• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► New KINGDOM HEARTS III Re:Mind trailer releasing next week

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Sort of? The problem came from the fact that we were shown more of the game than we expected. There really weren't many important reveals left to experience by comparison. It also wasn't hard to connect the dots for certain things like the Anti-Aqua plot, given that we were pretty much shown every stage of that story.

How Aqua got corrupted didn't even matter in the end, since it held no bearing on anything else in that plot (or any part of the game really), and never actually gets referenced or addressed again. That said, we actually do see her fighting SoD in the trailers without her Keyblade, as well as her physical transformation as she's sinking into the abyss.

We technically did see Ventus up and awake in at least two trailers.

The scene with Xemnas, Larxene, Marluxia, Demyx, and Luxord, again, held no bearing on the plot, doesn't lead to anything or have any connecting scenes, and is pretty much self contained. In that sense, can we even call it a true story beat, or just fluff? Still, it's something I suppose.

We see Xion and Roxas brought back (what facilitated their returns was in the background, and wasn't an actual reveal in and of itself). We see Lingering Will and Terranort. We see Vexen, and even got implications that he might be a spy of sorts in the trailers (based on the diologue). We see Demyx is back, and norted as well. We see Ansem The Wise and SoD discuss Subject X (though we didn't have the context for that). We also see Ansem the Wise talk with Ienzo. We see Repliku, as well as the moment Riku left his broken Way to Dawn (which was also spoiled) behind for him. We see Chirithy and The Final World, as well as the semi transparent Sora running through clones of himself. We see Young Xehanort state his reasons for being in the Toy Story world, and foreshadowing their "missing darkness". We see Vanitas attempt to extract Ventus from Sora, as well as what he and the Unversed (who have also returned) were doing in Monstropolis. We see Dark Riku. We see Larxene talk about the New Seven Hearts. We see Luxord talk about the Black Box. We see Vanitas in the restored Land of Departure. We see everyone die, and Sora's subsequent breakdown (as well the only diologue from both him and Riku that followed that). We see Riku protecting Sora. We see every boss for every Disney world. We see every summon/link in the game. We see every minigame, except for maybe the one in Corona. We see playable Riku. We see every form, and nearly every transformation. We see the Xehanort Replicas, hear that he intends to join with them, and see the arena for the final fight (so pretty much everything leading up to the final battle). We see Let it Go. We see Siax meet with Lea. We see Anti-Aqua of course, as well as her attacking Riku. We see Mickey's new Keyblade then as well. We see Sora find Master's Defender. We see Sora rescue Aqua. There was a point where they officially released 10-15 seconds of Sora fighting Aqua, spoiling that he does, in fact, fight her too. Aw, and we see every single member of the Seekers of Darkness. Also, Young Xehanort and Young Eraqus, as well as Scala Ad Caelum.

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but I distinctly remember seeing all of this stuff in the official promotional material for the game. It may not be absolutely everything there is to spoil, but it's more than a good 80% of the game's actual content. And that's definitely enough to sour the experience for many players.
-----
Anywho, onto the topic. I'm honestly not sure what to even expect at this point. Like, I'm not the least bit excited for it if the base game and that last trailer were anything to go by, but I'm curious about what they decided to include in the end. If I had to guess one thing though, it'll probably be composed mostly of more reused assets.
I mean they had to give us things to speculate and get excited for in the trailers. For example yeah they did show Lea and Saix meeting but we didn't know at what point in the game it would be or the actual topic of their conversation.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean they had to give us things to speculate and get excited for in the trailers. For example yeah they did show Lea and Saix meeting but we didn't know at what point in the game it would be or the actual topic of their conversation.

But the thing is that they gave us too much to speculate on—it was just too much content from the latter half of the game that didn’t need to be shown. They made for cool trailers but the experience would have been more fresh had we not seen all of these key moments play out in trailers.

Also the fact that almost all of the bosses were shown in trailers meant there was nothing to be excited about when we got to the end of each world.

Awards
Is too much to ask for playable mysterious tower and radiant garden? :cry:

I'll keep my expectations in check tho

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Is too much to ask for playable mysterious tower and radiant garden? :cry:

I'll keep my expectations in check tho
I’d hope they could slip the former in, since they had a playable build of that space already made, but my hopes for any existing world outside of the graveyard being expanded upon are low :(

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
But the thing is that they gave us too much to speculate on—it was just too much content from the latter half of the game that didn’t need to be shown. They made for cool trailers but the experience would have been more fresh had we not seen all of these key moments play out in trailers.

Also the fact that almost all of the bosses were shown in trailers meant there was nothing to be excited about when we got to the end of each world.

This is definitely the main thing. Because we were shown so much already, many naturally grew to expect that much more content from the game, since who would've thought they'd show 80+% of it's content in the trailers? And then many people went into the experience fully expecting every single key moment we saw.

For example, I expected Terranort to show up, attack someone, and get halted by Lingering Will. So when it happened, it wasn't really anything I didn't already see coming.

I expected Aqua and Ansem to engage in a battle that ended with her being corrupted, and I also expected there to be some kind of explanation for why she didn't have her Keyblade, which we didn't even get. I already knew she'd fight Riku and Mickey, and I knew that they'd fail and Sora would have to be the one to finish the job (since we not only see Sora find the Master's Defender and fight her one on one, but actually see him save her once she seemingly turned back to normal). In fact, several other people on this forum recognized and criticized this back when we found out the two fought.

I knew Riku's Keyblade would be broken, and I knew he and Mickey would get a new one. I also expected Repliku (who I already knew he was in the game because we physically saw him with Riku in the next trailer) to show up around that time based on Riku's diologue. Which is exactly what happened.

I went into the game expecting Lea and Siax to finally talk about their relationship, and fully expected to get more insight into Siax's motivations because this was pretty much the only realistic opportunity for that. Which is exactly what we got. Even though I didn't know the specifics, the conversation itself, and what it meant, was already pretty clear.

I knew Aqua would ultimately lose to Vanitas once I got to the their fight in the LoD (which I also knew would get restored by Aqua), because I already saw the aftermath in the trailer. And I also knew the Guardians would eventually awaken Ven, because we saw him awake twice already in the trailers.

I expected Vexen to be a traitor working with Siax, because we saw the two speak, and saw Vexen reference Siax while talking to Demyx (in fact, I had already deduced the two would be the ones to restore Xion based on context clues and the characters histories).

I knew Xion would be a Seeker because we saw her with the group on several occasions in the trailers. I also knew both her and Roxas would show up during the end game, since we only ever saw them during the fight in the KG. Meaning they'd get little screentime, which was also a cause for disapointment. And wouldn't you know, that's exactly what happened.

I knew Axel would begin to remember Xion early on, because Kairi's letter from the orchestra concert outright told us this. It became more obvious when we saw Lea cry at Kairi's side, and unless I'm mistaken, we actually saw him see Xion back in the trailer where Kairi said "Don't hold back Lea, promise?"

I expected Sora to be the only GoL to participate in the final battle within Scala, because that was already shown as well. Which was about as disappointing as Sora having to do the work for Riku and Mickey.

I expected the Black Box and New Seven Hearts to be an important factor in the story, because we were shown and told as much in the trailers and other external material. However, neither of these concepts were actually important beyond giving an excuse for the Org members to be out and about. So that was just underwhelming trailer bait.

Do you see what I mean @Zettaflare about how the trailers can skew people's expectations?

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
This is definitely the main thing. Because we were shown so much already, many naturally grew to expect that much more content from the game, since who would've thought they'd show 80+% of it's content in the trailers? And then many people went into the experience fully expecting every single key moment we saw.

For example, I expected Terranort to show up, attack someone, and get halted by Lingering Will. So when it happened, it wasn't really anything I didn't already see coming.

I expected Aqua and Ansem to engage in a battle that ended with her being corrupted, and I also expected there to be some kind of explanation for why she didn't have her Keyblade, which we didn't even get. I already knew she'd fight Riku and Mickey, and I knew that they'd fail and Sora would have to be the one to finish the job (since we not only see Sora find the Master's Defender and fight her one on one, but actually see him save her once she seemingly turned back to normal). In fact, several other people on this forum recognized and criticized this back when we found out the two fought.

I knew Riku's Keyblade would be broken, and I knew he and Mickey would get a new one. I also expected Repliku (who I already knew he was in the game because we physically saw him with Riku in the next trailer) to show up around that time based on Riku's diologue. Which is exactly what happened.

I went into the game expecting Lea and Siax to finally talk about their relationship, and fully expected to get more insight into Siax's motivations because this was pretty much the only realistic opportunity for that. Which is exactly what we got. Even though I didn't know the specifics, the conversation itself, and what it meant, was already pretty clear.

I knew Aqua would ultimately lose to Vanitas once I got to the their fight in the LoD (which I also knew would get restored by Aqua), because I already saw the aftermath in the trailer. And I also knew the Guardians would eventually awaken Ven, because we saw him awake twice already in the trailers.

I expected Vexen to be a traitor working with Siax, because we saw the two speak, and saw Vexen reference Siax while talking to Demyx (in fact, I had already deduced the two would be the ones to restore Xion based on context clues and the characters histories).

I knew Xion would be a Seeker because we saw her with the group on several occasions in the trailers. I also knew both her and Roxas would show up during the end game, since we only ever saw them during the fight in the KG. Meaning they'd get little screentime, which was also a cause for disapointment. And wouldn't you know, that's exactly what happened.

I knew Axel would begin to remember Xion early on, because Kairi's letter from the orchestra concert outright told us this. It became more obvious when we saw Lea cry at Kairi's side, and unless I'm mistaken, we actually saw him see Xion back in the trailer where Kairi said "Don't hold back Lea, promise?"

I expected Sora to be the only GoL to participate in the final battle within Scala, because that was already shown as well. Which was about as disappointing as Sora having to do the work for Riku and Mickey.

I expected the Black Box and New Seven Hearts to be an important factor in the story, because we were shown and told as much in the trailers and other external material. However, neither of these concepts were actually important beyond giving an excuse for the Org members to be out and about. So that was just underwhelming trailer bait.

Do you see what I mean @Zettaflare about how the trailers can skew people's expectations?

With all this being said, in your opinion, do you think the general reception would've been much better for KH3 if they had kept information sparse? I mean KH3's general reception IS that it's good, but you get what I'm saying.

Me, I never really found too much of an issue but looking back at all the points in this thread... Yeah, they really did show a lot. Actually this isn't even just a KH-related issue, this is a Square Enix issue because this happened with some FFXV trailers and even the DLC trailers lowkey gave away too much. As hype as the Final Battle Trailer was... They should've never made that, because it opened so many doors as to why people felt disappointed at the end -- mostly Scala ad Caelum. We knew it as "Cable Town", but we weren't supposed to know that existed, so imagine if they never showed it.

HMK actually had a theory that the reason why they're releasing a trailer now, is not only because TGS is the right stage because of FFVII Remake, but because of the Union X event that's happening tomorrow. Maybe something in the event directly correlates to what they might show in the trailer and had we gotten that earlier, it could have spoiled Union X's (Part 1 at least) event. Guess we'll see tomorrow (or today, I suppose?).

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
With all this being said, in your opinion, do you think the general reception would've been much better for KH3 if they had kept information sparse? I mean KH3's general reception IS that it's good, but you get what I'm saying.

Me, I never really found too much of an issue but looking back at all the points in this thread... Yeah, they really did show a lot. Actually this isn't even just a KH-related issue, this is a Square Enix issue because this happened with some FFXV trailers and even the DLC trailers lowkey gave away too much. As hype as the Final Battle Trailer was... They should've never made that, because it opened so many doors as to why people felt disappointed at the end -- mostly Scala ad Caelum. We knew it as "Cable Town", but we weren't supposed to know that existed, so imagine if they never showed it.

HMK actually had a theory that the reason why they're releasing a trailer now, is not only because TGS is the right stage because of FFVII Remake, but because of the Union X event that's happening tomorrow. Maybe something in the event directly correlates to what they might show in the trailer and had we gotten that earlier, it could have spoiled Union X's (Part 1 at least) event. Guess we'll see tomorrow (or today, I suppose?).
Tomorrow’s UX event is just the same Keyblade War that happened a couple of years back on X. They only upcoming spoilers for anything in KH’s future would be the main scenario update shown in the OP.

Lasirenn

Cool. I was wondering when we'd get more info on the DLC. I actually want to replay KH3 but I'm waiting for Re:Mind to come out.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
On the topic of UX, there's only 1 new scene in the Keyblade War event (so far) and that's an opening monologue by Chirithy reflecting on the overwrite. The entire thing is just his flashback about the KHX finale.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
A few days earlier than I expected, but TGS week is still the best week!

What I want to see:
- A glimpse of the secret episode
- More boss battles
- A more specific release window

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I know some are trying not to get hyped about this, and that is the smart thing to do really. I am not one of those people. I see any news relating to new Kingdom Hearts material and I leap at it like the naive KH fanboy that I am. I want to see more Roxas gameplay footage! I'm crossing my fingers that the other characters get to be playable too. It's okay if they aren't, I'm getting Roxas at least so I'm already happy. Please add Riku and the others in areas where I can take photos and selfies with them. I want to harass all of them so badly in the game with my gummiphone! Please give me that!

Lasirenn

I know some are trying not to get hyped about this, and that is the smart thing to do really. I am not one of those people. I see any news relating to new Kingdom Hearts material and I leap at it like the naive KH fanboy that I am. I want to see more Roxas gameplay footage! I'm crossing my fingers that the other characters get to be playable too. It's okay if they aren't, I'm getting Roxas at least so I'm already happy. Please add Riku and the others in areas where I can take photos and selfies with them. I want to harass all of them so badly in the game with my gummiphone! Please give me that!

I think it's fine to be excited. It's better than the KH3 hate that is still ongoing. I don't understand why people who claimed to have hated the game and are now done with the series are still following KH social media just so they can repeat how much they hated it. It's been 7 months already.

Anyway, I'm not as hyped as I was for the KH3 release, obviously, but after such a long KH drought, it's nice to have something else to look forward to after the main game release and it sounds like we'll be getting a ton of new content. I really hope we get a playable Kairi, but I doubt that will happen.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I think it's fine to be excited. It's better than the KH3 hate that is still ongoing. I don't understand why people who claimed to have hated the game and are now done with the series are still following KH social media just so they can repeat how much they hated it. It's been 7 months already.

Anyway, I'm not as hyped as I was for the KH3 release, obviously, but after such a long KH drought, it's nice to have something else to look forward to after the main game release and it sounds like we'll be getting a ton of new content. I really hope we get a playable Kairi, but I doubt that will happen.

People ain’t logical and tend to be more reactive than anything else.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Tomorrow’s UX event is just the same Keyblade War that happened a couple of years back on X. They only upcoming spoilers for anything in KH’s future would be the main scenario update shown in the OP.

Okay, cause the way they were hyping it up, you would think there'd be new story-related elements for the Keyblade War stuff. I mean in that case, if it's just the same stuff all over again, why even do it?

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Okay, cause the way they were hyping it up, you would think there'd be new story-related elements for the Keyblade War stuff. I mean in that case, if it's just the same stuff all over again, why even do it?

Because UX is both a retelling and continuation of Chi. So it makes sense for them to finally retell the events of the Keyblade War. There hasn’t been an official playable version of the Keyblade War available for the West since browser Chi was for Japanese players only, so this is the first time many will get to experience this part of the story if they haven’t been following along with translations.

CDD

Awards
Reminder to you so-called intellectuals official ads or trailers are in no way "spoilers". If you want to go in blind, don't watch the trailers for the game.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Reminder to you so-called intellectuals official ads or trailers are in no way "spoilers". If you want to go in blind, don't watch the trailers for the game.

You are right on that yes, but that does not mean people can’t criticize the trailers for showing way too much content.

It also isn’t a fair thing to say at all when we have games like Nier Automata that have different versions of trailers and warnings in their spoiler trailer about late-game content, or other companies that know how to market their games on just the first few hours of their game to keep the rest of their game a surprise later on.

Blaming the consumer for being upset that official marketing materials showed way too much content is failing to take into consideration that the consumer has no idea what the content in the trailers is going to end up being. They can’t know what is too much until the game releases where they can only look back in retrospect, but the company knows exactly what they are showing. They chose that content on purpose and know it is late-game content.

People place their trust into these companies in hopes that they will show a fair and balanced amount of content in their trailers that won’t ruin the mystery of late-game events. When they don’t, consumers have every right to be upset.

Things that can be done:

1) warnings like Nier Automata did
2) less late-game content in trailers

Things that shouldn’t be done:

1) blaming people for watching trailers for the previously most-anticipated game of the year
2) insulting people’s intellects for fair criticism
3) defending a corporation that does not care that you are defending their bad practices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back