah, otherwise a zero is a zero. I usually use Kingdom Keys for my zeros since they have a much lower CP cost and I'm using them for breaks not damage output anyway.

Why is an Ars Arcanum with 0, 0, and 9, better than 3, 3, and 3?
My guess is it’s not so much the sleight as it is the cards themselves. The 0 and 9 cards all have uses beyond the sleight (0 for breaking enemy attacks, 9 for being the highest base value card), whereas the 3s are far less useful by themselves. Unless there’s some hidden mechanic I’ve missed; I’ve never really used Ars Arcanum. (Again, I mainly just spam Thunder spells/Sonic Blade when I play, haha)

Is it best to play the game defensively (focusing on dodging and retaliating) and rarely throw out attacks and sleights ahead of an enemy's attacks?
I’d say it’s better to be more offensive than defensive, but to be wary of retaliations. You can dodge enemy attacks anyway, cards or no, but if you’re closing in for an attack with a low value card/low value Sleight, and your enemy suddenly pulls something out to break it, you might not be in a position to dodge since you’ll still be recoiling from the break. This is especially true for bosses since they use Sleights and zeros.

Lastly, if you don't mind, could you post three sample decks that would be good for early, mid, and late game? Including the card order. Thanks a million to whoever is cool enough to parse through my insane post.
Honestly I wouldn’t know where to begin building a full deck without the game in front of me, lol. I think it also depends a bit on your playstyle.

When I play, I go for the Sleights at level up. If no Sleight is available, I almost always go for CP. This means I get access to a variety of Sleights earlier, plus I have higher CP thus more room in my deck for more higher value cards.

As I said before, putting lots of Thunders in your deck is useful throughout the game. Once you an access Thunder, I’d say it’s worth it to spend time picking up a few. Four Thunder cards can get you two Thundaga Sleights and one Thundara Sleight per battle (with a reload) which is pretty good against common mobs. Sleighting three for Thundaga deals loads of damage across a wide range, aside from enemies which resist/absorb electric magic of course.

I think if you ever get stuck/find yourself having trouble, going through all the worlds again can be helpful. You get to grind a bit plus have a chance of getting cards from the environment or having the enemy drop Moodle shop/treasure room cards.

Back